PDA

View Full Version : Bookworld

MagicNakor
04-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Here's me, in my Lounge post. ;)

To discuss books, of course. You could argue that you don't need to actually have worlds for music, or movies, or software, or games. But people discuss in those worlds things related to their respective titles.

I think the question could be how could we not have a Bookworld? We're dedicated to filesharing, which is, essentially, the spread of ideas. The written form is one of the oldest forms of doing that. By simply limiting it to a can, you stop that exchange of ideas. If someone posts...American Gods...for example, there can be no discussion. No debate. No learning the views of others on how they interpret the book, which can be equally if not moreso important than reading the book itself.

How would you expect people to be able to discuss the works of their favourite authours if there is no option for doing so? How would people be exposed to new and different ideas if you don't give them the opportunity to do so? The written word is a very powerful thing. Books have the ability to change the outlook of a person. The book is engrained into our society, so much so that I bet most of the people on this board know that the answer to the meaning of life is 42. People know about Noah's Ark and the Great Flood.

Our films and computer games exist because of books. If Tolkien hadn't been an avid scholar himself, he would have never wrote The Lord of the Rings and his other works. The roleplaying world, as we know it, would likely not exist. If there was no Beowulf, there would be no Lord of the Rings. If there were no Lord of the Rings, there would be no Star Wars. If there were no written tales of heroes and gods, most of what we know about civilizations past would not exist. We know relatively little about the Olmecs, as they had no form of written language. We know scads about the Greeks, because they did have a form of written language.

I could go on. But I won't. I want to see other people's responses to this question before continuing a bit.

Are we such a backwards society that films and computer games are more important than books? I hope not.

Now, I know a lot of people are interested in having a Bookworld. And I know a number of people couldn&#39;t care less. But how about a poll on this? I mean, we had a poll about sigs. <_< I don&#39;t think that&#39;s as important as a place to discuss literature, but alas, I can&#39;t make a poll.

I can, however, beg and grovel and make a general nuisance of myself. So, thus begins the Second Crusade. ;) Us magic-crusaders never get a break.

:ninja:

soopaman
04-18-2003, 12:17 PM
I&#39;m with you MagicNakor.

There needs to be a BOOKWORLD now.

Keep up the pressure and we&#39;ll get one.

Come on MODS - get busy with the Bookworld&#33;&#33;

J'Pol
04-18-2003, 12:18 PM
I know you won&#39;t agree MN but what about a compromise option.

A MiscWorld, for everything that doesn&#39;t fit in elsewhere. e.g. Palm / CEsoftware, people displaying images they created, indeed anything they want to.

Just being my reasonable, compromising, non-dogmatic self.

Benno
04-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Im with you on this one. ;)

MagicNakor
04-18-2003, 12:21 PM
Palm/CEsoftware fits in Software world.

And I posted about images already in the same thread. I&#39;ll dig it up in a bit.

I don&#39;t see why we should have a Hardware world, which has no verifieds, and less to do with a file-sharing forum than a Bookworld, which would have verifieds, etc.

But you already knew my answer. ;)

J'Pol
04-18-2003, 12:25 PM
And would this BookWorld you speak of contain audio books pray tell.

MagicNakor
04-18-2003, 08:35 PM
It sure would&#33; :)

They&#39;re still books, even if they are an inferior form. ;)

Actually, I happen to like audio books for when I don&#39;t want to listen to music. Though I&#39;ve only got Hitchhiker&#39;s Guide, currently.

ooo
04-18-2003, 08:39 PM
as of now book world is divided in two places

one verified software >> second lounge

i say

FIRST >> FOOD WORLD
SECOND >> BOOK WORLD&#33;

whose w/ food&#33;

J'Pol
04-18-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@18 April 2003 - 21:35
It sure would&#33; :)

They&#39;re still books, even if they are an inferior form. ;)

Actually, I happen to like audio books for when I don&#39;t want to listen to music. Though I&#39;ve only got Hitchhiker&#39;s Guide, currently.

You might be interested in this. Sorry if I am stating the obvious.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/

MagicNakor
04-18-2003, 09:36 PM
I was wondering where that site disappeared to. Thanks. :)

merlin-1
04-18-2003, 11:08 PM
I&#39;ll add another vote for Bookworld&#33;

namzuf9
04-18-2003, 11:11 PM
I totally agree with the suggestion for a Bookworld. After reading Stoi&#39;s huge thread in software world I&#39;ve started to read works by some authors that I&#39;d never even heard of. Its got my support. :D

Luca_Snipes
04-18-2003, 11:13 PM
i think a bookworld would be good and interesting place to live, the two things i enjoy - music, and reading - (and i can do em both at the some time :o )

while someone mentioned a foodworld - make that a beerworld and i&#39;m in :P

Jibbler
04-19-2003, 02:20 AM
Aren&#39;t we losing focus here? These pages are here because of kazaa, not because of bookworld. I hear your voice, but I really don&#39;t see a valid need for a bookworld forum. ;)

kAb
04-19-2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Jibbler@18 April 2003 - 18:20
Aren&#39;t we losing focus here? These pages are here because of kazaa, not because of bookworld. I hear your voice, but I really don&#39;t see a valid need for a bookworld forum. ;)
ha&#33; so true.

theres a difference between books and computers.

but now you can read books ON computers... so there IS a link :shifty:

tracydani
04-19-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Jibbler@19 April 2003 - 03:20
I guess we should probably get rid of everything except the "About our website and this Forum", "Filesharing", and the Kazaa lite related section. ;)
After all, kazaa is not about sharing pirated files is it? As far as I know it is only for sharing personaly owned and created files.

This will definately cut down on the server load this forum experiances :rolleyes:

We definately could use a Bookworld :)

btw. Anyone know of any other links like the Baen free library in the other thread?

N£MO
04-19-2003, 07:20 PM
I always thought the idea of books is to read them as a book,not reading them on a computer screen. :huh:

Having said that i can see a connection and why a bookworld is being called for....

So mods or admins,instead of going against what the people here want and ask for just put it to a vote once and for all....

It would get my vote ;)

Luca_Snipes Posted on 19 April 2003 - 00:13
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i think a bookworld would be good and interesting place to live, the two things i enjoy - music, and reading - (and i can do em both at the some time&nbsp; )

while someone mentioned a foodworld - make that a beerworld and i&#39;m in&nbsp;

Now there is a man who speaks wisely.....BEERWORLD :D :D

MagicNakor
04-20-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Jibbler@19 April 2003 - 03:20
And I don&#39;t really see a need for a Hardwareworld, since these pages are here for Kazaa, and not sorting out other peoples&#39; computer problems. ;)

"The Avatar Man"
04-20-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor+20 April 2003 - 03:18--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MagicNakor @ 20 April 2003 - 03:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jibbler@19 April 2003 - 03:20
Aren&#39;t we losing focus here?&nbsp; These pages are here because of kazaa, not because of bookworld.&nbsp; I hear your voice, but I really don&#39;t see a valid need for a bookworld forum. ;)
And I don&#39;t really see a need for a Hardwareworld, since these pages are here for Kazaa, and not sorting out other peoples&#39; computer problems. ;)

:ninja: [/b][/quote]
or the lounge for that matter.(not my opinion just following the train of tought)

Bender
04-20-2003, 01:00 PM
Vote for Bookworld (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=28659). :)

MagicNakor
04-20-2003, 10:57 PM
Indeed I did. :D

jetje
04-20-2003, 11:42 PM
I like to have GIF world. For verified hashes on all moving gif&#39;s.....

No really don&#39;t think bookworld can fill a world on its own. ;)

Luca_Snipes
04-20-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by jetje@21 April 2003 - 00:42
I like to have GIF world. For verified hashes on all moving gif&#39;s.....

is that gonna have a load of your nice avatar there JetJe, maybe bigger and more colours? :P

I&#39;ve indeed cast my vote, can&#39;t wait for the result

kAb
04-21-2003, 02:24 AM
oh btw. i wouldn&#39;t be able to stand reading a book on a computer. it would be so tedious to be scrolling down etc. for some reason... i just wouldn&#39;t be able to do it :(

tracydani
04-21-2003, 08:31 AM
Personaly, I don&#39;t think I could read one on my computer either. But I have read some on my palm pilot and that seems to be ok. That is what I would look for, palm books.

It seems to be comfortable enough. But in the end, all the books I read will be purchased. I just can&#39;t always afford to spend &#036;7.00 on a paperback from an author I don&#39;t know. I love books and you just can&#39;t beat a good hardback. Even the paperbacks I have purchased are replaced by hardbacks given the chance :)

MagicNakor
04-21-2003, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately, hardbacks are too pricey. :( And some of the more obscure books don&#39;t come out in hardback.

tracydani
04-21-2003, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I usually get my hardbacks second hand. A good used hardback is better then a new paperback imo.
I am also lucky in that the local bookstore will over order less popular(and sometimes popular) books and sale them for &#036;4.95 after a while.
I just bought 5 new books for about &#036;5.00 each and they gave me a punch card for the sixth book free up to &#036;15.00. For about &#036;35.00 I got 6 brand new hardbacks :)

J'Pol
04-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by tracydani@21 April 2003 - 09:31
Personaly, I don&#39;t think I could read one on my computer either. But I have read some on my palm pilot and that seems to be ok.&nbsp; That is what I would look for, palm books.

It seems to be comfortable enough.&nbsp; But in the end, all the books I read will be purchased.&nbsp; I just can&#39;t always afford to spend &#036;7.00 on a paperback from an author I don&#39;t know.&nbsp; I love books and you just can&#39;t beat a good hardback.&nbsp; Even the paperbacks I have purchased are replaced by hardbacks given the chance :)
I totally agree. Palm is OK, Screen no use.

I carry a few books on my palm all the time. It&#39;s really convenient for those quiet moments. It&#39;s also straight forward to convert most thing so they will be readable on the Palm. MakeDoc does it and it&#39;s a free download.

RedRival
04-21-2003, 04:57 PM
While you guys are at it, how bout an Over18world?
I need something to jack off to ;) .

J/k. What&#39;s so hard to add a new section in the forums?? If there are so many people for it, and it&#39;s actually basic editing of some of the PHP, MODs, I rather see messages in bookworld than ppl grumbling about having a bookworld.

I, for one, support bookworld, although my reading activity in terms of paperbacks are kept minimal.

MagicNakor
04-21-2003, 09:48 PM
Go vote then. :) Link&#39;s in my sig.

Got_brains?
04-21-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Soul814@18 April 2003 - 13:39
as of now book world is divided in two places

one verified software >> second lounge

i say

FIRST >> FOOD WORLD
SECOND >> BOOK WORLD&#33;

whose w/ food&#33;
Thanks for your support&#33; ;) :lol:

RedRival
04-22-2003, 04:10 AM
I done voted&#33;
It&#39;s funny why people want to have a FoodWorld though. It has to have some sort of relation to Klite, like you can download ebooks, bookz of Kazaa and thus, people can haf sig2dats for this bookz in bookworld. I dun tink anyone would be enjoying pictures of food anytime soon in foodworld would dey?