PDA

View Full Version : NZB Question

Vuurvoske
10-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Oke question.

i download a game for example, but there's no nzb file with it. A friend of mine wants to download the game too, so i decide to make a nzb file for him. But when he downloads via the nzb the only thing he gets are a sort of txt files? :S

So if i want to make a nzb of files i downloaded how do i do that :X

Thnx in advance!!

Samurai
10-21-2005, 08:54 PM
Maybe his retention is shit, his ISP doesn't have newsgroups access, he's too poor to pay for newsgroups access or you may just be doing it wrong. I'm guessing it's the retention.

Damnatory
10-22-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm guessing it's the retention.

I'd have to agree, all the problems I have seen from people having text files after downloading were retention problems.

JPaul
10-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Either retention, or he doesn't have acess to the specific group does seem the most likely.

Does he seem to "download" as fast as a really fast thing, going dead fast.

accat13
10-23-2005, 11:00 PM
Are the files the correct size.....if they are they just need to be decoded try Uud32win or yenc32 to decode...This has happened to me in the past with certain nzb's, don't know why.

NIelkc
10-26-2005, 05:38 PM
I would vote retention, which service does he use?

Vuurvoske
11-04-2005, 10:59 AM
I would vote retention, which service does he use?

His isp is Home.nl, but we use the nzb files from http://usenetsearch.eweka.nl I have another isp which has a 3,5terrabyte newserver (biggest in europe). So what you say about retention.. i think that his newsserver is crap. I used to have the same isp as my friend and we had nothing but problems :X

Jimi...
11-04-2005, 02:28 PM
I'd suggest spending a little cash and going with a Usenet provider like Usenet Monster, NewsHosting or the likes. I'm with Usenet Monster and haven't had a problem yet.

top25
11-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Giganews rules its 5 bucks more than UsenetMonster and way better the newserver retention on most popular binarys is 55+days retention compared to
UsenetMonsters 14days and Newshostings 24days.Giganews our usenet is better than everybody's Hellz Yeah. :thumbsup:

Samurai
11-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Giganews rules its 5 bucks more than UsenetMonster and way better the newserver retention on most popular binarys is 55+days retention compared to
UsenetMonsters 14days and Newshostings 24days.Giganews our usenet is better than everybody's Hellz Yeah. :thumbsup:

I've also heard they cap users with "higher than normal" usage.

So... $15 p/m NewsHosting, 24 days (rising to 40), No caps.
Or... $25 p/m Giganews, 55 days, Possible capping.

Is it really worth the extra $10?

Damnatory
11-04-2005, 09:25 PM

I've also heard they cap users with "higher than normal" usage.

So... $15 p/m NewsHosting, 24 days (rising to 40), No caps.
Or... $25 p/m Giganews, 55 days, Possible capping.

Is it really worth the extra $10?
Yeah, that is what happened to me. :p
However, I have been using NewsHosting for about a year now and it is awesome. They say the retention is 24 days, but its more like 35, because I grabbed a REALLY old DVDr the other day and only had a few incompletes that were fixed with the pars.

RealitY
11-04-2005, 09:45 PM
I generally can manage around that also and theres no way the addition $10 is worth it...

Jimi...
11-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Well I'm paying $20 a month unlimited and with 4 connections, I've got a 2Mbit line and download at 225KB/s. I can get files that are 35 days so I don't know where you heard 14 days from.
I downloaded around 200GB last month, the only time my download rate dropped is when someone else started doing someone on the other PC in the house connected to the net.

top25
11-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Its simple i pay 10 more for 55 plus days retention i can get files most people cant and if i have a prob with them as far as usage in the following months ill just find better but im a very happy customer right now especially since newzbin is following suit of max retention newsservers with up to 60 days on binarys so the only way for me to take advantage of this extra retention was to choose giganews newshosting is just taking to long to upgrade thier retention to 45 days and that still wont beat giganews retention.That's why i had to cancel my newshosting account.ps. NewsMonsters site says that it has 14 days retention for binarys that where i saw that and i get max speeds aswell.giganews seems more stable than newshosting aswell i used to disconnect for no reason with newshosting from time to time.

RealitY
11-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Ive used NewsHsoting now for quite a long time and have no issues whatsoever and still think its the beast dela for the money around. If you think about it you can get NewsHosting on a yearly for $155 whereas GigNews is $300 unless they have a yearly discount I dont know about. Not to mention NewsHosting seems to have no issue with shared accounts also. As for retention Ive noticed its gotten better lately flooating near 40 days or so...

Samurai
11-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Yep, I just grabbed a file that was on Usenet September 28th!

I'm still in shock.