PDA

View Full Version : Avi To Dvd

alfie100
04-17-2003, 08:52 PM
Does anyone know how i can convert a film in avi format to vob files for dvd? Any help on this would be appreciated.

accat13
04-17-2003, 09:11 PM
alfie100 Posted on 17 April 2003 - 15:52
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know how i can convert a film in avi format to vob files for dvd? Any help on this would be appreciated. conversion help dvdrhelp.com (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/convert) hate to answer this way but this beyond me I don&#39;t have a dvd burner.This is where you will find expert conversion help though. <_< <_< Oh and buy the way I see this is your first post enjoy the forum stay for awhile.Look through the FAQ. use the search options and try and help others.Most importantly WELCOME :beerchug:

Darth Sushi
04-17-2003, 09:40 PM
If you&#39;re talking about MPEG-4 back to MPEG-2 (VOB), I seriously doubt it. It&#39;s easier to just rent the DVD and rip the VOBs. Anyway, you&#39;ll likely never return to the original state of the VOB it was ripped from. The video was reduced from 29.97 to 23.976 FPS and you&#39;re never going to get back what was dropped. Audio AC3 streams on VOBs have a bitrate between 192 and 448kbit/s so any reduction is final and most MPEG-4 movies have been reduced. If you just want to play a movie on a DVD player (black box type), you can make VCD/SVCDs but it will never come close the quality of a VOB.

juderobs
04-17-2003, 09:45 PM
Dunno about DVD but to VCD is simple, if you have a good quality .avi you can directly burn it to a good quality vcd using Nero 5.5.9.0. All you need to do is uninstall all codecs and install klcodec16 - kazaalite&#39;s codec package - before you burn and it works fine, no need for encoding etc, just straight .avi to vcd

alfie100
04-17-2003, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the site. I am trying to maintain as best i can the quality of the avi master as opposed to losing as you do with an mpeg. i understand a lot of the technical issues but was hoping that someone had found a way to transfer the films for use on black box dvds without losing too much.

Jibbler
04-18-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by alfie100@17 April 2003 - 16:50
i understand a lot of the technical issues but was hoping that someone had found a way to transfer the films for use on black box dvds without losing too much.
DVDs are authored, with chapters and menus, so you could burn it to disk, but getting it to play is another thing entirely. Roxio EZ Creator 6 has a "DVD builder" but I have yet to use it. ;)

lightspeed
04-18-2003, 10:27 AM
Hia,

I thought i&#39;d make my little participation to this thread as Im working with DVD burners every days (wont say wich brand tho :). There is way to go from AVI to VOB, and the best is that it does it all for you. Check out for instance this simple one "www.sonic.com" and look for "MyDVD". It is normaly used for home video (DV) to be put them on playable DVD, but you can also just do a normal DVD just as good as the one from the shop with your Avi files, it will transcode the sound and the Video automatically, and will then implement the DVD standard.

Ulead workshop also does this i heard but i havnt check this yet.

hf :D

kazaaliteabuser
04-18-2003, 08:55 PM
I use &#39;my dvd&#39; also. I have learned that you can get more video on a dvd if you convert it to mpeg first. I guess I lose a little quality but it is hard to tell. Still looks pretty good.

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
04-20-2003, 04:12 AM
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/vcddvdr.htm <--- I followed that guide and made my first dvd from that :)