PDA

View Full Version : I'm curious about how many of you...

j2k4
10-18-2005, 11:26 PM
...lurked in World News & Events and/or The Drawing Room while building your nerve, confidence, knowledge, or just because your key hadn't been turned, before you began posting?

Do you consider yourself a regular here?

Just so nobody who doesn't know is left to wonder, I've been here since well before this section's inception; and didn't have the opportunity to lurk before jumping in... :D

OR:

Did you jump right in when you first came?

(Almost forgot that option)

sArA
10-18-2005, 11:29 PM
Much reading, little posting, mostly interesting.

j2k4
10-18-2005, 11:32 PM
Much reading, little posting, mostly interesting.

I've got this vague memory of begging you to indulge our little project, Doc.

Those were some funny threads, right in the beginning. :)

peat moss
10-19-2005, 01:05 AM
I like it probably because I read the news paper every day ,so I'm up on current events . But to be honest it can be intimidating when starting a thread , did I spell that right , did I give a link ? You have to go with the flow and speak from the heart . The rest falls in to place . :)

Skiz
10-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Same. It's mostly just reading that I do in here. I found out a long time ago that much time is wasted posting in here since the same trolling, lefty, Bush-hater's seems to post the same drivel in every thread virtually ruining thier it's substance and integrity alike.

Btw, I almost always make sure to read your topics J. Keep up the good posts. :01:

MagicNakor
10-19-2005, 02:34 AM
Didn't it start with a thread about the Iraq war in the Lounge? :blink:

I don't post as much as I used to. The topics lately seem to be dealing with internal American politics, which, while interesting enough, I've not enough experience to comment on why Senator X's record is ABC while Senator Z's record is DEF. ;)

Edit: And the last topic I posted was derailed in fairly short order. :P

:shuriken:

ahctlucabbuS
10-19-2005, 02:53 AM
*I lurked this thread*

Edit: Seriously, I use the board more for information / entertainment than what I contribute myself - and in that regard used to lurk the drawing room. I do post however if the topic is something I feel strongly about (and hence actually have something of value to contribute...) ;)

BigBank_Hank
10-19-2005, 03:19 AM
You and I spoke about this in a PM once.

For a long time I was intimidated to post in here. People like you, clocker, Hobbes, Jpaul and others are so articulate and razor sharp that it felt like you were trying to debate someone who tear you a new a hole without trying.

The person that got me motivated to post in here was leftism. This guy was a liberal nut job that you probably well remember. I just couldn’t take him anymore. If I remember correctly one of my first posts in WN&E was correcting lefty on WWII, which he was spouting off incorrectly.

BTW I still have the first PM that you sent me after my first exchange with lefty.

clocker
10-19-2005, 04:39 AM
I'm lurking even now.

cpt_azad
10-19-2005, 05:14 AM
Posted right away if I remember correctly (the Iraq War thread originally in the lounge).

peat moss
10-19-2005, 06:07 AM
Posted right away if I remember correctly (the Iraq War thread originally in the lounge).

And when you belive in something so strongly , nothing else maters . To me thats respect . Simple right ? :D

Biggles
10-19-2005, 07:28 AM
I think I jumped straight in on a thread about abortion. The Drawing Room (and its previous incarnation) is a fairly friendly soap box pitch in my view :)

Santa
10-19-2005, 08:08 AM
I give lectures at university and write articles for the new york times using opinions posted here.
Most people don't agree.

ahctlucabbuS
10-19-2005, 10:28 AM
I give lectures at university and write articles for the new york times using opinions posted here.
Most people don't agree.

:lol:

I wonder if the collective effort of the drawing room would make a fine uni professor. Maybe with some help from the lounge...

Barbarossa
10-19-2005, 10:33 AM
I think I posted pretty much straight away

Busyman
10-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Jumped in right away.

I never cared if someone was articulate, appeared razor sharp, or had a huge vocabulary. If they are full of shit, I see it. When I was in school I joined the mock trial team (debating) as a goof 'cause I saw one of the sessions and thought it to be easy (and saw that this one smuggeekfucker was beating everyone).

I ripped him (among others) to shreds on the only 3 occasions I had a chance then abruptly quit. I never liked his dorkbitchass.

j2k4
10-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Didn't it start with a thread about the Iraq war in the Lounge? :blink:

I don't post as much as I used to. The topics lately seem to be dealing with internal American politics, which, while interesting enough, I've not enough experience to comment on why Senator X's record is ABC while Senator Z's record is DEF. ;)

Edit: And the last topic I posted was derailed in fairly short order. :P

:shuriken:

Yup-

We started in the run-up to the invasion.

BTW-someone with your mind doesn't have to know all the facts in order to bring logic (even if it is your own brand) to bear, MN.

Skizo-

Thank you-you are much too kind.

Clocker-

Your lurking fools no one, as your aura precedes you, and it's glow lingers after you leave.

Send my check to the address in your files, please.

100%-

Is your real name Rich or Friedman? :D

Biggles-

Glad you branched out.

Busyman-

Please, after all this time, try to be less vague when expressing your views.

Tell us how you really feel, and stop sugar-coating things.

Hank-

I remember lefty, but I can't remember the PM-if you actually do still have it, shoot it to me, okay?

I'm up for reminiscences today.

Peat, Barbarossa, ahctlucabbuS, Sara and Mon Capitan-

Keep your needles sharp, 'cuz we've got a long way to go, and I'm not bowing out until I've posted something that every one of you agrees with.

However, if Ruthie ever agrees with me about anything, I'll know I'm already dead, and you'll all be witnesses to my first and only miracle. :lol:

clocker
10-23-2005, 03:09 AM
... I'm not bowing out until I've posted something that every one of you agrees with.

I shall never buy into this "the sky is blue" malarky you're trying to sell.

Never.

twisterX
10-23-2005, 04:17 AM
I just went into the lounge when i came in but didnt post much. Then i wasnt here much from like 2004-2005. Only like a post once a month.

Now i come here much again.

JPaul
10-23-2005, 08:39 AM
I never cared if someone was articulate, appeared razor sharp, or had a huge vocabulary. If they are full of shit, I see it.

The only reason I read the interweb, any of it, is because I would find it impossible to meet someone like you in real life.

There is no conceivable way that anyone, under any circumstances, having to actually deal with real life, would have such a startling level of self-belief. (Unless of course they were a mentalist). However on the interweb you can be any way you want, you can be as unforgiving as you want.

I simply adore the absolute way you see / express things. No compromise, no 99% certain, no "what-if". You, Sir live in a World of black and white. A World sans grey areas. Please note that you are far from being the only one, simply a really good example.

To answer the original point (as I remember it). I didn't join in here at first, because it was one of the most singularly incestuous, condescending cliques it had been my misfortune to stumble across. Now I read stuff and sometimes post stuff, if I am so inclined. Like I have said elsehere, I enjoy the mixed demographic, idiocy in all it's forms, as it were.

j2k4
10-23-2005, 12:46 PM
I shall never buy into this "the sky is blue" malarky you're trying to sell.

Never.

I'm amenable to change, though; perhaps...azure?

j2k4
10-23-2005, 12:56 PM
I didn't join in here at first, because it was one of the most singularly incestuous, condescending cliques it had been my misfortune to stumble across. Now I read stuff and sometimes post stuff, if I am so inclined. Like I have said elsehere, I enjoy the mixed demographic, idiocy in all it's forms, as it were.

Now, let me get this straight:

Do you mean generally or selectively condescending?

I find the latter quite handy.

BTW-

Are you sitting on a nail at all, you seem perturbed.

JPaul
10-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Now, let me get this straight:

Do you mean generally or selectively condescending?

I find the latter quite handy.

BTW-

Are you sitting on a nail at all, you seem perturbed.
On the contrary, I feel rather superb at the moment.

Perhaps condescending wan't quite the right word. More an air of a self proclaimed cognoscenti, treating anyone else's posts with disdain.

No I think condescending pretty much covers it. Oh and to answer your question, generally.

j2k4
10-23-2005, 03:42 PM
On the contrary, I feel rather superb at the moment.

Perhaps condescending wan't quite the right word. More an air of a self proclaimed cognoscenti, treating anyone else's posts with disdain.

No I think condescending pretty much covers it. Oh and to answer your question, generally.

Glad you're feeling well, then, and good that you've found your way back.

I remember that "air"; I did my best to dispel it.

The "generally" part was not imagined; I think young Zed would remember quite well.

You joined in very early 03, didn't you? :huh:

JPaul
10-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Indeed, shortly after the bells on 1st Jan 03.

Somewhat the worse for wear, believe it or not.

j2k4
10-23-2005, 05:09 PM
Indeed, shortly after the bells on 1st Jan 03.

Somewhat the worse for wear, believe it or not.

How so?

Battle-hardened, maybe.:huh:

JPaul
10-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Bottle-hardened, we celebrate Hogmany somewhat to excess where I come from.

j2k4
10-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Bottle-hardened, we celebrate Hogmany somewhat to excess where I come from.

"Hogmany"?

I am bottle-hardened myself, but for different reasons.

I think...:huh:

Santa
10-24-2005, 05:52 PM
I have never voted in my life.
the countries i live in do not allow me to.
Subtle geographic responsibility escapism?

Gripper
10-24-2005, 07:31 PM
I lurked a bit ,tossed in my twopennorth,mostly i post shite,sometimes I even know what I'm talking about,mostly I don't,but I do try:)

j2k4
10-25-2005, 03:11 AM
Subtle geographic responsibility escapism?

Probably.

How'd you begin in here, though?

JPaul
10-25-2005, 08:02 AM

What, they don't allow you personally. Or a particular section of society, to which you belong. The mentals perhaps.

sArA
10-25-2005, 09:05 AM
@ J2k4....ah yes indeed. I too remember the clamour for a discrete place to discuss more 'serious' topics around the start of the Iraq war.

'World News and Events' was eventually born (after much campaigning) and became 'The Drawing Room' shortly after the move to VB. That bloody Iraq thingy is responsible for bringing us all together in this place....many an evening spent in my apartment in Boston, bored shitless.....and then...I found KLite board and met you lot.

I would never have guessed that so many of us would be still here after all this time.

My contributions tend to be few but I like to think they are quality. :lol:

JPaul
10-25-2005, 10:52 AM
@ Sara

Absolutely, feck you even joined the board Police. Who would have thunk it.

Hal scion daze.

manker
10-25-2005, 11:09 AM
I think, initially, I posted in here (and SoftwareWorld) more than other places.

I then found the gene pool to be rather shallow and decided that the primordial soup that is the lounge offers much more to the colloquium aficionado than the rigidity of opinion proffered here.

Just a personal opinion, mind you - and I certainly do not preclude myself from posting in this section when the topic of conversation is more ... avant-garde.

sArA
10-25-2005, 01:00 PM
beautifully put and as anal retentive as ever manker?

JPaul
10-25-2005, 01:36 PM
I think, initially, I posted in here (and SoftwareWorld) more than other places.

I then found the gene pool to be rather shallow and decided that the primordial soup that is the lounge offers much more to the colloquium aficionado than the rigidity of opinion proffered here.

Just a personal opinion, mind you - and I certainly do not preclude myself from posting in this section when the topic of conversation is more ... avant-garde.
Some of we do read and try to appreciate t'opinions of others. Tho' I have to agree, the default seems to be not to bother.

Personally I have no problem with differing opinions, provided the person actually has the manners to read before disagreeing.

j2k4
10-25-2005, 07:43 PM
@ J2k4....ah yes indeed. I too remember the clamour for a discrete place to discuss more 'serious' topics around the start of the Iraq war.

'World News and Events' was eventually born (after much campaigning) and became 'The Drawing Room' shortly after the move to VB. That bloody Iraq thingy is responsible for bringing us all together in this place....many an evening spent in my apartment in Boston, bored shitless.....and then...I found KLite board and met you lot.

I would never have guessed that so many of us would be still here after all this time.

My contributions tend to be few but I like to think they are quality. :lol:

Indeed, you are one of our anchors, Sara, responsible for our grounding.

Charter female, too, as I remember...

insolentsummer
10-25-2005, 10:16 PM
i just jumped in, as i am a noob, and i figured this would be a good place to start.

j2k4
10-25-2005, 11:01 PM
i just jumped in, as i am a noob, and i figured this would be a good place to start.

And it is.

BigBank_Hank
10-26-2005, 03:34 AM
Welcome aboard :)

100%
11-01-2005, 01:26 AM
i post here only when i believe in what is said or what i say.

Sid Hartha
11-02-2005, 08:53 PM
still lurking