PDA

View Full Version : Why Should I Share Files?

Antallic
04-18-2003, 10:49 PM
Honestly, on KaZaA Lite, why should I share the files I download? I know it is the nice thing to do, but will something differ if I don't share any files?

Bass
04-18-2003, 11:16 PM
MAY THE LORD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!!!! :D

Luca_Snipes
04-18-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Antallic@18 April 2003 - 23:49
Honestly, on KaZaA Lite, why should I share the files I download? I know it is the nice thing to do, but will something differ if I don't share any files?
if you're not sharing then some people will stop you from downloading from them.

Also think of it this way - if everyone thougth the same way as that they would be nothing for you to download....

sharing is always good on P2P, leaching is for IRC and newservers

SLAYER
04-19-2003, 12:14 AM
yeah, cuz thats what P2P is, a community made up of a bunch of people sharing files (right? lol)

brendandonhue
04-19-2003, 12:29 AM
Hey youre right.
You can download files because thats what kazaa is for. You don't have to share them.

Attention : All K-Lite users-please stop sharing files! There is no reason to be sharing at all!

Oh wait nevermind. If you don't share, other people won't share. Then when you search for a file, no one will be sharing it. What makes you so special that you can take files that other people donated time, skills, and bandwidth into ripping and distributing, and grab the files, use them for yourself and not even share them. It doesn't take any effort for you to share files. You don't have to do anything. But the people that go pay for the DVDs, rip them, add subtitles, hash them, and put them on their FTP servers do a hella lot more work than you when you download and don't even share.
If no one shares, no one can download.

zapjb
04-19-2003, 12:52 AM
SPOS :angry:

jay973
04-19-2003, 12:59 AM
Oh no,not another newbie spouting this fuck again!

YOU BORE ME antallic!

If you dont want to share then dont,just dont come round here starting another POINTLESS thread you fuck

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Marthafocker2003
04-19-2003, 01:32 AM
One thing im gonna say is this: if youre not gonna share, dont download. The only way its acceptable not to share is if you have a 56k. its not like it causes any physical strain on you, so whats the problem? If you have broadband, you dont really have to worry about losing bandwoith, since you have som much already. i know from experience. Im a broadband user who shares unlimited bandwith to unlimited users. U could at least allow 2 or 3 person to d/l at a time. It really wouldnt be that difficult 8===D Head.

StrongislanD
04-19-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Marthafocker2003@19 April 2003 - 02:32
8===D Head.
LOL good one :lol: :lol:

SLAYER
04-19-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by jay973@19 April 2003 - 00:59
Oh no,not another newbie spouting this fuck again!

YOU BORE ME antallic!

If you dont want to share then dont,just dont come round here starting another POINTLESS thread you fuck

:angry: :angry: :angry:
dude calm down, thats the point of this forum, is for help you dumb fucking idiot

jay973
04-19-2003, 02:52 AM
I do my very best to help people but it seems like a lot of people are starting topics like this that are guaranteed to get peoples backs up.There really is no need in my opinion.
As for the name calling,I will graciously ignore it as you do not know me and therefore cannot judge.
Peace.
:)

Antallic
04-19-2003, 04:34 AM
Hey man, I didn't say anything about I not sharing files. I got the answers that I was looking for. I thought there could be a hidden punishment for non-sharing users.

Tormentor
04-19-2003, 07:05 AM
You better share cuz if everyone thaught the way u did there wouldnt be any files to download :angry:

imported_QuietSilence!
04-19-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by jay973@19 April 2003 - 03:52
I do my very best to help people but it seems like a lot of people are starting topics like this that are guaranteed to get peoples backs up.There really is no need in my opinion.
As for the name calling,I will graciously ignore it as you do not know me and therefore cannot judge.
Peace.
:)
ya they do and u fell for it hook line an sinker

it called a troll for a reasion

Toon Nut
04-20-2003, 12:19 PM
Imagine you have a file that nobody else on kazaa has. If 5 people download off you, then there are 6 versions. 5 download off each version, then there are 36 versions. Etc, etc, etc

Filesharing helps people find files quickly, anytime, anyday, with many sources.

Besides, if somebody didn't share the file to you, you wouldn't have it in the first place.

Even a 56k modem is no excuse. just limit the bandwidth for uploads to half. If people can take time out to let you download off them, then why not return the favour. I'm sure 1/2 hour - 1 hour a night wont kill you.

I have a 56k modem and I let unlimited people upload off me. Last night I must have uploaded 15 MB. The sad thing was, when I went to search for the files, I could only find 10. So instead of other people downloading the files from mulitple sources, they had to rely on my 56k modem, and my being online.

There is no excuse for not sharing. If you don't want to share, then don't download. Simple.

Fatal Error
04-20-2003, 01:36 PM
When are you people ever gonna learn? This type of Topic is here for ONE reason, and ONE reason ONLY.. its intended to be "flamebait" and shouldnt ever be replied to.

This type of post is rarely productive or constructive.. and usually escalates into a "flame war" in a very short time, that just seems to go on endlessly.

I wish the board mods or administrators would just close these things as soon as they see them. My opinion. ;)

BTW: Happy Easter everyone.

J'Pol
04-20-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Fatal Error@20 April 2003 - 14:36
When are you people ever gonna learn? This type of Topic is here for ONE reason, and ONE reason ONLY.. its intended to be "flamebait" and shouldnt ever be replied to.

This type of post is rarely productive or constructive.. and usually escalates into a "flame war" in a very short time, that just seems to go on endlessly.

I wish the board mods or administrators would just close these things as soon as they see them. My opinion. ;)

BTW: Happy Easter everyone.
I could not agree more. I've been saying it long enough.

It's happening all the time now. There must have been a good few variations on this one thing in the last few days.

You then get someone else brand new agreeing with the original post. Particularly when it starts to get a bit quiet, starting the whole thing up again.

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
04-20-2003, 02:58 PM
Check out this thread: Click HERE! (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=28213)

It's about the same topic, more or less. I didn't even want to reply to this one but... what the hey. :unsure:

ThR^
04-20-2003, 09:24 PM
you got ppl who r so stupid that they dont share !

Switeck
04-21-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Marthafocker2003@18 April 2003 - 20:32
Im a broadband user who shares unlimited bandwith to unlimited users.
Having 'unlimited' uploads going at one time is also a bad thing -- individually, they'll run at a horrid speed and disconnect all the time.

Even having 'only 10' uploads makes for very slow uploading due to the fighting over bandwidth issues. With 128kbps upload cap, which is semi-common on many low-end broadband connections, only about 100 kbps on average may actually be bytes of shared files sent to people. So that's about 10 kbps per upload (because 100 kbps / 10 uploads at once = 10 kbps). That's 1.25 KB/sec MAX upload speeds (or download speeds for those on the other end) -- I hope you're not sharing big files... it'd take over an hour to send out 5 MB mp3 files at that speed.

Leaving upload bandwidth limits set to unlimited is also bad, but not AS bad as too many uploads at once. If your connection is only rated for 128 kbps upload bandwidth, having it set to unlimited speed in Kazaa will just make uploads SLOWER due to connection overload, packet loss, and resends. Plus, your ISP may count the overloads and resends per second towards your max upload speed (further reducing the speed) and count against bandwidth limits per month, thus resulting in possibly a bigger monthly bill.

It helps to know what your connection can do, and almost all connections cannot upload as fast as their max download speed. The bandwidth is only shared in the case of a few strange connection types, but a tiny amount of upload bandwidth is needed to reply to active downloads 'send more info!'... if that (ACK) message cannot be sent due to upload connection overload, downloads can slow to a crawl despite plenty of download bandwidth being available.

jetje
04-21-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Antallic@19 April 2003 - 00:49
If everyone think this way ... well you couldn't download !!

and kazaa - p2p is stopped.......

edit...
oooh and you probably will go to hell... instead of heaven :lol:

little_drunkard
04-22-2003, 01:57 AM
It's well rude not to share, but if you is on a slow connection then i can underetand yout comlplaint...i get the feeling kazaa users forget that some or use have shite connections...all of you who have cable/T1 then remember what it was like to have modem....56K at that! so give us a break, we want to sharem but sharing means we can't download!

Switeck
04-22-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by little_drunkard@21 April 2003 - 20:57
It's well rude not to share, but if you is on a slow connection then i can underetand yout comlplaint...i get the feeling kazaa users forget that some or use have shite connections...all of you who have cable/T1 then remember what it was like to have modem....56K at that! so give us a break, we want to sharem but sharing means we can't download!
Before giving up on sharing entirely, set uploads to only 1 and upload bandwidth to 24 kilobits (that's 3 KB/sec) and less than what most v.90 56k modems have as max upload speed -- assuming even decent phone lines.

A v.92 56k modem with good/great phone lines and ISP support might have 40-48 kilobits of upload bandwidth -- almost as much as it has download bandwidth! So it might be able to handle uploading at 32 kilobits (4 KB/sec) instead of 24.

RedRival
04-22-2003, 07:42 AM
It's a matter of principles.
As the Going says: "Live and Let Live"
So "Download and Let Download"

It's true, if everyone have mindset like yours, there' won't be Kazaa, because Kazaa is all about??1...2...3, SHARING!

Knightfire
04-24-2003, 12:05 AM
My problem is the other way around. I changed to windows XP Pro from 98SE and now I cannot share. What can I do to correct this? All my files are still there but I am losing my former high rating. Where do I turn on the share feature?

:( :(