PDA

View Full Version : Bittorrent Sites

stoi
04-18-2003, 03:20 PM
A lot of bittorrent sites are getting hacked at the moment, first it was donktax and not filesoup and suprnova are having probs now as well, not sure if this last one is because of a hack or not yet.

Donkax is gone for good by the looks of it, but filesoup seems to have bounced back and its better than ever, even though they havnt got a lot of torrents at the moment im sure this will change in the future.

It seems to me (could be wrong though) that the ware* community are jealous of the bittorrent idea, and they dont like it one bit, thats why there is all this hacking going on, but surely the more ppl that get the files, however they do it, the better it is for P2P in general.

anyway this isnt realy a question or even a statement, just thought i would tell everyone what was going on the best i could and why i think it is happening.

stoi

Colt Seevers
04-18-2003, 03:36 PM
I heard the creator of BT (can't remember his name, just out my bed!) was quite a renowned hacker in his day. He for one is a little bit pissed that his programe is being used for such purposes - maybe the two are connected?

Hence the reason why sites are up only for a short while before being eithier taken down for legal reasons or shut down through more extreme measures.

It's war out there!

stoi
04-18-2003, 03:48 PM
i would like to know what he wanted his program to be used for then, and filesoup actually give some of there proceeds (from ppl clicking banners) (which i never see btw :blink: ) to the creator of bittorrent and i to cant remember his name at this moment. so if he is getting money off it why does he want to hack the very site that is giving him money. doesnt make sense to me.

J'Pol
04-18-2003, 03:57 PM
Bram Cohen

Colt Seevers
04-18-2003, 05:35 PM
Thanks Jim, yes that's the chap.

It does seem odd that he would want to get sites closed down that are using his software, I'm sure I read it somewhere....but after just searching to try and find the article - I can find no trace of it...hmm :unsure:

"I must stop talking out my arse." x 10

As stoi said it does seem a bit weird, that he would go after such sites, as it would only be harming the spread of the BT client program. <_<

The ware* sites getting pissed off and attempting DoS attacks, on BT sites......sounds more likley. I have found it strange myself, as to why some BT sites just can&#39;t stay up or get knocked off very quickly....one to keep an eye on I think.

J'Pol
04-18-2003, 05:42 PM
I have to say that seems more likely too. Here&#39;s his homepage. It tells you a lot about his attitudes.

http://bitconjurer.org/

Satan
04-18-2003, 08:33 PM
Ware* wars....sounds just like Hub wars on Direct Connect...what a waste, ppl fighting over users like they own them, sheesh...

J'Pol
04-18-2003, 08:36 PM
Are there Hub Wars. I have been using DC++ for a wee while now. What&#39;s a Hub War.

MagicNakor
04-18-2003, 09:47 PM
Sounds like a geekier version of Star Wars.

I haven&#39;t seen a Hub War, either. Maybe it&#39;s just certain hubs, and not widespread?

:ninja:

Satan
04-24-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by JmiF@18 April 2003 - 20:36
Are there Hub Wars. I have been using DC++ for a wee while now. What&#39;s a Hub War.
Hmmmm...well I was once right in the middle of a hub war..in fact it might be argued that I caused it&#33;...

An OP from another hub connected, and had the frame of mind to ask if he could advertise his hub (please note that a good percentage of hubs forbid advertising)...I politely printed up the hub rules for him...he ignored them...So I flooded and banned him, which precipitated a bunch of hacking, DOSing, etc...

Hub wars are in general rare, but in the case of &#39;specialized&#39; hubs, they tend to be almost common place sometimes...I really don&#39;t get it, but I guess some ppl are really proud of their hubs, and like typical humans have no problems with stealing (users in this case)...I am of the opinion that users can go where they like, but please find the hubs on your own, as I really hate it when a user splits and I have an incomplete file in my folder :angry:

Of course that&#39;s life in it&#39;s typical fullest...you win some, you loose some...Oh well...

But to simply answer the question, a hub war is when two or more hubs actively try to shut the other down by any means, and it can be rather nasty...at the very least the lag caused by DOS attacks really sucks...in the worst, OPs and Hub Owners get hacked (I got lucky, for some reason even though I went to the other hub and laid low, they never got my correct IP addy)..In the end, it was all fairly well worked out..especially after the offending OP got completely hacked by the owner of the hub B)

scribblec
04-26-2003, 01:21 PM
seriously bit torrent is the best p2p thing at the moment
better then kazaa emule
gets everything fast
and first
and mite not be better then irc or whatever but im not smart enough to use that

im wondering what did he want to use his program for apart from p2p

junkyardking
04-08-2004, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by stoi@18 April 2003 - 15:20
A lot of bittorrent sites are getting hacked at the moment, first it was donktax and not filesoup and suprnova are having probs now as well, not sure if this last one is because of a hack or not yet.

F*cking Sharepro <_<

Turkishjade
04-10-2004, 12:54 AM
I recall it being that he created it to help share live Grateful Dead recordings. Seems like he was a Deadhead and since the Dead didn&#39;t mind their fans taping and trading their live shows (since it got them more fans) he created a way for fans to get a live recording from a show the very next day from anywhere in the world.

Seriously, I knew a chick that had something like 200 live recordings of the Dead. Organized. By City then Date. Seriously, she put little gold stickers on the ones she had been to. Shortest.Relationship.Evah. I was into Tool.

There are tons of Bittorrent sites out there that exclusively offer torrents just for Live Show recordings (audio and video) in EXTREMELY high quality (.OGG or .SHX)

If he did it, he&#39;s still a tool though.