PDA

View Full Version : Macrovision Forces Removal of DVD Decrypter

RealitY
11-29-2005, 08:00 PM
During June of this year, it was learned that DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 would be the last version released. DVD Decrypter, as its name implies, is a tool used to strip the contents of copy protected DVDs. It uses the DeCSS engine to defeat the weak Content Scrambling System that was supposed to protect DVDs.

Considering DVD Decrypter was easy to use and didn't cripple the disc like DVD X Copy, it quickly became the premier DVD copying utility. Unlike DVD X Copy, it did not strip special features include a nag screen. The integrated burning utility has also been popular among users. Despite being discontinued, it remains in wide use.

Eventually its popularity was noticed by concerned copyright holders, which hastened its demise. The developer announced on Afterdawn "a certain company" had threatened him with litigation, forcing him to discontinue the software.

"Ok so it has taken a while (almost 2 years), but eventually "a certain company" has decided they don't like what I'm doing (circumventing their protection) and have come at me like a pack of wolves. I've no choice but to cease everything to do with DVD Decrypter."

The "certain copy" turned out to be Macrovision, a firm that specialized in developing DRM (Digital Rights Management) software. In an interesting twist, Macrovision also purchased the intellectual property rights of the software. This move allows Macrovision considerably more leeway in protecting their interests, rather than suing the company out of existence. Today, they used that increased power to force Afterdawn.com to remove DVD Decrypted from the download inventory.

"As the current owner of the intellectual property rights in DVD Decrypter Macrovision has contacted us to inform that "any license granted by Lightning UK! to AfterDawn for the distribution of any version of the Software [DVD Decrypter] is hereby terminated with immediate effect."

Now, Macrovision can go to any site that hosts DVD Decrypter and easily force its removal. No DMCA threats, no legal troubles, and little justification to receive a hard time.

:source: Source: http://www.slyck.com/

maebach
11-29-2005, 08:14 PM
That sucks, it's a great tool.

backlash
11-29-2005, 08:23 PM
/me downloads right away to store for future use

Yoga
11-29-2005, 08:42 PM
too bad

Virtualbody1234
11-29-2005, 09:57 PM
But it's still available on eMule. :whistling

twisterX
11-29-2005, 11:23 PM
:mad3:

abu_has_the_power
11-30-2005, 12:00 AM
sigh

glad i still have my copy

zapjb
11-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Shit it's available at doom9. F macro, symatec & all these big co fng buying the best. Then fng them up or just killing the apps.

reaktor
12-01-2005, 07:32 AM
That really blows, the guy that made it though should have made it open source before all of that stuff happened, then it could have just lived on

Skiz
12-01-2005, 09:15 AM
I would be lost w/o DVD Decrypter.:cry:

As soon as I heard that it had been taken down (the website and software), I put my current version on a disc for future use. :whistling

Twigboy
12-01-2005, 09:44 AM
All I can say if you have it share - I am,Bit-Kazaa-ect.
Screw them!!!
I stopped going to the movies,can't see paying X-amount of dollars($10+refreshments) to see a flick(Alot of shity movies out there anyways)
It's really not the movie theaters fault,they profit off the popcorn and shit they sell for the most part.
They're as bad as the cell phone companies.
Assholes!!!

abu_has_the_power
12-01-2005, 09:29 PM
All I can say if you have it share - I am,Bit-Kazaa-ect.
Screw them!!!
I stopped going to the movies,can't see paying X-amount of dollars($10+refreshments) to see a flick(Alot of shity movies out there anyways)
It's really not the movie theaters fault,they profit off the popcorn and shit they sell for the most part.
They're as bad as the cell phone companies.
Assholes!!!
oh c'mon. some movies are worth seeing in theaters with your friends.

Twigboy
12-02-2005, 04:24 AM
Yeah your right.
It's just the last time I went to see a movie (a couple days ago),I had some kid screaming and carrying on something awful - parents just let it continue.
Also had some jackass infront of me who's cell phone kept ringing every ten minutes.
Just a really bad experience,was kinda pissed when I posted here earlier.

fkdup74
12-02-2005, 07:34 PM
Yeah your right.
It's just the last time I went to see a movie (a couple days ago),I had some kid screaming and carrying on something awful - parents just let it continue.
Also had some jackass infront of me who's cell phone kept ringing every ten minutes.
Just a really bad experience,was kinda pissed when I posted here earlier.

throw popcorn at em :P

meh. fuck macrovision. I have the last build backed up. I have gigs of shit backed up. they can't stop me. :01:

releasing the code would've been nice, but oh well.

backlash
12-02-2005, 07:49 PM
is it better than dvdshrink? I use that and never had a problem. What's the difference b/w them? is it just a matter of preference?

Busyman
12-03-2005, 03:19 AM
is it better than dvdshrink? I use that and never had a problem. What's the difference b/w them? is it just a matter of preference?
dl it now from doom9...while you still can.:unsure: