PDA

View Full Version : Job Offer From Standard Charter Bank

BawA
11-07-2005, 03:17 PM
hey guys, i got this Bank offer from St. Ch. Bank and am kinda confused, i for some reason need to join and a part of me says not to join so i need advices from you guys.
1st of all ill describe the current situation...
right now am working at a bank, its a big and international bank(not much reputation tho), am having a salary of 4,000.00 AED(1,089.04 USD), another month and we get increment don't know how much but it will be something.
we don't get extra day off in week, just Friday and Thursday is half day which i don't see it to be half anyhow :lol: .
i get 2 bonus and a salary at the end of the year(2 bonus because of my work as a teller). so one more month(end of the year) and ill get around 11,000.00AED(2,994.75 USD).
am happy with my job there but not happy of my salary, well kinda of its not bad either, i have lots of my own nation people over there, my own language so the its kinda friendly weather, altho i don't like my cash manager that much.
were i work the things r not complicated like st. ch. bank, its simple and classic banking, i don't mean everything is manual, 'IT' is the big part of it.
my big Sister works over there in 'HR' department as manager secretary so she can back me up in most of cases.
last but not least i don't feel living it 'NOW', maybe am not ready to migrate.

now the confusing part...
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/4072/scb7gd.th.jpg (http://img111.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scb7gd.jpg)

you see that, the term 4 says they can kick my ass any time they want without any notice and reason, so am at big risk, it will be like leaving my job and going to some where were i don't have a guarantee of remaining.
also they have 6 month probation, i feel like a newbie again.
their giving me 1,500.00 AED(408.385 USD) extra from my current pay, so my salary will be 5,500.00 AED(1,497.41 USD), i don't think its worth of leaving a company which your working for it for like 1 year and half.
and there r some more freaking out terms in the contract.
the only positive thing they have is they got two days off.
i was stupid for not going on interview at HSBC bank, they give way better salaries and its better bank also. today iw as supposed to meet the manager but i couldn't Handel the pressure on the both side, on one side(SCB) i was almost done to join and on 2nd(HSBC) i was just beginning, so i though to leave the HSBC for now, mybe if they call me again ill give a try.

so over all am asking your advices, so far my family was supporting and i agreed with them, they say i should wait little longer for better opportunity.

Barbarossa
11-07-2005, 03:24 PM
now the confusing part...

I disagree. I find it all quite confusing. :wacko:

However, I think you'll find that is standard terms for when you are on probationary periods at any company.

What you should do now is let it be known at your current job that you have received another job offer, and see if they are prepared to offer any more to you to stay.

That worked for me a couple of times... ;)

Having had an offer from someone else gives you a certain amount of power.. :01:

Of course, they could call your bluff and tell you to fuck off, in which case you'll probably then have to take the new job... :lol:

Busyman
11-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Can your current job fire you on a whim?

Over here, if there is no union (or contract), the worker has to just GTFO, with little they can do about it.

BawA
11-07-2005, 03:29 PM
i can live with the probation but the kicking off without any reason is BS, what if they decide to cut of some employies and thier 1st of option ill be, and i have my car loan going on, where the hell ill manage to get the money.

BawA
11-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Can your current job fire you on a whim?

Over here, if there is no union (or contract), the worker has to just GTFO, with little they can do about it.
current job has contract but not the type your pointing, but they cant fire you without any reason cuz our labor office supports us specialy local peoples.

Busyman
11-07-2005, 03:32 PM
i can live with the probation but the kicking off without any reason is BS, what if they decide to cut of some employies and thier 1st of option ill be, and i have my car loan going on, where the hell ill manage to get the money.
Take the new job.

Put away the extra 500 or so dollars for a year.

Be a superstar at the new job.

Pay your car off early..maybe roll into your home mortgage to write it off.

Barbarossa
11-07-2005, 03:36 PM
How long have you been at your current job?

GepperRankins
11-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Take the new job.

Put away the extra 500 or so dollars for a year.

Be a superstar at the new job.

Pay your car off early..maybe roll into your home mortgage to write it off.
how is crashing your new car into your new house going to solve anything?

i don't know how good your prospects and stuff are over there, so how big of a risk this is. if it were me i'd stay in safe job :dabs:

BawA
11-07-2005, 03:41 PM
if i wasnt working right now i would accsept the SCB offer right away cuz i had notting to lose but right now i have what i want leaving it for few more bucks is stupidty.
other banks starts the salary for national people from 5000AED, i have 1 year experiance and thier giving me 5500, i think they got me cheap. the day i went for interview i wasnt ready so i accsepted that pay.

BawA
11-07-2005, 03:43 PM
its been 1 year and 4 months.

Busyman
11-07-2005, 03:50 PM
if i wasnt working right now i would accsept the SCB offer right away cuz i had notting to lose but right now i have what i want leaving it for few more bucks is stupidty.
other banks starts the salary for national people from 5000AED, i have 1 year experiance and thier giving me 5500, i think they got me cheap. the day i went for interview i wasnt ready so i accsepted that pay.
It's almost $500 extra a month. That ain't a few more bucks. Just stack your extra paper and you'll have an extremely nice buffer if you get riffed.

I understand about being secure though. I could have gone into management ages ago but hated the fact you could be riffed for any reason so instead I moved into one of the highest paying union jobs.

GepperRankins
11-07-2005, 03:53 PM
busy. the thing is, if he goes for this job and they sack him in a month, he's fucked

Barbarossa
11-07-2005, 04:00 PM
its been 1 year and 4 months.

I would say that isn't very long, I think you should stick with this job for another year, and see what the market is like then.

Gripper
11-07-2005, 04:06 PM
I think you should take it mate,better money,more prospects.lot of places have a clause where they can get rid of you in the first few months.
I f you don't feck about you'll be ok anyway.

BigBank_Hank
11-07-2005, 04:07 PM
busy. the thing is, if he goes for this job and they sack him in a month, he's fucked
Sometimes in life you just have to take a chance and not always take the safest bet. No risk no reward.

Barbarossa
11-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Sometimes in life you just have to take a chance and not always take the safest bet. No risk no reward.

The key word here being "sometimes"... ;)

I guess only you can decide! :ermm:

Busyman
11-07-2005, 04:18 PM
I think you should take it mate,better money,more prospects.lot of places have a clause where they can get rid of you in the first few months.
I f you don't feck about you'll be ok anyway.
:01: Exactly.

I doubt he'll be fired in a month.:ermm:

In that business he should look for other job prospects often.

I know if I lose my job here, I can go almost anywhere to work.

Always have a nice resume and be interview ready.

JPaul
11-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Did you apply for this job, or did they come to you.

Skiz
11-07-2005, 08:19 PM
In alot of states (Texas for sure) there is what's know as an "At Will" policy. Meaning that any employee can be terminated at the will of the employer. Even simpler it means just what that letter states, you can be fired for anything at anytime unless an employment contract states otherwise. Employment contracts can be individual, or as a group contract like a union would have.

I work at UPS and my employees are covered by the Teamsters Union. I cannot terminate an employee whenever I wish.

I would accept the new job but, tell them you would like to give your current job the respect of a months notice er something so you can still get the bonuses. :01:

j2k4
11-07-2005, 08:56 PM
In alot of states (Texas for sure) there is what's know as an "At Will" policy. Meaning that any employee can be terminated at the will of the employer. Even simpler it means just what that letter states, you can be fired for anything at anytime unless an employment contract states otherwise. Employment contracts can be individual, or as a group contract like a union would have.

I work at UPS and my employees are covered by the Teamsters Union. I cannot terminate an employee whenever I wish.

I would accept the new job but, tell them you would like to give your current job the respect of a months notice er something so you can still get the bonuses. :01:

I would agree, and, as Busyman says, be a superstar; kick ass and take names.

The time-servers are the ones who need union protection-if you prove your worth, you're protecting yourself.

As has also been mentioned, take care to part on good terms with your current employer; they've put money in your pocket, and a bridge is a two-way affair-not all returns are of the "hat-in-hand" variety.

Sometimes you come back as the conquering hero and reef the big corn when you do.

lynx
11-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Read point 4 again, the termination without notice thing only applies to the probation period. Even where labour laws protect employees, that's a pretty standard condition.

But it also effectively says that the probation period can be extended (or shortened, but that's unlikely) if they notify you before it finishes.

Also, note that point 6 is badly worded, you won't get a salary review until April 2007.

BawA
11-08-2005, 03:03 AM
Did you apply for this job, or did they come to you.
kinda, acctualy some agency got my number and CV and they arrenged every thing. but i didnt know moving there is that much scary, the contract is lika warning instead of welcoming.

I would accept the new job but, tell them you would like to give your current job the respect of a months notice er something so you can still get the bonuses.

thats what i thought, only 1 month is left, that also will give me some more time to give all my thoughts on it.

Read point 4 again, the termination without notice thing only applies to the probation period. Even where labour laws protect employees, that's a pretty standard condition.
as i said if somebody is jobless then the ignorance of that term would be easy cuz there is notting to lose.