PDA

View Full Version : NewzMonster.com

RealitY
10-25-2005, 07:27 AM
Have they just vanished or what...
http://newzmonster.com/

Damnatory
10-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Last I knew FD had just added two new server to handle the strain of the new traffic since he added the grasscutter program.

His site has been down for a couple of days, I think he was hacked, but not sure, he had a progress list posted, but by the looks of the site now the domain was reabsorbed. :mellow:

Filliz
10-26-2005, 02:35 AM
Will be back with a vengeance very soon :).

That's what it says on their site.

Damnatory
10-26-2005, 03:18 AM
That's what it says on their site.

Very good to see indeed. :D

NIelkc
10-26-2005, 05:39 PM
That is good news:)

Damnatory
10-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Alright story time folks.

Last friday the datacenter had been ordered to upgrade our Dual Opteron from 2Gb ram to 4Gb, our server is a Socket 940 Dual Opteron board and for even the most unitiated in hardware they should know that socket 940 boards demand ECC Registered memory not normal sticks. The host did not know this though.

They put the ram in and switched the server back on to find it was dead, then the tech (and I use that term in it's most loose tense) decided that he would put the old ram back in, when he did the Grub loader wouldn't boot the system, he then decided to re-install the OS and in the process wiped out the 2 RAID arrays we had setup. All data was lost, years worth. We're talking all newzmonster data, all snarf data and all of both forums data. Snarf forum had years worth of mods and over 330,000 members. Things were as you could say fucked.

The data center tech left the server as it was, dead and useless. It took 3 days of bitching, shouting and threats of legal action to get it back up, we then managed to rescue the sql data but all files had been lost.

Whilst all this was going on the news about BREIN emerged that they were going to start hitting torrent sites with some sort of action, FD decided that this catastrophe that befallen us may actually be a blessing in disguise, he ordered that snarf was to leave holland and supposedly NM too, NM was never really going to leave Holland though.

Yesterday we got our server back up, we have began rebuilding newzmonster and I have been charged with the task of the forum, from now on FD has passed the responsibility of the forum to myself as he has decided it's time to let other people shoulder some responsibility for the network, with the way we are growing it is too much for even him to handle.

So that's where we are now, I haven't slept for 26hrs as I've been recreating the mods on this forum and working with DC to get the main site back up. The site will be back up sometime around Saturday as we have decided to wait for the new ram upgrade (ECC registered this time) so we can put the site sql in a ramdisk making it lightning fast for our users.

THe grasscutter meanwhile has been distribuited amongst 3 servers, we are confident that we can now run this 24/7 and it will have no impact on the site loading times as it's seperate. We thank everyone for their support and will have our kickass site back for you with bells on very soon.

-Target-
Seems they have been having a very tough time indeed. :(

SILENTRESIDENT
10-27-2005, 07:56 PM
seems to be back on now just looked different layout though

Damnatory
10-27-2005, 08:15 PM
just looked different layout though
They haven't got the main site back up yet, the only part re-implemented at the moment is the forum.

Back on Saturday when the site opens, GC [GrassCutter] is still running.

Damnatory
11-02-2005, 08:42 PM
Looks like NewzMonster should be opening back up today!

Ok site opening is looking closer now we've fixed some nasty last minute critters, we are filling up the db with nzb's (we have 3000 right now) and will open the site when we hit 10,000 nzb's which should be a few hours.

JPaul
11-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Good news, they thought it would be back online a couple of days ago. Better not to rush things tho' and get it right.