PDA

View Full Version : Winxp Or Win98se

junkyardking
04-19-2003, 10:05 AM
I have winme but it's shit literaly with all it's blue screens of death and what not, so im thinking of changing to either win98se or Winxp pro, but i've heard that winxp needs a fast computer, will my computer specs run it with no problems or is it too slow

P3 800

20gb

384mb ram

zapjb
04-19-2003, 11:34 AM
I think your specs should do. WinMe I think is just 98SE with a service pack.

Ad
04-19-2003, 11:57 AM
personly i think 98se is a load of shit blue screens and illiegal operations every 10 minutes

accat13
04-19-2003, 12:58 PM
You should be ok with xp I have xp pro on a comp with 667 mhz 512ram..You might want to upgrade ram xp loves ram..One thing about xp you won't see the blue screen of death anymore..When it crashes its a soft crash that you can get out of by ending task. B)

Jibbler
04-19-2003, 02:00 PM
There really is no comparison. WinXP is the way to go. ;)

vegeta
04-19-2003, 02:13 PM
y dont u see the requirements for xp on microsoft.i say win 98 is better(for me)its easy to use ;)

zacspeed
04-19-2003, 05:58 PM
I ran XP on an AMD K6 300Mhz with 224Mb RAM for over a year No problems whatsoever :D

Los
04-19-2003, 06:11 PM
hardware should be fine to run XP...drivers and software already installed might be a problem.

Check out some of these links. Def run the compatibility check b4 upgrading...

System requirements for Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/eva...ion/sysreqs.asp

To find out compatibility issues download the following and scan computer:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whi...N-US/UpgAdv.exe
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp)

Windows 98 vs. Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/eva...ide/default.asp

Wizzandabe
04-19-2003, 06:22 PM
i am runnig win98se and it is shit. Get xp

Los
04-19-2003, 06:32 PM
that helps the guy....

daybris
04-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Wizzandabe@19 April 2003 - 19:22
i am runnig win98se and it is shit. Get xp
;) in my opinion u should start learning ur own machines everybody!!!! i´m on a P2 350mghz with 256 ram. i used win98se,NIEMAS PROBLEMAS, win me, NIEMAS PROBLEMAS, win xp and NIEMAS PROBLEMAS either. i´m running win me now and my only problem is when i exit kazaalite.then a bluescreen appeares but that should have something to do with kazaalite and not my pc. so guys get a grip before u talk to much crap.
could it be that everyone is trying to modify and speeding and tweaking and so on and on and on. at least as long as i have my slow and old pc i´m keeping win me and the rest just sucks. :)

daybris
04-19-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by vegeta@19 April 2003 - 15:13
y dont u see the requirements for xp on microsoft.i say win 98 is better(for me)its easy to use ;)
ja de har du baske mig rätt i....that swedish.....means u r blody right :D

sred2003
04-20-2003, 02:02 AM
okay, first off win98se is known to be a very stable OS.
winme is known to be a piece of shit.
and winxp is supposed to be just awesome.
thats what i hear.

junkyardking
04-22-2003, 06:14 AM
might go either way i've only got a 20 gb hard drive.

wingless1
05-07-2003, 08:30 AM
Man, I've only just dowloaded XP, and am seaching for tips on
installation before formatting one of my HD's,
(I can't burn to CD 'cause I don't have a burner...)
but I have to wave the flag for 98SE!- it was crap until I added
more RAM ( they like to tip the scales on recommended ,
so called 'requirements') it became seriously stable by comparison....
errors occur, people.... ME sucks because it is not as malleable
(they try to hide so much from the user_> I call it the training wheels
approach, which is de-evolution if you ask me :P)

mobboss01
05-07-2003, 01:09 PM
I was using WinME with many freeze-ups. It is a glorified Win98SE, so I decided to install WinXP Pro Corporate. I had trouble with the upgrade, so I made backups onto my secondary drive and did a clean install. Then I converted my secondary drive to NTFS. After all, I have had no problems. XP is loaded with up to date drivers for you, so all should run pretty well. I would go with XP, just make backups somehow. If you can't make backups, stick with what you got, cause the upgrade was a big headache.

Wolfmight
05-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Fresh Install XP and you will never get bull crap Illigal Opperations ever again... trust me, i've never seen even 1 unknown error since I used windows xp corp. (if you use old uncompatable software, there are even compatability settings you can change :rolleyes: )

smiles4me
05-07-2003, 02:02 PM
I have a P2, 400 running 98SE and looks like there's some issues that might cause me to need to wipe my 10 gig hard drive....

I know! I know! need more....and need more ram...running 192 of RAM...but $$$ is an issue.....

any suggestions on if it would be a mistake to re-format and load xp as OS?

random nut
05-07-2003, 04:56 PM
First make sure that all your hardware devices are XP compatible. You can probably do that at microsoft's site, or if you have the XP CD, you can probably find that program on it to test your computer. You wouldn't need to re-format your HDD to install XP. Just install XP (clean install) and afterwards delete the old windows directory and the program folders it used.

smiles4me
05-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Ok, thank you so much for the great advice. Did the upgrade advisor from Microsoft's site and did find that there would be several issues with my hardware if I upgraded. Saved me much time and frustration. Guess i am with Win98 se until the microsoft fairy decides to leave a new computer under my pillow....

:)

Thanks again

murderousflames
05-08-2003, 10:59 PM
Not to sound like a complete and total jerk, but you should be slapped for such a question

EnJoi
05-09-2003, 03:17 AM
XP ALL THE WAY IM USING IT
F*CK windows ME i had it hated it

WebCheF
05-09-2003, 03:35 AM
98se, work'd fine for my p3 466mg, and had few probs. also my compat test also gave many errors, did it anyway and the updates resolved everthing, but if you like 98se it is a smaller package and very light on your rsrces, so I would back up the good stuff from your hd, and fdisk, then clean install and go for the updates before you restore your bak up files,

BTW, I use xp now on my new rig also, practicly fix's it self, very userfriendly, and lots more support and ,hell all around it's good,

WebCheF
05-09-2003, 03:36 AM
98se, work'd fine for my p3 466mg, and had few probs. also my compat test also gave many errors, did it anyway and the updates resolved everthing, but if you like 98se it is a smaller package and very light on your rsrces, so I would back up the good stuff from your hd, and fdisk, then clean install and go for the updates before you restore your bak up files,

BTW, I use xp now on my new rig also, practicly fix's it self, very userfriendly, and lots more support and ,hell all around it's good,

But IF ANYONE KNOWS, HOME OR PRO, NOT WORRIED ABOUT MY RESRCES, BUT JUST OVERALL PERFORMANCE IN OPPERATIONS???

THANKS IN ADVC