PDA

View Full Version : Samhain

Biggles
10-31-2005, 07:24 PM
A time to celebrate and reflect.

Lounge Alert

There follows a very short (but educational :fear2: ) potted history

Samhain

Since ancient times in the Celtic culture, October 31st has been celebrated as a feast for the dead, and also the day that marks the new year. This time of the year marked the beginning of the cold, lean months to come; the flocks were brought in from the fields to live in sheds until spring. Some animals were slaughtered, and the meat preserved to provide food for winter. The last gathering of crops was known as "Harvest Home," celebrated with fairs and festivals.

In addition to its agricultural significance, the ancient Celts also saw Samhain as a very spiritual time. October 31 is exactly between the Autumnal Equinox [September 20] and the Winter Solstice [December 21], and was considedred a very potent time for magic and communion with spirits. The "veil between the worlds" of the living and the dead was said to be at its thinnest on this day; so the dead were invited to return to feast with their loved ones; welcomed in from the cold, much as the animals were brought inside. Extra places were set at the table and food set out for any who had died that year. Ancient customs range from such placing food out for dead ancestors, to performing rituals for communicating with those who had passed over.

All Saints' Day
In the 8th century Pope Boniface IV designated November 1st All Saints' Day to honour those saints that didn't have a special day of their own.

The Pope hoped to replace the pagan Celtic festival with a church-sponsored holiday.

Over the years these festivals combined, the mass held on All Saints' Day was called Allhallowmass - the mass of the Hallows. The night before was known as All Hallows' Eve which eventually became known as Halloween.

All Saints' Day is said to be the day when souls walked the Earth. In early Christian tradition souls were released from purgatory on All Hallow's Eve for 48 hours, and cakes and wine were left out for them.

Three hundred years later, in 1000 CE, the church created All Souls' Day.

May you night be fun and your God(ess) be with you.

Gripper
10-31-2005, 07:41 PM
Nicely done Biggles
Merry meet to you and yours
Blessed be

zedaxax
10-31-2005, 07:44 PM
History and reality

no kids have come to my bunker to view the sacrificed choclate lamb
it mybe because i have the Celtic music on too load and my girlfriend is screaming to to be sacrificed with martini's and .....olives

HeavyMetalParkingLot
10-31-2005, 08:09 PM

Lounge Alert

Samhain

Since ancient times in the Celtic culture, October 31st has been celebrated as a feast for the dead, and also the day that marks the new year. This time of the year marked the beginning of the cold, lean months to come; the flocks were brought in from the fields to live in sheds until spring. Some animals were slaughtered, and the meat preserved to provide food for winter. The last gathering of crops was known as "Harvest Home," celebrated with fairs and festivals.

In addition to its agricultural significance, the ancient Celts also saw Samhain as a very spiritual time. October 31 is exactly between the Autumnal Equinox [September 20] and the Winter Solstice [December 21], and was considedred a very potent time for magic and communion with spirits. The "veil between the worlds" of the living and the dead was said to be at its thinnest on this day; so the dead were invited to return to feast with their loved ones; welcomed in from the cold, much as the animals were brought inside. Extra places were set at the table and food set out for any who had died that year. Ancient customs range from such placing food out for dead ancestors, to performing rituals for communicating with those who had passed over.

All Saints' Day
In the 8th century Pope Boniface IV designated November 1st All Saints' Day to honour those saints that didn't have a special day of their own.

The Pope hoped to replace the pagan Celtic festival with a church-sponsored holiday.

Over the years these festivals combined, the mass held on All Saints' Day was called Allhallowmass - the mass of the Hallows. The night before was known as All Hallows' Eve which eventually became known as Halloween.

All Saints' Day is said to be the day when souls walked the Earth. In early Christian tradition souls were released from purgatory on All Hallow's Eve for 48 hours, and cakes and wine were left out for them.

You forgot to put in the part were the Celts ripped off Día de los Muertos. :lol:

Biggles
10-31-2005, 08:22 PM

Lounge Alert

Samhain

All Saints' Day

You forgot to put in the part were the Celts ripped off Día de los Muertos. :lol:

Not to mention the haggis chimichangas :ph34r:

JPaul
10-31-2005, 08:29 PM
We've given out about 60 bags of misc garbáge so far. Not a bad year.

Biggles
10-31-2005, 09:34 PM

I am a little concerned that projectile vomitting may be an issue later with SGG. She appears to have done rather well too. :ermm:

j2k4
10-31-2005, 10:38 PM
I'd rather be there than here.

Halloween has lost any appeal it ever had for me; a regimented two hours for the trick-or-treating and it's over before/at dark.

The perverts have ruined it for everybody-tainted candy, preying on the children; my kids never knew what Halloween really was.

Sounds like an adult could enjoy All Saints' Day

JPaul
11-01-2005, 01:08 AM

I am a little concerned that projectile vomitting may be an issue later with SGG. She appears to have done rather well too. :ermm:
You speak as if projectile vomiting is a bad thing.

Barbarossa
11-01-2005, 10:24 AM
They were so polite around my way.. We had a big bowl of sweets all prepared, we had 3 gangs of trick-or-treaters who just took one or two each, rather than a big handful, so we've still got loads left.... :mellow:

Gripper
10-31-2007, 09:39 PM
Blessed be one and all.

JPaul
10-31-2007, 09:56 PM
And to you Gripper. We've given out over 80 bags of assorted garbage ce soir.

I was out with the wee yin for the first part of the proceedings and noticed that there were many more closed curtains than usual. The other Moms pointed out that it wasn't that long ago when a lot of them were taking their own weans round the houses. However it's now obviously an annoyance when other people's are doing it.

Fortunately there seems to be jungle drums re what houses to go to. Tho' to be fair all of the decorations on our windows and the flashing pumpkins and ghosts are probably a bit of a clue. It seems to have polarised that way.

samsamsamsam
10-31-2007, 10:19 PM
happy halloween fsssst http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/600/dhabspl8.gif

I had someone come to the door trick or treating dressed in regular clothes with a pair of glasses he's just drawn on in ink :01:

had layla's mum nip layla round to trick or treat too ^0^

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7634/hwht4.gif

JPaul
10-31-2007, 10:47 PM
Layla FTW :D

Can't believe that's the wee lassie you first posted phoaties of sam4. She's all growed up.

She looks so happy there mate, you must be proud as a big proud guy.

samsamsamsam
10-31-2007, 10:54 PM
sup JP :happy:

yah.. she's turned into a mini-human really quick :o

has like all her own ideas and likes and her own personality and ways ^_^

yup, I'm very proud of my monkey ^0^

Barbarossa
11-01-2007, 09:56 AM
They were so polite around my way.. We had a big bowl of sweets all prepared, we had 3 gangs of trick-or-treaters who just took one or two each, rather than a big handful, so we've still got loads left.... :mellow:

Two years on.. this year there was 6 gangs, they all turned their noses up at the sweets, and asked for money and drugs.

Oh how times have changed :mellow:

Biggles
11-01-2007, 10:15 AM

Two years on.. this year there was 6 gangs, they all turned their noses up at the sweets, and asked for money and drugs.

Oh how times have changed :mellow:

You have to sort of do an age check - one of those height things they have at fun factories would be ideal. Below a certain height it is mini mars bars and assorted candy junk above and its silver coins and vodka jellies. :dabs:

Very quiet this year - SGG is partying this weekend and No 1 son presumably had a celebratory game of Dungeons and Dragons up at Uni.

Edit: Had completely forgotten about this thread - doesn't time fly (like a banana)?

Chip Monk
11-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Back in the day were were happy to get a satsuma and a handful of monkey nuts.

chalice
11-01-2007, 01:43 PM
We had to sing for our supper.

Traditionally, it was...

"Halloween's coming on and the goose is getting fat.
Will you please put a penny in the old man's hat.
If you haven't got a penny, a hapenny will do."
If you haven't got a hapenny, God bless you and the old man too."

We had to sing that beore you got said satsuma. Now it's just "Trick or Treat".

Bloody weans don't know they're born.

Chip Monk
11-01-2007, 01:49 PM
How did the whole frightening the fuck out of your weans thing go, Chalice.

chalice
11-01-2007, 01:54 PM
How did the whole frightening the fuck out of your weans thing go, Chalice.

I showed it to Cullen, my 10 year old and he nearly shit a brick. Literally turned white and ran out of the room.

Great value. I considered showing it to my 6 year old daughter, Erin but I was too afeared of her ending up in psychoanalyses for the next couple of decades.

My 3 year old, Ethan was a superstar at the bobbing for apples. Water everywhere but worth it.

Chip Monk
11-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Sounds fantastic, probly a good call on the not scaring the shit out of the 6 year old lassie.

chalice
11-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Sounds fantastic, probly a good call on the not scaring the shit out of the 6 year old lassie.

Yeah, it's right weird some of the things that scare kids.

I'm sure you're not much of a fan but there's this kid's show on CBeebies called NumberJacks. Her eyeballs pop out of her skull when it comes on. She won't admit she's afraid of it but she will do anything to get the channel changed.

Freaks me out. I wonder if other kids react that way.

Chip Monk
11-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Just now we are mostly watching H2O a thing about mermaids and stuff.

Barbarossa
11-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Freaks me out. I wonder if other kids react that way.

No, my two-year-old loves numberjacks. Even though it is total pish. :blink:

Much to my annoyance though she has developed a fear of spiders, even though I was determined that she wouldn't. It must be her mother's influence :mellow:

chalice
11-01-2007, 03:44 PM
http://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/DVD/LF/767605_DV_L_F.jpg

Spooky.

The flying monkeys off of The Wizard Of Oz scared me shitless when I was a kid.

So did Evil Edna off of Willo The Wisp.

Biggles
11-01-2007, 04:06 PM
http://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/DVD/LF/767605_DV_L_F.jpg

Spooky.

The flying monkeys off of The Wizard Of Oz scared me shitless when I was a kid.

So did Evil Edna off of Willo The Wisp.

Singing Ringing Tree

scared the Becheebus out of me

Skweeky
11-01-2007, 07:43 PM
:blushing:

I got loads of sweets in for Halloween because it was the first time I was actually in to the kids coming round, however, no one at all came round...

I didn't realise until just now that it probably was because my curtains were closed, as they always are :(