PDA

View Full Version : USB problem

Proper Bo
10-22-2005, 11:55 PM
I got a webcam, installed it all as it said, when it came to plugging in the camera itself, windows didn't recognise it, although the "new hardware detected" icon appeared but said it had not been installed properly and wouldn't work. I tried everything the troubleshooter came up with, and the helpfile was ironically, no help. Although it did mention something about USB port settings (I have no idea how this works).

I can add that I can't get my usb key to work in the usb port either, so it isn't just a faulty camera.

Any help would be appreciated.

S!X
10-23-2005, 12:10 AM
Check the manufacturer website for any driver updates?

Proper Bo
10-23-2005, 12:15 AM
the camera's drivers are up to date, and fook knows about the usb, i wouldn't know wo the manufacturer was

S!X
10-23-2005, 12:19 AM
I had the same problem with my old mp3 player and webcam, Both driver related.

Proper Bo
10-23-2005, 12:23 AM
its a SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller, or so it says, if that means anything to anybody, i haven't a clue

edit: just tried to update the driver, said windows couldn't find a better match for it

S!X
10-23-2005, 12:30 AM
edit: just tried to update the driver, said windows couldn't find a better match for it

Problem fixed?:huh:

Proper Bo
10-23-2005, 12:33 AM
nope

Santa
10-23-2005, 12:41 AM
are you using Xp ?
you say your usb key is not woring
but does windows recognize that you plug something into the usb slot? (popupballon etc)

Proper Bo
10-23-2005, 12:44 AM
i am on xp, yes

it does sometimes recognise it (as it did during installation, it came up saying it wasn't installed properly and may not function correctly) but not every time, as in it hasnt for the lsat 10 or so attempts (including restarting)

Santa
10-23-2005, 12:53 AM
xp should recognize it(it being usb key) and the driver for usb keys should be already in xp - if it is not then you need the driver cant remeber name will look it up

as for the webcam - the latter may solve the former

give me a sec

lynx
10-23-2005, 01:04 AM
I've seen similar problems with some cheap webcams. The problem is often badly written installation scripts, so only part of the drivers get installed. That then screws up the USB port so nothing works properly.

Of course, you probably tried the next port and it recognised it in that the first time, but not the second time because that port is now blocked too. And so on until you've satisfactorily blocked all your ports. :rolleyes:

If this is the problem, the only way round it is to uninstall the webcam drivers. Trouble is, the uninstall script is probably even worse than the install script in which case you will have to check the .inf to see exactly what it has installed and phyicaly remove them (and the .inf file) from your system.

Santa
10-23-2005, 01:09 AM
Pro -check if xp sees an error in you r usb
Click Start, and click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.
2. Click System, and then click the Hardware tab.
3. Click the Device Manager button.
4. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
check that there is no question mark or error

Proper Bo
10-23-2005, 02:06 AM
No errors, says it's all working fine, i think the problem (if its possible) may be in the configuration of the usb ports, cause they used to work fine, now they're...ghey!

Proper Bo
10-23-2005, 02:07 AM
I've seen similar problems with some cheap webcams. The problem is often badly written installation scripts, so only part of the drivers get installed. That then screws up the USB port so nothing works properly.

Of course, you probably tried the next port and it recognised it in that the first time, but not the second time because that port is now blocked too. And so on until you've satisfactorily blocked all your ports. :rolleyes:

If this is the problem, the only way round it is to uninstall the webcam drivers. Trouble is, the uninstall script is probably even worse than the install script in which case you will have to check the .inf to see exactly what it has installed and phyicaly remove them (and the .inf file) from your system.

I know f all about webcams, tis a logitech quickcam messenger, only thing is, I know the problem's not with the software cause the one on the other PC works fine

kazaa2002
10-26-2005, 01:19 AM
I know f all about webcams, tis a logitech quickcam messenger, only thing is, I know the problem's not with the software cause the one on the other PC works fine

Pro, I had a similiar problem with a zen micro player...
we had 2 players....but usb cord on one was not working
caused problems.
had a cheap digital camera...usb cord problem...
resolved it by borrowing working cord, perhaps you could borrow
cord from the other pc's webcam...I know it is farfetched but maybe...