PDA

View Full Version : wireless router

zero66
10-08-2005, 07:52 PM
looking into getting a wireless router and card for my laptop. any suggestions? d-link, linksys,??? wanting something with good signal lengths that i can use around the house. thanks in advance

Samurai
10-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Linksys definately.

Stay away from lower end D-Link's and nearly all Netgear's bar their most expensive models.

I'm using a Linksys WAG54G and I believe it's gone down in price in the last few months.

erRor67
10-08-2005, 08:18 PM
LinkSys is good IMO. I have D-Link right now and it suits my needs..

Dont know anything about Netgear other than the one I looked at yesterday was white and reminded me of an iPod :lol:

cdnbudman
10-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Yep...definitely LinkSys...can't go wrong.

harrycary
10-25-2005, 11:42 PM
The innards of base model Linksys and Dlink routers are manufactured by the same companies. The features are virtually the same(i.e. protocol and whatnot), but the ease-of-setup may differ.

For everyday users, either will work just fine.

Buy what's on sale if this applies to you.

silent h3ro
10-26-2005, 12:27 AM
The D-Link gaming router is supposed to be amazing. I would reccommend checking that out if ur a gamer.

backlash
10-26-2005, 12:33 AM
I have a question about adding range. My wireless router is in the basement and I use my laptop 2 floors up. The signal is usually "low," "very low" or just "good." Somewhere b/w 1-3 bars. It seems wireless repeaters are more expensive than routers/access points. What would be the best way to get better signal and speed? Oh, it's 802.11b. Would g make a huge difference? I'd have to get a new PCMCIA card, too, so I'm sure it will add up.

Virtualbody1234
10-26-2005, 01:48 AM
I have a question about adding range. My wireless router is in the basement and I use my laptop 2 floors up. The signal is usually "low," "very low" or just "good." Somewhere b/w 1-3 bars. It seems wireless repeaters are more expensive than routers/access points. What would be the best way to get better signal and speed? Oh, it's 802.11b. Would g make a huge difference? I'd have to get a new PCMCIA card, too, so I'm sure it will add up.
Can the router be moved to the main floor?

lynx
10-26-2005, 10:19 AM
802.11g won't give any improvement in signal, but of course 10% of 54Mb/s is still 5 times as fast as 10% of 11Mb/s, so it may improve your speed.

If possible, make sure the signal path does not go past large pieces of electrical or electronic equipment, or large metal objects. So make sure it isn't directly under the fridge or the tv, for example.

Also, try not to have the signal passing through too much of the building's infrastructure. The best way to ensure this is to put the router next to an outside wall, and if possible in a corner of 2 outside walls. That way, the line of the signal through any inside walls or floors is likely to be minimised.

backlash
10-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Can the router be moved to the main floor?

not without running the cat5 wire, which connects it to my other router, all the way to the main floor. Lynx, I actually think it IS right below the fridge. funny how that worked out *sigh*

/me wonders what other solutions there are besides running cables through walls and ceilings

harrycary
10-26-2005, 10:55 PM
80211g broadcasts at a higher frequency therby making more easliy blocked by walls, cabinet, large furniture, etc.

To be practical, you have nothing to gain by switching to 80211g. While it runs at a higher frequency(hence the faster throughput), you'll still encounter the same problems(and than some) you have with your 80211b setup.

Try putting the router in a place that has the fewest obstacles between your PC and the it. And, as stated above, metal surfaces, conduit, cabinets, etc. can block/disrupt the signal.

good luck with it.

lynx
10-27-2005, 02:53 AM
You could always move the fridge. :shifty:

zaphodiv
10-27-2005, 10:32 PM
80211g broadcasts at a higher frequency therby making more easliy blocked by walls, cabinet, large furniture, etc.

Both b and g transmit in the 2.4GHz band.
However hihger data rate generally require a better signal to noise ratio.

Mex
10-28-2005, 03:43 PM
I have both g and b, and this is just my own experience, but when I test my internet connection speed b and g perform the same.

lynx
10-28-2005, 04:28 PM
I have both g and b, and this is just my own experience, but when I test my internet connection speed b and g perform the same.That's because the internet speed is the limiting factor, not the speed of your wireless network.

backlash
10-29-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm wondering if I could connect an additional cable modem. I have a new one which I use for VOIP telephone service, but I still have my old one. I wonder how long I can use it before they notice. What are they looking for when they do notice? If I did that I'd connect directly instead of wireless since it's faster.

backlash
10-30-2005, 01:14 PM
nope, that didn't work (additional cable modem)

/me sighs