PDA

View Full Version : Virus Problem

cpt_azad
10-13-2005, 06:56 AM
Got a problem here. My norton is acting fucked up, a virus popped up today and I've tried everything to get rid of it. There's even a tool avail. from Symantec to get rid of that specific virus, but it doesnt work (shows a "virus" not found error). The virus itself is Trojan.Vundo and seems to be in the C:\WINDOWS\Cursors\ folder in a file called unnet.dll. I've tried everything to get rid of that dll, from safe mode, to task manager, to even that file that symantec offers, so far nothing. I can't even find the registry keys that its supposed to have created.

But that's not the bad part, the bad part is, the stupid Norton display box (that tells you of any viruses/spyware found) keeps popping up, I click ok on it and it pops right back up a nanosecond later. The first message is "Access to file was denied" then I click ok, and then another box comes up saying "Unable to repair this file" and then it just keeps repeating those two boxes, and it's always "on top" of any application I'm running. Any suggestions? Starting to piss me off.:angry:

vampiro
10-13-2005, 07:09 AM
try running a Hi Jack this scan and full adaware scans to see if they can get rid of it

cpt_azad
10-13-2005, 07:32 AM
im working on it rite now, it's not the actual virus that's worrying me, it's that norton is being a stupid bitch and keeps popping up w/ that mesage. its' really annoying, i'm running home scan from trend micro. then ill do adaware and hi jack this.

S!X
10-13-2005, 08:13 AM
My friend had that same shit and cant get rid of it.

Aaron_T
10-13-2005, 06:15 PM
when youve sorted the problem, uninstall norton and get avast :) lol

Izagaia
10-13-2005, 07:04 PM
When after the message proclaiming "access is denied" ever starts rearing it's ugly head, that is usually the first sign to go into "safemode" and attempt removing it from there. As a matter of fact, I would wager that Symantec even suggested such a thing when utilizing their "tool". That as well as disabling any "system restore" functions. You can also go into the "properties" for that specific file and uncheck the box that reads "read only". Which may aid in removing it.

Applications such as Sunbelt's "Counterspy" and Microsoft's "Antispyware beta", which unlike Norton and similiar anti-virus products, are geared specifically towards detecting/removing these malwares, are more suitable, IMO.

cpt_azad
10-13-2005, 08:00 PM
ok thanks izagaia, i'll do the "read only" option since I've tried safe mode (and my system restore is always off) and i still cant get rid of it (says an application is using it) i used process explorer to see what is using unnet.dll (both in normal and safe mode) and it seems explorer.exe and winlogon.exe are both using it, cant do anything about that because i dont know how to end a process that's "within" a process. Hopefully going to properties and doing the "read only" method might get rid of it. Ill post back, it's really starting to piss me off now.

edit: it's already unchecked, ill see what happens when i check the box, there is also an "advanced" button but i wont go in there, not just yet anyway.

edit edit: ok checking it seems to do nothing because after i hit apply then ok then go back into properties again it's still unchecked, ill try in safe mode. be back in 5 min. (this is really getting on my nerves, i honestly dont care for this virus since its low risk, its just the stupid security pop up box from norton that's pissing me off)

Smith
10-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Norton blows ass, get Kaspersky or NOD32 :)

Izagaia
10-14-2005, 12:48 AM
If this malware is a "start up" process, you may want to also attempt going into "msconfig" and then killing it from there. If successful, then you may (not too certain) be able to remove the actual file afterwards.

So far as "killing explorer.exe", you can do that safely from the taskmanager. Explorer merely restarts itself. Once in awhile I am able to remove "persistent" items by quickly navigating to it then after explorer starts and deleting it before the actual process starts. Perhaps you may be able to move the file to your desktop, kill explorer, then delete the file immediately before the process starts again. A long shot, however you have nothing to lose and it certainly will not harm windows.

cpt_azad
10-14-2005, 01:31 AM
Ok ill give it a try, however I dont think i can move it to desktop because it wont let me rename/delete in first place, ill give it a go. I kill explorer all the time, however, if i do that then i cant access windows explorer or my computer, etc. unless i restart explorer from task manager (new task). I'll try msconfig, I think you're right about it being a startup process. ill post back. as for new AV

what's the best? Avast? NOD32? Kaspersky??? Please post what you think is the best and most effective one (and if I can get updates using a crack :) )

edit: My friend said to check out Platinum Internet Security 2005 by Panda Software, apparently its the best right now. Is it?

cpt_azad
10-14-2005, 01:44 AM
Ok can't do the explorer.exe way, looks like the only other solution is to uninstall Norton and try something else, I wont uninstall it until I get a recommendation from you guys and then download it. And apparently Microsoft's Anti Virus (beta) can't find it (its up to date) neither can ad-aware, search and destroy, or online scans (trend micro). This is messed up.

peat moss
10-14-2005, 01:55 AM
Try a program like Regseeker to clean the reg and it also has a start up utility program thats easer to use that msconfig .

What Norton product are you using? I like Symantic Corp . Ver. 10.0.0.359 :)

cpt_azad
10-14-2005, 03:56 AM
Ok got your PM :)

Right now i'm trying out that panda software one (platinum) and so far so good, it's actually damn good found a lot of things in my comp i didnt know i had (thanks a lot s&d, adaware, and microsoft :dry: ). But ill still give the corp. one a try, I replied to ur PM.

So far so good.

erRor67
10-14-2005, 04:12 AM
Norton blows ass, get Kaspersky or NOD32 :)
I actually agree with this statement very much. I used Norton acouple years back and it failed me big time.. So much that I had to refomat my computer cause it wouldnt boot shit. Not only that, but my friend was infected with a virus (they had Norton) and the virus sent itself to people on their address book before Norton even caught it. The virus was even sent to me but my antivirus blocked it before it could do any damage. :)

NOD32 or Kaspersky is what I recommend. Ive used both and they are both friendly and work well. ;)

erRor67
10-14-2005, 04:18 AM
what's the best? Avast? NOD32? Kaspersky??? Please post what you think is the best and most effective one (and if I can get updates using a crack :) )

edit: My friend said to check out Platinum Internet Security 2005 by Panda Software, apparently its the best right now. Is it?
[/url]

You can get a free copy of NOD32 at [url]http://www.nsaneproductions.com (http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/XJ&sdn=antivirus&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pandasoftware.com)

Theres also a file that gives you unlimited updates. No, its not a crack.. Its basically a couple of reg keys that trick NOD32 :)

EDIT: Dunno about Panda Software. Never tried it personally, but if it works for you, go for it. ;)

cpt_azad
10-14-2005, 08:12 AM

You can get a free copy of NOD32 at http://www.nsaneproductions.com

Theres also a file that gives you unlimited updates. No, its not a crack.. Its basically a couple of reg keys that trick NOD32 :)

EDIT: Dunno about Panda Software. Never tried it personally, but if it works for you, go for it. ;)

sweet, thanks man, ill def. download and keep it handy. as for panda, i looked around, nothing but positive reviews, its number 1 on everyones top ten list apparently. something to do w/ trueblock or something i'm too lazy to check it :P but thanks again :D

Izagaia
10-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Try a program like Regseeker to clean the reg and it also has a start up utility program thats easer to use that msconfig .

There is a new version of SAV corp available, Peat. Noticeably, the start-up scan sequences run much smoother, for far shorter periods of time and without maxing your CPU% rate. :)

Version: 10.0.1.1000

peat moss
10-14-2005, 11:52 PM

There is a new version of SAV corp available, Peat. Noticeably, the start-up scan sequences run much smoother, for far shorter periods of time and without maxing your CPU% rate. :)

Version: 10.0.1.1000

Oh good thanx I'll have to go hunting ! :)