PDA

View Full Version : Never Seen That Before....

Busyman
11-13-2005, 03:45 AM
I just got back from seeing Chicken Little (nice movie) and on my way home I saw a shooting star.

Fucking amazing!!!:O

@Rip - if you read this, I hope you aren't working concession. Stay as an usher!!! Tear dem tickets!!! Work de box office!!! No concession!!

GepperRankins
11-13-2005, 03:46 AM
i think i saw one tonight too. we must love eachother or something :wub:

Formula1
11-13-2005, 04:09 AM
group sex? :blushing:

Busyman
11-13-2005, 04:22 AM
:angry: :sick: :blink:

Guyver
11-13-2005, 04:27 AM

yeh thats just what u want a gay orgy lmao

Formula1
11-13-2005, 04:35 AM
it's a living :blushing:

Vargas
11-13-2005, 04:53 AM
a co-worker saw 4 shooting stars one night last week

The Moonlit Leonids: Modest Meteor Shower Expected:
http://www.space.com/spacewatch/051111_leonids.html

Barbarossa
11-14-2005, 11:57 AM
The Perseids are usually the most rewarding meteors for me.

manker
11-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Barbie - what's that time of year when shooting stars are most prevelant? I think it may be twice around the solstices? Maybe to do with the asteroid belt.

I would Google but I know you're pretty good with these things. I ask because a year or so ago I was walking home, drunk, and happened to look up and seen literally hundreds of shooting stars over a period of a couple of hours and figured it must be this phenomena.

Barbarossa
11-14-2005, 12:27 PM
The Perseids are probably the most visible, they appear in mid-august. The next most common ones are Leonids, which appear around mid-november.

There are others, but I can't remember when they all are, I just usually keep my eyes open for the main ones above.

They're nothing to do with solstices or the asteroid belt, Astrology-boy, the meteor showers just correspond to times when the Earth passes through dust clouds on its orbit round the sun. :cleverdick:

Bonus Fact of the Day: the names of the meteor showers are derived from the part of the sky they appear to originate from, i.e. Leonids appear to come from the constellation of Leo, and Perseids appear to come from the constellation of Perseus. :swot:

manker
11-14-2005, 12:31 PM
I realised that it was nothing to do with the mechanics of the solstices, just timing coincidence, if anything at all, but I was kinda sure that I read the prevalence of meteors at a certain time of the year was to do with the earth's solar orbital trajectory taking it nearer the asteroid belt.

Maybe I made that up in my own head, tho' - like I just made up that phrase 'earth's solar orbital trajectory' :ermm:

Gripper
11-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Cool