PDA

View Full Version : LCD Monitor

Skydragon
10-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Do they only last 3-5 years?? I was thinking of getting one, but after hearing that it won't last long...I don't think I want to blow 1000 bucks on one.

Skiz
10-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Not that I think you're fibbing, but do you have a link to this accusation? I've had my two LCD's for just over two years and they have no signs of fading or any other illnesses. I'm just wondering why it is supposed to die after such a short time. :huh:

clocker
10-24-2005, 12:37 AM
What monitor are you spending a grand on?
Good 19" models are available for under half that amount.

twisterX
10-24-2005, 12:42 AM
newegg.com has 19in monitors starting at like 260

silent h3ro
10-24-2005, 12:45 AM
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=320-4221&c=us&cat=snp&category_id=6198&cs=04&l=en&mnf=694&Page=productlisting.aspx

twisterX
10-24-2005, 01:22 AM
too expensive.

Also LCD are great. I got mine last year, no dead pixels and just like the day i got it.

miklosh
10-24-2005, 04:17 AM
Today monitors last more than a few years.

Barbarossa
10-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Do they only last 3-5 years?? I was thinking of getting one, but after hearing that it won't last long...I don't think I want to blow 1000 bucks on one.

That's nonsense. As far as I know, they last as long as any other sort of monitors...

Also, $1000? :O Way too much....

3RA1N1AC
10-24-2005, 12:19 PM
i read a report on bloomberg that sez there is a glut of LCD screens in the u.s.a.

apparently the electronics companies were WAY too optimistic about LCD sales and now they're sitting on a ton of recent-ish monitors & TVs that they're itching to get rid of. probably to make room for newer product lines. prices are being slashed on some models already, and the average price will be coming down drastically in the near future.

dunno about other countries though -- whether or not they've oversupplied the rest of the world, as well...

matt526
10-24-2005, 06:21 PM
I am more then sure that LCD monitors as well as TV’s are designed with a 3-5 year life in mind. This does not mean that after 5 years they will just quit. It just means that while testing the Displays in the Lab before production they where tested based on a 3-5 year life.

Seedler
10-25-2005, 01:35 AM
I just bought a 17-inch BenQ 705 LCD yesterday, for only $215+SH which ended up being $230. Who cares if they only last a couple of years when they cost less than $250 Canadian?

maebach
10-25-2005, 01:44 AM
I just bought a 17-inch BenQ 705 LCD yesterday, for only $215+SH which ended up being $230. Who cares if they only last a couple of years when they cost less than $250 Canadian?

I wish I could buy an LCD, I tihnk I'll stick to my KDS Visual Sensation for now :(

silent h3ro
10-25-2005, 01:59 AM
too expensive.

Also LCD are great. I got mine last year, no dead pixels and just like the day i got it.Actually that monitor can be found under $800 and it has tons of Dell coupons, but still thats a ton of money to spend on a LCD.

Barbarossa
10-25-2005, 08:07 AM
I am more then sure that LCD monitors as well as TV’s are designed with a 3-5 year life in mind. This does not mean that after 5 years they will just quit. It just means that while testing the Displays in the Lab before production they where tested based on a 3-5 year life.

Surely it's got to boil down to how much you use it? :huh:

Or is that 3-5 years of continuous use...?

Gripper
10-25-2005, 12:33 PM
I know you shouldn't spray cleaner on them like on a normal monitor:dry: or rub them to hard as you end up with a "scratched" screen..Oh well you live and learn:lol:

harrycary
10-25-2005, 11:37 PM
It's already known that running an LCD screen 24/7 will decrease the life span substantially. Just take a look at the screens of the cash registers of your local department store. I've also seen this in bar and restaurant registers.

That being said, the average user will easily get 3-5 years or more with today's designs and manufacturing methods.

btw, the true reason LCD prices are dropping is due to the manufacturing sector. Up until just a few years ago there just weren't as many plants producing the LCD screens themselves. The vast majority only came online 1-2 years ago. This has produced a plentiful supply, of which, we consumers have benefited. I didn't mind buying a nice 19" one for a mere $299(6 months ago), and they're even cheaper now. (widescreens are the next trend tho)

Finally, cleaning them with a 50/50 mix of isopropyl acohol and water works just fine. (no ammonia!)

cheers

3RA1N1AC
10-26-2005, 12:43 AM
btw, the true reason LCD prices are dropping is due to the manufacturing sector. Up until just a few years ago there just weren't as many plants producing the LCD screens themselves. The vast majority only came online 1-2 years ago. This has produced a plentiful supply, of which, we consumers have benefited. I didn't mind buying a nice 19" one for a mere $299(6 months ago), and they're even cheaper now. (widescreens are the next trend tho)
how is that some kind of revelation, compared to spokespersons for the companies saying "yeah prices are dropping because we fell short of expected sales"?

there's a too-much-supply too-little-demand disparity. you seem be implying that the prices are dropping just because the manufacturers prefer to sell the product at a lower price as soon as more factories are running so that the consumer can benefit. uh. no they don't. when demand is high, it's a "seller's market" and the price stays high. when demand is low, it's a "buyer's market" and the price drops. if they could meet their sales goals and keep the prices high, they'd be thrilled. the low demand is forcing the prices down.

in fact, personal computers & consumer electronics has been a buyer's market for a few years, now, to the disappointment of manufacturers. there are pretty much 2 hot items that they could charge as much as they want to charge, and people would still buy: playstation and ipod. anything else, the sales numbers are going to suck, if it doesn't get dirt cheap a.s.a.p.

harrycary
10-26-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm not implying anything with regard to supply and demand. That was never my point.

I'm just stating what I've read in the trade magazines.

It's simply true. There weren't many manufacturers producing LCD screens. (to supply Dell, Samsung, Viewsonic, et al) And due to quality control issues, it has taken up until recently for more plants to reach full production.

Interpret that as you wish.

Seedler
10-27-2005, 02:29 AM
To the hell with LCDs, flat screen CRTs' is the way to go, if you have enough space that is.

3RA1N1AC
10-27-2005, 06:20 AM
To the hell with LCDs, flat screen CRTs' is the way to go, if you have enough space that is.
if you're talking about image quality, brightness, resistance to glare & ambient light, etc, then yes absolutely. problem is that CRT is only viable/affordable up to a certain screen size... and as you said, the tube takes up a lot of space.

Seedler
10-27-2005, 07:15 PM
if you're talking about image quality, brightness, resistance to glare & ambient light, etc, then yes absolutely. problem is that CRT is only viable/affordable up to a certain screen size... and as you said, the tube takes up a lot of space.

Yah, I needed the LCD for my already crammed desk. Would have gotten a brilliant 20 inch CRT if I had enough space. It would have been cheaper as well.

silent h3ro
10-30-2005, 04:03 PM
@ Seedler - make room for it!