PDA

View Full Version : It Hard To Be A White Man...

HeavyMetalParkingLot
11-27-2005, 05:37 AM
It really is...

Able-bodied white men seeking a career in Canada's Department of Public Works had best wait awhile before submitting their resumes – the deputy minister of the federal agency has instructed managers to temporarily hire only visible minorities, women, aboriginals and the disabled.

David Marshall yesterday ordered that his edict banning hiring of Caucasian males be distributed throughout the agency by e-mail. The new policy, introduced in response to the department's failure to meet targeted employment-equity goals, will be in place for the next five months, at which time it will be reviewed.

Canada's federal benchmark for hiring visible minorities is one-in-five. Public Works' proportion of female, disabled, aboriginal and non-white new hires fell from one in eight in March to one in twenty in September of this year.

"As executives and managers, our role includes ensuring that the public service is representative," Marshall wrote in his memo. "This involves providing direction and leadership by example, and demonstrating a firm commitment to an inclusive workplace."

Robb Macpherson, a labor attorney with the firm McCarthy Tetrault, agrees Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms permits some discrimination to assist groups identified by the government as disadvantaged, but the form it usually takes is through programs that promote recruitment and hiring of qualified people from those groups – not by banning members of a non-minority class.

"They are in effect cutting off a significant portion of the workforce from these opportunities," Macpherson tells the National Post. "It sounds like a pretty extreme measure that they're contemplating."

Pierre Teotonio, a department spokesman, says the new policy is part of Public Works' involvement with the government's "Embracing Change" program and notes able-bodied white men can still be hired but only with written approval.

Nycole Turmel, president of the Public Service Alliance of Canada, a federal public employee union that strongly endorses employment equity, is critical of its latest variation.

"I think it's creating a possible backlash against equity groups and then it's not helping these people to get into government," says Turmel. "It's even creating more frustration or anger from the workforce as well as from the population ... I am quite sure the people they hire will be competent and good employees, but that is not the point here. They will be seen as targets, and then people will question their hiring, and I don't think it will help them."

Public Works' Teotonio, responding to concerns, says, "This measure will be in force until March 31, 2006, at which time we will re-assess our progress."

j2k4
11-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Next they'll deny male whitey the dole, and, in places like Canada, he'll be used as firewood to keep the minorities warm.

Busyman
11-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Next they'll deny male whitey the dole, and, in places like Canada, he'll be used as firewood to keep the minorities warm.
It't dat sumfin'?

Male whitey been denying rights for centuries and because everyone supposedly has rights now suddenly...he cries foul.:rolleyes:

j2k4
11-27-2005, 06:34 PM
It't dat sumfin'?

Male whitey been denying rights for centuries and because everyone supposedly has rights now suddenly...he cries foul.:rolleyes:

Quite.

You'll get to run the show for a bit, then the Muslims and Buddhists will do the same to you, or maybe they'll skip the part where you run things, depending on their patience/impatience.;)

Rat Faced
11-27-2005, 08:21 PM
You can only hire due to a "level playing field", when you first level the field... if that makes sense.

Discrimination is institutionalised, and until we have the correct mix of those doing the hiring in the minorities, then it will continue to be that way.

However, women are not, and never have been a minority in the Civil Service.. so they should also be excluded for Advancement/Promotions on the same type of platform.

They ARE a minority in higher grade jobs, so they shouldnt be excluded.

This is just showing that i understand the reasoning, not that i agree with it btw... in the last 15 years in the UK Civil Service there is only one minority that is discriminated against (at least in our Agency) White Caucasion Males that are Hetrosexual.

The Union I belong to is doing its best to ensure that this minority knows its being discriminated against too by doing the same thing... but only if they're over 27. :unsure:

Chewie
11-27-2005, 09:26 PM
You can only hire due to a "level playing field", when you first level the field... if that makes sense.

Discrimination is institutionalised, and until we have the correct mix of those doing the hiring in the minorities, then it will continue to be that way.

However, women are not, and never have been a minority in the Civil Service.. so they should also be excluded for Advancement/Promotions on the same type of platform.

They ARE a minority in higher grade jobs, so they shouldnt be excluded.

This is just showing that i understand the reasoning, not that i agree with it btw... in the last 15 years in the UK Civil Service there is only one minority that is discriminated against (at least in our Agency) White Caucasion Males that are Hetrosexual.

The Union I belong to is doing its best to ensure that this minority knows its being discriminated against too by doing the same thing... but only if they're over 27. :unsure:
I think I agree with you, RF :unsure:

The only level playing field is one that does not specify in which sector Personnel/HR recruiters shoiuld endeavour to hire from.
It's laughable that a more suitable candidate should be rejected because they are the wrong colour, white or otherwise.

Busyman
11-27-2005, 09:47 PM
It't dat sumfin'?

Quite.

You'll get to run the show for a bit, then the Muslims and Buddhists will do the same to you, or maybe they'll skip the part where you run things, depending on their patience/impatience.;)
Who's you?

j2k4
11-27-2005, 11:06 PM
Quite.

Who's you?

You=Other-than-whitey

Busyman
11-28-2005, 02:31 AM
Who's you?

You=Other-than-whitey
So other than whitey is not Muslims and Buddhists? What about white Muslims and Buddhists. Are black Muslims included?

In the US, the late 60's still had tons of overt racism.

I guess it's all gone only 35 years later......

It's been eliminated like smallpox.

j2k4
11-28-2005, 03:57 AM
You=Other-than-whitey
So other than whitey is not Muslims and Buddhists? What about white Muslims and Buddhists. Are black Muslims included?

Oh, bullshit.

Blacks were more upwardly mobile, better-educated and their success track was much faster before Civil Rights or Equal Opportunity short-circuited them.

Success is what you need, but you've let Jesse and Al talk you into eternal victimhood.

Between the two of them, they've ruined the black mind-set, probably for good.

You're doing fine-why don't you become a "black spokesman" and tell them how you did it?

Busyman
11-28-2005, 08:39 AM

Oh, bullshit.

Blacks were more upwardly mobile, better-educated and their success track was much faster before Civil Rights or Equal Opportunity short-circuited them.

Success is what you need, but you've let Jesse and Al talk you into eternal victimhood.

Between the two of them, they've ruined the black mind-set, probably for good.

You're doing fine-why don't you become a "black spokesman" and tell them how you did it?
I got a decent a job straight outta high school (1 month out) and skipped college (at the time).....not a real road map success story. I miser my money to have the finer things and don't spend frivolously and actually show others how to do the same.

Al Sharpton would probably dissect most politicians. However, he ain't my spokesman. He's just a damn good speaker. Jesse Jackson....:ermm:

Many blacks happen to be sheep just like whites. I won't afford my race anymore one-upmanship than another in that category.

Man that pesky Civil Rights got in the way. MLK and his ilk should have STFU. They fucked it up for the rest of us.

Btw, I haven't "done" anything. Me, a black spokesman?:lol: :lol:

The moment people start listening to me 'cause I actually start talking sense instead of soundbites, an "opponent" will find some bad tidbit in my past that will somehow, in this sheepish environment, turn people to the "squeeky clean" spokesman talking tons of dung.

I'm just waiting for a fella like Adrian Fenty (DC council) to either be derailed by some crap like that or he turn into the "squeeky clean" politician talking tons of dung.

Rat Faced
11-28-2005, 09:17 AM
J2,

I have never heard you spout so much bs on a subject in such a short space of time...

I can only hope your playing Devils Advocate here..

Sounds like the school mistress that claims there is no bullying problem in her school. :snooty:

Racism is institutionalised.

Its very hard to legislate against something the legislaters themselves are guilty of many times, and even the do-gooders (bless 'em) only want the outward semblance of..

I think the only way to combat it, is to remove name/religion/race from the application forms and replace with numbers... then have the interview in seperate darkened rooms with voice scramblers :P

j2k4
11-28-2005, 11:06 AM
J2,

I have never heard you spout so much bs on a subject in such a short space of time...

Sounds like the school mistress that claims there is no bullying problem in her school. :snooty:

Its very hard to legislate against something the legislaters themselves are guilty of many times, and even the do-gooders (bless 'em) only want the outward semblance of..

I think the only way to combat it, is to remove name/religion/race from the application forms and replace with numbers... then have the interview in seperate darkened rooms with voice scramblers :P

With respect, Rat, you don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about, and even less what I'm talking about.

Institutionalized?

Possibly the most useless appellation one can affix to any problem; gives the idea nothing can be fixed, and a pet word of the "anointed" experts who bitch about everything and solve nothing.

B-

I'm serious; you don't regard what you've achieved as exceptional, and maybe it's not, in the larger scheme of things, but you'd certainly do for the purposes I've stated.

Sharpton is an asshole, but he survives and flourishes in spite of having little things like the NY riot and Tawana Brawley on his resume.

Either of these things should have resulted in his eternal discredit, but they did not.

Busyman
11-28-2005, 01:55 PM
J2,

With respect, Rat, you don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about, and even less what I'm talking about.

Institutionalized?

Possibly the most useless appellation one can affix to any problem; gives the idea nothing can be fixed, and a pet word of the "anointed" experts who bitch about everything and solve nothing.

B-

I'm serious; you don't regard what you've achieved as exceptional, and maybe it's not, in the larger scheme of things, but you'd certainly do for the purposes I've stated.

Sharpton is an asshole, but he survives and flourishes in spite of having little things like the NY riot and Tawana Brawley on his resume.

Either of these things should have resulted in his eternal discredit, but they did not.
That's funny, my original post referred to Tawana Brawley but was omitted. It's funny when a person yells loudly....and is wrong.

Still though, when I've heard him speak, he made sense. That's something that's lacking even from our President. He is an asshole but there's nothing wrong with that..sometimes.

When I went to the CITE Conference in NYC he spoke at the banquet dinner. The CITE Conference is full of uppity black folk and Al came there to speak about those same people who have attained a certain status and have turned backs for material luxuries. He did in a way where he wasn't DIRECTLY talking about the folks at the banquet but...it was. It was scathing.

Jesse spoke as well 'cause Rubin "Hurricane" Carter couldn't make it.

Regardless of Al resume, I like when he's in a room full of politicians debating issues. He doesn't let them skate which is what most of America is used to.

I'm not an Al Sharpton loyalist, however. I mean I liked when Alan Keyes spoke until he started talking bullshit. If he makes sense again that'll be fine too.

I wish our government had something similar in procedure to the House Of Commons where politicians can called on their bullshit out in the open.

Btw....what have I achieved?:blink:

GepperRankins
11-28-2005, 08:29 PM
It't dat sumfin'?

that's a stupid viewpoint. i hope you're rodding.

just because someone's ancestors may possibly have been cunts, there's no excuse to penalise this generation.

competition should be sorted by work suitability only. employment equality is bullshit

MediaSlayer
11-28-2005, 11:02 PM
i have been waiting since yesterday evening for the chance to log on and share my oh-so-clever "busyman's johnson" joke with you all, and now it seems to murky and serious in here i don't think it would be appropriate :(

racism ruins everything.

j2k4
11-28-2005, 11:47 PM

You'd stack up rather well against many of the current crop of inner-city ne'er-do-wells, I think.

Despite some of your less-than-honorable inclinations as to material acquisition, it seems you've done some downright mainstream things with your life-you have a pretty good job, a family situation (never mind you should marry the lady and adopt the kid-my opinion), own a house, write (lousy) screenplays, you have a good mind, righteous self-respect, and, best of all, you hang out with me in here.

That's more than most black inner-city kids can even dream of-that you aren't involved in mentoring (especially given what is on your D.C.-doorstep) is a shame.

Unless you don't have a grad degree in ebonics, of course.:huh:

Busyman
11-28-2005, 11:57 PM
i have been waiting since yesterday evening for the chance to log on and share my oh-so-clever "busyman's johnson" joke with you all, and now it seems to murky and serious in here i don't think it would be appropriate :(

racism ruins everything.
Go fuck yoself whiteboy. Slay deez nuts on your media.

Ok, ready go!!!!....................... whiteboy bastard....

Busyman
11-29-2005, 12:22 AM

You'd stack up rather well against many of the current crop of inner-city ne'er-do-wells, I think.

Despite some of your less-than-honorable inclinations as to material acquisition, it seems you've done some downright mainstream things with your life-you have a pretty good job, a family situation (never mind you should marry the lady and adopt the kid-my opinion), own a house, write (lousy) screenplays, you have a good mind, righteous self-respect, and, best of all, you hang out with me in here.

That's more than most black inner-city kids can even dream of-that you aren't involved in mentoring (especially given what is on your D.C.-doorstep) is a shame.

The fella that came up with "ebonics" should get a foot hung up his ass.

Most of why kids (not just black kids) fuck up is 'cause of wanting to belong.

They end up doing dumb shit.

While getting off the subway last week, I saw a younger fella that I played basketball with for many years. I tried telling what was what when he gets out of school, gave hima ride home from the court when he needed it (many of them piled in my car).

It broke my heart when I told the reason he wasn't showing up anymore was because he tried to rob a Pizza Bolis near where I live.:(

When I talked to him he said that wasn't him that robbed the store but he did something else to fuck up and served 18 months in juvi. (either way he fucked up)

He put all his eggs in the "Ima get into the NBA" basket(ball), jumped from high school to high school to get on a team but didn't cut it, and lost his focus on WHAT REALLY WAS IMPORTANT so fucking up ensued.

One thing I try to get all of them to do is, if they aren't going to college, take the the test for Verizon. It's good pay, good benefits, and ALL COLLEGE IS PAYED FOR.
====

Btw, I have been with her here for a little over a year. We'll get married soon enough. Unfortunately I'm one of those "live together first" (shack up) types.

My crowning achievement is that....I hang out with you in here.:P

GepperRankins
11-29-2005, 12:34 AM

The fella that came up with "ebonics" should get a foot hung up his ass.

Most of why kids (not just black kids) fuck up is 'cause of wanting to belong.

They end up doing dumb shit.

While getting off the subway last week, I saw a younger fella that I played basketball with for many years. I tried telling what was what when he gets out of school, gave hima ride home from the court when he needed it (many of them piled in my car).

It broke my heart when I told the reason he wasn't showing up anymore was because he tried to rob a Pizza Bolis near where I live.:(

When I talked to him he said that wasn't him that robbed the store but he did something else to fuck up and served 18 months in juvi. (either way he fucked up)

He put all his eggs in the "Ima get into the NBA" basket(ball), jumped from high school to high school to get on a team but didn't cut it, and lost his focus on WHAT REALLY WAS IMPORTANT so fucking up ensued.

One thing I try to get all of them to do is, if they aren't going to college, take the the test for Verizon. It's good pay, good benefits, and ALL COLLEGE IS PAYED FOR.
====

Btw, I have been with her here for a little over a year. We'll get married soon enough. Unfortunately I'm one of those "live together first" (shack up) types.

My crowning achievement is that....I hang out with you in here.:P
i'd say having no money and no hopes has a lot to do with it. black kids being poor is a problem that's hung around since poor families immigrated or were freed from slavery. that, i believe is why it's a stereotypically inner city back thing.

over here, race doesn't really come into it. there are almost exclusively asian or white poor areas, but the poverty and lack of hope is the problem more than just wanting to fit in. i suppose with the gang culture they kind of feed each other though :dabs: