PDA

View Full Version : Energy saving

keyser_soze
10-27-2005, 10:59 PM
Being a bit of a country bumpkin :D I could'nt help noticing while on a course in Birmingham the amount of office blocks that were fully lit at night while seeming to be totally empty, I think its about time some law was passed forcing buildings to make use of sensors that switch on the lights when someone enters the room like in newly designed buildings, surely the initial outlay will be compensated in the long run and drastically reduce energy bills for companies. just seems odd that energy companies give advice to the public that might make a minute difference to power use when thier head office is lit up like a Christmas tree with two security guards in.:unsure:

GepperRankins
10-27-2005, 11:08 PM
good point. i know at some call centres they have stickers saying "swith off monitor when not in use" but it ain't enough

keyser_soze
10-27-2005, 11:33 PM
Great minds think alike thats why we both play BF2;)

DorisInsinuate
10-28-2005, 12:02 AM
I don't see why they can't just have light switches, and the last one out should turn them off like normal people.

Also if they turn the lights off at night we'll be able to look up at the stars as we had all those years ago, unless you live in England where it's always cloudy

Only the crumbliest, flakiest chocolate, tastes like chocolate never tasted before

ahctlucabbuS
10-28-2005, 12:21 AM
Same with over night computers, and standby television sets. Combined they eat a crap load of power.

vidcc
10-28-2005, 04:18 AM
If everyone starts being fuel efficient prices will rise because of reduced demand. profits must be maintained. :rolleyes:

Barbarossa
10-28-2005, 08:33 AM
It was on Breakfast Time this morning, if you leave a mobile phone charger plugged in all the time, even without plugging the phone into it, it could be adding as much as £25 a year to your electricity bill. :O

GepperRankins
10-28-2005, 01:48 PM
If everyone starts being fuel efficient prices will rise because of reduced demand. profits must be maintained.

i don't think that's how it works :blink:

vidcc
10-28-2005, 02:02 PM
i don't think that's how it works :blink:

Don't you remember the energy utilities citing that as one of the reasons for price rises after the quite successful "Save it" campaign in the UK?. I was living in the UK at the time. Mind you I think that may have been before privatisation and was possibly more about losses than profit.

GepperRankins
10-28-2005, 02:38 PM
that'll have been in the happy days before i gave a shit about politics. privatisation sucks :dry:

Virtualbody1234
10-28-2005, 07:07 PM
If everyone starts being fuel efficient prices will rise because of reduced demand. profits must be maintained. :rolleyes:
I also don't think that's how "supply and demand" works. When there's too much demand, they put prices up.

vidcc
10-28-2005, 07:36 PM
I also don't think that's how "supply and demand" works. When there's too much demand, they put prices up. That works in an open market where one can actually choose where to get ones power from. Although one can decide to pay the bill to a different source, with utilities the supply is basically fixed. It's not like shopping around at different stores to find the cheapest coffee.
I was posting on what happened, not a "market theory"

vidcc
10-28-2005, 07:41 PM
. privatisation sucks :dry:
With some things I agree. When Thatcher "sold the family jewels" everyone seemed happy that if they bought shares they made a quick profit. Then utility prices rose. The one saving grace was price regulations applied by the UK government without which prices would have risen even faster. In all I feel the consumer lost out on that deal.

GepperRankins
10-28-2005, 08:06 PM
privatisation ruined the railways and pretty soon it's gonna fuck over the NHS

Gripper
10-28-2005, 08:44 PM
NHS already fecked,its in terminal decline,I think part of growing up is when you start giving a shit about bills and saving money.

GepperRankins
10-28-2005, 09:28 PM
i'd rather pay more tax than have fat cats fixing prices, making it too expensive for poor people to get insured and bieng unaccountable when they fail

keyser_soze
10-30-2005, 12:06 AM
What would help the N.H.S would be doctors being made to serve a min of 10 years in N.H.S before they can go into private practice and pay back the ppl that trained them, same should apply for dentists.

j2k4
10-30-2005, 12:34 AM
NHS already fecked,its in terminal decline,I think part of growing up is when you start giving a shit about bills and saving money.

I can't quite believe I read that correctly.

One for the archive.

The answer to all our prayers is "in terminal decline".

I heard it here first.:lol:

Barbarossa
10-31-2005, 11:14 AM
What would help the N.H.S would be doctors being made to serve a min of 10 years in N.H.S before they can go into private practice and pay back the ppl that trained them, same should apply for dentists.

It's a nice idea, but they would just go abroad. :(

keyser_soze
11-05-2005, 02:52 AM
They usually do, I don't mind it when foreign doctors get trained here and go back to thier homeland where thier needed most but its the ones that have compared to the average person a life of luxury but feel that they should drive a bentley b4 paying back us taxpayers for thier years in uni running round stark bollock naked with traffic cones on thiers heads , I wonder where hippocrates is when they're discussing thier salary?

Rat Faced
11-12-2005, 09:08 PM
I also don't think that's how "supply and demand" works. When there's too much demand, they put prices up. That works in an open market where one can actually choose where to get ones power from. Although one can decide to pay the bill to a different source, with utilities the supply is basically fixed. It's not like shopping around at different stores to find the cheapest coffee.
I was posting on what happened, not a "market theory"

It is an open market in UK for electricity.

Gas appears to be, but isnt really... as at the end of the day it all comes from British Gas (ironically the most expensive supplier of the stuff)