PDA

View Full Version : 7800gtx amdx2 2gbram-no games run good

Kk4S-HaVoK
11-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Hi all
bit of a read
with some guidance from here and places i built this pc but i am having major problems

Winxp pro sp2
Amd 64 x2 3800+
2gb corsair dual channel pc3200
Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
XFX GeForce 7800GTX Ultra Extreme Edition 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)
hiper 580w psu
200gb sata hdd

Now my problem is as follows, no matter what game i play the videos and the game itself are jumpy (badly). I have updated the nforce4 mobo drivers and graphics card drivers with the ones from nvidia,cpu driver and i have even tried the dual core xp patch floating around the web and my psu comes with a dedicated pci-e cable so i have plugged that in to the gfx card
but the strange thing is, is it doesn't matter what resolution i run it at and it doesn't matter if i turn all my settings up or down it stays just as choppy .

its more like a stutter. On far cry and nfs:mw it is kinda like the screen trys to catch up in one jump with the gun\car, also when i turn left or right on quake4\mohpa and even nfs:mw type games the screen slows down then catches up.
I have just run the demo of 3dmark05 and i got this which i reckon sux from what i have read
h~~p://img284.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled0fv.jpg

As for overall system performance i have nothing to compare it to so that isn't exactly helpfull. Any good programs that help?(i will look 2)
Can anyone offer me any advice please because its getting very frustrating.
I can play mohpa,nfsmw,quake4 at varying resolutions and even when they are turned all the way up they run exactly the same as in a lower res (only higher=looking a lot better) but they stutter just the same.

thanx for any advice guys i am stuck big time because i only got 1 compatible thing - a hdd so i know that it ain't that
k.

Oh when i ran 3dmark05 at some point it showed some figures
this is from the product spec
Core clock 490MHz+
and somewhere (i'm trying to find where i saw it)3dmark05 said mine was
Core clock 8.9mhz--------This has gotta be wrong

ApacNTS
11-28-2005, 07:41 PM
u plug the pci card in the right pci slot?
you make sure the card is firmly down all the way in?
is the power supply secure to the mobo?
have an errors in the post test?
is the h/s on your cpu correctly(working) and if compound was used is it spaced evenly?
do you have fans in your system, so airflow is good?

just a few questions that spring to mind

Kk4S-HaVoK
11-28-2005, 08:39 PM
u plug the pci card in the right pci slot?
you make sure the card is firmly down all the way in?
is the power supply secure to the mobo?
have an errors in the post test?
is the h/s on your cpu correctly(working) and if compound was used is it spaced evenly?
do you have fans in your system, so airflow is good?

just a few questions that spring to mind

1. Yes the card is in the right slot
2. Yes it is in ok
3> Yes the psu and mobo are connected ok
4. No errors in post
5. h/s + cpu installed fine
6. Two at the front(in) two at the back(out) 1x80mm fan in psu + 1x120mm fan in psu

the side isn't on yet as the pc is on a desk in front of my face

any more ideas?
cheers
k.

lynx
11-29-2005, 01:02 AM
Get a decent audio card.

My guess is that the board probably only has a basic audio codec, which means your cpu is doing all the audio conversions. Even a cheap card with a genuine audio processor will be better than that.

Edit: I just checked, if I read right it only has a basic codec. By comparison the earlier "-E" (A7N8X-E) has a full audio processor, and runs games very nicely thanks. :rolleyes:

On the other hand one of my other systems (Abit AV8) performed just as you described until I got a separate sound card.

ahctlucabbuS
11-29-2005, 01:12 AM
I had a similar problem at first when I built my new system, however installing the latest graphic drivers solved it.

As a side note I have the same mother board as you do, and everything is working fine now...

If you're unable to find a resolution, try this site:

www.computing.net

clocker
11-29-2005, 03:33 AM
I was just reading about problems similar to yours this morning at [H]ard forums, but they've been down most of the day so I can't link to it.

suprafreak6
11-29-2005, 03:36 AM
this might be a nooblar thing to say but if your on a wireless connection that could be it because that happened to me a while ago and i didnt know why it was but then i found out, dought its realated hope u fix the problem!

mr. nails
11-29-2005, 06:37 AM
list the drivers ur using. the hd ur using has fresh format?

edit: is that the only benchmark u've ran? try others 2. i upgraded from one system to another and certain benchmarks didn't really improve much while others skyrocketed.

Kk4S-HaVoK
11-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Cheers for the responses guys.
i have read lots on [h]ard forums this past week and half and everything i tried failed.
I have installed a separate s\card (a shi**y "Trust" one) but that made no difference (maybe this card is as bad as the onboard one i will reasearch it)
I have tried various combinations of drivers (old+new, new+new)
and also i have no wireless connection .
As for the hdd, you don't want to know how many full formats its had (pretty much every driver combo tested at least). Also i switched it for another i had and the problem remained, so i think that can be ruled out.

im just gonna set it up and then find what drivers i'm using.
I found a program called Everest so i'm gonna see what that says about the system
Cheers again

Edit: ok so i had the latest drivers installed
nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.65
nVidia graphics driver 81.95
Realtek AC'97 Driver V5.10.00.5750
Dx 9c

I thought i had tried older drivers but the ones on the cd are the same as the ones from nvidia website

Kk4S-HaVoK
11-30-2005, 05:41 PM
A few things i thought of

1. Could it be my cpu as the clock speed is only 2000mhz
2. Could it be my ram not working with the gfx card correctlly
3. I have never owned a psu that has removable cables, so could i have connected them incorrectly (the 6pin pci express cable only has 2 pins in the psu-end connector, and one of the connectors on the psu had two pins, so in it went).
4. I use the dvi slot next to the mobo (i can't fit the vga adapter on the other)
could that be it
5. Do you reckon it's worth seeing if they'll swap the parts, and eliminate the problem that way.

cpt_azad
11-30-2005, 07:33 PM
A few things i thought of

1. Could it be my cpu as the clock speed is only 2000mhz
2. Could it be my ram not working with the gfx card correctlly
3. I have never owned a psu that has removable cables, so could i have connected them incorrectly (the 6pin pci express cable only has 2 pins in the psu-end connector, and one of the connectors on the psu had two pins, so in it went).
4. I use the dvi slot next to the mobo (i can't fit the vga adapter on the other)
could that be it
5. Do you reckon it's worth seeing if they'll swap the parts, and eliminate the problem that way.

1) it says 2000mhz, but its actually 2400 (2.4ghz), besides, amd is known for performance, not for how fast it is (intel=teh sux)
2) impossible, as a last resolution (but prob. not cuz u have a nice cooling system set up) try heat spreaders
3) possibly, i wouldnt know sorry :( ask clocker
4) what happened to the VGA port on the gfx card?
5) probably not, static electricity might be a possibility but then again if that was the case u'd have a pretty big paperweight on ur computer table.

Kk4S-HaVoK
11-30-2005, 08:40 PM
ok thanx

the ram came with heat spreaders on it and the gfx card hasn't got a vga port it has got 2 dvi's and 1 svideo

>>>plod's of to his thinking chair>>>

Edit: also i wore a static wrist jobby wether they really help or not

clocker
11-30-2005, 11:15 PM
Hmmm...
Seems to me that the PCI-e connector had three pins on the side that plugs into the main unit.
Do you have another (the unit I got only had one PCI-e 6-pin connector anyway) wire line with a 6-pin on the device end and three on the PSU end?

Kk4S-HaVoK
11-30-2005, 11:37 PM
oops typo my bad
yeh 3 for pci-e and 2 for mobo power (4 pin)

I really want to try the sound card thing again it has given results everywhere i have read. i say this beacause i was browsing around the system and in device manager i noticed the trust soundcard wasn't there anymore.so i took it out and popped it bak in and it wasn't working.so in another system it went and nothing. i'm hopin the card was dying when i tryed it thus giving me no results .

But i don't want to spend a ton on something i don't need, then again if i buy a cheap-o one it might not have enough oomph to run itself. any ideas???

Just to throw something else in it takes 20 mins for a 2.6gb rar file to drag and drop from my dvdrom and dvdr\w. with dma enabled on both drives

bed will look more tommorrow

ta guys

clocker
12-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Can't you do a test run without a soundcard to verify that is your problem?

cpt_azad
12-01-2005, 12:47 AM
oops typo my bad
yeh 3 for pci-e and 2 for mobo power (4 pin)

I really want to try the sound card thing again it has given results everywhere i have read. i say this beacause i was browsing around the system and in device manager i noticed the trust soundcard wasn't there anymore.so i took it out and popped it bak in and it wasn't working.so in another system it went and nothing. i'm hopin the card was dying when i tryed it thus giving me no results .

But i don't want to spend a ton on something i don't need, then again if i buy a cheap-o one it might not have enough oomph to run itself. any ideas???

Just to throw something else in it takes 20 mins for a 2.6gb rar file to drag and drop from my dvdrom and dvdr\w. with dma enabled on both drives

bed will look more tommorrow

ta guys

although i've never done that before, i think 20 min for a 2.6gb file is just wayyyy too long. i think it has something to do with your motherboard, drivers may be up to date but it can be something else. what about BIOS (probably not, but just a guess)?

Kk4S-HaVoK
12-02-2005, 01:58 PM
i did a test run w\o a sound card and on board disabled but gta:sa wouldn't boot up and quake 4 still stuttered. i was hoping having a working dedicated s\card may help (don't reckon)
also bios is up to date and the chipset drivers on asus's site are 6.65 and so are my cd ones. (although the ones on asus;s site when i exctract them are in folders named pataraid and sataraid) as i have no raid setup i haven't used them, also i enabled system defaults and still nowt.
twenty minutes to drag sux. i put the same dvd in my p4 system (2.8ghz 768mb ddr) and it did in about 9mins, and about 9-10 in my ladys athlon xp 2400+ (2ghz 512mb ddr), and again 9-10 mins in my bros sony viao laptop (2.9ghz celeron 512mb ddr).

I must be missing something but everything i get advised to try i seem to of already done. (not that i don't appreciate the help)

Back to work now but i will try and find more ideas. i will focus on the mobo a bit when i get home as i don't think its the gfx (i just wish you could see the games run its so strange, no matter what resolution or quality settings its the same amount of stutter bloody stutter it gets no worse or better)

any more ideas out there guys?
k.

clocker
12-02-2005, 02:17 PM
OK...random ideas.

-Is your board jumpered (or however Asus handles it) for NON-SLI mode and is the card in the 16x slot?

-Is BIOS set to display PCI-e first and are there any other BIOS settings relevant to video (i.e. "maximum payload size" or the like)?

-Install Coolbits (http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815) and see what your max stable settings can be and try running them.

-What temp is the vid card running?

_Finally...could your monitor be the problem?

Wolfmight
12-03-2005, 05:29 AM
did you try updating your BIOS?
(hope this wasn't already mentioned)
I know that some motherboards solve the issue with a nice BIOS fix.

Also, were did you purchase the card from? was it used?

cpt_azad
12-03-2005, 10:53 AM
ya, dont know if this has already been said, but have u checked in BIOS to make sure PCI-e is enabled and that ur video card is indeed configured for PCI-e (i remember when i bought my pci-e, bios showed it as PCI, dont ask why it was like that i have no idea, i had to change it to PCI-e). and if all else fails, return the card, and demand an exchange or refund.

Wolfmight
12-03-2005, 01:35 PM
ya, dont know if this has already been said, but have u checked in BIOS to make sure PCI-e is enabled and that ur video card is indeed configured for PCI-e (i remember when i bought my pci-e, bios showed it as PCI, dont ask why it was like that i have no idea, i had to change it to PCI-e). and if all else fails, return the card, and demand an exchange or refund.
It's settings like PCI-E that should be set in the BIOS by defualt. Pretty strange when it's not. :happy: Thanks for the info though because I'm getting a new mobo with PCI-E, so I'll be sure to check the BIOS.

Kk4S-HaVoK
12-03-2005, 02:13 PM
greets
Bois is up to date there is a beta release but i don't really wanna use a beta.
All parts in this system where purchased from overclockers.co.uk and are new

There are no jumpers on the mobo and the card is in the 16x slot, also bios is set to pci-e first and i believe there are a few pci-e settings. These are something to do with speeding the card up ( i haven't used them because i believe i should not need to, the card should run games fine out of the box)
I will have a look when i get home and then report back.
Also i will try coolbits.
I will check the idle temp but i know it hits 70 when i have gamed for about 40 mins (stock cooler installed on it). Also i have trieds various monitors so thats not it. Can you tell me if it matters what dvi port i connect my monitor to. i haven't tried because i will need to take it all out and cut a bit of case away. I used a program called everest which i'm sure you have heard of and when i looked at the display readings it said my pci-e 16x slot was used by my card- this is ok but in one of the spare slots it said something was in it running at 4x ( it never said what was using it though)

But i got a MASSIVE result with cod2 i turned the audio quality down and the games speed increase was fantastic. it still judders a tad but omg it is nearly all set top whack. i have tried in various other games but nothing .

And i removed my dvd-rom just to use in another pc and the dvd r/w transfered 2.6gb in about 9 mins. Ideally though i want the dvd-rom in it aswell. So i will still need to look in to that.

i'm gonna check bios about the pci-e card so will let ya know

cheers all

tesco
12-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Just to see, go into your game's settings (any of the stuttering ones) and see in the sound options if 3d sound or surround sound or any options like that are turned on.
I remember i used to have problems with this and it always pissed me off until I realized it was because I was setting then to surround sound which meant my CPU had a lot of work to do (onboard sound).

Kk4S-HaVoK
12-04-2005, 06:44 PM
some of the games don't have such options, following the success i had with cod2 i tried them straight away. the ones that did it had no effect

reignking
12-07-2005, 06:59 AM
i know there have been some problems with some of the gtx cards being overclocked too much from the manufactorer. a friend of mine has a msi one and another has asus maybe??? and both were overclocked too far resulting in the pauses and stuttering in game...

try underclocking your card a bit and see if that works... worked for a few people i know with almost identical systems as yours.

rk

zygorator
02-16-2006, 01:27 PM
got the same problem, but if you go to the task manager and set the game to only run on the first cpu it runs smooth.:blink:
i dont know why it does this though.
damnit i want to run my games with both cpu's.
could it be that the 2nd cpu is defect?