PDA

View Full Version : Urgent advice needed please!

11-13-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm about to do a clean install of Win2KPro. I've been getting the Blue Screen of Death about 4 times a day and other problems like slow internet and render crashes etc..

I don't have a DVD writer so I'll have to back up all of my software onto CDs. The problem is, my main program is a 3.11gb ISO that I mounted on a virtual drive. Obviously I can't burn the 3.11gb ISO onto CD but can I just burn the files from the virtual drive onto CD's?

If I did that can I then do a clean install of Windows and reinstall the software using the CD's?

I know it's probably a silly question but I don't know if it's possible. Does it have to be an ISO to start with and then mounted on a virtual drive for it to install in the first place or can it be done using CD's?

All replies are appreciated :)

Samurai
11-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Firstly, real shitty title. We see about 6 "Urgent advice needed" threads every day, and people don't bother looking anymore.

Basically, you'll need to split the files up into CD's as you've already guessed. Recompile the ISO when you've reinstalled, ensuring it's done after the major apps are installed first, i.e. AV, firewall etc...

I guess it's not going to be long before you buy a DVD burner eh! :lol:

Anyway if you have another hard drive you could transfer them onto that, or similarly, make a small partition on your existing drive, say 10GB and save all your files to that drive. When reformatting, only format the main partition so you don't destroy what you want saved.

If this makes you uncomfortable, you'll have to go the CD-nic route :lol: If this is the case, I hope you've stocked up.

11-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks Samurai and yes, the thread title was pants :)

So when you say recompile the ISO, do you mean simply copying all the CD's I made of it into one folder on my Local Drive? Would this be the same as having a virtual drive?

Samurai
11-13-2005, 03:09 PM
No.

Extract the files from the ISO into 5 folders and burn them.

Recompile it back together again when you reinstall Windows. But like I said, the easiest way to back all your files up is to do it the partition way.