PDA

View Full Version : Technical Blunder Wins the Day for Kazaa

RealitY
11-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Just one mistake has cost the ARIA (Australian Recording Industry Association) three months of unfettered public access to copyrighted works on the FastTrack network. Sharman Networks, in their attempt to build legitimacy, were pushing for an Audible Magic filter. The Australian recording industry was seeking a 3,000 word filter instead.

In order to settle these differences, the Australian court ordered two "conclaves." These conclaves were gatherings of technical personnel from Sharman Networks and the ARIA. No lawyers were present as Judge Wilcox wanted to avoid any kind of legalese.

The first meeting went very well, and both sides appeared close to coming to an agreement. Sharman Networks' stance on filtering copyrighted material with Audible Magic appeared to be gathering support of the ARIA's technical crew, but not with their lawyer, Mr. Michael Williams.

Distressed in the direction the meeting went and not favoring the Audible Magic solution, Mr. Williams pulled the plug on the second meeting. Quite simply, Mr. Williams ordered the music industry's technical crew to simply not show up. This meeting could have accomplished a tremendous amount, such as organizing Kazaa's filtering technology for the December 5th deadline.

However, Judge Wilcox was infuriated with the Australian music industry for violating the court's order.

"When I heard about it I was extremely angry about it, I can tell you that. I will try and not let that determine my attitude to what has to be decided today, but I have to struggle not to. If Mr Williams wanted to call off the attendance you should have done so in good time and notified everybody in good time. Not has a situation where a 9 o'clock on Monday morning everyone was looking around and saying, well what is happening. I think it also was quite inappropriate for nobody on your side to turn up."

Since the music industry did not show up to the second conclave, Judge Wilcox granted Sharman Networks a further stay until late February of 2006. Sharman will still have to work on filtering technology, as per the original ruling, but an amazing technical blunder by the Australian recording industry has prevented the immediate filtration of the FastTrack network.

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1008

Filliz
12-02-2005, 02:26 AM
Oh NoEz!111!!11!! :O
Where will I get my music when "Teh Filtering" sets in?

:P

FooBag
12-05-2005, 05:11 PM
What idiots... ignoring a court order... great idea!

monisriz
03-16-2006, 12:45 PM
lol...had to be a stupid lawyer..

Damnatory
03-20-2006, 06:38 AM
Anyone know if this filtering system is going to be programmed into the Kazaa application, or over the entire fasttrack network? If it's merely client side, I'm pretty sure that the K-lite team won't be including that in their releases.

Skiz
03-20-2006, 02:43 PM
I can't beleive people still use this shite. I guess it's an easy step into filesharing.

I'm more surprised that Kazaa/K-Lite has self-destructed from all the fake files and viruses. Why would anyone use Kazaa related programs when there's great software that is very similar in use such as Soulseek?

wiggle
04-05-2006, 06:37 PM
I can't beleive people still use this shite. I guess it's an easy step into filesharing.

I'm more surprised that Kazaa/K-Lite has self-destructed from all the fake files and viruses. Why would anyone use Kazaa related programs when there's great software that is very similar in use such as Soulseek?

Errr, I use Kazaa, because it's fast, I can find files easily, it doesn't fcuk up my 'puter like Bittorrent does, in 4 years of using it I have NEVER had a virus file, I have had in total 2 or 3 faked files. I can download many files simultaneously, I can look at a users shared folder to see what else they have.

It is an easy step into file sharing and it was good enough for me that I remained with it.

Compare with bit torrent, the good thing about bit torrent is that there are lots of "more useful" files available, personally I do my searching from pirate bay, but I have no idea of what I am actually searching, i.e. does PB have listed all the files available on everyones torrent client or do they only have available all the files uploaded through PB? I don't know, at least with Kazaa I know I am searching the files held by 3,000,000 + users.

Then when I find a file I want on torrent, I find I can only download it at 10Kbs (compared to 128kbs on Kazaa) I find that the client fcuks with my machine in a big way so I can't surf while I download.

And I find that I can only download 1 file at a time, compared with as many as I want on Kazaa.

Now you may be thinking you know some other P2P platforms such as donkey or whatever but I haven't got time to go looking at others and have to find adfree malfree freeware versions of the programs which I can trust to put on my machine and then learn how to use them. Why should I when Kazaa is fast multifunctional and suits my needs? If there's a file I want and it's not on Kazaa I'll reluctantly use torrents but I have to sacrifice my time on my machine while I let it download.