PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Ireland should be united?

Bebi
11-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Serious talk no racism.

Samurai
11-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Well if it put a stop to all the violence, then yes.

However it's not our decision.

If Ireland & N. Ireland wanted to unite with one another it should be done by them and them alone. Perhaps voting would be the best way.

In many ways, the situation is similar to that of what happened with the Berlin Wall. If the people want to be reunited again, it'll happen eventually.

Bebi
11-10-2005, 12:02 PM
well I am from belfast and the thing I see keeping it alive is protestant marches every year which celebrates "our defeat" and want to march into main catholic areas and obviously they will get a response....

but its about 50/50 on the voting now and catholics are becoming the majority.

Samurai
11-10-2005, 12:07 PM
See this is why religion is the cause of most conflicts.

Whichever way you look at it, someone is always going to think less of the other religion, and vice versa. It only starts getting ridiculous when violence sets in, and in some cases... leads to war.

If it was up to me, I'd personally remove all religions so we could be all one happy family. This will of course never happen though, so there's always going to be conflict sadly.

ziggyjuarez
11-10-2005, 01:02 PM
America will handle the matter...

Samurai
11-10-2005, 01:21 PM

Don't think they got WMD's there I'm afraid... or oil :P

Bebi
11-10-2005, 02:07 PM
how will america sort it out when it cant even sort its own problems out....

Barbarossa
11-10-2005, 02:48 PM
but its about 50/50 on the voting now and catholics are becoming the majority.

That's 'cos they don't believe in contraception... :dry:

maebach
11-10-2005, 10:35 PM
how will america sort it out when it cant even sort its own problems out....

If you have something they want, they'll sort it out.

Barbarossa
11-11-2005, 11:57 AM
We could tell them they can run their SUVs on Guinness... :dabs:

vidcc
11-11-2005, 04:05 PM
The only people that should get a say in it are the people of N. Ireland. Eire should have no say in it nor should mainland UK.
I don't think it would have stopped the violence even if this happened back in the height of it as one side would lose and not be happy.

totalwar
11-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Should Ireland be united a big YES.

Rat Faced
11-15-2005, 09:42 PM
As always, that should be upto the people that live in Northern Ireland.

The only reason that they arent part of Eire is that the majority in those counties, at that time, wanted to stay in the UK.

When the majority wish to be part of Eire, or be independant in their own right, then i would fully support them in that too.

Self Determination.

Added the option to the ones you gave ;)

That wont be the end to the troubles though... just means that the ones that are going against the majority decision are the Loyalists rather than the Republicans.

Irelands problem, rather than UK's then though :P

Rat Faced
11-15-2005, 09:44 PM
Should Ireland be united a big YES.

Nice to see an American come out and say he doesnt believe in Self Determination, rather than post platitudes. ;)

thewizeard
11-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Don't think they got WMD's there I'm afraid... or oil :P
Oh yes they have Samurai... have you never tried Guinness? :guinesssm

Now back to unification...It will take a long time, the youth of Ireland have been traumatised...they will probably still be looking for revenge...

Barbarossa
11-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Now back to unification...It will take a long time, the youth of Ireland have been traumatised...they will probably still be looking for revenge...

So rather than unification, you're predicting what, war? :huh:

Bebi
11-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Irelands problem, rather than UK's then though :P

you's caused the problem in the first place.

j2k4
11-17-2005, 11:53 PM
I can wish Ireland was one, but I don't have a rooting interest-only a wish for peace.

Given all that's passed, why don't they make the split official and comprehensive in every way?

Then we could have the Israel or Palestine? debate on another front without even having to study, everything is so similar.:dry: