PDA

View Full Version : Illegal File-Sharing

LilAznAccommodator
11-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Dear Readers,

I am doing a research paper and I thought that if I conducted my own Poll it would add some Support. (Research Paper is on Illegal FileSharing(Music in particular), concentrating on why it should be legalized)

So I will be conducting a Poll to see how the results turn out to be... And for those that vote I would appreciate it if you could give an explanation of your answer (Might quote you).

Well happy Voting and thank you for your support.

zapjb
11-17-2005, 08:19 AM
Just as long as it's not for profit.

Barbarossa
11-17-2005, 09:41 AM
Isn't coming to a filesharing forum to ask this question a bit like going to a vegan forum to ask who likes bacon? :dabs:

thewizeard
11-17-2005, 01:14 PM
:O No it should not... don't like illegal downloads..never done it before never will...I just share freely.... :cool:

twisterX
11-17-2005, 09:00 PM
who the hell voted no. Why are they here anyway. This forum is called FILE SHARING TALK

VivaciousAkasha
11-17-2005, 09:14 PM
What is illegal filesharing???

Sharing copyrighted material without permission from the copyright holder is illegal.

But otherwise sharing files is totally legal. I say get rid of the copyright and problem solved. :D Let the artist get paid for writing the song/movie (once), performing said song/movie (live) and merchandise themselves into oblivion. I'd buy the t shirt!

Rat Faced
11-17-2005, 10:14 PM
If i didnt illegally download, id spend a lot LESS on going to the cinema, buying CDs/DVDs

Damned if im gonna pay the type of money they want, without knowing im going to enjoy the experiance.

:snooty:

GepperRankins
11-17-2005, 10:15 PM
shouldn't be legalised. i like it the way it is :happy:

maebach
11-17-2005, 10:26 PM
I think it should be legalised because the artists get paid enough.

GepperRankins
11-17-2005, 10:41 PM
if it was legalised, the artists would get very little.

i believe prices are still way way too inflated, because up until 6 or 7 years ago people could name their prices. DVDs, CDs and games were never priced on the effort put in, the ammount of people contributed or anything like that. it was all done on a balance of what the most efficiant exclusion zone for prices (meaning the stingiest people who would pay for it) and net profit. meaning, they got the most they possibly could for products.

Busyman
11-17-2005, 11:48 PM
Hell no it shouldn't legalized.

If it gets legalized then there is little incentive for artists to make music, Hollywood to make movies, and companies to make software.

Despite what the music industry says, however, record sales are hardly hurt by illegal filesharing.

Half of the shit I have, I wouldn't have bought anyway. Artists are still going platinum and above. How I discover good music is through filesharing then I actually buy the CD if it's a GOOD ALBUM. Gone are the days of buying that CD 'cause you heard that one good song on the radio.

We are fooled no more.:01:

Aaron_T
11-23-2005, 01:14 PM
of course it should!!!

jetje
11-23-2005, 01:17 PM
no, it's more fun as long as it's illegal :)

tesco
11-23-2005, 04:19 PM
Main reason I dont buy albums is because I usually only like 1 or 2 songs on teh album, so no point in buying the whole thing when I could just get the 1 or 2 songs online that I like.

A good idea would be for record companies to start making custom mix cds. You choose the songs you want and they make your own custom cd which you pay for as if it was a normal album, but has all the songs YOU want. :)

silent h3ro
11-23-2005, 06:00 PM

If it gets legalized then there is little incentive for artists to make music, Hollywood to make movies, and companies to make software.

Despite what the music industry says, however, record sales are hardly hurt by illegal filesharing.

Half of the shit I have, I wouldn't have bought anyway. Artists are still going platinum and above. How I discover good music is through filesharing then I actually buy the CD if it's a GOOD ALBUM. Gone are the days of buying that CD 'cause you heard that one good song on the radio.

We are fooled no more.:01:I once again agree with Busyman on that. If dling becomes legalized, where do they get their money from? Plus there are always those people who don't know about P2P and buy CDs no matter what. Slightly off topic but know the band Thursday supports filesharing though. Idk why they do but regaurdless they are a good band.

tesco
11-23-2005, 10:47 PM

We are fooled no more.:01:I once again agree with Busyman on that. If dling becomes legalized, where do they get their money from? Plus there are always those people who don't know about P2P and buy CDs no matter what. Slightly off topic but know the band Thursday supports filesharing though. Idk why they do but regaurdless they are a good band.
Because they have all the money they need and are true artists? :unsure:

Damnatory
11-24-2005, 09:40 AM
I once again agree with Busyman on that. If dling becomes legalized, where do they get their money from? Plus there are always those people who don't know about P2P and buy CDs no matter what. Slightly off topic but know the band Thursday supports filesharing though. Idk why they do but regaurdless they are a good band.

I don't think that legalization is the answer... However, a drastic reduction in price is in order. Say $3 an album? Then you could tack on an extra $10 to what really matters, the concert tickets. Live music is really what it's all about anyway, interaction with the fans, the enormous pulsating crowds, all screaming for them... They lose no money this way, and I guarentee everyone would be more than willing to pay an extra couple of dollars to see a band they love, live.

These so called "artist" who complain about the extra million dollars they "may" lose out on, while they are already sitting on top of 60 million anyway, aren't really in it for the music anymore. The ones that are still out there making music, for the sake of the music are the only ones that I actually pay for anymore.

S!X
12-03-2005, 08:48 PM
who the hell voted no. Why are they here anyway. This forum is called FILE SHARING TALK

LOL, I just bought the FM cd not too long ago and it was 13.74 at walmart which is a good price, but when you go to other place like HMV and whatnot they want like 20$ for a cd, thats why I usually dont buy cd's.... Unless its something I REALLY like. :blink: :unsure:

GepperRankins
12-03-2005, 09:33 PM

LOL, I just bought the FM cd not too long ago and it was 13.74 at walmart which is a good price, but when you go to other place like HMV and whatnot they want like 20$ for a cd, thats why I usually dont buy cd's.... Unless its something I REALLY like. :blink: :unsure:
$20 is like the cheapest you can get an album for over in engerland, well 20.1203818 Canadian dollars

wahzoo5
12-04-2005, 12:19 PM
All everyone has to remember is the fact that you can still purchase someone's release on a Cassette, now some of you younger folk might not know what a cassette is. but, if you were to walk into a store that offered both. Why is the CD more than the Cassette, when it's so much cheaper to manufacture and distribute than the cassette. Because the industry knows what the people desire so they take advantage. The prices should be lowered, and today's artist should have to go on tour more often, and do longer shows. It was how artist made thier money and got thier fame, before the digital era. Which would explain the serious drop off in quality of live performances by today's artist. They have NO experience. How many artist, especially in the rap industry made HIGH Quality demos on their pc, then got it mass produced and never played in front of a decent size crowd. I'm gonna date myself now, but the Kurtis Blow's, Run-DMC's, and Grandmaster Flashes put on a SHOW, today's rappers walk around the stage yelling and cussing not too much to thier shows. Also, they usually perform maybe 3 to 5 tracks then cut loose. File sharing is great, it's making today's artist work a little harder. Like they had to in the old days.

desihotchick
12-31-2005, 05:30 PM
Should be legalised in my view.

lobato777
01-15-2006, 06:22 AM
I agree.

DorisInsinuate
01-15-2006, 02:32 PM
I agree.
Yeah, all five of them get paid way too much.

suprafreak6
01-16-2006, 05:14 AM
its not the artist that makes this money its the record label, the artists make few dollars on everycd, record label takes everything else

Tempestv
02-18-2006, 03:00 AM
The RIAA likes to claim that every song I download is a $1 theft (price of a song on Itunes) but the thing is that I would not listen to as much music if it was not for p2p. I would listen to the cd's I get for chrismas and what not. with me listening to downloaded music, they are not richer or poorer than if I didn't download. How can they complain if it doesn't hurt them?

Busyman
02-18-2006, 10:39 AM
The RIAA likes to claim that every song I download is a $1 theft (price of a song on Itunes) but the thing is that I would not listen to as much music if it was not for p2p. I would listen to the cd's I get for chrismas and what not. with me listening to downloaded music, they are not richer or poorer than if I didn't download. How can they complain if it doesn't hurt them?
It does but just not on the scale they are claiming.

The fact is filesharing has exposed shit products. Only 1 good song on that album? I'm downloading it.

I do hate when people say "the artists have enough money". Many of them don't and music is a business not a charity like many think.

Listeners cannot stipulate why an artist makes his music. Personally I love the music but want the fortune.

Who would you wanna be? The fella who spreads his music over the net accepting PayPal donations or the fella on TV with the multimillion dollar contract?

GepperRankins
02-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Who would you wanna be? The fella who spreads his music over the net accepting PayPal donations or the fella on TV with the multimillion dollar contract?

paypal dude :dabs:

-------

just, like, something to think about.

i wouldn't have bought 70% of my CD collection if it wasn't for piracy 'cause i wouldn't download random shit and decide that i like it, then buy CDs by the artist. maybe the thing that pisses the RIAA off most is that i've left the realm of pop music and i listen to who i want and pay who i want :smilie4:

1337shiznit
02-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Sharing copyrighted material without permission from the copyright holder is illegal.

No shit. What we should be discussing is the moral/ethical and ecomomic reasons why copyright (and other intellectual property laws) exist in the first place.

Do you have any evidence for this? Or is it something you just take for granted.
Many artists get very little with the current system.

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html
(if you find this link questionable, then I apologize)

If dling becomes legalized, where do they get their money from?

Maybe the same way they made money before records were even invented!?!
(By playing live for those who are a bit slow.)

But I still believe that should copyright laws not exist, users would still purchase recorded music assuming:

(a)It is very convenient and easy to purchase and use.
(b)The product is fairly priced
(c)Sufficiently advanced technology is used that is ahead of what can be obtained on the rip-off market. I don't mean copy protection, I mean advanced technology - currently I would imagine that would be something equivalent to blu-ray (but smaller and more durable). Something like that would more convenient than CDs and much better quality than a lossy format like MP3.

Right now, the music (and movie etc) takes advantage of the large market inefficiencies due to the government-enforced monopoly they are granted. Perhaps once the inefficiencies are removed, they will be kept more honest - they might actually have more incentive to listen to the customers and produce a better quality product for a fairer product, eliminating the need for p2p distribution.

I know that as an artist, I much prefer the internet for distribution - I've made more money and had much more exposure than I would have with the traditional music industry route. Virtually all of the artists I know support p2p.

Those of you who say it shouldn't be legalized because you think that the artists won't make any money, should state the reasons why they still justify downloading. (Apart from the few that already have and apart from those who don't download illegally.)

manker
02-19-2006, 03:44 PM
i've left the realm of pop musicTwo years ago, Dave was mainly listening to Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys. Fact.

GepperRankins
02-19-2006, 04:49 PM
i've left the realm of pop musicTwo years ago, Dave was mainly listening to Britney Spears and the Backstreet Boys. Fact.
i've been stealing music since napster :snooty:

top25
02-19-2006, 11:41 PM

Maybe it's the RIAA/MPAA there's spys that try to get in everywhere they can not just these forums. :lookaroun ps.If the admins could see who voted no,they could you know give them the boot hehe because they blew there cover by voting.

Busyman
02-19-2006, 11:48 PM

Maybe it's the RIAA/MPAA there's spys that try to get in everywhere they can not just these forums. :lookaroun ps.If the admins could see who voted no,they could you know give them the boot hehe because they blew there cover by voting.
Click the number. It shows everyone.

Busyman
02-20-2006, 12:02 AM
No shit. What we should be discussing is the moral/ethical and ecomomic reasons why copyright (and other intellectual property laws) exist in the first place.

Do you have any evidence for this? Or is it something you just take for granted.

But I still believe that should copyright laws not exist, users would still purchase recorded music assuming:

(c)Sufficiently advanced technology is used that is ahead of what can be obtained on the rip-off market. I don't mean copy protection, I mean advanced technology - currently I would imagine that would be something equivalent to blu-ray (but smaller and more durable). Something like that would more convenient than CDs and much better quality than a lossy format like MP3.

Right now, the music (and movie etc) takes advantage of the large market inefficiencies due to the government-enforced monopoly they are granted. Perhaps once the inefficiencies are removed, they will be kept more honest - they might actually have more incentive to listen to the customers and produce a better quality product for a fairer product, eliminating the need for p2p distribution.

I know that as an artist, I much prefer the internet for distribution - I've made more money and had much more exposure than I would have with the traditional music industry route. Virtually all of the artists I know support p2p.

Those of you who say it shouldn't be legalized because you think that the artists won't make any money, should state the reasons why they still justify downloading. (Apart from the few that already have and apart from those who don't download illegally.)
So if you were offered a hefty music contract froma major label. you'd turn it down and stay with the p2p route.

Mmk.

I'd rather have the major contract.

Many artist out there that support free p2p of their music are either not popular, have made their money, or simply don't care about making money.

To say it's wrong to sell my stuff and that it's right for someone to steal it is mainly justified in the eyes of those who want to keep stealing.

I like getting free music but what I like and principle are two different things.

top25
02-20-2006, 12:36 AM
Click the number. It shows everyone.

Thanks

GepperRankins
02-20-2006, 01:13 AM

So if you were offered a hefty music contract froma major label. you'd turn it down and stay with the p2p route.

Mmk.

I'd rather have the major contract.

Many artist out there that support free p2p of their music are either not popular, have made their money, or simply don't care about making money.

To say it's wrong to sell my stuff and that it's right for someone to steal it is mainly justified in the eyes of those who want to keep stealing.

I like getting free music but what I like and principle are two different things.
:dabs:

i'd go on a label if they let me upload. that's if i was make music like mr 1337 wishes he was.

anyway, remember limp bizkit, and moby? :unsure:

horia
03-11-2006, 05:01 PM
no , I don't think that legalising them is a good thing because if we legalise sharing music who will buy cds with music?? the artists won't have enoungh money to earn a decent living
in the other hand legalising sharing of music will make only dedicated artists get CDs on the market and all the rubbish will dissepear because if u listen to the MP3 downloaded u will see that it's not wirth buying the cd ...

deuce6000
03-17-2006, 01:57 AM
I find it hard to believe that many people would say no considering most of us are probably cheap bastards :P

krapper
03-17-2006, 02:58 AM
Whatever research paper you're doing, it would be biased data to be taking polls on a mainly pro-filesharing forum.
Try it on some more neutral, and more diverse (age and region wise) areas to get more statistically accurate results. ;)

okili
04-06-2006, 10:39 PM
i think it should be legalized, but i'm not sure

delimare
04-09-2006, 02:09 PM
File sharing is my most prized hobby! If they legalized something like this, I would be bored out of my mind… :wacko:

theflystyle
04-16-2006, 09:29 PM
regardless of legal, not legal...

there will always be file sharing....

gamer4eva
05-02-2006, 06:56 PM
i think it should be legalised under two circumstances that it isnt for intention of profit and it is solely for personal use but if it does become legalised then everyone and i mean everyone will download them and the record companies lose out bigtime AHHHHH DONT KNOW WHICH SIDE TO TAKE

orcutt989
05-02-2006, 07:26 PM
shouldn't be legalised. i like it the way it is :happy:

I bet if you had a lawsuit against you, your tune would change.:happy:

sear
05-03-2006, 04:12 AM
It's tough call illegal and i run the risk of getting sued...legal and there is less incentive for anyone to make music. Legal I guess and save my ass. But it's alright the way it is anyway I don't see any government deciding copyrigt law is a total crock and abolishing it so it's propably a moot point. :)

b00red
05-03-2006, 10:21 AM
For too many years music, movies, games, software ( everything that we cant live without ) has been extreamly overpriced ... i am NOT going to pay $30 (AU) for 25 songs ! Thats why i download ... if music was at a acceptable price for people too buy id be against downloading. Some1 who has the talent has the right to live off it and sell his or her songs :dry:

jollyjack
05-03-2006, 10:30 AM
make it all legal, sorry did i say that

22ji
05-03-2006, 06:25 PM
can't say :D

rguinn
06-10-2006, 09:42 PM
RoFL. what a dumb question. and I suppose applications and movies should just be given away for free as well. THAT would go by well with programmers and movie producers. I'm sure they'd make plenty of money that way.

No, music should not be freely tradeable. if it wasn't legal, it would be available everywhere. hell, i'd host every album I have on my website. dumb question.

FreeDoom
06-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Well this is an easy question. Of course it should be legalized but the question that arises is: at what price? or what are going to be the conditions and who is going to assure them...

Stay :cool:

livewirerules
06-11-2006, 01:41 PM
nothing is illegal

evo4949
06-15-2006, 08:38 AM
must be opem minded lol

bmt134
06-15-2006, 08:27 PM
The 137 people who voted yes are idiots. Why don't we just make theft/robbery legal while we're at it?

davmag
06-26-2006, 07:02 PM
downloading a song here and there shouldn't be illegal, but to download an entire movie or cd is definitely criminal.
I'm all for filesharing, it's equivalent to the digital form of recording to a reel-to-reel or cassette tape, but with the crap that they put out now a days, I only d/l maybe one or two songs, hard to find oldies and a slew of remixes that are done underground.
I've never downloaded any movies because I believe that is different than the music. There was a lot of time and effort gone into the production of the movie, but that's only my opinion.
If they brought back the CD singles or had more of a variety of airplay on the radio stations instead of beating us to death with the same song forever, then more people would actually purchase the music. This is why James Blunt's song was banned from a U.K. station because people thought that was all he was about. He's more than that and I feel sorry for him because they don't show more of him or any other artist for that matter.
In the good old days, it was great to see a band perform their songs live (Phish and the Greatful Dead are prime examples), but it seems that more and more artists are in it for the fame and not the craft.
I applaud the girl who performed on MySpace.com because she it appears that she believed in her music and loved to do it. It's not like those buttheads from Metallica who are in it soley for the money.
Plus, the artist makes more money from their live performances anyway so we are not actually taking money from the mouths of the underprivileged.
I'll pay to see Me'Shell NdegeOcello, SoulLive, and now Pearl Jam because they don't care about the filesharing and they don't get their fairshare of airplay, but they continue to perform and they perform because they like it.
Filesharing is great and should be allowed to continue.

bone187
06-27-2006, 07:35 AM
hell ya it should be they over price everything these days!

MarkJM
06-28-2006, 05:30 PM
downloading a song here and there shouldn't be illegal, but to download an entire movie or cd is definitely criminal

I agree. Downloading a song is only "browsing".

elvenson
06-29-2006, 01:49 PM
The 137 people who voted yes are idiots. Why don't we just make theft/robbery legal while we're at it?

the only thing i see as idiotic in this thread so far is that people would pay $20 US + tax to get an album with 8 - 12 songs (15 if you are extremely lucky) considering that maybee 2 -3 songs are good and the artist just made about 30 cents to $1.50 depending on thier contract. The only time i pay for albums is when i know they will be good, i know they are not rich, or im at thier show and know that they will make more on that sale then if it was from a store. keep in mind i dont go to huge concerts at arenas. whenever i buy an album at a show its usually comming straight from the musicians hand... litterally.

as for the movies, i can justify stealing those way more than music.... the big movies are making people extremely rich and the smaller indie releases are sometimes extremely hard to find for sale. pay for them if you like the work put into making them. personally i buy almost all my movies at some point. the ones i download are mostly odd japanese, korean, russian, other international flicks.... or anime shows that i cant find in stores or cant afford to spend $100 on

Daywalk
07-01-2006, 09:33 AM
hell ya it should be they over price everything these days!

That´s the Reason why i´m filesharing.:lookaroun

spenz
07-01-2006, 10:38 AM
I hate piracy myself but I believe this piracy thing is the bad karma of the music/movie industry for years of overpricing and exploiting customers finances for there own personal satisfaction. Can you imagine a single ordinary DVD movie would cost 2-3k or more per piece and make millions of copies with them and sell them like pancakes. The nature has it's own way of turning things into balance. And this piracy is a good example why we should remind ourselves not to overdo things that might result in taking advantage with our fellow or bad karma will strike back to remind us again. just my 2 cents btw..^_^

bmt134
07-02-2006, 07:15 AM

the only thing i see as idiotic in this thread so far is that people would pay $20 US + tax to get an album with 8 - 12 songs (15 if you are extremely lucky) considering that maybee 2 -3 songs are good and the artist just made about 30 cents to $1.50 depending on thier contract. The only time i pay for albums is when i know they will be good, i know they are not rich, or im at thier show and know that they will make more on that sale then if it was from a store. keep in mind i dont go to huge concerts at arenas. whenever i buy an album at a show its usually comming straight from the musicians hand... litterally.

as for the movies, i can justify stealing those way more than music.... the big movies are making people extremely rich and the smaller indie releases are sometimes extremely hard to find for sale. pay for them if you like the work put into making them. personally i buy almost all my movies at some point. the ones i download are mostly odd japanese, korean, russian, other international flicks.... or anime shows that i cant find in stores or cant afford to spend $100 on
Cry me a river :rolleyes:

sisco9
07-02-2006, 08:40 AM
All this depends on how you define illegal ;)

serramagk
07-05-2006, 01:14 PM
I think the question was a bit broad, or at the very least the options to answer. So I didn't answer.

Do I share.. yes. Do I think a blanket lift making all sharing legal ... no. Do I support entities who are currently working to make consumer usage laws REASONABLE.. absolutely.

truetejas
07-05-2006, 05:19 PM
There is nothing wrong with getting paid for your hard work. And, IMO, there is nothing wrong with having some protections built into the legal system to protect you from having your workproduct stolen.

The problem is that that the laws have not kept pace with the technology and, moreover, have actually been strengthened to establish an absolute prohibition against any form of infringement on a virtually never-ending copyright system. And, as history has repeatedy demonstrated, an absolute prohibition of anything does not work.

Add to that the global implications of a world-wide communications system amongst different countries with different laws, and you have a perfect recipe for failure (and very fertile ground for a research paper).

Note also that P2P useage is growing, not getting smaller because of it's prohibition. A couple years ago you might see 400,000 users on the bt network; now, the average is 800,000+ (and that is just a piece of the whole scene). What percentage of that traffic is attibutible to "illegal" file sharing is an open question, but if the laws were effective the trend in usage would be reversed.

So, back to your question, "Should Illegal File-Sharing (Music) Be Legalized?", I think the answer must be yes, because:
1. It's going to happen anyway (technology)
2. The laws are ineffective (usage patterns)
3. The global nature of the puported problem (different countries = different views)
4. The legal framework is flawed (greed and sanctioned corruption)

Excuse the rant, good luck on the paper.

P.S. As mentioned previously, this is not an unbiased audience. You should post your question in a more neutral environment and see what results you get. Right now all you can say is that @80% of file sharers believe that sharing music files is OK, duh.

irascible
07-05-2006, 06:08 PM

why do you think they get paid?!? that's a very uneducated response.

__B__
07-08-2006, 01:00 PM
With legalization would come poliies and regulations and who wants that?

Pho
07-09-2006, 03:34 AM
Yes it should be legalized, artists lose VERY little money from downloads. Buying CDs supports the record company. Going to the bands concerts and buying their merchandise is what's going to give them most of their money. If it weren't for music downloads I wouldn't know very many bands.

bmt134
07-10-2006, 05:59 AM
Yes it should be legalized, artists lose VERY little money from downloads. Buying CDs supports the record company.

And record labels support the artists.

Damion Foster
07-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Alright, here's something that my dad brought up to me not too long ago...

What is the differance between downloading music off the internet, and recording music from a radio station?

You have to buy the cassette to record the radio, and you have to buy a CD in order to take the music with you and listen to it other than on the computer...It's also the same with movies and games and such to a point *shrugs*

bmt134
07-11-2006, 07:51 AM
Alright, here's something that my dad brought up to me not too long ago...

What is the differance between downloading music off the internet, and recording music from a radio station?

There is a huge difference. You essentially ripping and encoding from a vastly inferior source (FM) to a vastly inferior format (Cassette), which in the end means piss poor quality (not something I want to run through my $3000 stereo system). Hence, the incentive to buy a CD for superior quality and ease (FF/RW was a bitch).

But if I downloaded a FLAC album, I get the quality and ease of a CD. No need to buy it.

And BTW, both infringe on copyright laws.

pianistu
08-07-2006, 09:49 AM
I think that the internet sharing communities are a good place to make the artist known, so, there are benefits for artists too...

Bonzai11
08-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Well is yes and no if yes people get free music which is why they have this forum and yes theres no point in spending a couple hundred dollars renting studios for making a song if you not going to get paid for it.

limesqueezer
08-12-2006, 04:25 PM
As far as i know sharing isn't illegal and yes it is, well most of it..few examples:
u must not share illegal stuff, u can share pictures of your undies (but not without)
nobody knows for sure if this exsist:
If you are affiliated with any government, or ANTI-Piracy group or any other related group or were formally a worker of one you CANNOT (enter this web site), cannot access any of its files and you cannot view any of the (HTML files). All the objects on this site are PRIVATE property and are not meant for viewing or any other purposes other then bandwidth space. DO NOT ENTER whatsoever! If you enter this site you are not agreeing to these terms and you are violating code 431.322.12 of the Internet Privacy Act signed by Bill Clinton in 1995 and that means that you CANNOT threaten our ISP(s) or any person(s) or company storing these files, cannot prosecute any person(s) affiliated with this page which includes family, friends or individuals who run or enter this web site. By continuing to enter this site, you are expressly and impliedly agreeing to all terms as stated above.
Well u can modify this one by wish lol...haha
hmmm:
Bram Cohen(Torrent inventor) & Dan Glickman(chief executive officer of the Motion Picture Association of America(MPAA)) sure are a dream team.
I wonder what agreement is logical, when its about file sharing. But well its like with ganja. U can grow it but u can't sell it. U can share stuff but u can't share with anybody else than your wife and close friends. For me i got wifes all over the globe and i share only with friends and only legal stuff. ;P
http://www.p2pnet.net/story_images/7080.jpg
http://torrentfreak.com/images/mpaabram.jpg

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.01/images/FF_150_bittorrent1_f.jpg
http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/pics15/glickmandan.jpg

Colt Seevers
08-14-2006, 09:07 PM
It's like asking Smackheads if they would like heroin legalised.

Kinda no brainer tbh.

Chessking
08-15-2006, 12:01 AM
I don't think it should be legalized. The artest should have a larger slice of the pie.(Instead of record executives,producers,Public Relations,advertizing)

Chessking
08-15-2006, 12:04 AM
CDs are cheaper to produce than old time vinyl records. Internet downloads only cost bandwidth and server space.

cherryman69
09-13-2006, 03:25 AM
i use to be a person who would download music. What made me different however was that i would search a broad catagory like techno and would download a bunch of songs from different artists. after i found an artist i liked i would go and buy their cd. so in the end they do not lose any money. the only thing that i wonder then is what id you download a cd that you use to own? is it still bad for you to do that since you did own the music? and also i just want to point out that last time i checked it is illegal to share music not to download it.

cool skill
09-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Why are you so concerned if the artsits looses money?
I am personally concerned witht the fact that the people that do the actual labor get scrap for pay. I have to work long hours just to barely get paid anything. Artists simply doing entertainment such as music, acting, singing, dancing, and so forth should not get paid. It is not actual work.

I download everything I can, and will continue even if I could afford to pay for anything.

mediamaxz.com
09-17-2006, 04:52 AM
Artist should be happy that their loving fan are able to listen to their music anywhere at anytime.. just like radio.. I don't see problem recording radio right?

0ctane
10-13-2006, 08:17 PM
If you can share last rolo you can do it over internet .
Most thestuff i download is to see wot it is like , if it anygood i'll buy it :)

omgwirjo
10-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Yes, of course. People who downloads songs of the internet will still buy it from the stores if it's good.

MrChaos
11-04-2006, 03:48 AM
i voted no, because if it was legal then it'd be one less whiner we get to laugh at lol

Sa0siN
11-04-2006, 04:00 PM
would it be as much fun if it were legalized? i don't know. But, like 99% of the artists i listen too now, i wouldnt even buy their cd anways. they should just be happy i am listening. and the ones know and are my favorite, i buy their cd, band shirts, hoodies, etc anyways

soad2k4
11-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Legalized it should be!!!!!

fz_shurtugal
11-06-2006, 03:41 AM
Nice idea for a research report, Im going to use it myself and for once Ill have a rather persuasive argument to write about.............forget music its the psx games and official movies that they need to legalize........

ladydaisy11
11-07-2006, 02:48 PM
Post removed

imno007
11-08-2006, 03:25 PM
I think that as with a lot of things illegal, it might not be so appealing to so many people if it were legal - it would take some of the excitement from it. A lot of what people download they never use or only use it long enough to try it out briefly. Then there's all the stuff people download that they can't afford to buy or wouldn't be willing to spend the money for, so the companies aren't really losing money there either. I download a lot of audiobooks, but I wouldn't buy them because at $30 - $60 a pop, and more, I can't afford them. A lot of the music I download are CDs/tapes I owned years ago, some of them I purchased several times over the years, so I refuse to go out and buy them again - I'm probably gonna listen to them 3 or 4 times and delete them till the next nostalgia wave hits me. As for new music... well, if I download it and really think it's a great CD - not just some one-hit wonder - then there's a good chance I'll go out and buy it. If it's an artist I've been a long-term fan of, I'll definitely buy it.

RainRoofer
11-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Yes, OFC.

astarow
11-10-2006, 05:11 PM
you did not mention what do you mean by legalise ?
i think a very good ideea would be to create a service that works like kazaa / torrent / dc (not really important) and where you have to pay a small fee (i mean SMALL = 1-2$ / mo) to have access. the rest of the money can be earned by including advertising in the products (by advertising i don't mean what Daemon tools did with the last version ... a small banner is more than enough). A very good example of advertising is Crystal player. They have a roll bar that is updated when they enable another free period.

kavalchuk17
11-12-2006, 08:43 AM
i dont remember where i heard this, but artists make about half of thier money from concert ticket sales. think about it, the amount of people at concerts and performing every day or two? thats alot.

i think dling music actually increases the profit of artists because:
1. if you have no intention of buying a cd, you lose no money - $0
2. downloading music helps you discover new bands, and in turn, you go to their concert and they make more money than if they were never discovered by downloaders. i know i would never have gone to plenty of concerts ive been to if it wasnt for file sharing. and thats $ money $ for them.

ginge1980
11-13-2006, 12:41 AM
wot is a illegal??? by wot i mean is... in a way we all r doin a copyright infringement.... so in a way were all as bad as each ova.. soz jus my opinion.... i wud rather file share wiv sum1 n get a fantastic copy say superman (new movie) than av bought it frm sum bloke in a pub n get a crap copy..... :whistling

davidmark10
01-24-2007, 09:18 PM
i dont mind for a babe like you

Sickfit
01-25-2007, 12:04 AM
Yes. File sharing should be legal. In fact, the record companies should embrace it instead of trying to destroy it, because it'll only end up worse. Blanket lawsuits scared people, effectively stopping them...temporarily. They stopped using an inferior file sharing program that downloaded song by song with crappy quality, viruses, and adware. They moved on to something more efficient, something safer. So now the average Joe probably isn't on Kazaa, he's on some other file sharing program with encryption that allows full album and movie downloads with perfect quality and greater speed.

How will they make money? If the artist creates good music, the fans will support him or her. They won't go hungry, that's for sure. It's not like profits will disappear(except maybe for those that intend to excessively profit off the artists such as corrupt labels, etc.)

Without large monetary incentive there's no reason for artists to make music? That's contrary to everything I've ever known about art. Music will continue being made, and the artists won't be sent to the poorhouse.

But then again, what the heck. They can continue running the music industry the way it is and point their fingers at us and cry and sue dead people, and we'll just get better at it. Eventually the industry will have to change. Something will.

ck_psu08
01-26-2007, 03:06 AM
i love downloading music...but it shouldnt be legal...why should it be legal?
artists need to make money for their talent its just not gunna come from me...

EisDann
01-27-2007, 08:27 PM
basically if you legalize illegal downloading of music wouldn't you have to get rid of copyright laws all together, and as good as it sounds that would have bad implications in many different areas. There are no really good arguments for doing this but many people will support the idea for the selfish reason that they want free stuff, not thinking about how it would really effect the bigger picture. Without copyright laws who would publish books or release movies, if they have no way of recouping the costs.

hpp312
02-13-2007, 01:14 PM
What it is not legal

yaheard
02-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Nothing in excess.

adriand
02-18-2007, 07:24 PM
I dont feel sorry for the record companys, if they made the price more realistic they would solve most of the illegal stuff.

leg1ndyoll
02-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Isn't life a bitch, off you pop to the shops, get yourself the latest game for your system (console or PC) get it home, put it into the machine, play it only to find out it's total and utter POOH! You looked at the reviews, saw the demos and it seemed like it was going to be good, but no it was POOH! Thank god for file sharing. Download it try it if you like it go buy it. Provides money for the good developers weans out the dross developers. The same thing often goes for other types of files too, music, movies applications et al. So YES legalise P to P and weed out the lamers who are getting rich on selling dross.

Bucktoof
03-16-2007, 03:19 AM
As a lawyer friend said, it shouldn't be legalized, but decriminalized. Don't know too much about the difference, but he's a smart guy!

mym_2006
03-17-2007, 10:08 AM
you should believe in what you did

I believe

Asuran
03-17-2007, 12:39 PM
What right does anyone have to deny another from making a new instance of something with with his/her own resources?

If my neighbour builds a swing on his backyard, should he have the right to deny me from building an identical copy of it on my backyard? I think not.

There is no justification for copyright, it needs to be removed.

silent h3ro
03-18-2007, 12:14 AM
It should stay illegal.

macking
03-18-2007, 12:28 AM
I think it should stay illegal so the RIAA and MPAA can point the finger at us and say "theres the bad guy"

I got the idea from Scarface :p

jokzor
03-18-2007, 12:32 AM
it is NOT illegal, you formulated your question awfully

silent h3ro
03-18-2007, 12:43 AM
it is NOT illegal, you formulated your question awfullyHe said illegal filesharing, meaning copyrighted files which is illegal to share and download.

There's no need to be a dick when you post, btw.

kajoon
03-19-2007, 11:17 PM
i think they sould make it legal BUT the should be fair on the dime...
we want to help the artist but not to get robbed in bright daylight...

F***theRIAA
03-20-2007, 01:46 PM
i'm also writing a paper on this topic......

it's illegal b/c people are freely trading copyrighted material...

The RIAA claims that when you buy a cd you have the right to listen to it, that is all...they claim that you dont even have a right to make a backup copy for yourself; without the express written permission of the copyright holder. I believe it's absolute BULL....
but think of it as anything else, if you were a teacher and bought a text book, you couldnt copy it for everyone in the class and then pass it out to all the students, then the publishers wouldnt make any money..

In a sense its the same thing, but how are they going to stop the downloaders....sure the RIAA shut down Napster, Grokster, among others... but there are hundreds of other places to get the music, and it's impossible to stop the millions of people to do it....like terrorism, you can go after the big terrorists but more and more will be developed and its impossible to stop them all...

AugustoP
03-20-2007, 08:22 PM
RIAA just tries to make money, they twisted the meaning of copyright, protection of authors rights. Artist doesnt need that much protection, he could write good music without millions on a bank account. Making music isnt making movies, you dont need a datacenter to record an album. Hell, Nirvana recorded its first album for $600.

gogurles
05-01-2007, 04:38 PM
its file sharing talk

mduk
05-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Well if music was a small enough cost then everyone would purchase .... could it be that the Music Industry has had a Good Thing for Too Long !!! They (the Music Industry) winge that profits are going down - could that also indicate the "quality" of the performers and tracks also going down ??? ... from speaking to a mate if they charged 1p to listen to a song via the internet then people may be happy with that sort of cost model ....

bobthebuilder
05-17-2007, 03:09 PM
I don't think it should be legalised but i think people like students and those who can't afford it shouldn't be penalised because i'm sure the artists would prefer us to enjoy it free cos we can't afford to buy the full version; i will happily buy all my music back that i have downloaded when i have a full time secure job

nadeem111as
05-18-2007, 08:06 PM
it has to be legal

Cheffy
05-20-2007, 06:02 AM
Wonder how far back the person had to go to find this post......
It was started 11-17-05, 07:09 AM

So i think its settled, i dont thing the person that started the thread need more inputs for his paper. (unless he failed 2 years in a row)

haydeno
05-20-2007, 08:22 AM
i think there should be a way we can volenteer to pay $0.01-.02 for royalties to protect from legal action

bklan989
05-21-2007, 04:55 PM
How bout this
Only the original creator owner of such file is allowed to prosecute or punish a proven guilty offender of copyright laws.

IE
A 13 year old girl is "caught downloading a song". The only entitiy that could press charges is the person that actually wrote the song. Meaning an artist would have to look at a person who has expressed interest in his/her music judge them accordingly. hmmm.... how many ARTISTS would actually prosecute every offender?? Wouldn't they be satisfied that there music is reaching a whole new group of people?? Or would they chose to give a hefty fine to someone is who is now a fan of their music?

My point, we need to bring hell down on the music industry and put it back in the artist's hands. (figurativley speaking);)

haydeno
05-24-2007, 12:11 AM
How bout this
Only the original creator owner of such file is allowed to prosecute or punish a proven guilty offender of copyright laws.

IE
A 13 year old girl is "caught downloading a song". The only entitiy that could press charges is the person that actually wrote the song. Meaning an artist would have to look at a person who has expressed interest in his/her music judge them accordingly. hmmm.... how many ARTISTS would actually prosecute every offender?? Wouldn't they be satisfied that there music is reaching a whole new group of people?? Or would they chose to give a hefty fine to someone is who is now a fan of their music?

My point, we need to bring hell down on the music industry and put it back in the artist's hands. (figurativley speaking);)
Very GOOD!

Isnt piracy techically petty theft(punishable by $500 max fine) ???

mbucari1
05-24-2007, 05:57 AM
it should stay illegal...

1. deters some people and thus the artists make money
2. wouldn't be as much fun.

frob1
05-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Yes it should be legal. The amount of money that the artists make is beyond normal thinking.

ulun64
05-28-2007, 05:42 AM
Why need to legalized something that's already legal?

You are merely sharing music with "friends". You are not selling the music for money or profit.

The issue now is the loss of profit from the recording company.

bataya
05-28-2007, 10:12 PM
only for poersonal use

thewizeard
05-31-2007, 06:16 PM
As I mentioned earlier, regarding this convenient list of pirates; who are actually not doing anything illegal at all. They are just sharing data; with friends.

Dear Readers,

I am doing a research paper and I thought that if I conducted my own Poll it would add some Support. (Research Paper is on Illegal FileSharing(Music in particular), concentrating on why it should be legalized)

So I will be conducting a Poll to see how the results turn out to be... And for those that vote I would appreciate it if you could give an explanation of your answer (Might quote you).

Well happy Voting and thank you for your support.

Perhaps you could give us some feedback and lets us see your research paper... :yup:

-Ajax-
05-31-2007, 07:25 PM
No wtf? what about all the artists? They will quit and no music to download.

y7deluxe
06-01-2007, 01:22 AM
up

huqiming
06-01-2007, 09:34 PM
have to say NO.

pastry
06-01-2007, 11:07 PM
There's a fine line between trying b4 buying and outright keeping.

Why would artists continue to make music if they aren't getting properly paid for it? The existing big names could probably get away with it with endorsements and concerts, but it'd be the end to young and struggling groups who need the money to improve.

edmund
06-06-2007, 12:26 PM
I have vote no, iff they legalize it, weres the fun in the file sharing, it will lose the carisma.... i like the illigal stuf, well thats my opinion

babyface2psp
06-07-2007, 12:04 PM
dang edmund i was going to say that lol. but yeah the fun would go away.

ibnahmed
06-07-2007, 01:50 PM
i voted yes, but i think it should still be no but we are gonna download it anyway :D

SalsaMan
07-12-2007, 05:53 PM

We are fooled no more.:01:

Agreed... 100%.

I wouldn't have found even half of the artists I love now if it wasn't for file-sharing, and when I really like an album I go out and BUY it to SUPPORT the artist. That's the way it should be. End of line.

Pzero
07-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Just realised this was ancient..but yeah, probably been said, but the result is obviously biased.

thegman24
07-13-2007, 04:36 AM
It's a lesser of two evils I think, if you legalize it, it would still go on, but the danger and mystique about illegal file sharing would be gone. Thus, a lot of the culture surrounding it would change. Our parents generation bought Beatles albums and smoked dope because they knew their parents wouldn't like it. And they were right!

Now look what their kids are doing.... what will our kids do??

-TheGman

briand5379
07-15-2007, 04:19 AM
Kind of a bit ironic that people are voting against file sharing on a file sharing website.

Artists make more money off tours then they ever do from the cd's so there's still incentive to produce more content. Regardless whether it's legalized or not people will still want to buy them.

Samail
07-18-2007, 02:35 AM
Downloading music is perfectly legal around here. This is due to the extra tax on blank CDs that goes to the artists. Sounds reasonable to me.

nag13
07-23-2007, 10:24 PM
It wouldn't be fun if it were legal. :happy:

try4deepak
08-12-2007, 08:29 AM
I agree and voted for YES. Files can be shared with a understanding between the people. But, Trust and faith here, acts atmost care.

fastplumb
08-12-2007, 03:24 PM
damn them big corporations they got enough money as it is! so i vote "yes"
if all the money went to the artist then i would vote "no" I think Prince AKA symbol has the right idea, I would pay to download his music (If i liked it).

Tea20
08-13-2007, 11:03 PM
No, it's more fun as long as it's illegal :whistling

trevor2000
08-17-2007, 03:45 PM
legalised or not it's here to stay

carfre
08-18-2007, 02:58 PM
as long as it is for your own use and not for profit i see nothing wrong with this . its there for the taking why not be able to use it.

YBM
08-18-2007, 05:53 PM
I say it should be legalized, just so nobody that's just like everybody else can be arrested and have their lives ruined just because some company would want to. The basis is it isn't right, but everyone's doing it. Music people make enough and people still buy the music of beginning artists

numskee
08-23-2007, 04:58 AM
it should stay the way it is, cuz if it was legal then everyone would download their music,....i like watching people spending $15+ on a cd or dvd..........

$SnoopDo2G$
08-23-2007, 05:17 AM
it should stay the way it is, cuz if it was legal then everyone would download their music,....i like watching people spending $15+ on a cd or dvd..........

Yeah true i just realized that too, i voted yes but i should have voted no.
Because if it's legal it means no more fun, then you have
to pay taxes,(even thou we already paying taxes).

So No it should stay the way it is and even it should even go more underground.:ph34r:

rabidmule
08-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by numskee http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../synapse_kt8c/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../t-illegal-file-sharing-106510-post2222700#post2222700)

Yeah true i just realized that too, i voted yes but i should have voted no.
Because if it's legal it means no more fun, then you have
to pay taxes,(even thou we already paying taxes).

So No it should stay the way it is and even it should even go more underground.http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../images/smilies/ph34r.gif

Thats a legit explanation, didnt think of it that way. But i've read articles about how the artists should use their music (mainly albums) as promotional tools rather than a source of income. This way, their live music concerts will have a greater amount of people and more attention. I think it should be this way but of course some people dont like live music as much as I do and probably will just take free music and drive musicians broke.

fantasyx72
08-25-2007, 07:16 PM
man file sharing is Illegalize for me anyways lol

cyberqw
08-30-2007, 10:34 PM
No no no!

Blackstreet
09-10-2007, 09:10 AM
illegal makes more fun

GoLDeN
09-14-2007, 03:03 AM
of cours yes every one here is pirating this shits

Grind$oFine
09-14-2007, 03:36 AM
I think it should be legal until they decide to lower the prices on all the stuff people download illegally. It's all such a rip off.

Besides, this downloading illegally thing, I can think of numerous ways I'm saving the environment, which is far more important to me than helping celebrities afford their Hummers....

tweakz
09-21-2007, 09:56 PM
I think they should also start making sick ass cds.....not just 5 or 6 good songs on the whole album. I want all the songs to be good!

briand5379
09-22-2007, 01:56 AM
I think it's interesting that this is a file sharing forum and yet 21% of the people who voted don't think there should be legalization.

kewlio
09-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Of course it should be legal

r37theking
09-27-2007, 05:49 AM
I'm pretty sure a huge amount of people are going to say yes....

Koeckebacker
09-28-2007, 07:33 AM
illegal makes more fun

Agree, without Illegal filesharing, life would be dull.

DikTation
09-30-2007, 09:04 AM
If downloading music came legalised.. it jus wouldnt feel as good as it does now. For some strange reason

Ali-g
10-01-2007, 07:42 PM
File-sharing my dear writer is legalized... If u mean File-sharing of Copyrighted Material then it shouldnt be legalized, else the whole merchantise would go down!! Whole companies of Computer-Games, Movie-makers, etc,etc,etc. would all go down, cuz with they would have only one buyer, the others would DL the thing form there :lol:

AkaiDoresu
10-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Sharing for non-profit purpose only.

People should be able to share whatever they have as long as others do not make money out of it.

File-sharing my dear writer is legalized... If u mean File-sharing of Copyrighted Material then it shouldnt be legalized, else the whole merchantise would go down!! Whole companies of Computer-Games, Movie-makers, etc,etc,etc. would all go down, cuz with they would have only one buyer, the others would DL the thing form there :lol:

Well, does illigal/legal change anything? People would always do this no matter what the law is. Same with drugs, announcing that drugs are legal one they does not necesserily mean that everybody will bo doing drugs next day. People who usually do it will always keep on thing this no matter if its legal or illigal. People who do not download music are the ones who do not listen to music or dont know how to do it, but they are definitely not afraid of the law.

avominex
10-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Imagine this:

You have come up with a terrific idea that you have printed on a piece of paper. You are selling it for $5 per page and you have a few pages.

You are making a tidy profit because you are selling it.

However, your customers have taken copies of it and sending it over email, giving hard copies to their friends and everyone they "know and don't know". So instead of you selling 100 copies, you are selling 10 copies. Wouldn't you be pissed too?

BTW, I don't like it when you charge $50 per page instead of $5 per page. If you charge $50, then I would distribute copies too. That is why I share and borrow!! :D :w00t:

silhoutte
10-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Voted NO. Why should we miss the fun in filesharing by making the whole thing legal?

lilpiggie
11-19-2007, 12:07 AM
I voted yes, and come to think of it I could have might as well voted no, since I think it's fine to pay for the music, but I wouldn't want to download the crap-quality rip they offer with or without DRM. Take a look at this link, this "rant" is really well written!

http://www.demonbaby.com/blog/2007/10/when-pigs-fly-death-of-oink-birth-of.html

whiteyes
11-23-2007, 04:38 PM
i voted yes
i pay for good music
but i wanna dl to know which is good

Aaxel21
11-24-2007, 12:39 PM
I think it should be legalized. I believe it would force the music industrie to change. It's going to be a long and hard battle but I think it will change. Cd's are quickley becoming a thing of the past.

Era
11-25-2007, 05:35 PM
No it shouldn't, or else everyone will do it, and filesharing generally filters out the complete retards ect, and if that happens people wont be scared and the artists will actually start losing money.

Worst idea ever.

wavetingle
11-26-2007, 10:44 AM
File sharing is a boon to the world. If this was to stop, there would be chaos, and a lot of money wasted and even POLLUTION.
------ Using your car for going to the store for every damn song -> POLLUTION-----
------ Huge amount of paper, plastic in which the cds are packed -> POLLUTION----

filesharing101
11-26-2007, 05:05 PM
I think file sharing of any kind should continue to be illegal. Although musicians get paid a lot of money, they should not be robbed of record sales, because 2 million unemployed kids don't want to work for their money and spend it on music. I only share files LEGALLY, and I use docusync.com. You have to pay for their service, but atleast you can rest at night know that you won't have the men in black coats coming to your door with handcuffs.

DyNast
11-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Should stealing be legalized? \:

digmen1
11-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Although I do it, I don't think it should be legalised.

Think about it, if the artists did not make ANY money from making CD's, they would not make any ! So there would be NO NEW songs to download !

Sure artists can make money from tours and t shirts but there would be no recorded music !

I also get sick of guys coming on forums saying they d/l music illegally because the price of CD's is a rip off or that the record companies make to much of a share compared to the artists. These same people say that broadband access is too dear as well.

The fact is that people do have to make money.

I think that accountants charge too much
I think that escorts (prostitutes) charge too much
I think that lawyers charge too much
I think that beer is too dear

get the idea ?

The fact is, that if people can get something for free they will go for it. I mean hiring a DVD, or even buying a used one from a Video hire shop is not very much money.

Regards

Digby

Tarniz
11-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Yes I do. I do think that, whats today, illegal filesharing ought to be promoted. I think there is better ways in distributing music and get paid at the same time. Radiohead did a great thing when they released their album free on the Internet via their own webpage.

I do watch several concerts each month, buy merchandise and other stuff from the bands that i download and feel connected to. Recent studies has shown that for each downloaded CD the sales of CDs increase by 0.44 CD per download (source TorrentFreak). The artists gain a pretty low amount of each CD, today the big money is in merch and I hope all of you guys downloading, support bands in other ways! I download a great deal of GB music each week but still I spend over 50dollar each month on music related products.

Sharing is caring!

Music for life.

Edit. Link to the study I was talking about http://torrentfreak.com/piracy-boosts-cd-sales-071103/

suckermc
12-05-2007, 12:13 AM
This is the reason that file sharing should be legalized.

People like free shit. The internet makes it easy to get free shit. Attempts to stop people from getting free shit with the internet will fail.

Solution? Legalize getting free shit and find a way to monetize the free shit. How can this be done?

Look at the model that google has. They provide free shit yet they make billions. How? By giving people what they want - free shit - and getting someone else to pay. Thats a good model. I bet that many a person would tolerate targeted adverts for some free shit. If they use google they already do!

Aaxel21
12-06-2007, 07:15 AM
Look at the model that google has. They provide free shit yet they make billions. How? By giving people what they want - free shit - and getting someone else to pay. Thats a good model. I bet that many a person would tolerate targeted adverts for some free shit. If they use google they already do!

Good example. There are other ways to profit for an artist. Like shows, t-shirts etc. They just need to accept that their way of doing business is changing. Like the newspaper, befour the TV that use to be the only way to get the news, now I can flip on ABC for free and get the news with out paying a dime.

fnu
12-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Well, maybe not legalized. But apparently the current business method isn't working. I think we will see a solution like a subscription like Last.fm within a couple of years, and if it's good enough, people will use it on a large scale.

digmen1
12-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Well, maybe not legalized. But apparently the current business method isn't working. I think we will see a solution like a subscription like Last.fm within a couple of years, and if it's good enough, people will use it on a large scale.

People that use this forum will never use a subscription service ! If people can get things fro free they will.

I'm just getting some false teeth, if you think CD's are too dear ! try buying some false teeth.

Regards

Digby

IceTee
12-10-2007, 05:27 PM

+1 :yes:

backwoodsgreg
12-17-2007, 11:13 PM
I think all music should be shared. If you buy a cd is one thing but you shouldn't have to pay just to listen to it.

JROQuinn
12-17-2007, 11:52 PM
eh if it was legalized then people wouldnt download it as much

trusca
01-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Just as long as it's not for profit.

danio
01-10-2008, 07:49 PM
eh if it was legalized then people wouldnt download it as much

lol, speak for yourself. if you are downloading stuff just because it's illegal and it makes you feel cool or something, then so be it.. I can't say i agree with you though :P

Shno
01-10-2008, 08:58 PM
No. If it was legalized it would mean that more, even easier ways to download music would become available and the average person would have no reason to buy music whatsoever. Artists would have no reason to make music if they knew that legally nobody had to pay for it.

Diiyad
01-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Definently

shmeq
01-12-2008, 09:04 PM
kind of funny "should illegal things be made legal"...
and my answer is only if it is not for profit.

inFormal
01-12-2008, 09:10 PM
it should be legalised... or not (the artist have their rights)

.. either way.. we are still going to download it ;)

geezainthebase
01-20-2008, 08:28 PM
£40-£50 for a game is a joke, £12 for a CD is a joke, and as for apps!!

Filesharing 4EvA

sscape
01-20-2008, 09:01 PM
No.

punki_rach
01-20-2008, 09:51 PM
I voted no too

GoldStoNe
01-23-2008, 03:40 AM
I agree that filesharing per se is legal. It's like sharing food for instance. It's the material that you share that makes it illegal. If the copyright owner allows the distribution of his work, then it's legal. If not, it's illegal.

durex
02-11-2008, 01:47 AM
as long as it's not for profit ;)

Night0wl
02-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Within limits, yes

For profit, NO

I have a feeling the average musician would make more money, and it would stop the ridiculous remasters, re-releases, compilation, best of bleh etc. It would also make music on the radio/TV worth listening to again, since noone would be paying anyone to play the same song 30 times a day.

deepee
02-13-2008, 04:06 PM
laws are made to be broken, so piracy will be as good only when its illegal. lol

Night0wl
02-13-2008, 10:09 PM
I was actually talking about more as an art instead of a business, the business part of it prevents the good stuff from ever being released. Most of the time when the big labels are involved, the artist doesn't get to make the music he/she really wants to, but rather what the record companies demand, so they can cash in as much as possible.

By utilizing the Internet, the artist could produce and promote the music cheap, and then tour, sell merchandise, sell and ship CDs or Vynil (without printing 1 million copies) at a reasonable price to people that want that option, get ad revenue through the site where the music is distributed.

It wouldn't be the multi million dollar business it is today, but should it be... really?

zemitras
02-13-2008, 10:18 PM
as long as it's not for profit ;)

x2

hollowed_one
02-14-2008, 12:24 AM
it wont because of the money thing thats like makin it ok to just take food from mcdonalds you kno....no 1 would make money

gan.nez
02-15-2008, 09:42 AM
it should be legalized as long as u don't make any profit and as long as u use it for your own and not start selling your dvd's on ebay; lol;

Not Complete
02-17-2008, 12:46 AM
I voted no too

Diiyad
02-17-2008, 07:57 AM
No way, where is the motivation for the artist's then?

forever
02-23-2008, 08:15 AM
As long as you don't earn money from this, yes, it should be legal.