PDA

View Full Version : This time they really did find a cure for cancer

MagicNakor
10-07-2005, 05:34 PM
A vaccine shown to be 100% effective against two virus strains that cause most cervical cancer could be available within a year, say manufacturers.

Gardasil worked against the sexually transmitted human papillomavirus (HPV).

Some 12,167 women aged 16 to 23 from 13 countries, including the UK, took part in the drug company study.

Researchers believe a vaccine could work best if given before adolescence, but critics fear this could encourage under-age sex.

Merck's vaccine is in head-to-head competition with a rival from UK-based GlaxoSmithKline called Cervarix.

Cervical cancer kills 274,000 women worldwide every year, including 1,120 in the UK.

The two-year Future II trial found Gardasil was 100% effective at preventing early stage cancers and pre-cancerous abnormalities caused by the two key strains of HPV - the 16 and 18 strains - which cause 70% of cervical cancers.

Similar results were previously seen in a smaller trial of 277 women.

These results add to the mounting evidence that cervical cancer vaccines offer great promise for the future
Dr Anne Szarewski, Cancer Research UK

Dr Anne Szarewski, clinical consultant at Cancer Research UK, said: "These results add to the mounting evidence that cervical cancer vaccines offer great promise for the future.

"It appears we may soon be able to prevent the majority of cases. With any disease caused by a virus, the best way to stop it is to prevent it with a vaccine."

However, she said a woman should remember that an abnormal smear result does not necessarily mean she will go on to get cervical cancer. Many abnormalities get better on their own and disappear.

Also, she said it would take many more years to know whether a vaccine continued to offer long term protection and that it was therefore essential to continue with cervical screening - women attending for regular smear tests.

Julietta Patnick, director of the NHS Cancer Screening Programmes, said regular cervical screening was the best way of preventing cervical cancer.

All women registered with a GP should receive their first invitation at 25 and then every three years until they are 49. Women between 50 and 64 will be invited every five years.

Licence bids

Cambridge University's Professor Margaret Stanley said: "The results of Future II are so exciting because of the sheer size of the trial and the fact that it demonstrated 100% efficacy."

Professor Peter Rigby, chief executive of the Institute of Cancer Research, was also excited by the findings.

He said: "Nearly 3,000 people in the UK are diagnosed with cervical cancer each year, so it is very exciting to hear it may be possible to drastically reduce this number in the foreseeable future."

Gardasil's manufacturers - Sanofi Pasteur and Merck & Co Inc - are expected to apply for a US Food and Drug Administration licence to market the vaccine before the end of the year.

This will be followed by a licence application to the European Medicines Agency.

Although HPV is transmitted through sexual intercourse, a vaccine is likely to be administered to girls as young as 10 to 13 - critics says this could encourage under-age sex.

Gardasil also acts against HPV strains six and 11 which cause genital warts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4317972.stm

I wonder if it works for women older than 23 also, or if its effectiveness is dependent on never having sexual intercourse previously...

:shuriken:

JPaul
10-07-2005, 06:15 PM
As I understand it this is a vaccine and is best used prior to the woman being a "sexual debutante", the chap actually used that phrase.

There are concerns that this may be seen as a panacea and that women may stop being screened, leading to more deaths than it prevents.

It is very important that the screening programmes continue in addition to this being made available, as it only affects two virus strains.

j2k4
10-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Sounds like abstinence, only less objectionable to liberals.

lynx
10-07-2005, 08:04 PM
Researchers believe a vaccine could work best if given before adolescence, but critics fear this could encourage under-age sex.What absolute bollocks.

Although it is now given to the population as a whole, the Rubella vaccine was originally just given to girls to prevent problems caused by contracting the disease during pregnancy. Did that encourage under-age sex? Of course not.

What do these people think is going to happen with this vaccine? Do they think girls will receive a letter saying that since they have been inoculated they should go out and have sex? Morons.

vidcc
10-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Researchers believe a vaccine could work best if given before adolescence, but critics fear this could encourage under-age sex.What absolute bollocks.

Although it is now given to the population as a whole, the Rubella vaccine was originally just given to girls to prevent problems caused by contracting the disease during pregnancy. Did that encourage under-age sex? Of course not.

What do these people think is going to happen with this vaccine? Do they think girls will receive a letter saying that since they have been inoculated they should go out and have sex? Morons.
They have been trying to limit access to the vaccine for some time now, even before it is available, which is very worrying because already "Christian moral values" are inhibiting access to certain medications such as the "morning after pill"

JPaul
10-07-2005, 08:42 PM
What absolute bollocks.

They have been trying to limit access to the vaccine for some time now, even before it is available, which is very worrying because already "Christian moral values" are inhibiting access to certain medications such as the "morning after pill"
The "morning after pill" is not a medication.

It works either as a contraceptive, to prevent fertilization, or by stopping a fertilized egg from attching to the womb, resulting in an abortion.

vidcc
10-07-2005, 09:06 PM
The "morning after pill" is not a medication.

It works either as a contraceptive, to prevent fertilization, or by stopping a fertilized egg from attching to the womb, resulting in an abortion.
Plan B Emergency Contraception

An emergency contraceptive pill (ECP) also, known as post-coital contraception or the morning-after pill, is available at McKinley Health Center. This prescription medication is called Plan B. Emergency contraceptive pills utilize a medication that is similar to a hormone produced by the ovaries. The hormone produced by the ovaries is progestin and a similar component in Plan B is progesterone. Plan B was approved by the FDA for use in the United States in 1999 and is the only product specifically marketed for emergency contraception.source (http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/health-info/womenhlt/planb.html)

fkdup74
10-07-2005, 09:15 PM

An emergency contraceptive pill (ECP) also, known as post-coital contraception or the morning-after pill, is available at McKinley Health Center. This prescription medication is called Plan B. Emergency contraceptive pills utilize a medication that is similar to a hormone produced by the ovaries. The hormone produced by the ovaries is progestin and a similar component in Plan B is progesterone. Plan B was approved by the FDA for use in the United States in 1999 and is the only product specifically marketed for emergency contraception.source (http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/health-info/womenhlt/planb.html)

ummm.......I don't think that was precisely JP's point :unsure:
yes, it is medicine, but not in the conventional sense
i.e. medication for an ailment,
unless you consider "OOPS! I got knocked up!" an ailment/disease/whatever :P
I call that irresponsibilty, and, I, given my track record, would seem to be an expert on the matter :lol:

-edit- on the matter of irresponsibility, not getting knocked up :wacko:

vidcc
10-07-2005, 09:19 PM
ummm.......I don't think that was precisely JP's point :unsure:
yes, it is medicine, but not in the conventional sense
i.e. medication for an ailment,
unless you consider "OOPS! I got knocked up!" an ailment/disease/whatever :P

I have only what he wrote to go on and he wrote it is not a medication.

But if you wish to make that point then show me where I said it was a "medication for an ailment".

fkdup74
10-07-2005, 09:23 PM
I have only what he wrote to go on and he wrote it is not a medication.

But if you wish to make that point then show me where I said it was a "medication for an ailment".

I realize that, and was merely speculating

and me, have a point? come on now.... :lol:
I try to stay away from having a point,
you could put an eye with those things... :P

JPaul
10-07-2005, 11:14 PM

I find it difficult to believe that you can be this stupid and still manage to operate a computer.

Medication has three reasonable definitions

1. A medicine; a medicament.
2. The act or process of treating with medicine.
3. Administration of medicine.

Look up the word medicine.

Mayhap you quote a site which is also semi-literate, which is nice.

Busyman
10-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Damn......definition semantics.

Medicine is a friggin' remedy. It does not have to treat a disease ffs. :dry:

JPaul
10-07-2005, 11:29 PM

A feckin' remedy for what ... pregnancy.

Busyman
10-07-2005, 11:32 PM

Duh huh. :1eye: (since that's what Plan B is for)

JPaul
10-07-2005, 11:45 PM
So pregnancy would be an illness, or disease then.

Busyman
10-07-2005, 11:50 PM
So pregnancy would be an illness, or disease then.
Post 12.

Busyman
10-07-2005, 11:59 PM

source (http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/health-info/womenhlt/planb.html)
I find it difficult to believe that you can be this stupid and still manage to operate a computer.

What site did you google for that anyway?

lynx
10-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Let's try to keep this on topic please.

vidcc
10-08-2005, 02:56 AM

Well I think I'll go with the MEDICAL PROFESSION terms over your idea. You can check any pharmacy site if you wish. I think they know more than you.

BTW I use the word "medication" not "medicine". I appreciate you will never admit you are wrong but you are none the less.

I'll say no more lynx

JPaul
10-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Well I think I'll go with the MEDICAL PROFESSION terms over your idea. You can check any pharmacy site if you wish. I think they know more than you.

BTW I use the word "medication" not "medicine". I appreciate you will never admit you are wrong but you are none the less.

I'll say no more lynx

"BTW I use the word "medication" not "medicine"."

Which means you see the words as analagous. Which means that a medication is something which is used to treat illness, injury or disease (in this context), Which "the morning after pill" is not, unless you consider potential pregnancy to be injury, illness or disease.

The fact that "pharmacy sites" may wish you to think of it as a medication is irrelevant. They would, wouldn't they. The fact that you fall for the propoganda is indicative of your "I read it so it must be true" mentality.

Lynx, I believe it is on topic. vidcc brought the subject up as a moralistic aspect of the topic. Surely his prerogative to do so. I replied, surely mine. However I am happy to leave it a that, he never actually listens anyway.

whypikonme
10-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Surely it would be a medication umder this definition from Dorlands Medical Dictionary ...

medication (med·i·ca·tion) (med²[ibreve]-ka¢sh[schwa]n) [L. medicatio] 1. a drug or medicine. 2. impregnation with a medicine. 3. the administration of remedies.

It is, after all, a drug.

j2k4
10-08-2005, 01:28 PM
As a further aside, it seems rather odd, in this instance, the argument is that the meanings of words be finite and constricted so as to furnish the precision required, when in most other instances it is considered to be almost morally reprehensible not to expand definitions willy-nilly until everyone who uses any word whatsoever is never wrong for having done it?

Busyman
10-08-2005, 02:18 PM

I'll say no more lynx

"BTW I use the word "medication" not "medicine"."

Which means you see the words as analagous. Which means that a medication is something which is used to treat illness, injury or disease (in this context), Which "the morning after pill" is not, unless you consider potential pregnancy to be injury, illness or disease.

The fact that "pharmacy sites" may wish you to think of it as a medication is irrelevant. They would, wouldn't they. The fact that you fall for the propoganda is indicative of your "I read it so it must be true" mentality.

Lynx, I believe it is on topic. vidcc brought the subject up as a moralistic aspect of the topic. Surely his prerogative to do so. I replied, surely mine. However I am happy to leave it a that, he never actually listens anyway.
Good lord, JP you are wrong, damn.

It's an agent (usually a drug) used as a remedy or corrective action. You brought morals into it simply 'cause it's used for pregnancy.

A woman gets raped walking home from night school. She may take Plan B so she doesn't have a baby from a rapist.

So yes...a remedy from pregnancy. :dry:

Use the noggin' sans google sometimes.

JPaul
10-08-2005, 04:21 PM
... already "Christian moral values" are inhibiting access to certain medications such as the "morning after pill""

I did not bring morals into it, vidcc did.

I responded to him accusing Christians of inhibiting access to certain medications, because "the morning after pill" is not a medication. I am not saying that it is not acceptable (I'm not saying it is either). I am merely saying that his contention was wrong.

Certain Christians may indeed try to deny access to "the morning after pill" because it is, in some instances, a method of abortion. One would expect them to do this, in the same way as they would with any other form of abortion.

Your point with regard to the raped woman is well made, I have no problem with that. However that does not mean she is taking a medicine.

Busyman
10-08-2005, 06:57 PM
... already "Christian moral values" are inhibiting access to certain medications such as the "morning after pill""

I did not bring morals into it, vidcc did.

I responded to him accusing Christians of inhibiting access to certain medications, because "the morning after pill" is not a medication. I am not saying that it is not acceptable (I'm not saying it is either). I am merely saying that his contention was wrong.

Certain Christians may indeed try to deny access to "the morning after pill" because it is, in some instances, a method of abortion. One would expect them to do this, in the same way as they would with any other form of abortion.

Your point with regard to the raped woman is well made, I have no problem with that. However that does not mean she is taking a medicine.
It's a corrective measure to inhibit pregnancy. That's a medication.

Ortho Evra is a medication too. :dry:

I brought up the moral doohicky 'cause you seem to not call Plab B a medication simply 'cause it inhibits pregnancy.

Finasteride and Minoxidil are medications to regrow hair. Losing hair is an ailment?

JPaul
10-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Pregnancy is not an illness, injury or disease. It is not something you treat.

It's got nothing to do with "morals". It's just not a medicine, because it does not perform the function of a medicine, which is to cure illness / disease / injury, or alleviate their symptoms. The morality or otherwise is a totally seperate matter and one which vidcc and you are discussing, not me.

People who sell things like hair growth lotions, or snake oil, call them medicine to make you feel better about buying them. It's a marketing thing, there is a great tradition for it.

Busyman
10-08-2005, 07:43 PM

It's got nothing to do with "morals". It's just not a medicine, because it does not perform the function of a medicine, which is to cure illness / disease / injury, or alleviate their symptoms. The morality or otherwise is a totally seperate matter and one which vidcc and you are discussing, not me.

People who sell things like hair growth lotions, or snake oil, call them medicine to make you feel better about buying them. It's a marketing thing, there is a great tradition for it.
Sighhhh that's why you've resorted to putting "snake oil" in there. :lol: :lol:

Pregnancy is treatable btw. You are wrong. It can be an unwanted growth inside a woman's body that 'cause bloating, nausea, and pain. To many women (a great many) it is an ailment.

Btw things like Finasteride and Minoxidil actually work. Maybe we should just call it "that stuff makes one's hair grow" instead of medication.

JPaul
10-08-2005, 08:51 PM

Pregnancy is treatable btw. You are wrong. It can be an unwanted growth inside a woman's body that 'cause bloating, nausea, and pain. To many women (a great many) it is an ailment.

Btw things like Finasteride and Minoxidil actually work. Maybe we should just call it "that stuff makes one's hair grow" instead of medication.

It may well be something that they don't want, that does not make it an illness, injury or disease.

I thought the "snake oil" touch was rather good btw.

Call "Finasteride and Minoxidil" whatever you want, it matters not one jot, it matters not one jot whether they work or not. The "morning after pill" is not a medicine.

Busyman
10-08-2005, 09:04 PM

It may well be something that they don't want, that does not make it an illness, injury or disease.

I thought the "snake oil" touch was rather good btw.

Call "Finasteride and Minoxidil" whatever you want, it matters not one jot, it matters not one jot whether they work or not. The "morning after pill" is not a medicine.
If it's not medication then what is it?

Snake oil was nice (along with hair growth lotions).

JPaul
10-08-2005, 09:07 PM
No, no, that's not how it works.

I'm telling you that it's not medicine, I'm telling you why it's not medicine.

That doesn't mean I have to tell you what "pigeon hole" it really belongs in. That is irrelevant to my point.

Busyman
10-08-2005, 09:19 PM
No, no, that's not how it works.

I'm telling you that it's not medicine, I'm telling you why it's not medicine.

That doesn't mean I have to tell you what "pigeon hole" it really belongs in. That is irrelevant to my point.
Cool then we'll keep calling it medication.

When the doctor's asks a lady what medication she took, if she says Plan B, then he'll looked puzzled like he has no idea what she's talking about. :lol: :lol:

You still haven't told me what site you googled for your definition.

JPaul
10-08-2005, 10:16 PM
Sorry, when did you ask me such a question, I must have missed that.

Please show me, then I may be able to answer you.

Busyman
10-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Sorry, when did you ask me such a question, I must have missed that.

Please show me, then I may be able to answer you.
Why not give me the answer anyway? :ermm:

......................it's post 17.

JPaul
10-08-2005, 10:58 PM

http://dictionary.reference.com/

Busyman
10-09-2005, 12:58 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/
Oh cool...I ran across this.

Something that serves as a remedy or corrective.

That goes along with the other definitions.

Medication kept referring to medicine so I looked up medicine. Nice site btw.