PDA

View Full Version : Getting My Teeth Pulled.

JunkBarMan
10-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Tomorrow 10:30 am est.

4 "Wisdom" teeth, as the dentist tells me they are called. Seems a bit dumb to go through with this, but my dentist says they are crowding my mouth. Thought it was ok to me.

About the only benefit I can see coming from this is the amount of pain killers I will legally be allowed to ingest. :naughty:

Proper Bo
10-31-2005, 02:15 PM
I;ve had 8 teeth out at once, then another four. The gas is great fun, sitting there high whilst you hear your teeth cracking as they get yanked out, with the dentist practically putting his foot on your head to get leverage. The six injections I got each time were nasty though, four in the gums, one under the tongue, and the worst in the roof of the mouth, it scraped right across the flesh before going in. Noice

Barbarossa
10-31-2005, 02:18 PM
I;ve had 8 teeth out at once, then another four. The gas is great fun, sitting there high whilst you hear your teeth cracking as they get yanked out, with the dentist practically putting his foot on your head to get leverage. The six injections I got each time were nasty though, four in the gums, one under the tongue, and the worst in the roof of the mouth, it scraped right across the flesh before going in. Noice

Good Luck JunkBarMan :01:

Anyone got any more horror stories...? :lol:

Proper Bo
10-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Horror stories? It's all true! I was only about 9 or 10 at the time too! I forgot to mention the amount of blood, and the fact that they tell you to swallow it, and drink warm salty water, and sent me off home with blood still pissing out my mouth. When I was walking home, everyone was asking if I was okay cause I must have looked like i'd been done in

Barbarossa
10-31-2005, 02:22 PM
That's the sort of thing... :D

My dad had some teeth out once, and one of them splintered while it was still in his gum, the dentist spent about 4 hours painstakingly removing all the fragments of tooth. Meanwhile, the painkillers wore off and he was in excrutiating pain for at least half of it.

JunkBarMan
10-31-2005, 02:30 PM
Not at all the results I expected, lol.

manker
10-31-2005, 02:34 PM
Dentists are gits who are only after your money.

When I'd just finished university, obviously, I was skint. I went to the dentist with toothache, as you do, and he decided that I needed root canal surgery.

The bill was going to be 'somewhere around £500-600'.

Luckily I didn't have the cash on me (:dry:) so he decided to make the appt for 3 months time. I was thinking of getting a loan but in the meantime the pain got worse so I went to the Doctors for painkillers, she perscribed me some antibiotics and the pain went away - years later, it still hasn't returned.

Needless to say I didn't bother with the totally unneeded, painful and expensive root canal surgery and changed dentists. The one I have now is probably also a complete git :dry:

Guillaume
10-31-2005, 02:41 PM
Dentists are gits who are only after your money.
Or sadists.

Or both. :fear:

JunkBarMan
10-31-2005, 02:51 PM
No injections for me, IV in my arm.

I am one of the "lucky" Americans with good health insurance, so this procedure is covered almost completely.

I agree, dentists are only after the money. When I went in for my checkup, seemed like the guy was mostly pushing his teeth whitening system on me.

You could be like this too! (absolutestockphoto.com/albums/userpics/10031/normal_Absolute_31_66.jpg)

tesco
10-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Last time i was at the orthodontist they were checking to see where my wisdom teeth are so they could have someone pull them.
It turns out they're coming in just fine and probably wont need pulling. BUt the thing is i have a second set of wisdom teeth behind the first ones that will need to come out. :frusty:

Barbarossa
10-31-2005, 03:03 PM
You are clearly much too wise for your own good! ;)

BigBank_Hank
10-31-2005, 03:42 PM
I just went through this about 3 months ago. The pain isn’t really as unbearable as the bill is.

If they are going to put you to sleep you have nothing to worry about. After they start you on the IV you’re all set. If you are nervous about them putting in the IV, like I was, ask them to give you some nitrous oxide before so you’ll be kind of out of it when they do it.

Just remember to take care of yourself afterwards. Make sure that you rinse your mouth out after every meal.

You can expect some pain for about a week or so but nothing really painful.

Good luck.

tesco
10-31-2005, 03:43 PM
If they are going to put you to sleep you have nothing to worry about. After they start you on the IV you’re all set. If you are nervous about them putting in the IV, like I was, ask them to give you some nitrous oxide before so you’ll be kind of out of it when they do it.
That's probably the scariest part. :fear:

BigBank_Hank
10-31-2005, 04:43 PM
It’s really not that bad. After the needle is inserted the worst part is over and when you wake up it’s done.

Proper Bo
10-31-2005, 04:45 PM
I was fully conscious the whole time, both times

zedaxax
10-31-2005, 05:40 PM
teeth are evolutionarily designed wrong for humans
they should be one solid piece with no indentations except for a rigged top for chewing.

tesco
10-31-2005, 05:54 PM
teeth are evolutionarily designed wrong for humans
they should be one solid piece with no indentations except for a rigged top for chewing.
ya but i bet it would be realy bad to break it wouldn't it?:O

zedaxax
10-31-2005, 05:58 PM
good point

zirjacks
10-31-2005, 09:40 PM
I had all four of my wisdom teeth and one tooth that was cracked from a wisdom tooth growing into it pulled in one sitting. The wisdoms were coming in sideways. Thankfully I got an IV and was totally knocked out during the whole thing. The next week was pretty rough but in the end it was well worth it. Oh, beware of the dry sockets, they suck.

j2k4
10-31-2005, 10:29 PM
Don't get carried away rinsing, it de-medicates the packing.

If you can avoid dry socket, you'll be fine.

If not, well...

Busyman
10-31-2005, 11:57 PM
Needless to say I didn't bother with the totally unneeded, painful and expensive root canal surgery and changed dentists.
Same here. No problems and that was about 9 years ago.:dry:

Busyman
11-01-2005, 12:03 AM
I am one of the "lucky" Americans with good health insurance, so this procedure is covered almost completely.
Here, Hear!!!

I payed about $100. I had 4 wisdoms removed this past January, had time off of work (a couple days thanks to Bill Clinton) afterwards and was totally back up to snuff in 2 weeks. I had revisits to remove some stitches and remove some tooth that was left in.

Adster
11-01-2005, 01:59 AM
my mother is gettign 3 teeth pulled out it was $350 for the check up

to get 3 teeth out it is going to fucking cost $8000!

Proper Bo
11-01-2005, 02:13 AM
I'll punch her for £10

BigBank_Hank
11-01-2005, 04:57 PM

Holly crap and I thought my dentist was expensive :O

Busyman
11-01-2005, 06:23 PM

Holly crap and I thought my dentist was expensive :O
Sounds like dentists are gettin' over in the down under.:O

I get check-ups/cleanings every 6 months for free.

Extractions should cost next to nothing. That's the way ghetto dentist do it for folks with no health insurance..............

Got a mere cavity? "Ahh yeah that tooth's gotta come out."

enoughfakefiles
11-01-2005, 06:34 PM
I've just had the nerve yanked out of one of my teeth today. How happy am i after being in pain all weekend.FTW:01:

Busyman
11-01-2005, 06:49 PM
I've just had the nerve yanked out of one of my teeth today. How happy am i after being in pain all weekend.FTW:01:
Are you getting a crown?

After a root canal the tooth becomes brittle.

enoughfakefiles
11-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Are you getting a crown?

After a root canal the tooth becomes brittle.

I'm having it root filled on the 17th.:01:

JunkBarMan
11-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Just got back. Well, I got back about 3 hours ago, but I just wokeup. Ok, they put the IV in my right arm, hooked up the meds, doc looked at me and said you should be feeling this right about now, and that was the last thing I remember.

Two cute nurses helped me walk to the recovery room. :naughty: Where I proceded to cry. WTF?!?! I didn't cry at my grandfather's funeral, but why the hell now? I feel like I'm about 10 years old at this point.

Now that I am more aware and awake, I have a small memory of one of my teeth getting pulled. It's really fussy and probably just some drug induced dream, but it's still weird.

My front lip and tip of my tongue are still numb, something to do with the nerve that the wisdom tooth was touching. Doc said this is normal and should come back shortly.

Only complaint, other then crying like a kid :shrug: , is the damn drugstore and their slow ass. Took them over an hour to fill my script and by that time my meds were wearing off. This was about an hour ago and now I took twice the dose and feel nothing and am quite happy. :thumbsup: Wow for a minute there it was horrible pain, but overall this wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be.

JunkBarMan
11-01-2005, 07:57 PM

WOW, wouldn't it be cheaper to fly to another country and get it done there? I mean, with a little research you prolly could save yourself a few $1000.

BigBank_Hank
11-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Just got back. Well, I got back about 3 hours ago, but I just wokeup. Ok, they put the IV in my right arm, hooked up the meds, doc looked at me and said you should be feeling this right about now, and that was the last thing I remember.

Two cute nurses helped me walk to the recovery room. :naughty: Where I proceded to cry. WTF?!?! I didn't cry at my grandfather's funeral, but why the hell now? I feel like I'm about 10 years old at this point.

Now that I am more aware and awake, I have a small memory of one of my teeth getting pulled. It's really fussy and probably just some drug induced dream, but it's still weird.

My front lip and tip of my tongue are still numb, something to do with the nerve that the wisdom tooth was touching. Doc said this is normal and should come back shortly.

Only complaint, other then crying like a kid :shrug: , is the damn drugstore and their slow ass. Took them over an hour to fill my script and by that time my meds were wearing off. This was about an hour ago and now I took twice the dose and feel nothing and am quite happy. :thumbsup: Wow for a minute there it was horrible pain, but overall this wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be.
Glad to hear that you made it through ok.

Did you ask for your teeth that they extracted? With the money that it cost me to have that done I sure as hell wanted my teeth. I don’t know what the hell I’m going to do with them but I just wanted them.

Proper Bo
11-01-2005, 08:50 PM
i kept mine, and i kept the staples they put in when I split my head open

Guillaume
11-01-2005, 08:52 PM
split my head open
Cracked a bad joke at lilmiss? :unsure:

Proper Bo
11-01-2005, 08:55 PM
no no, just fighting one night

JunkBarMan
11-01-2005, 09:12 PM
I was talking to my wife about saving my teeth on the ride there, and then by the time it came down to it, I was so nervous it just slipped my mind. I would have liked to see what those buggers looked like, my top ones were in bad shape.

After all's said and done this whole procedure will have cost me $319 U.S. And that's only because I chose to have the IV, it was an extra 275. Damn, I think I am in the wrong line of work.

BigBank_Hank
11-01-2005, 09:53 PM
I know what you mean. I’m a very nervous person already and something like that gets me all wound up, so much so that I asked for a Valium to help me to relax the night before and one for the morning of. By the time that I got there and they got me on the nitrous I was pretty much out of it. After staying in recovery for a while I still couldn’t walk to the car, so someone had to literally carry me to the car and put me in. I don’t remember anything after getting to the dentist’s office it was great.

I wouldn’t complain about the 300 bucks they charged you because it cost me almost two grand to have mine taken out.

enoughfakefiles
11-01-2005, 10:08 PM

Did they hook you up to the machine that goes bleep.

JunkBarMan
11-01-2005, 10:57 PM
No way am I complaining about the money man, I was just saying it pays to be in the business. 300 bucks is 300 bucks, but damn, 2000 is alot.

I complain a lot, but the money I saved was great. And, there's still a chance it could be less. According to my records I have only a 10% co-pay, but the orthodontist says its 20% according to the website or whatever he checked. I will just wait and see when they submit it to the insurance company and see what they say. Anything they overcharged me for comes back to me.

My family was telling me to I should have asked for the valium too, but I had no clue you just asked doctors for things like that.

Yeah, I had the heart monitor thing on my finger, blood pressure thing on my right arm, and three of those pads with wires connected to them, on different spots on my chest. Two on the chest and one on the belly, not sure why it was on my belly.