PDA

View Full Version : Xp Has A Problem After I Install The Althon Xp2400

Wolfmight
04-17-2003, 11:21 AM
problem solved

----
I just installed my althon xp chip, my pc showed the new Main Proccessor as AMD Althon XP™ 2400. It just when i boot now, I get some stupid error message that Windows XP is missing System32/Drivers/ntfs.sys. NTFS!? that's on the hardrive! so why is it saying that when it shoulda said something about the proccessor. The error also mentioned to used the Windows XP cd to fix the problem, so I went right ahead to that step......and whaddda ya know!!!, Cannot start the damn cd also cause it says "setupdd.sys could not be loaded" "error code 4".
Hope someone here can help. I'm checkin out some Bios stuff to see if it helps.

CornerPocket
04-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Try putting back the other chip you replaced. Perhaps you need a BIOS update to support the chip. If the system boots up with the old chip, update bios. Despite system recognizing the 2400 there could be a fix to properly run it.

Not sure about the XP cd, almost seems as though they intentionally rig it to corrupt or something, my 1st XP Pro cd worked for a few months of use for repairs, etc. then went bye-bye on me. Bad file this, bad file that error messages. ;)

Wolfmight
04-17-2003, 01:08 PM
I got the latest Bios version and it says the Processor is Althon XP 2400. just xp doesn boot it. I think i need a newer motherboard. I read the cpu support list on the ESC website and it said supports 2200+, so that must mean it doesnt support 2400. Arrrg...so close! lol.
Well I'm gonna go with a Asus, MCI, Gigabyte, or some other good brand motherboard. This ESC Elitegroup K7SEM seems cheap! :angry:

CornerPocket
04-17-2003, 02:53 PM
The motherboard is compatible with the cpu. That has been proven, besides if you search you see that some sell it as a mobo/cpu combo (K7SEM-Athlon 2400). balamm has a point, try resetting the CMOS..it could very well be XP itself and not a cpu compatibility issue.

Wolfmight
04-17-2003, 02:55 PM
How do I reset the CMOS?

CornerPocket
04-17-2003, 06:20 PM
Check you motherboard manual, should have a jumper (#) somewhere near or in the vicinity of the battery. Usually you just power down the system, move the jumper, wait a half minute or so, move back and reboot. After doing so you will need to check the bios clock/date settings and any other setting you want changed.

Okay just reveiwed the online manual from ECS website look for jumper JP1 that is your Cmos jumper. If you have your manual or view online manual (http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/manual_k7s.html) and go to page 14 - Setting Board Jumpers (something like that) follow instructions.............post back.

Wolfmight
04-17-2003, 10:40 PM
k i tried that.
Still says the error. :-(

Wolfmight
04-18-2003, 12:09 AM
dam i tryed to use the old chip(so i could use the pc again) and it started to burn. Well maybe the mobo.. maybe some of my spi or something fell onto it lol

texasbeachbum
04-18-2003, 02:48 AM
You will have to reinstall XP it won't work till you do.Any time you change anything like that with XP it will have to be reinstalled.You can change you Ram and have to reinstall XP.

ooo
04-18-2003, 02:53 AM
hey thatz what happened to me

nfts is the hard drive type thing ma jig... itz like fat32...

well what i did was get boot up floopies >> then reinstalled windows xp made sure all the setup files installed ....

i made 2 win xp cd

one of them only works for the first part and one only works for the second part of the install... when i get missing files i just swap the disk around...

ooo
04-18-2003, 02:55 AM
xp pro boot up (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=55820EDB-5039-4955-BCB7-4FED408EA73F)

http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act...ST&f=31&t=27790 (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=31&t=27790)

link about the nfts and setup... read nobody/somebody's post

CornerPocket
04-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by texasbeachbum@17 April 2003 - 21:48
You will have to reinstall XP it won't work till you do.Any time you change anything like that with XP it will have to be reinstalled.You can change you Ram and have to reinstall XP.
Guess that all depends. I've changed internal devices many times and no reinstall was necessary.

Wolfmight
04-18-2003, 01:20 PM
It wont even turn on. I found a good deal though.
Asus motherboard+althon xp 2400 package. only $128.
:D (the proccessor is already installed on the chip and is compatable. I'm gettin it from Fry's)
gonna return my other althon xp chip.

Wolfmight
04-19-2003, 02:50 AM
--problem solved--

;) thanks for giving help