PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Firefox 1.5

{I}{K}{E}
11-29-2005, 07:48 PM
Latest Changes:

* Automated update to streamline product upgrades
* Faster browser navigation with improvements to back and forward button performance
* Drag and drop reordering for browser tabs
* Improvements to popup blocking
* Clear Private Data feature provides an easy way to quickly remove personal data through a menu item or keyboard shortcut
* Answers.com is added to the search engine list
* Improvements to product usability including descriptive error pages, redesigned options menu, RSS discovery, and "Safe Mode" experience
* Better accessibility including support for DHTML accessibility and assistive technologies such as the Window-Eyes 5.5 beta screen reader for Microsoft Windows. Screen readers read aloud all available information in applications and documents or show the i
* Report a broken Web site wizard to report Web sites that are not working in Firefox
* Better support for Mac OS X (10.2 and greater) including profile migration from Safari and Mac Internet Explorer
* New support for Web Standards including SVG, CSS 2 and CSS 3, and JavaScript 1.6
* Many security enhancements

mozilla.org (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) will be updated soon :)

:source: Source: Betanews.com (http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Mozilla_Firefox_for_Windows/1032985422/1)

:down: Other languages (http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.5/win32/)

BawA
11-30-2005, 04:17 PM
not final, right?

S!X
11-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Its final :D

DorisInsinuate
11-30-2005, 05:00 PM
They've moved to mozilla.com.

I'm not upgrading till they release the Britlish version :snooty:

Mullyman
11-30-2005, 10:03 PM
I have been an avid supporter of FireFox...but 1.5 should of never been released until all the bugs were ironed out,there are to many issues happening with it(read there forums before you install it)..I tried to reinstall 1.07 but then I had problems with that,so to avoid any more conflicts I uninstalled FireFox and switched to Maxthon(I wanted the tab browsing)...I just don"t have the patience or time to try and make something work that has been tested and approved...Maxthon is not as secure as FireFox but at least it functions as it should.:devil:

UPDATE 12-01-05
Well it bugged the hell out of me what the problem was...it seems some extensions cause a conflict with 1.5...I went into Firefox safe mode...this is NOT windows safe mode..to get to firefox safe mode you type the following into the "run" screen..C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Firefox SafeMode ...Firefox will then open as it was first installed...check the appropriate boxes (pic below) or continue in safe mode and delete your extensions one at a time untill you find the one causing the problem...in my case it was "Java Script"..all is back to normal now and it seems to be working fine.

mr. nails
12-09-2005, 06:14 AM
http://news.com.com/Unpatched+Firefox+1.5+exploit+made+public/2100-1002_3-5987401.html?tag=nefd.top

adamp2p
12-11-2005, 02:32 AM
This version is very buggy...I agree! So does Anand:

http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=25419

mr. nails
12-12-2005, 01:11 AM
The Firefox Bug:
Turns out that the vulnerability code released Thursday isn't nearly as critical as initially made out, but Mozilla will have a patch available early in the new year anyway according to PC World It will just basically crash the browser if you visit a site coded to exploit the vulnerability.

Security research company Secunia Thursday gave the bug a rating of "not critical" in a report on its Web site. Schroepfer said it would be extremely rare for someone to visit a site that exploits the hole during a typical Web-browsing session. "You'd have to browse to a malicious site, one that someone spent the time to create to cause people harm," he said. "Then you'd have to browse there, and the next time your browser would take longer to start." Even if a user does encounter a malicious Web site that exploits the hole, clearing out the browser's history will remedy the problem.

zaphodiv
12-19-2005, 10:14 AM
I'v been having some problems with firefox crashing reccently.

I exported my bookmarks, uninstalled firefox, deleted c:\program files\mozilla firefox, deleted C:\Documents and Settings\the_windows_username_im_using\Application Data\Mozilla, rebooted and reinstalled firefox 1.5

It hasn't crashed again, yet. I suspect there is some incompatibility between the files created by 1.0.x and 1.5

This resulted in the firefox not having a load of usernames and passwords stored anymore.

mr. nails
12-19-2005, 12:09 PM
I'v been having some problems with firefox crashing reccently.

I exported my bookmarks, uninstalled firefox, deleted c:\program files\mozilla firefox, deleted C:\Documents and Settings\the_windows_username_im_using\Application Data\Mozilla, rebooted and reinstalled firefox 1.5

It hasn't crashed again, yet. I suspect there is some incompatibility between the files created by 1.0.x and 1.5

This resulted in the firefox not having a load of usernames and passwords stored anymore.
in that situation all u needed to do is empty ur history and u'd been fine. also, michael dell isn't the ceo anymore and hasn't been for a couple of years.

zaphodiv
12-19-2005, 12:27 PM
I tried clearing the history and the cache with no usefull effect.

The quote is from this interview (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1501767,00.asp) when he was still Chairman and CEO.

jdoggvt
12-20-2005, 08:40 PM
i'm a big fan of opera, but i've recently started using firefox just to see what they hype's all about... i have to say, the only thing I really like about firefox is the extension to allow internet explorer rendering, everything else seems like a slower more resource intensive version of opera.

not that I'm critisizing your choice of browser (cause i'm really not), but why do you guys prefer firefox to opera?

xpu
12-21-2005, 01:04 AM
i have used opera for sometime and then one day i tried firefox just to see why it was so famous and the only thing that make me like firefox was the great amount of extensions and because it was faster than opera too, so i stayed with firefox :unsure:

peat moss
12-21-2005, 02:04 AM
i have used opera for sometime and then one day i tried firefox just to see why it was so famous and the only thing that make me like firefox was the great amount of extensions and because it was faster than opera too, so i stayed with firefox :unsure:

I like both but was going to post a new thread called "Firefox 1.5 Stability Problems?" I read it today and this thread seemed like a better idea.

Story : http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=175007152

I guess I must be in the 60 % , it must be frustrating tho , to read about a new browser D/L it and have nothing but troubles that no one else seems to have . :(

jdoggvt
12-22-2005, 04:26 PM
oddly enough, my opera (with a million tabs open) takes up about 80Mb of memory. Firefox (with slightly less tabs) takes up over 200Mb. the only extensions I have are the mouse gestures one and some other to make it behave like opera. guess i'll wait and see since opera is free now which one turns out better in the end.