PDA

View Full Version : neewsgroups question

DMack
11-09-2005, 12:05 AM
While searching through the internet for different answers to newsgroups questions I found the guide that is sticky'd in this section. Could someone here answer a few questions for me? Thanks.

I got my newsgroups hostname from my ISP and put it in GrabIt. I see all the alt.binaries lists and all but what do I do?

One of the links in that guide had a site where you had to pay for stuff. I thought that broke all the rules of filesharing?

Thanks ahead of time.

DMack
11-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Do I need to be more specific? I'm looking for help with the next step.

untraceable2
11-09-2005, 07:38 PM
I got my newsgroups hostname from my ISP and put it in GrabIt. I see all the alt.binaries lists and all but what do I do?

One of the links in that guide had a site where you had to pay for stuff. I thought that broke all the rules of filesharing?

Thanks ahead of time.
You can use the nzb's from here and import them to grabit and it will download the files for you (providing its available on your server) or you could subscribe to whatever group (i.e. alt.binaries.tv) and download all the headers and manually search for the files you want.
Depending on how good your newsgroup server is, alot of people (me included) use a paided for news-server as they have more retentsion and better completions.

hope this helps

DMack
11-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

Whenever I download an NZB from this forum, GrabIt seems to scan through all the files until they're all gone. At the bottom of the screen, the spaces keep flashing something like "Articles not found on server". Does this mean that I can't download them?

Sorry to sound like such a newbie at this. :blushing:

I'm a very computer, internet, program literate person, but this is like nothing else I've ever dealt with. Thanks for the help so far.

untraceable2
11-10-2005, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the replies guys!

Whenever I download an NZB from this forum, GrabIt seems to scan through all the files until they're all gone. At the bottom of the screen, the spaces keep flashing something like "Articles not found on server". Does this mean that I can't download them?

This means its not on your server, most isp's retension is bad 2-5 days max thats why a lot of people pay for a good news server like newshosting (between 24-35 day retension) or giganews (around 50 days retension).

Samurai
11-10-2005, 01:27 AM
Actually Newshosting's retention is around 40 days + now. I'm having no problems with older files that I've either missed, or now need.

On another note Giganews is increasing their retention to 70 days in just over a week and a half. Obviously, for those that knowor use Giganews, they charge $10 more a month than NewsHosting.

Damnatory
11-10-2005, 03:14 AM
I thought that broke all the rules of filesharing?

Nah, I just consider it paying for access to all the stuff I ever wanted... I figure I can get all the stuff I want from BT and other such programs at a very slow rate, or I can pay a little amount to MAX my bandwidth.. After you have experienced Usenet for a couple of days, you will understand completely what the value of constant speed is, over slow wavering speeds.

;)

RealitY
11-10-2005, 06:53 AM
I have cable and their usenet service is decent at about 5 days with good completetion although you tend to be concerned about missing things. I finally decided to get NewsHosting unlimited account which at $15 a month or even less on long term subscriptions is the best deal around I think. At 40 days retention I just can image ever needing anything beyond that and is plenty. Additionly NewsHosting accounts can be shared so it can even be half of that. If you decide to try NewHosting out and want to support the forum make sure to use one of the NewsHosting banners above which directs to our refferal at...
http://www.newshosting.com/?a=51500

Also Welcome To The Site
:) :)