PDA

View Full Version : A question for the Americans

Gripper
11-02-2005, 09:08 PM
I tried asking this in the lounge:rolleyes: ,my little boy who is 9 has a project where he needs to collect information on another country,he choose the USA and what I would like is some info and pictures from your hometown,giving a personal view of the states.
I can get the cold facts from the net,but it would be nice to be able to add stuff you don't get on the web.
Thankyou.

hobbes
11-03-2005, 12:55 AM
I tried asking this in the lounge:rolleyes: ,my little boy who is 9 has a project where he needs to collect information on another country,he choose the USA and what I would like is some info and pictures from your hometown,giving a personal view of the states.
I can get the cold facts from the net,but it would be nice to be able to add stuff you don't get on the web.
Thankyou.

This question is really too broad.

Do you want to compare and contrast America versus yours' or what?

More specific questions might bear more fruit.

ziggyjuarez
11-03-2005, 03:17 AM
True.Its like trying to generalize asians.

Gripper
11-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Any sort of info on special food americans eat compared to england,what sort of houses,length of school days,how far you travel to work each day,how big is your house,anything that sets you apart from the rest of the world,any special things of interest in your town,like the town I live in used to be the middle of Sherwood forest,where Robin Hood was reputed to live.
Don't need to much just subtle things that differ from England

Chewie
11-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Americans don't go to the toilet to have a shit, they sit and smoke it. What they do in the loo is a 'doo-doo'. I've had a look at some; it's definitely shit.
:)
Thank you, Jimmy Jones, for such a wonderfully crap joke.

BigBank_Hank
11-03-2005, 07:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/BigBank_Hank/Boiled_crawfish.jpg
This is a special meal unique to south Louisiana called boiled crawfish.

Everyone mainly eats this during the Lenten season on Friday’s because most of the people here don’t eat meat on Friday’s.

When we have them at home its more of an excuse to have a party than anything else. Everyone usually comes over to eat, drink beer and listen to music and have a good time. A crawfish boil could never be complete without lots of beer and loud as hell music.

vidcc
11-03-2005, 08:11 PM
For day to day life I would say food. I live in what's called a "small town" yet there are about 100 restaurants. We like our food fast and the drive through is popular.
Buffet restaurants are popular as well. for around $7-10 per adult (about4-5 uk pounds) including drink (unlimited refills) one can eat all one can eat. The steaks are thick, juicy and cooked as you wish in front of you. And if you don't like the steak you just had because it was over or undercooked to your taste...no problem just leave it and go get another....and another and another. The choice of food at a buffet is wide and there is no trying to get the customer to fill up on things like bread sticks, you can eat just the expensive stuff if you wish. Mind you if you keep drinking the unlimited refills you won't get past your 7th plate.
There are so many places to dine that dining out is cheap, in fact it's often cheaper to eat out than make your own food. Ignoring the fact that some food is not as healthy as others the sheer amount of choice means that it's rare (but not impossible) to have a bad meal as any restaurant that skimps on quality will lose customers in a fierce market.

There is a reason why we have obesity problems in the USA. I don't however blame the restaurants for this rather the customers that don't know when to stop.

Edit i'll take a camera into town later if i get chance

vidcc
11-03-2005, 08:29 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/BigBank_Hank/Boiled_crawfish.jpg
This is a special meal unique to south Louisiana called boiled crawfish.

Everyone mainly eats this during the Lenten season on Friday’s because most of the people here don’t eat meat on Friday’s.

When we have them at home its more of an excuse to have a party than anything else. Everyone usually comes over to eat, drink beer and listen to music and have a good time. A crawfish boil could never be complete without lots of beer and loud as hell music.

Little known fact: during the Lenten season on Saturdays in south Louisiana the public sewer system copes with an overload in capacity equivalent to the amount of output for the whole of the rest of the year ;)

Gripper
11-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Thanks this is brilliant,Vidcc could you give me a rough idea where you're from,just the state would be great thanks

vidcc
11-03-2005, 09:57 PM
New Mexico, but will be on the move sometime in the future (no timescale)

Gripper
11-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Terrific and a special big thankyou to Rose for all her help.
BigBank-Hank that friday night party sounds great love to go to one of them,is it because of lent that you don't eat meat on fridays.
When does that finish any way?

BigBank_Hank
11-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and lasts until Easter.

It’s a very old tradition that Catholics don’t eat meat on Friday’s during Lent. Even the schools around here serve fish on Friday’s, at least that’s how it was when I went to school.

Gripper
11-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Duh I should have known that(smack's forehead),I did not realise anyone stuck to the not eating meat thing on fridays nowadays,its refreshing that some people still stick to their traditions

vidcc
11-04-2005, 02:28 AM
Some pictures.

this says a lot about how we view guns
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/552/gun8kj.jpg
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/5349/gunschool5ny.jpg

On the right is larrys discount gun store, the pink building on the left is the little lambs Christian pre-school. It would not be allowed to have a liquor store next to a pre-school or an adult book store in town but a gun shop next to a pre-school is fine :dry:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/1733/sonic8vm.jpg

this is Sonics, a drive in as opposed to a drive through. a restaurant where you pull in park up and order your food which is brought to you to eat in your car. In days gone by they would have had the waitress on roller-skates.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5249/mc8pu.jpg

One of three Mcdonalds in town, you can see the climbing frame for the kids. The building is supposed to look like a UFO :unsure:

HeavyMetalParkingLot
11-04-2005, 02:59 AM
Here's a few pics of my town:

http://www.punchdown.org/rvb/M15/picts/US_TX_Austin_20030319_B.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/tx2/austinpics/images/leslie.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/tx2/austinpics/images/srv.jpg

http://www.stlukeumcaustin.org/pastormessages/sc3_b1.jpg

http://www.mintrecs.com/tour/yvette_sxsw/Yvette_SXSW_P701.JPG

Everose
11-04-2005, 03:40 AM
I love Sonic's ice, Vid. Anywhere you go in the states, you can find the same soft, but crunchy ice at a Sonic Drive In.

BigBank_Hank
11-04-2005, 04:25 AM
Well hello there Rose.

Nice to see you around again :)

vidcc
11-04-2005, 02:36 PM
I love Sonic's ice, Vid. Anywhere you go in the states, you can find the same soft, but crunchy ice at a Sonic Drive In.
My eldest daughter likes those, she always asks if she can have one when we go into town. Takes forever to decide which flavour she wants :frusty:

Busyman
11-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Here's a few pics of my town:
What state are you in?

Busyman
11-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Some pictures.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/552/gun8kj.jpg
http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/5349/gunschool5ny.jpg

On the right is larrys discount gun store, the pink building on the left is the little lambs Christian pre-school. It would not be allowed to have a liquor store next to a pre-school or an adult book store in town but a gun shop next to a pre-school is fine :dry:
Drunks tend to hang around liquor stores. Gun buyers do not. It is also the parents choice not to put their kids in that school.

clocker
11-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Drunks tend to hang around liquor stores. Gun buyers do not. It is also the parents choice not to put their kids in that school.
Gun buyers "do not" what?
Apparently the irony of the picture has escaped you.

vidcc
11-04-2005, 03:41 PM

The request was for an insight into daily life in the USA that is different from the UK.
You appear to have missed the point completely which was about attitude to guns and yet at the same time highlighted that very attitude.

timeline of school shootings (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html)

there is no argument you can make about responsible gun ownership that can split the direct link between guns and school shootings.

I have no objection to liquor stores, adult book stores or a "bookies" to be distanced from schools for whatever reason. Mostly it has to do with morals though. And if those stores are "too adult" and children need to be shielded from them why isn't a store that sells guns?
The fact that it is a Christian school is also revealing about the USA....Guns and God often go hand in hand. I will add I don't know which opened first.

BTW.
We have just one liquor store in the town limits and I have never seen a drunk or anyone "hanging around"

BigBank_Hank
11-04-2005, 05:28 PM
Something else that we do all the time is have festivals for all kinds of events. There is always something going on somewhere this time of year.

For instance this weekend is the omelet festival. It’s a big outdoor celebration that lasts all weekend with food, music, arts and crafts, and a parade. On the last day of the festival they cook a giant omelet with 5,000 eggs and they add one more egg for every year of the festival. It has been taking place for 21 years so this year the omelet will have 5,021 eggs.

Here is a website on the history and some pictures http://www.giantomelette.org/

Busyman
11-04-2005, 05:58 PM
The request was for an insight into daily life in the USA that is different from the UK.
You appear to have missed the point completely which was about attitude to guns and yet at the same time highlighted that very attitude.

timeline of school shootings (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777958.html)

there is no argument you can make about responsible gun ownership that can split the direct link between guns and school shootings.

I have no objection to liquor stores, adult book stores or a "bookies" to be distanced from schools for whatever reason. Mostly it has to do with morals though. And if those stores are "too adult" and children need to be shielded from them why isn't a store that sells guns?
The fact that it is a Christian school is also revealing about the USA....Guns and God often go hand in hand. I will add I don't know which opened first.

BTW.
We have just one liquor store in the town limits and I have never seen a drunk or anyone "hanging around"
None of that has squat with a gun store being next to a school.

I would be more alarmed if violence would be more likely perpetrated around a gun store but not simply of it being there.

vidcc
11-04-2005, 06:48 PM

I would be more alarmed if violence would be more likely perpetrated around a gun store but not simply of it being there.

Again you highlight my point about the attitude to guns brilliantly

Busyman
11-04-2005, 08:36 PM

You as well. You simply don't like them so it's mere appearance next to a school directly correlates to school shootings.:blink:

Had you made reference to children next door being in danger, I'd have been right with you.

I also wonder who was there first.

vidcc
11-04-2005, 08:51 PM
You as well. You simply don't like them so it's mere appearance next to a school directly correlates to school shootings.:blink:
I only raised that in response to your post about drunks.

But to save you going further off target I shall put the original point again for you.

The picture is to show American attitudes towards guns and daily life. It shows that we are so comfortable with them that it's ok to have a gun store next to a school. We are so comfortable with them that even with their deadly nature they are considered less destructive to the moral fabric of our children than drink or pictures of naked women.

"the lambs to the slaughter"

Busyman
11-04-2005, 09:09 PM
I only raised that in response to your post about drunks.

But to save you going further off target I shall put the original point again for you.

The picture is to show American attitudes towards guns and daily life. It shows that we are so comfortable with them that it's ok to have a gun store next to a school. We are so comfortable with them that even with their deadly nature they are considered less destructive to the moral fabric of our children than drink or pictures of naked women.

"the lambs to the slaughter"
Excellent my original response was to this...

It would not be allowed to have a liquor store next to a pre-school or an adult book store in town but a gun shop next to a pre-school is fine

It may be because of logistics and not one's feelings.

I disagree with your last sentence as does the law of this land. :dry:

vidcc
11-04-2005, 09:13 PM

It would not be allowed to have a liquor store next to a pre-school or an adult book store in town but a gun shop next to a pre-school is fine
And?

What part of it isn't about attitudes towards guns?

explain

Busyman
11-04-2005, 09:22 PM

And?

What part of it isn't about attitudes towards guns?

explain
13 year-old boy found reading dirty mag
13 year-old boy found with loaded gun
13 year-old boy found drinking Jack Daniels

vidcc
11-04-2005, 10:54 PM
explain
Go on

Busyman
11-04-2005, 11:36 PM
Go on
Look at the law and not political soundbites from the news.

Nuff said and moving on..................

Peerzy
11-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Go on

What Busyman is trying to say is that 2 of the three would require a firm telling off, the other one would cause the child to be praised and given a free day out to go buy more ammo for his dirty mag/loaded gun/Jack Daniels and go down to the dirty mag/gun/Jack Daniels range and get to fire his dirty mag/loaded gun/Jack Daniels.

In the UK every school i have seen or been to has been located in a housing area. We do not have gun stores anyway.

The two 1997 Firearms (Amendment) Acts resulted in the prohibition of the vast majority of handguns in Great Britain. As a result of the prohibition and the surrender exercise, more than 162,000 handguns were handed in to local police forces.

Source (http://www.gun-control-network.org/GF01.htm)

America needs that^^^

America gun facts

In 2000, 75,685 people (27/100,000) suffered non-fatal firearm gunshot injuries. (SOURCE: Federal Bureau of Investigation. Uniform Crime Reports for the United States: Crime in the United States 2000: Uniform Crime Reports. Washington, D.C: U.S. Department of Justice; 2001.)

In 1999, there were 28,874 gun-related deaths in the United States - over 80 deaths every day. (Source: Hoyert DL, Arias E, Smith BL, Murphy SL, Kochanek, KD. Deaths: Final Data for 1999. National Vital Statistics Reports. 2001;49 (8).)

Busyman
11-04-2005, 11:55 PM
America needs more gun control and penalties with teeth for gun dealers, gun shows, and those with improper lock up of their weapons.

The Columbine kids were propbably able to get their parent's (or whoever's)guns rather easily.

The problem is you've one side suing gun makers which is fucking stupid or trying to outright ban them and other saying there is no problem.

No one is meeting in the middle for more rules about who gets to legally own a gun and so forth.

vidcc
11-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Go on

You have said nothing.

Busyman
11-04-2005, 11:57 PM

You have said nothing.
Mmk.

Peerzy
11-05-2005, 12:19 AM
America needs more gun control and penalties with teeth for gun dealers, gun shows, and those with improper lock up of their weapons.

The Columbine kids were propbably able to get their parent's (or whoever's)guns rather easily.

The problem is you've one side suing gun makers which is fucking stupid or trying to outright ban them and other saying there is no problem.

No one is meeting in the middle for more rules about who gets to legally own a gun and so forth.

So do you agree that America needs better gun laws?

BigBank_Hank
11-05-2005, 12:43 AM
More gun laws wouldn’t solve anything. What needs to happen is better enforcement of the laws that are already in place that no one pays attention to. If no one pays attention to the laws that we already have in place what good would creating more laws do, nothing.

Everose
11-05-2005, 02:16 AM
[quote]The two 1997 Firearms (Amendment) Acts resulted in the prohibition of the vast majority of handguns in Great Britain. As a result of the prohibition and the surrender exercise, more than 162,000 handguns were handed in to local police forces.

Peerzy, this post drew my attention. I was unaware that it has just been since 1997 that Great Britain passed these laws. I have always wondered.........in a situation such as this.....where guns were allowed, and a prohibition passed and guns surrendered........How do you ensure you are not just getting the guns from those who used them for non aggressful means? Would those that wanted their guns for crimes turn theirs in?

Do you know how your pre 1997 gun statistics compared with ours, per capita?

Vid.....I did not know they had 'flavored' ice at Sonic!! In the heat of summer I like a little tea in it to flavor it, but mostly I love it straight!!! :D

BigBank_Hank.....I keep looking at your picture of crawfish. :blink: Do you let people come to your parties and just drink beer and dance? :D

lynx
11-05-2005, 02:46 AM
Rose, the 1997 Firearms (Amendment) Acts were brought in after the shootings in Hungerford in 1987 where 14 adults were killed by Michael Ryan, and in particular Dunblane in 1996 where 16 children and one teacher died at the hands of Thomas Hamilton.

Both men held weapons legally. However, both men were subsequently shown to be mentally unstable, and if laid down procedures had been properly followed neither would have been allowed by law to keep weapons.

The amendments to the Firearms Acts were a kneejerk reaction by the current government which has done absolutely nothing to prevent the criminal use of firearms, despite this being the main thrust of their proposed aims.

I should point out that both men would have been perfectly entitled to possess firearms in most states in the US.

Edit: prior to 1997 it was possible to possess certain firearms but was supposed to be strictly controlled by license, controlled and inspected by the local police authority. Where I live, these two people would certainly not have held weapons. A police officer who I know was just as rigorously examined as any other member of the public. Clearly, some districts were not as vigilant as they should have been.

Busyman
11-05-2005, 03:16 AM
More gun laws wouldn’t solve anything. What needs to happen is better enforcement of the laws that are already in place that no one pays attention to. If no one pays attention to the laws that we already have in place what good would creating more laws do, nothing.
Okaaayyyyy. Maybe I think we need more gun laws 'cause the ones we have aren't enforced. I've that same stuff before.

Whateverthefuck...it needs to be fixed. Actually scratch that...there needs to be oversight on every fucking gun sold here. Fuck this "no background check" crap at gun shows. I'm tire of hearing some fuck job bought a gun and wasn't supposed to be able to have one in the first place.

Parents who don't lock their shit up need mucho jail time. How the fuck does a kid accidentely shoot his brother in the neck and they both are in single digit ages.

These guns aren't even burners ffs. The school shootings weren't burners but registered guns of fucking parents not paying attention to whaterthefuck.

I don't agree with banning guns but what the fuck is the penalty for nonenforcement?

Busyman
11-05-2005, 03:18 AM
Rose, the 1997 Firearms (Amendment) Acts were brought in after the shootings in Hungerford in 1987 where 14 adults were killed by Michael Ryan, and in particular Dunblane in 1996 where 16 children and one teacher died at the hands of Thomas Hamilton.

Both men held weapons legally. However, both men were subsequently shown to be mentally unstable, and if laid down procedures had been properly followed neither would have been allowed by law to keep weapons.

The amendments to the Firearms Acts were a kneejerk reaction by the current government which has done absolutely nothing to prevent the criminal use of firearms, despite this being the main thrust of their proposed aims.

I should point out that both men would have been perfectly entitled to possess firearms in most states in the US.

Edit: prior to 1997 it was possible to possess certain firearms but was supposed to be strictly controlled by license, controlled and inspected by the local police authority. Where I live, these two people would certainly not have held weapons. A police officer who I know was just as rigorously examined as any other member of the public. Clearly, some districts were not as vigilant as they should have been.
That last sounds like Hank's "enforce the laws already on the books."

The amendments sound like Hank's unneeded laws.

Everose
11-05-2005, 03:19 AM

I should point out that both men would be perfectly entitled to possess firearms in most states in the US.

Thank you Lynx. I wasn't aware that it was these tragedies that led to these amendments.

Sad to say I have often wondered if firearms were outlawed in the states if it wouldn't be wise to hide one to protect oneself from the ones that would keep theirs to use theirs criminally. Of course, that would defeat the purpose of the law.

Mental illness can happen to anyone at anytime. And the bad thing is we don't seem to always get a good diagnosis until after there has been such a tragedy. And that is also a tragedy in itself.

After I read your edit, Lynx, I will have to say.......there have been a few law enforcement men I have known who I would just as soon didn't have access to guns. :D

Busyman
11-05-2005, 03:26 AM

I should point out that both men would be perfectly entitled to possess firearms in most states in the US.

Thank you Lynx. I wasn't aware that it was these tragedies that led to these amendments.

Sad to say I have often wondered if firearms were outlawed in the states if it wouldn't be wise to hide one to protect oneself from the ones that would keep theirs to use theirs criminally. Of course, that would defeat the purpose of the law.

Mental illness can happen to anyone at anytime. And the bad thing is we don't seem to always get a good diagnosis until after there has been such a tragedy. And that is also a tragedy in itself.
The problem is people blame guns. Mental illness hits someone else and he murders 13 at a hospital by injecting bodily harm.

If it ain't one thing, it's another.

Tbh, if guns were outlawed here, I'd have a burner or two tucked away for when and if I needed it. It'd be damn hard to practice my shooting though.:unsure: I know a number of people that had it not been for a gun, they'd be dead. One in particular, was attacked in his home by a man with a knife and was stabbed in his stomach and thigh but was able to get to his gun and shot the attacker. Ironically, the attacker didn't die but I don't remember where the attacker was shot.

Everose
11-05-2005, 03:49 AM
The problem is people blame guns. Mental illness hits someone else and he murders 13 at a hospital by injecting bodily harm.

If it ain't one thing, it's another.

Tbh, if guns were outlawed here, I'd have a burner or two tucked away for when and if I needed it. It'd be damn hard to practice my shooting though.:unsure: I know a number of people that had it not been for a gun, they'd be dead. One in particular, was attacked in his home by a man with a knife and was stabbed in his stomach and thigh but was able to get to his gun and shot the attacker. Ironically, the attacker didn't die but I don't remember where the attacker was shot.

:lol: You have hit the nail on the head about tucking away a gun, Busy. I had just wondered that if I did tuck a gun away at last minute, how would I learn to shoot it, and therefore, would it do me any good? Although I think I could figure out how to hold it and give a calm, but determined mean look at someone so they would at least think I knew my business!!!!

Well, what the hell. I will be dead before I decide whether to learn to shoot a gun or not. :D

BigBank_Hank
11-05-2005, 05:17 AM
BigBank_Hank.....I keep looking at your picture of crawfish. :blink: Do you let people come to your parties and just drink beer and dance? :D
Absolutely, but you don’t know what you’re missing.

I forgot to mention the part where you break the crawfish in half and suck the head because that’s where the most flavorful part is.

Busyman
11-05-2005, 05:30 AM
suck the head because that’s where the most flavorful part is.
:sick:

Gripper
11-05-2005, 06:00 AM
Well thanks again for the added info,my boy took his project in and got some excellent comments on the variety of stuff,its an ongoing thing so I'll print the piccys up and send him in with the pro's and con's of guns.
What are the statistics for Gunshops being robbed?
One of the main rules over here in the UK for gun ownership is you must have a gun safe,which must be fixed to a firm point,where the weapons are then kept when not being used or cleaned,so no hiding them under your pillow or anywhere little hands could get them.

Everose
11-05-2005, 06:06 AM

I forgot to mention the part where you break the crawfish in half and suck the head because that’s where the most flavorful part is.

I know they must be good, surely, because people continue to eat them. What it boils down to is I just.......well, I don't have to at this point so I won't.:D Do you have Rocky Mountain Oysters down there? I won't eat them either. ;)

Gripper, I cannot answer your questions,, but I am sure someone knows those rules. I do know responsible gun owners keep their guns unloaded and locked up in a cabinet. I have never been in a gun shop, not sure there is one like Vid showed a picture of in my area.

Gripper
11-05-2005, 06:12 AM

The crawfish are cooked,so I imagine they're like big prawns?
I'd love to try them,sounds great.

Busyman
11-05-2005, 01:34 PM
One of the main rules over here in the UK for gun ownership is you must have a gun safe,which must be fixed to a firm point,where the weapons are then kept when not being used or cleaned,so no hiding them under your pillow or anywhere little hands could get them.
See, we don't have that here. I do think you'll get in trouble though if your 4 year-old shoots herself but there's no law mandating "fixed to a firm point". (if there is, as Hank says, there's no enforcement)

Mine are well hidden and have gun locks on all of them. A person would be hard pressed to find them and if they do, they can't use it.

If kids get their hands on a parents gun because of negligence of the parent, the parent should be open to criminal and civil law consequences.

Gripper
11-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Thats good,what is a "gun lock".
I know people Knock you for having "x" amount of guns,but if the laws here,were the same as in the states,then I would own a gun,maybe several.
I have had some of the best training in the world,but even the best trained have "accidents",seeing with your own eyes the results of a shooting is enough to make any sane human think twice.

orcutt989
11-05-2005, 05:23 PM
I think it might be a good idea to mention that there is a very heavy Spanish/Mexican/Latino influence throughout the US, even in the east, since Latinos are the largest minority. There are many spanish words used in American English that everyone commonly understands, but are really Spanish words.

Gripper
11-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Thats good orcutt,do you mean things like, mi casa su casa,hasta la vista,gracias.
Could you do me some translations ?
I think mi casa,su casa is my house is your house
hasta la vista=???
gracias=thankyou

Busyman
11-05-2005, 07:22 PM
I think it might be a good idea to mention that there is a very heavy Spanish/Mexican/Latino influence throughout the US, even in the east, since Latinos are the largest minority. There are many spanish words used in American English that everyone commonly understands, but are really Spanish words.
I don't follow.

1. English has a lot of influences from many languages...German, French, etc. I never heard much Spanish influence though.

2. Latinos just became the largest minority a small time ago.

3. Latino influences are small because it's more closed off due to many immigrants not speaking English.

@gripper - We don't use gracias as a normal word unless perhaps speaking to a Hispanic. Hasta la vista was due to Terminator 2 and is not used normally. It's joking around like when we use the same in Italian.

Gripper
11-05-2005, 07:40 PM
De nada:)

BigBank_Hank
11-06-2005, 01:20 AM

The crawfish are cooked,so I imagine they're like big prawns?
I'd love to try them,sounds great.
When you buy the crawfish to boil they have to be alive when you boil them. It really doesn’t take all that long to boil depending on how many pounds you plan on boiling. Usually when someone asks how long does it take I usually tell him or her about a 6 pack :D We usually have a lot of people over so by the time you’re finished a 6 pack of beer its usually done.

clocker
11-06-2005, 02:38 PM
3. Latino influences are small because it's more closed off due to many immigrants not speaking English.

You need to get outside the Beltway more often.
Latin/Hispanic (are these terms interchangable?) influence is huge and growing fast.
-I just got an email from Comcast announcing a new, all-Spanish edition of their webportal...
-In the past year three check cashing businesses have opened in a five block stretch of Broadway. They all advertise money transfers to Mexico...apparently immigrants don't have access to real banks and like to send money home.

You can't drive around Denver and hear all the mariachi music blaring and conclude that "Latino influence" is small...

j2k4
11-06-2005, 03:55 PM

Latin/Hispanic (are these terms interchangable?) influence is huge and growing fast.
-I just got an email from Comcast announcing a new, all-Spanish edition of their webportal...
-In the past year three check cashing businesses have opened in a five block stretch of Broadway. They all advertise money transfers to Mexico...apparently immigrants don't have access to real banks and like to send money home.

You can't drive around Denver and hear all the mariachi music blaring and conclude that "Latino influence" is small...

Too true.

Immigration is not much in evidence where I live; I think it's a climate/distance thing.

I know precisely one Hispanic person and he is not an immigrant.

The other day I bought an installation kit for my new dishwasher (non-Hispanic, Maytag brand); that had no English instructions, only Spanish.

vidcc
11-06-2005, 04:02 PM
The other day I bought an installation kit for my new dishwasher (non-Hispanic, Maytag brand); that had no English instructions, only Spanish.
your supplier must be stocking from cheaper outside sources

j2k4
11-06-2005, 04:15 PM
your supplier must be stocking from cheaper outside sources

Menard's.

I didn't look for a C.O.O., and don't care, anyway-just thought it was curious.

Busyman
11-06-2005, 04:32 PM

Oh gawd...

Dude I was on this forum talking about the same thing (Hispanic influence on the market), so you aren't telling me something new.

We have Hispanic dominated areas like Langley Park, Spanish packages on digitial cable, certain links in restaurant chains that only have Spanish folk, blahblahblah..... Oh and that's all inside the Beltway....I made complaints about all of them learning the language ffs.

However.....with all the catering to that demographic by market forces, how many of it has jumped over culture boundaries? :ermm:

Example: Black American influence is much larger yet we are a smaller minority.

j2k4
11-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Black American influence is much larger yet we are a smaller minority.

Do you think that your greater "time-in-residence" has had anything at all to do with it?

Busyman
11-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Black American influence is much larger yet we are a smaller minority.

Do you think that your greater "time-in-residence" has had anything at all to do with it?
Absolutely. Also knowing fucking English helped out alot.

In Virginia, some are pushing for tax-payer funded day laborer centers...but I've said that before.....

Gripper
11-06-2005, 08:08 PM
I take it that would be where immigrant labourers turn up for casual work

Busyman
11-06-2005, 08:34 PM
I take it that would be where immigrant labourers turn up for casual work
Uh-huh.

JunkBarMan
11-07-2005, 04:25 AM
[

I think Black America puts up a bigger "bitch" then the Spanish/Latin Americans.

Busyman
11-07-2005, 05:15 AM
[

I think Black America puts up a bigger "bitch" then the Spanish/Latin Americans.
Explain....