PDA

View Full Version : New pc £1000 budget

Kk4S-HaVoK
11-13-2005, 06:02 PM
hi all

it's been a long time since i posted here
but i need some advice on some pc components. i have been googling for a couple of weeks and i have decided on these parts i just need to know if im making a good choice and they are compatible

I plan on using this pc for Gaming, so will it run new games at top whack?

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1Mb Retail (s939)
hxxp://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=1777&cat=178&page=1

Graphics - XFX GeForce 7800GTX Ultra Extreme Edition 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI
h**p://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/7800__Series.html

HDD - SSeagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB SATA 8MB 7200RPM NCQ
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=302883&cks=SPK

Motherboard - Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-088-AS)
h**p://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/ASUS_Socket_939.html (4th one down)

Ram - Twinmos 1GB DDR400 CL2.5 Dual Channel Kit Retail ( 2 of these 2GB total)
hxxp://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=1444&cat=197&page=1

Hsf - Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower (Socket 939/754/478/775) CPU Cooler (HS-015-ZA) (top one in the list)
hxxp://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Zalman_121.html

Case - Thermaltake Soprano VB1000SWS - Silver w. Window hxxp://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=1251&cat=24&page=1

I haven't chose a Psu yet but it will be 500w minimum and contain at least 1 fan for cooling

so can you tell me if these parts are any good or am i just wasting my money or can you think of a better configuration for about £1050 (uk) for gaming No monitor,soundcard,dvdrom\rw needed

Thanx for any advice its greatly appreciated

k.

clocker
11-14-2005, 12:15 PM
If you want two gigs of RAM, use 2x1GB sticks.
Many NF4 boards won't run four 512's at 1T timing.

Looks like a nice machine.

lynx
11-14-2005, 03:14 PM
You can get better prices than some of those.

Try Dabs (http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3K61&CategorySelectedId=11154&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11154,40132,4294960493,40868,50410) for the disk drive, for instance.

However, don't split the purchases over too many sites otherwise you lose out on the shipping charges.

I know you've looked at some stuff from overclockers, but are you actually planning to overclock this? If not, the cooler that comes with the retail cpu should be more than sufficient, and will even allow for moderate overclocking. You can always add a different cooler later if it proves insufficient for your needs.

I agree with clocker about the memory, 2x1GB is better than 4x512MB. One other point you should be aware of, many manufacturers will only guarantee half a cycle down on memory timings when used on Amd boards, so memory quoted at cl2.5 often becomes cl3 for instance. Corsair are one of the first to have fixed this, if their memory says cl2 then it is cl2 on all boards.
I'm considering this (http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3Q2Q), a little more expensive that you were looking at, but the performance should be significantly better.

Other than that, it looks like a pretty good choice.

For the PSU, can I recommend you go for quality rather than just power rating, it would be sad to see your efforts wasted/blown apart with a poor PSU.

Kk4S-HaVoK
11-14-2005, 04:19 PM
hi
thanx for the replys, i'm glad i posted here i didn't wanna end up with something i couldn't use. in answer to lynx's question, i won't be overclocking it at all
and thanx for the info on the ram. i will take your advice but for ease of ordering i wondered will the ram shown below be better than my 1st choice, if i don't buy the hsf the ram will slide nicely in within my budget

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-079-CS)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Corsair_XMS.html
its the 3rd one in the list

as for the psu these brands are what i have been researching and they seem pretty reliable
Zalman, Antec, Enermax and tagan

cheers again guys i think i'm almost ready to order it now :-)
i hope it'll run mohpa at a good res my fx5500 oc just doesn't like it at all
thanx
k.

lynx
11-14-2005, 07:19 PM
AFAIK the difference between the ones I linked to and the ones you found is that the PT has a heat spreader while the PRO has a heatsink.

And the only reason I picked the PRO is because Dabs were out of stock on the PT. :rolleyes:

As for PSU, I can recommend the Akasa Paxpower 460 which is very quiet, but I believe clocker prefers the Hiper modular PSUs.

Samurai
11-14-2005, 07:38 PM
Nice rig. I recommend the Enermax, I think they have silent 620W models out, although I've seen a 660W but you wouldn't really need that much unless you were going a dual CPU which you're not. Tagen aren't bad either.

On a side note, anyone tried those PSU's from Ultra X? They're the one with modular connectors around 500W. I've been thinking about getting one when I build my next one, but don't know anyone who's tried one.

Kk4S-HaVoK
11-14-2005, 08:57 PM
ok cheers guys

i tryed looking for as similar as possible ram to the one you showed me cos it is going to save on postage. i dont yet understand the difference between pt and pro. these are all things i will learn in time

also i was looking at this hiper psu (the blue one,mainly for its look) i may pm clocker to see if it is any good,as you say i dont wanna fry my system. i had a look at a few websites and they can't seem to fault it so....
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Hiper.html

all other recomendations have been considered

so 1 last check on the psu and i'm good to go (i hope)

thanx for all you help i will let you know how it gets on

k.

Virtualbody1234
11-14-2005, 09:14 PM
... you wouldn't really need that much unless you were going a dual CPU which you're not...

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 1Mb Retail (s939)

About the PSU... I would recommend Enermax or Antec.

Samurai
11-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Missed that ;)

Still... Enermax in my book :)

silent h3ro
11-21-2005, 12:58 AM
Your PC will be AMAZING running the latest pc games. U lucky SOB! :P