PDA

View Full Version : America

Peerzy
10-18-2005, 11:54 PM
First of all no flaming, that includes me.

Why's America so good? What do Americans think that makes it so good? Most gun crime in the world, a government thats hardly busting it's balls to help and provide for the people, 1/4 of Americans are overweight, and loads of other things, yet America is still the land of the free the rightous and so on, so please do be letting me on the secret whats so good about it?

Oh, and one more thing? What is it with you guys and your fooking flag. Right after the first big hurricane in NO people were putting there lives at risk to climb up trees just to put the flag up, whenever anyone makes a press statement or Bush speaks theres always a flag in the background, theres a flag in the classroom, heck there was even a flag in a Mc Donalds when i visited, i mean WTF?

j2k4
10-19-2005, 12:03 AM
While I take the time here to note that neither you nor anyone else has the patience or inclination to read a thread that would/could explain America, would you consider that you've asked two completely different questions in your first couple of sentences?

Pick one for us to answer, please?

I think you are going to get short, unsatisfactory responses, in any case...

peat moss
10-19-2005, 12:56 AM
Their free and proud of it . A quality I wish more Canadians had .

JunkBarMan
10-19-2005, 01:20 AM
Question 1.

Why's America so good?

America is so good because anyone in the entire world can come here and get rich and make themself into something that anyone would be proud and happy to be. Lawyer, Docter, CEO of a large corporation, or Hollywood movie star, it doesn't matter, it's all here and you can have it, as long as you work hard enough to get it.

Question 2.

What do Americans think that makes it so good?

American's all believe this to be true in some form or another. If you ask the average Joe American why is America better then country "X", they will all tell you what's wrong with that country and what's right with America.

Doesn't matter if what they say is total bullshit, but they believe it to be true and that gives them hope. And hope is very comfortable and happy.

Question 3.

What is it with you guys and your fooking flag?

See questions 1,2 and then know that this symbol reminds them of those two things.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-19-2005, 01:34 AM
...you guys

Thank you for lumping 300 million people all into one single basket.

Samurai
10-19-2005, 01:37 AM
...you guys

Well according to most American's, everyone from the UK drinks tea and eats crumpets. We also don't have dentists. Something to do with our teeth. Quite strange.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-19-2005, 01:40 AM
...you guys

1. Why do you think your country is so good?

2. Why do English folks fly flags at football matches?

3. You never climbed a tree as a child?

Edit: Here is a line from the UK National Audit Office Press Notice. "Most adults in England are now overweight, and one in five is obese".

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-19-2005, 01:44 AM

Well according to most American's, everyone from the UK drinks tea and eats crumpets. We also don't have dentists. Something to do with our teeth. Quite strange.

Could you substantiate this please?

Samurai
10-19-2005, 01:45 AM
What? :unsure:

Substantiate what? I've seen these remarks on numerous forums, message boards and I've even heard it from somone face to face.

As for your edit, what makes you think the people of the UK think we're so special?

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-19-2005, 01:46 AM

You stated "according to most Americans", please back this up with some evidence, otherwise you are just mouthing.

Samurai
10-19-2005, 01:48 AM

You stated "according to most Americans", please back this up with some evidence, otherwise you are just mouthing.

I don't mouth. I state fact. If you want me to start doing my research I will. If it is needed. I'm sure I'm not the only one on the forum who has heard these myths.

peat moss
10-19-2005, 01:49 AM
This is a setup don't think I'll play, I said my peice in my first post .

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-19-2005, 01:50 AM

I don't mouth. I state fact. If you want me to start doing my research I will. If it is needed. I'm sure I'm not the only one on the forum who has heard these myths.

Please do support your statement. All you have to do is prove that 151 million Americans believe this.

vidcc
10-19-2005, 01:54 AM
It's just patriotism. It's the greatest country to Americans because it's home. The USA is better at some things not others, it all depends on your personal preferences.
I would point out that even if someone states without reservation that the USA is better than everywhere else I doubt they would say it's perfect.
I do wonder how many Americans have actually made the effort to find out by experiencing other nations, just as I wonder how many "anti" American people have bothered to visit here before they decide.

We have so many flags so we always have one at hand if we need to claim another nation as our through the cunning use of flags and as we have a flag we can't be claimed...no flag no country.

Samurai
10-19-2005, 02:00 AM
@ HeavyMetal - Oh FFS. You must be stupid. It's even portrayed on television in the States for cryin' out loud!

http://www.belowtopsecret.com/thread173911/pg1
http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-22429,00.html
http://right-thinking.com/index.php/weblog/comments/8557/

There's loads more, but I'm too tired (it's past 3am). I'll let this thread continue until whenever I come back to it. At the end of the day there are sterotypes on both sides. The thing is, some of us admit to them while others (http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/member.php?u=28846) do not.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-19-2005, 02:06 AM
@ HeavyMetal - Oh FFS. You must be stupid. It's even portrayed on television in the States for cryin' out loud!

http://www.belowtopsecret.com/thread173911/pg1
http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-22429,00.html
http://right-thinking.com/index.php/weblog/comments/8557/

There's loads more, but I'm too tired (it's past 3am). I'll let this thread continue until whenever I come back to it. At the end of the day there are sterotypes on both sides. The thing is, some of us admit to them while others (http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/member.php?u=28846) do not.

I hear there are even aliens on tv. In fact I saw a movie where two alien races were trying to kill each other underneath the ice in the artic.

Really, please try to find a more credible source than television. Hell, I can watch BBC America and see those stereotypes. And that channel is programmed by the British.

Also, please show me the topic where I said stereotypes do not exist. Please don't try to switch things onto me due to your inability to back up your own words.

I will try to refrain from laughing hysterically at someone who tries to use a forum as a credible source.

Helghast004
10-19-2005, 02:11 AM

Please do support your statement. All you have to do is prove that 151 million Americans believe this.

what is FACT is that most americans who use that form of generalization are usually just doing it to poke fun at the British people and do not believe that they all have bad teeth and eat crumpets.

What you want to here from him is to provide proof that the people saying such comments trully believe it. He's correct though, every society has some form of generalization put against them. No need to take it personally and pressure him for proof. He did say "myths" in his previous posts.

As for what I think of why Americans think America is so great...all I can say is its all about home town pride too the highest degree. Look at all the nations, you cannot tell me that their isnt at least a large majority who will not stay with their homeland no matter what is going on.

Obesity? Crime? Obesity is up to you to decide wether you want to be fat and as for crime, well you cant escape that. Its not wrong to think your nation is the best.

Whats with the flag? Well its a symbol of the nation, the same way you advertise your team at a sports game. It gives people a sense of pride and ditermination, at least for the people who respect and acknowledge it.

I'd say Canadians have in them aswell...
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b204/Helghast004/Canadian_pride.jpg

Samurai
10-19-2005, 02:13 AM
@ HeavyParking - And if you read my post in the first place I said MOST Americans, not every single citizen.

Why use TV as the sole source for these sterotypes? I didn't say what is shown on TV to be factual, I'm saying that it exists and that many people from America believe these facts. You seem to be getting a tad confused there lad.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-19-2005, 02:13 AM
I was in no way taking it personally. I merely asked him to back up a statement he made in which he did not make ANY mention of myth in any way.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-19-2005, 02:16 AM
And if you read my post in the first place I said MOST Americans, not every single citizen.

I never said that you claimed every single citizen believed it. I asked you to provide proof that most Americans believe this to be true. In fact I specifically set 151 million as the target. 151 million = 50.5%.

Helghast004
10-19-2005, 02:17 AM
I was in no way taking it personally. I merely asked him to back up a statement he made in which he did not make ANY mention of myth in any way.

I quote him "I don't mouth. I state fact. If you want me to start doing my research I will. If it is needed. I'm sure I'm not the only one on the forum who has heard these myths."

Did you miss that entire post? He's not making false statments, he's mearly pointing out a well known "myth" about the british citizens.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-19-2005, 02:19 AM

I quote him "I don't mouth. I state fact. If you want me to start doing my research I will. If it is needed. I'm sure I'm not the only one on the forum who has heard these myths."

Did you miss that entire post? He's not making false statments, he's mearly pointing out a well known "myth" about the british citizens.

Did you miss any of the prior posts?

Samurai
10-19-2005, 02:19 AM

To which I ask you to re-read my original post and notice where I said "Many".

You still haven't answered my question before you edited it out, asking why we think we're so good. As I recall, I haven't seen anyone from the UK announce they're 'superior' in any way :rolleyes:

Samurai
10-19-2005, 02:21 AM

I don't believe he / she has.

You however stand corrected.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-19-2005, 02:21 AM

You still haven't answered my question before you edited it out, asking why we think we're so good. As I recall, I haven't seen anyone from the UK announce they're 'superior' in any way :rolleyes:

Have you already forgotten where YOU said "Well ACCORDING TO MOST AMERICANS, everyone from the UK drinks tea and eats crumpets. We also don't have dentists. Something to do with our teeth. Quite strange.?

Let's answer one question at a time, as you seem to be having problems handling even one.

muchspl3
10-19-2005, 02:23 AM
America, fuck yeah! Comin' again to save the motherfucking day, yeah!
America, fuck yeah! Freedom is the only way, yeah! Terrorists, your game is through, 'cause now you have to answer to, America, fuck yeah!
So lick my butt and suck on my balls!, America, fuck yeah! What you gonna do when we come for you now!

HeavyMetalParkingLot

What am I to be corrected over? I simply asked you to provide proof of what you said. And thus far you have been unable to do so.

Helghast004

The only other post he responded too considering this myth is this statement.

"What? :unsure:

Substantiate what? I've seen these remarks on numerous forums, message boards and I've even heard it from somone face to face.

As for your edit, what makes you think the people of the UK think we're so special?"

The very next post he made was the same one I quoted earlier...you however seemed to have completely ignored that post and continued on pressuring for evidence.

Samurai
10-19-2005, 02:25 AM

Have you already forgotten where YOU said "Well ACCORDING TO MOST AMERICANS, everyone from the UK drinks tea and eats crumpets. We also don't have dentists. Something to do with our teeth. Quite strange.?

Let's answer one question at a time, as you seem to be having problems handling even one.

That's the exact same fucking quote I'm referring to. Are you just slow or are you fucking with me? For someone who's falling asleep here, I'm sure as hell owning you, wouldn't you say?

Want to read it again?? According to MOST.

M O S T

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-19-2005, 02:26 AM

As for your edit, what makes you think the people of the UK think we're so special?"

The very next post he made was the same one I quoted earlier...you however seemed to have completely ignored that post and continued on pressuring for evidence.

Dude, are you a fucking idiot or something?

"Well ACCORDING TO MOST AMERICAN'S, everyone from the UK drinks tea and eats crumpets. We also don't have dentists. Something to do with our teeth. Quite strange."

please tell me what part of that are you able to ascertain him mentioning it to be a myth?

Helghast004
10-19-2005, 02:26 AM

What am I to be corrected over? I simply asked you to provide proof of what you said. And thus far you have been unable to do so.

want proof? how about from a fellow american? Im assuming your one aswell?

I've heard of this many times straight from people, television, and even in several books. But its all regarded as joke against the british...that is all. Your idea of proof is imppossible, sorta, and it involves him speaking to every american and telling him what they think.

I'll be the first to say YES that "myth" does exist and is widely known.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-19-2005, 02:27 AM

That's the exact same fucking quote I'm referring to. Are you just slow or are you fucking with me? For someone who's falling asleep here, I'm sure as hell owning you, wouldn't you say?

Want to read it again?? According to MANY.

M A N Y

MOST means more that half. 3 million would be considered MANY.

Please, you can not back up your statement and are afraid to admit it.

Samurai
10-19-2005, 02:29 AM
I'm going to brush my grotty teeth and go to bed. This has been the highlight of my day. Goodnight all :lol:

Helghast004
10-19-2005, 02:32 AM

Dude, are you a fucking idiot or something?

"Well ACCORDING TO MOST AMERICAN'S, everyone from the UK drinks tea and eats crumpets. We also don't have dentists. Something to do with our teeth. Quite strange."

please tell me what part of that are you able to ascertain him mentioning it to be a myth?

"I've seen these remarks on numerous forums, message boards and I've even heard it from somone face to face." Well apparently he mentions that most americans whom he's been in contact with have stated that myth. Your saying that americans dont recognize that and only a few know of it. Well im here to tell you he's not BSing about that subject, like I said before its just as common as saying Chinese people eat dogs.

peat moss
10-19-2005, 02:33 AM
Thats the proplem with the Drawing Room everthing is Brits againts the Usa . Its tiring don't you think . Why don't we pick on the Swiss who never take sides or the chalk sucking Canadians ? :unsure:

Helghast004
10-19-2005, 02:34 AM
Either your someone who trully relies on 100% Hardcore facts or is just a stubborn character. Im willing to bet that a vast majority of americans know about that little joke, Perhaps not 50% but quite abit will.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-19-2005, 02:35 AM
Thats the proplem with the Drawing Room everthing is Brits againts the Usa . Its tiring don't you think . Why don't we pick on the Swiss who never take sides or the chalk sucking Canadians ? :unsure:

I never once brought in a Brits vs. USA idea, merely asking someone to back up what they said.

And I will refrain from picking on the Canadians, not a good idea to go messin' with lumberjacks and all you know. :lol:

Helghast004
10-19-2005, 02:36 AM

lol nonsense :rolleyes:

I'll just say this here and now, I'll respect your family, belief, and nation no matter what you think of mine.

maebach
10-19-2005, 02:36 AM
the chalk sucking Canadians ? :unsure:

I dont suck chalk :unsure: :mellow: . I like America only because the clothes and electronics are cheaper than Canadian stuff (even after exchange rate). Plus, houses and cars are very cheap because there are so many loan company's and tax is low.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-19-2005, 02:37 AM
.....vast majority of americans know about that little joke, Perhaps not 50% but quite abit will.

Please think before you post.

peat moss
10-19-2005, 02:51 AM
Funniest thing is how much we all have in common ,for better or worse . :D

ahctlucabbuS
10-19-2005, 03:19 AM
Question 1.

Why's America so good?

America is so good because anyone in the entire world can come here and get rich and make themself into something that anyone would be proud and happy to be. Lawyer, Docter, CEO of a large corporation, or Hollywood movie star, it doesn't matter, it's all here and you can have it, as long as you work hard enough to get it.

It's all right to live in poverty with no medical insurance etc. as long as the opportunity to be rich and famous is at the end of the stick right?

http://img414.imageshack.us/img414/5909/island0uv.jpg

peat moss
10-19-2005, 03:38 AM
No but in some countries you'll be lucky to feed your children , India or China come to mind .... So your point .

I should of said at least "We" have an opportunity to provide for our family.

Made me think the worst difference between Americans and Canucks is the medical care which is universal for us but not for the US ? Or Day care which is a government subsidy ? Nothing is free we pay in taxes ! :frusty:

ahctlucabbuS
10-19-2005, 10:18 AM
No but in some countries you'll be lucky to feed your children , India or China come to mind .... So your point .

The point is that the richest country in the world is an excellent case in point for inequality fostered by capitalism. You can't deny the extreme dualism which is there.

Granted other countries are pretty much the same, however there are things like the medical insurance system for instance which makes America really stand out. How are you as a poor person supposed to work yourself up in the system if you're already dead?

The passage I quoted mostly serve the already rich and powerful, as it detracts from the real social issues.

Proper Bo
10-19-2005, 11:07 AM
After reading this thread I've decided it's not going to get anywhere

Probably cauthe Americanth are all sthtupid :P
*lithp cauthed due to tongue firmly planted in cheek*

JunkBarMan
10-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Granted other countries are pretty much the same, however there are things like the medical insurance system for instance which makes America really stand out. How are you as a poor person supposed to work yourself up in the system if you're already dead?

The passage I quoted mostly serve the already rich and powerful, as it detracts from the real social issues.

Nothing is ever going to be handed to anyone, anywhere, and at anytime. In America, you can work for what you want. You want higher status, more money, then you need to work harder to achieve that. I don't believe this to be true about most other countries around the world.

I am neither rich, nor powerful, yet I benefit from the American system.

How are you as a poor person supposed to work yourself up in the system if you're already dead?

You should really clarify what you mean by this, before I would want to answer it. Really you sound like a doomsday theorist who sees the end coming and it's going to be bad.

Busyman
10-19-2005, 12:54 PM
Tbh, I don't think Americans think of the UK that much. However, some people sure do think of America even without the Iraq. The only time I really bring up the UK is in retaliation to some America trash talking or the very rare quip about your own problems or weird laws* (among other countries) that I may read in The Express newspaper. Fucking mind your own country. I am of the firm belief that most times when one has so much to say about another, they are fucking envious to a fault.

I had never heard of the dental stereotype until I saw Austin Powers.

The only stereotype I had was that everything by Brits was so gentlemanly and prim and propa and that I thought that the accent sounded very faggety/girly (Lennox Lewis) with high pitched bouncy tone.
No down and dirtyness. Of course when I see movies like Snatch, which is very gritty and dirty, and watch Hatton fight (so much energy I think he's on steroids), I am reminded that you have real men and faggots just like everybody else. :)

By the picture painted on this forum, one would have thought your country to be Disneyworld. It would seem that ain't the case. The UK's shit stink too....among other things.**

@petey mossberg weestro - I like Canada. It feels like another American state tbh. After first going there I felt weird telling someone I had been outta the country. Our companies should merge and fire all the bad parts (cue American takeover quip).

*you have a law where someone can be fined for giving a pet to someone without making sure they can take care of it....the fine can be $8500. I call it the Goldfish Law. There are instances of Goldfish being used as prizes for kids and some of the flush them down the "loo".

*a woman was arrested under the Terrorism Act for walking on a bike path. Her words, "As if walkers and not cyclists were the only ones likely to plant bombs."

**you also have overt racism in the soccer world...so bad in fact that at different times and venues, when a black player gets the ball, the crowd makes monkey sounds and on occasion has thrown bananas onto the field. :O

Blythorama
10-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Tbh, I don't think Americans think of the UK that much. However, some people sure do think of America even without the Iraq. The only time I really bring up the UK is in retaliation to some America trash talking or the very rare quip about your own problems or weird laws* (among other countries) that I may read in The Express newspaper. Fucking mind your own country. I am of the firm belief that most times when one has so much to say about another, they are fucking envious to a fault.

I had never heard of the dental stereotype until I saw Austin Powers.

*you have a law where someone can be fined for giving a pet to someone without making sure they can take care of it....the fine can be $8500. I call it the Goldfish Law. There are instances of Goldfish being used as prizes for kids and some of the flush them down the "loo".

*a woman was arrested under the Terrorism Act for walking on a bike path. Her words, "As if walkers and not cyclists were the only ones likely to plant bombs."

Weird laws...let me see.

In Tuscon Arizona its illegal for women to wear pants.

In Los Angeles, a man may legally beat his wife with a leather strap, as long as it is less than two inches wide, or she gives him permission to use a wider strap.

It is a misdemeanor under californian law to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

In Pacific Groove, California, "molesting" butterflies can result in a $500 fine.

It is illegal in california to set a mousetrap without a hunting license.

In San Francisco, it is illegal to wipe one's car with used underwear.

In Tenassee Tennessee it is illegal to use a lasso to catch a fish.

Amongst others.... :blink:

The law is an ass where-ever though.

Incidently. It is now illegal under new animal welfare laws in the UK for goldfish to be used as prizes.

DarthInsinuate
10-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Incidently. It is now illegal under new animal welfare laws in the UK for goldfish to be used as prizes.
makes sense, goldfish are crap, I'd rather have a bag of chocolate pennies

Busyman
10-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Amongst others.... :blink:

You're late we've had a million dumb American law threads. Gotta point? We never say our shit doesn't stink. We're at peace knowing about our shit. We would just like to change it from green to a natural brown color sometimes.

The law is an ass where-ever though.

No shit. There's websites devoted to it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: PETA loves it.

Blythorama
10-19-2005, 01:16 PM
makes sense, goldfish are crap, I'd rather have a bag of chocolate pennies

Yes. You can't dissolve goldfish in your tea.

I'm gonna put a bag of chocolate pennies out to barter I think...

Santa
10-19-2005, 01:19 PM
http://www.strangepersons.com/images/content/10050.jpg

Liquidising goldfish 'not a crime'
Goldfish
Expert witnesses told the trial the fish died instantly
An art display which invited the public to put live goldfish through a food blender did not constitute cruelty to animals, a Danish court has ruled.

The goldfish were placed on display swimming in the blenders, and visitors were told they could press the "on" button if they wanted.

At least one visitor did, killing two goldfish.

Peter Meyer, director of the Trapholt Art Museum in Kolding, 200 kilometres (125 miles) west of Copenhagen, was fined for cruelty to animals after complaints from campaign group Friends of Animals.

It's a question of principle. An artist has the right to create works which defy our concept of what is right and what is wrong
Peter Meyer
Trapholt Art Museum
But a court in Denmark has now ruled that the fish were not treated cruelly, as they had not faced prolonged suffering.

The fish were killed "instantly" and "humanely", said Judge Preben Bagger.

The court had earlier heard an expert witness from the blenders' maker, Moulinex, that the fish had probably died within one second of the blender being switched on.

A vet also told the court that the fish would have died painlessly.

Mr Meyer will not now have to pay the fine of 2,000 kroner (269 euros) originally imposed by Danish police.

The case only went to court because he refused to pay the police fine. He told the court that artistic freedom was at stake.

"It's a question of principle. An artist has the right to create works which defy our concept of what is right and what is wrong," he told the court in Kolding.

The display featured a total of 10 blenders containing goldfish.

After the complaints, the blenders were unplugged and the exhibit continued without the possibility of killing the fish.

It was a protest against what is going on in the world, against this cynicism, this brutality that impregnates the world in which we live
Marco Evaristti
Artist
The exhibit was created by Chilean-born Danish artist Marco Evaristti, who was apparently trying to test visitors' sense of right and wrong.

Mr Evaristti said at the time he wanted to force people to "do battle with their conscience".

The idea, he said, was to "place people before a dilemma: to choose between life and death."

"It was a protest against what is going on in the world, against this cynicism, this brutality that impregnates the world in which we live," he said.

vidcc
10-19-2005, 02:14 PM
I thought that the accent sounded very faggety/girly (Lennox Lewis) with high pitched bouncy tone.

You think lennox has a British accent? :unsure: I will however give you Chris Eubank to make your case :lol:

Mind you Mike Tyson doesn't exactly have a manly voice :unsure:

Busyman
10-19-2005, 02:23 PM
I thought that the accent sounded very faggety/girly (Lennox Lewis) with high pitched bouncy tone.

You think lennox has a British accent? :unsure: I will however give you Chris Eubank to make your case :lol:

Mind you Mike Tyson doesn't exactly have a manly voice :unsure:
He sounds like a boy not a fag.

Lennox sounds like a fag.

I don't know who Chris Eubank is.

manker
10-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Lennox Lewis has got an effeminite voice - but a very Canadian accent :blink:

He moved there when he was nine and was brought up there. He sounds about as English as I do.

vidcc
10-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Was world middleweight champ...beat Nigel Benn...another suspect voice :lol:

GepperRankins
10-19-2005, 02:46 PM

He moved there when he was nine and was brought up there. He sounds about as English as I do.
is that compared to your normal accent or your i'm not sam^4 one?

Busyman
10-19-2005, 02:53 PM

He sounds English to me (among others) regardless of where he grew up.

There's a fella in my crew that moved here from Trinidad when he was 7 yet he has an island accent.

Busyman
10-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Was world middleweight champ...beat Nigel Benn...another suspect voice :lol:
Neva hoid ovem.

manker
10-19-2005, 02:56 PM

is that compared to your normal accent or your i'm not sam^4 one?I'm not Sam^4 :ph34r:

Really, I've just discovered that he's even changed the pass to his photobucket now.

http://img309.imageshack.us/img309/816/dabs5sy.gif

manker
10-19-2005, 02:57 PM

There's a fella in my crew that moved here from Trinidad when he was 7 yet he has an island accent.You must have lived in a cave if the only 'English' person you ever heard speak until Snatch aired was Lennox Lewis.

ziggyjuarez
10-19-2005, 02:59 PM
There was the "Dare" song by gorillaz :lookaroun

GepperRankins
10-19-2005, 03:01 PM
what about tony blair, he's.... scottish :ermm:

ziggyjuarez
10-19-2005, 03:06 PM
Turn me off,Turn me off...Its Dare Woo!

Santa
10-19-2005, 03:53 PM
European tv shows amrican stuff so it must be good

ahctlucabbuS
10-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Nothing is ever going to be handed to anyone, anywhere, and at anytime. In America, you can work for what you want. You want higher status, more money, then you need to work harder to achieve that. I don't believe this to be true about most other countries around the world.

How are you as a poor person supposed to work yourself up in the system if you're already dead?

You should really clarify what you mean by this, before I would want to answer it. Really you sound like a doomsday theorist who sees the end coming and it's going to be bad.

Don't get me wrong, I'm talking about basic social rights which other western countries take for granted, like the right to get medical treatment regardless of income. It's just puzzling how the worlds richest country have not even achieved this, while at the same time America is also the country with the richest elite. It's a perfect case in point regarding capitalism and inequality.

Fucking mind your own country

:lol:

Don't get me started

Busyman
10-19-2005, 04:36 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm talking about basic social rights which other western countries take for granted, like the right to get medical treatment regardless of income. It's just puzzling how the worlds richest country have not even achieved this, while at the same time America is also the country with the richest elite. It's a perfect case in point regarding capitalism and inequality.
Everyone has the right to get medical treatment just like they have the right to buy bread.

The next thing will be the right to have a house or apartment to live in.

Does the UK have capatilism or not?

Busyman
10-19-2005, 04:40 PM

There's a fella in my crew that moved here from Trinidad when he was 7 yet he has an island accent.You must have lived in a cave if the only 'English' person you ever heard speak until Snatch aired was Lennox Lewis.
You must have been in another dimension when I said that.

I haven't heard Lennox Lewis sound anything like a Canadian. He's a poser, eh?

ahctlucabbuS
10-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Everyone has the right to get medical treatment just like they have the right to buy bread.

Sure, however money might buy you treatment that actually ensures your survival.

Edit: I'm not going to go on in a debate about your medical system. It's widely known to be lacking for people with no insurance (John Kerry had it on his agenda I believe). It's funny though how people will defend the system seeing as the opportunity for the carrot is there, instead of trying to ensure themselves and others worse off better rights..

Busyman
10-19-2005, 04:49 PM

Sure, however money might buy you treatment that actually ensures your survival.

Edit: I'm not going to go on in a debate about your medical system. It's widely known to be lacking for people with no insurance - John Kerry had the issue in his campaign.
The same goes for bread.

manker
10-19-2005, 04:50 PM
You must have lived in a cave if the only 'English' person you ever heard speak until Snatch aired was Lennox Lewis.
Some must have been in another dimension when I said that.

I haven't heard Lennox Lewis sound anything like a Canadian. He's a poser, eh? :blink:

Busyman
10-19-2005, 04:53 PM
You must have been in another dimension when I said that.

I haven't heard Lennox Lewis sound anything like a Canadian. He's a poser, eh? :blink:
What?

ahctlucabbuS
10-19-2005, 04:57 PM
The same goes for bread.

Our views on human nature, and what's well deserved regardless of input obviously differ. Not a big surprise however seeing as you were brought up in a society that teaches you to care for the rich and powerful.

manker
10-19-2005, 04:57 PM
You said that you thought all English people sounded like Lennox Lewis.

Since Lennox Lewis sounds nothing like how an English person speaks, you must either have not heard anyone else speak that was English or heard loads of English people speak yet decided that Lennox Lewis was the only one that sounded English.

Either scenario is odd, but I went with the former. So said that you must have lived in a cave not to have heard any other English person speak.

So ... that's my comment explained, hows about you tidy up what you actually meant.

enoughfakefiles
10-19-2005, 05:03 PM

Since Lennox Lewis sounds nothing like how an English person speaks, you must either have not heard anyone else speak that was English or heard loads of English people speak yet decided that Lennox Lewis was the only one that sounded English.

Either scenario is odd, but I went with the former. So said that you must have lived in a cave not to have heard any other English person speak.

So ... that's my comment explained, hows about you tidy up what you actually meant.

Don't americans speak english all the time. :unsure:

Busyman
10-19-2005, 05:06 PM
The same goes for bread.

Our views on human nature, and what's well deserved regardless of input obviously differ. Not a big surprise however seeing as you were brought up in a society that teaches you to care for the rich and powerful.
No. I am for universal healthcare in theory. However, the basic right to healthcare is already there.

DanB
10-19-2005, 05:12 PM

Edit: I'm not going to go on in a debate about your medical system. It's widely known to be lacking for people with no insurance - John Kerry had the issue in his campaign.
The same goes for bread.
:huh:

vidcc
10-19-2005, 05:30 PM

where did you hear that :unsure:

manker
10-19-2005, 05:32 PM

where did you hear that :unsure:He must use other interweb forums.

Traitor :pinch:

Busyman
10-19-2005, 05:45 PM

Seems like you are doing the tidying up.

You said....

You must have lived in a cave if the only 'English' person you ever heard speak until Snatch aired was Lennox Lewis
I never said that so must have been in another dimension and Bizarro Busyman must have been talking.

Lennox sounds nothing like any Canadian I've heard. The Canadians I've heard sound like the guys from the movie Strange Brew, French, or northern American.

Lennox Lewis' voice does not equal the Jim Carrey's.

enoughfakefiles
10-19-2005, 05:49 PM
.Lennox Lewis' voice does not equal the Jim Carrey's.

Your right,i've never heard lennox say all righty then. :rolleyes:

manker
10-19-2005, 05:50 PM

So ... that's my comment explained, hows about you tidy up what you actually meant.Seems like you are doing the tidying up.

You said....

You must have lived in a cave if the only 'English' person you ever heard speak until Snatch aired was Lennox Lewis
I never said that so must have been in another dimension and Bizarro Busyman must have been talking.

Lennox sounds nothing like any Canadian I've heard. The Canadians I've heard sound like the guys from the movie Strange Brew, French, or northern American.

Yeah, I said I explained :blink:

So what if Lennox doesn't souind Canadian. He definitely doesn't sound English - which is what you thought English people sounded like. You realised that they didn't when you saw Snatch.

So ... prior to being enlightened as to how English people speak, was Canadian raised Lennox Lewis your only point of reference.

Or were you talking pish.

horia
10-19-2005, 05:54 PM
in my opinion each country has it's ups and downs and the US seems to have it's up now and it will have it untill another country will succesfully compete with it on all "subjects"... I mean maybe the EU will make smth good and nice and maybe it will become the best country ...
also I want to say that america has it's pros and cons... I agree .. the best life style the quality of life all are pros but we have 2 watch the cons to.. wars.. enemies .. terrorists ... junk stuff.... mass pollution (noone seems to care to much about that.. and through this I mean that the US doesn't have laws like the EU to reduce car pollution and that sux :( )
I admit that one of my dream is to go there.. nice country nice ppl ... and the today's super power... the question what makes USA what it is is a complex question with a simple answer.. some would say the way of thinking.. some the history but me personally I think all the stuff make US what it is with the good and the bad cause there is no such thing as perfection so like every wood has it's dried trees the USA and all the rest of us have bad points...

Busyman
10-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Seems like you are doing the tidying up.

You said....

Yeah, I said I explained :blink:

So what if Lennox doesn't souind Canadian. He definitely doesn't sound English - which is what you thought English people sounded like. You realised that they didn't when you saw Snatch.

So ... prior to being enlightened as to how English people speak, was Canadian raised Lennox Lewis your only point of reference.

Or were you talking pish.
Are you stupid or playing stupid? RIF.

I never said that. Quote where I said Lennox was the first English person I heard speak......and he does sound English.

Probably the first English person I heard speak was Benny Hill or should I say Bennay Hell.

manker
10-19-2005, 06:03 PM
The only stereotype I had was that everything by Brits was so gentlemanly and prim and propa and that I thought that the accent sounded very faggety/girly (Lennox Lewis)So you thought the British accent was like Lennox Lewis' accent.

If not, then it appears you were talking pish.

Maybe you just felt like typing Lennox Lewis in brackets for no reason whatsoever. I really don't know but whatever, I asked you to explain what you actually meant by that, as it's unclear.

I even went to the legnth of explaining my comment such that even newcomers to the language could understand it.

vidcc
10-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Look stop with the lennox argument, everyone that really knows the British accents knows that they all sound like dick van dyke. ;)

BTW can anyone explain which accent Sheena Easton has these days :huh:

Busyman
10-19-2005, 06:13 PM
The only stereotype I had was that everything by Brits was so gentlemanly and prim and propa and that I thought that the accent sounded very faggety/girly (Lennox Lewis)So you thought the British accent was like Lennox Lewis' accent.

If not, then it appears you were talking pish.

Maybe you just felt like typing Lennox Lewis in brackets for no reason whatsoever. I really don't know but whatever, I asked you to explain what you actually meant by that, as it's unclear.

I even went to the legnth of explaining my comment such that even newcomers to the language could understand it.
Where is the notion that he's the first Brit I heard? :blink: There's maw...

with high pitched bouncy tone.
No down and dirtyness. Of course when I see movies like Snatch, which is very gritty and dirty, and watch Hatton fight (so much energy I think he's on steroids), I am reminded that you have real men and faggots just like everybody else. :)
Lennox Lewis sounds like he's from Britain. John Cleese has that uppity voice as well.

Where's Lennox from btw?

manker
10-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Lennox is from the same place as Snatch was filmed.

I explained where I got the notion that Lennox was the first person you'd heard.

You're not reading what I write properly. There's a surprise.

Busyman
10-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Lennox is from the same place as Snatch was filmed.

I explained where I got the notion that Lennox was the first person you'd heard.

You're not reading what I write properly. There's a surprise.
The fact that you got that notion means you are not reading propa lee.

I thought Lennox sounded British when I heard him talk. Amazing he's was actually born over there and not Canada. I musta got the British sounding thing from thin air.

manker
10-19-2005, 06:23 PM
I musta got the British sounding thing from thin air.No shit :lol:

Busyman
10-19-2005, 07:02 PM
I musta got the British sounding thing from thin air.No shit :lol:
....and he just so happened to be from London. :lol: :lol:

Thin air over there indeed.

manker
10-19-2005, 07:12 PM
No shit :lol:
....and he just so happened to be from London. :lol: :lol: Yeah ... exactly :blink:

From the east end of London, so any accent would have sounded nothing whatsoever like John Cleese or any other 'Prim and propa/faggety girly' English bloke.

Totally different, in fact.

===

The only stereotype I had was that everything by Brits was so gentlemanly and prim and propa and that I thought that the accent sounded very faggety/girly (Lennox Lewis)Posted that so you don't ask me to show where you said it, again.

Busyman
10-19-2005, 07:20 PM
....and he just so happened to be from London. :lol: :lol: Yeah ... exactly :blink:

From the east end of London, so any accent would have sounded nothing whatsoever like John Cleese or any other 'Prim and propa/faggety girly' English bloke.

Totally different, in fact.

To you they are totally different. To us they are British sounding. Amazing what I heard accent-wise turns out to be the case.

===

The only stereotype I had was that everything by Brits was so gentlemanly and prim and propa and that I thought that the accent sounded very faggety/girly (Lennox Lewis)Posted that so you don't ask me to show where you said it, again.
Said what....that he's the first Brit I ever heard? :O :ermm:

I sure don't see that anywhere?

manker
10-19-2005, 07:22 PM
Round and round.

Bye, Busy.

Peerzy
10-19-2005, 07:25 PM

Edit: Here is a line from the UK National Audit Office Press Notice. "Most adults in England are now overweight, and one in five is obese".

1) I never said England is good.
2) Last time i went to a match we didn't. When England play as an internation side in different countries people bring English flags with the name of there home town written on them to show the team has support from that part of the country.
3) Yes, but never half way through a hurricane and i wasn't about 30 trying to put a flag up there.

ziggyjuarez
10-19-2005, 07:27 PM
Peerzy i would love to fight you in real life.

Cheese
10-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Round and round.

Bye, Busy.

He is a special type of idiot...

Anyone got a audio clip of Lennox Lewis? I haven't heard his voice in a while but I do remember he didn't have a British accent.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-19-2005, 07:40 PM

2) Last time i went to a match we didn't. When England play as an internation side in different countries people bring English flags with the name of there home town written on them to show the team has support from that part of the country.
3) Yes, but never half way through a hurricane and i wasn't about 30 trying to put a flag up there.

Thank you for replying Peerzy.

1. I was simply turning the question around. I never meant to imply you did say such.

2. But the point is, they still fly them. Like you said yourself, it is support.

3. I actually didn't realize you meant that they were climbing the trees during the storm. Please chalk that one up to my misunderstanding. And indeed, it was an incredibly stupid thing to do.

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Round and round.

Bye, Busy.

Anyone got a audio clip of Lennox Lewis? I haven't heard his voice in a while but I do remember he didn't have a British accent.

To be honest, I couldn't give a rat's ass what he sounded like, he could sound like Shirley Temple for all I care. The end result, is the morning after a match, someone is waking up to a world of pain.

Peerzy
10-19-2005, 07:51 PM

1. I was simply turning the question around. I never meant to imply you did say such.

2. But the point is, they still fly them. Like you said yourself, it is support.

3. I actually didn't realize you meant that they were climbing the trees during the storm. Please chalk that one up to my misunderstanding. And indeed, it was an incredibly stupid thing to do.

1) K'
2) Well, really we hang them from the stands :pinch: and that is pretty much the only time we hang/fly them.
3) Yes there was flowing water below her and she was having trouble even holding onto the flag as she climbed the tree.

Busyman
10-19-2005, 10:46 PM

1) K'
2) Well, really we hang them from the stands :pinch: and that is pretty much the only time we hang/fly them.
3) Yes there was flowing water below her and she was having trouble even holding onto the flag as she climbed the tree.
3) She was a dumbass playing up to the cameras. Patriotism is great but get a fucking grip. :dry:

Busyman
10-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Round and round.

Bye, Busy.

It's not as pure yaws but it's definitely there.

He lived in London a decent amount of time so it's understandable that he'll have a British accent ffs. I really don't know why the fact of me puting his name in parenthesis brought into question his obvious accent.

It's his accent, not a representation of his character or anything. :ermm:

Proper Bo
10-19-2005, 10:59 PM
what do you define as a "british" accent exactly? I'm pretty sure for example Manker and myself sound very different yet both have a british accent.

enoughfakefiles
10-19-2005, 11:00 PM
what do you define as a "british" accent exactly? I'm pretty sure for example Manker and myself sound very different yet both have a british accent.

Apparently lennox lewis.

DarthInsinuate
10-19-2005, 11:01 PM
A British accent is any accent from Britland, or Austrailia

Proper Bo
10-19-2005, 11:05 PM
well i can honestly say that from the two occasions on which I've ever met american people, one group thought I was from "Edin-bu-row" and the other complimented me on my good english (thinking I was Dutch!)

enoughfakefiles
10-19-2005, 11:09 PM
well i can honestly say that from the two occasions on which I've ever met american people, one group thought I was from "Edin-bu-row" and the other complimented me on my good english (thinking I was Dutch!)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a thick lancashire accent. I was once working offshore on a pipelaying barge in thailand and i'd been on there 3 months with the same people. The barge foreman was american, and in the last week he asked me which part of ireland i came from. :blink:

Busyman
10-19-2005, 11:10 PM
I can't explain it I guess. I know it when I hear it though. Words are pronounced differently and have different inflection.

There was a fella I worked with in Virginia that was from the Caribbean islands. He had an island accent but it sounded British. When I asked him he told me the British originally settled the island he was from.

It's weird that manker can't recognize Lennox as having a Brit accent yet over here it's CaptainObvious.

Incidently he told the story where he impregnated 2 woman on different occasions on the same day. He has two kids conceived on the same day from different mothers. :lol: :lol:

Proper Bo
10-19-2005, 11:12 PM
to be fair, it's also every canadian I've ever met (1), she thought I was from Ireland.
Maybe being mistaken for scottish is slightly acceptable though, there are a few similarities between 'em and geordie

Busyman
10-19-2005, 11:15 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a thick lancashire accent. I was once working offshore on a pipelaying barge in thailand and i'd been on there 3 months with the same people. The barge foreman was american, and in the last week he asked me which part of ireland i came from. :blink:
Over here I probably first heard Irish accents due to commercials from http://www.tvacres.com/images/lucky1.gif

Proper Bo
10-19-2005, 11:16 PM
I can't explain it I guess. I know it when I hear it though. Words are pronounced differently and have different inflection.

There was a fella I worked with in Virginia that was from the Caribbean islands. He had an island accent but it sounded British. When I asked him he told me the British originally settled the island he was from.

It's weird that manker can't recognize Lennox as having a Brit accent yet over here it's CaptainObvious.

Incidently he told the story where he impregnated 2 woman on different occasions on the same day. He has two kids conceived on the same day from different mothers. :lol: :lol:

If anyone can find an audio clip of someone with a geordie accent and another with a welsh (dunno what part tis manker) accent just to show what I mean.

None of this arse off big brother fake geordie accent shite though, or the mackem accents in byker grove, byker my arse, pennywell (monkey smell) more like!:angry:

Busyman
10-19-2005, 11:17 PM
to be fair, it's also every canadian I've ever met (1), she thought I was from Ireland.
Maybe being mistaken for scottish is slightly acceptable though, there are a few similarities between 'em and geordie
Canadians are harder for me to put my finger on. Alot of comedians are Canadian and I mistook them for American. Lennox sounds nothing like any Canadian I've ever heard.

enoughfakefiles
10-19-2005, 11:18 PM

If anyone can find an audio clip of someone with a geordie accent and another with a welsh (dunno what part tis manker) accent just to show what I mean.

None of this arse off big brother fake geordie accent shite though, or the mackem accents in byker grove, byker my arse, pennywell (monkey smell) more like!:angry:

:O

You mean antny's not a geordie.

Proper Bo
10-19-2005, 11:18 PM
Canadians are harder for me to put my finger on.

Yes, the one I met was:naughty:

Proper Bo
10-19-2005, 11:19 PM

That cawk's from Consett:frusty:

I meant the narrator fella anyway, but nevermind:rolleyes:

Busyman
10-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Canadians are harder for me to put my finger on.

Yes, the one I met was:naughty:
The only European I've ever "dated" was a beautiful woman from Switzerland. Her last name was Bruhwiler. I met her while doing work at the Washington Monument and she asked me to take her picture (with her other female friend). From there I got her number and then we met up later the next day and a had beautiful night on the Baltimore Harbor (she'd never been there).
The rest I won't go into.

I regretted not keeping in touch with her. She was beautiful, voluptuous, fit, and funny. We kept in touch for awhile by email and she invited me to Switzerland but I never took her up on it.

I think she said she worked for Pfizer and was just traveling around the world. I remember not hearing much of an accent until she said "vich one" instead of "which one". Her father was German.

Proper Bo
10-19-2005, 11:33 PM
Oh yes, her, I know her, what with us both being from Europe.

Busyman
10-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Oh yes, her, I know her, what with us both being from Europe.
:lol: :lol:

Blythorama
10-20-2005, 10:59 AM

Check here for different accents around the British Isles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordings/index.shtml

peat moss
10-25-2005, 03:46 AM
I can't believe I read the whole thread , but often wondered why it ends up in the lounge . But Lennox Lewis to a Canadian sounds like someone with a phoney Brit accent or someone trying to gain fans from his new country .

How do we explain Mike Tyson ( Helium breath ) I hit him in his equilibriums he went down ! :cry:

Edit : Had to think about that . :)

brotherdoobie
10-25-2005, 04:24 AM
Check here for different accents around the British Isles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/voices/recordings/index.shtml

Interesting site. Thanks for the link.

Peace bd