PDA

View Full Version : 6600GT AGP Fan

LilAznAccommodator
11-20-2005, 02:29 AM
Dear Readers,

I have had my 6600GT for quite some time now and have finally got fed up with the loud stock fan it comes with.. A lot of people recommended me to get a 'Zalman VF700-Cu' but after checking it out I realized it probably is not the best option knowing that the 6600gt is slightly smaller and so the fan grill comes out a good 33mm also it may be caused to make the VideoCard 'Unstable'. And as good as it is since I have a 'Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu LED Pure Copper Base' for my Motherboard...

So yeah I was just wondering what is a better alternative for my to replace the stock fan that came with my XFX Nvidia 6600GT (AGP), thanks.

lynx
11-20-2005, 02:52 AM
Get one from an Aopen Aeolus 6600GT card, they are nice and quiet. :dry:

It helps to investigate the noise output of a card before you buy it, rather than complain that it is too noisy afterwards.

LilAznAccommodator
11-20-2005, 03:31 AM
I did not know that it would be loud as I recieved it as a gift, so it is not like I going to complain to my friend, 'Hey this is f'ing loud take it back'. No way will I do that... So yeah...

---Edit---

Also how do you check out loud a Stock Fan on a V-Card is? I tried and had no results.

trajillo
11-20-2005, 03:32 AM
or get the silent pipe version i got ... no fan just a huge heatsink runs fine and best of all not one peep out of it :)

LilAznAccommodator
11-20-2005, 03:38 AM
@Trajillo: My friend actually mentioned that 'Silent Pipe Types' as a possibility but than contradicted that it is not that great, but I would not know since my knowledge of Hardware is pretty slim ><

silent h3ro
11-20-2005, 04:15 AM
I've got the Chaintech PCI Express version and it is really loud too. Idk what the problem is with the fan.

fkdup74
11-20-2005, 05:25 AM
or get the silent pipe version i got ... no fan just a huge heatsink runs fine and best of all not one peep out of it :)

most of the fanless heatpipe types I have seen were meant for lower clocked cards
i.e. FX5200, 9200, cards of that calibre

AC makes one for the 6600GT, but I have yet to see one locally,
maybe you'll have better luck Lil

-edit- oops, that was for the PCIe...sorry :(

but comapnies like BFG, Thermaltake, etc all make chipset/VGA cooler fans,
have a look around, try to find something with a spec of, say, under 30 dB
(hopefully closer to 20 dB)

clocker
11-20-2005, 12:05 PM
What temp does your card run now?

trajillo
11-20-2005, 12:16 PM
mines goes at like 55-60....is that good for a heat pipe or should i add a fan or something?

clocker
11-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Using a passive GPU cooler (heatpiped or not) presumes that you have excellent airflow in your case.
When aircooling I finally decided that the best setup applied fans directly to the heatsource...passive systems (like the Zalman) just introduced another layer between the GPU core and the fan (and a really cranky sink to install too, I found), so I don't like 'em.
I have seen several successful installs of stock AMD HSFs onto vid cards that seemed to work well, maybe that's an approach you could explore.

Virtualbody1234
11-20-2005, 02:45 PM
I have seen several successful installs of stock AMD HSFs onto vid cards that seemed to work well, maybe that's an approach you could explore.
Similarly, I have even used an 80mm case fan. I just used a support bracket that fit to the rear PCI slot of the case.

Similar to this:
http://www.siig.com/images/products/AC-000144.jpg
but with longer supports for the fan.

LilAznAccommodator
11-20-2005, 07:15 PM
Hmm.. Or is there a program that can manually set the rpm speed on the Fan? (Is that safe?)

clocker
11-21-2005, 12:47 AM
If the fan is plugged into the video card then no, I don't think so.

If you can plug it into the motherboard, SpeedFan can (probably) do it.

LilAznAccommodator
11-21-2005, 01:01 AM
Ok nvm it is plugged to the card itself ><