PDA

View Full Version : Next line of...

despikable
12-02-2005, 04:19 AM
When do you think the next line of processors(i mean like pentium 5 or whatever):lookaroun will come out. with the launch of vista??

GepperRankins
12-02-2005, 05:17 AM
dunno. i heard on TV that moores law is running is stopping because there's no possible way to make CPUs much more complex. apparently they're looking into some biological thing thing so a transistor can do 0, 1 and 2. and multiple CPU being standard fair.

may be the flu talking though :pinch:

cpt_azad
12-02-2005, 05:22 AM
moore's law can be flawed....oh wait nvm

despikable
12-02-2005, 06:19 AM
Well i was thinking about buying a new computer and am deciding on whether i should by it now or if i should wait till 2nd half of next year when vista launches just in case theres a new generation which is better suited for Vista. Because if i did id be kicking myself for a while. What do you guys think? Also what about x86(i have no clue the significance of this)?

zapjb
12-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Vista is slated for August 2006. Expect it to be late, of course.

clocker
12-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Any reasonably specced a64 system should run Vista just fine.

Trying to configure a build today to fit an OS that MS won't release for nearly a year is impossible.
Besides, it's still questionable whether Vista will be worth upgrading to till it hits the streets anyway.

Virtualbody1234
12-02-2005, 12:44 PM
More importantly... Why are you asking? Is your current PC not working right?

If it's still ok then it's better to wait.

lynx
12-02-2005, 07:51 PM
No doubt Intel will come out with the P5 when they've managed to get the P4 working properly without overheating. :dry:

On the other hand, if they run true to form maybe not.

despikable
12-02-2005, 08:44 PM

Right now i run a really old computer that i had since 99 it still runs ok i cant play a lot of new games or i cant run apps and stuff is real slow. I want to buy another computer that will atleast last 4-5 years without outdating and im trying to figure out when its best to buy it.

Anyway if your curious my specs are pentium 3 450mhz with 300 and something ram with a 120gig hardrive(the only thing i upgraded).

So right now i get tempted by all these new games i cant play and all the other advanced stuff i cant do.anyways this is why :)

matt526
12-02-2005, 08:52 PM
how much money do you want to spend on a new computer?

Virtualbody1234
12-02-2005, 11:13 PM

Right now i run a really old computer that i had since 99 it still runs ok i cant play a lot of new games or i cant run apps and stuff is real slow. I want to buy another computer that will atleast last 4-5 years without outdating and im trying to figure out when its best to buy it.

Anyway if your curious my specs are pentium 3 450mhz with 300 and something ram with a 120gig hardrive(the only thing i upgraded).

So right now i get tempted by all these new games i cant play and all the other advanced stuff i cant do.anyways this is why :)
That's despikable. I have a P3 - 800MHz with 512MB RAM that I use just for p2p.

Wolfmight
12-03-2005, 05:14 AM
If it's games you want, just buy a whole new system. Prebuilt or Built from seperate parts (sometimes Prebuilt can save you money though, but building your own gives you a better choice of each and every part you could possibly want.)
Right now, I'd say you could spend a good $550 on a new mobo with pci-express, a 64-bit cpu, a pci-express graphics card, and some $40 512MB DDR Ram (or 1gb to top it off).
With that+your 120gb hd. You should be able to get some good speed. You may even be able to get a $300 graphics card, because the other parts cost less than $100 now of days.

Wolfmight
12-03-2005, 05:19 AM

That's despikable. I have a P3 - 800MHz with 512MB RAM that I use just for p2p.
Not that we use it, but we have an ancient Gateway 2000 100mhz with a 2gb HD, about 50mb or so RAM, 8mb Graphics Card, and a motherboard that is a monster! Dude, the graphics card is like half the size of the motherboard! Heh, it can barely run Windows 98.
Here's some things that literally caused the system to almost freeze when we actually used it 10 years ago:
Quicktime Movies, A.I.M, any 3D DirectX games, Audio CDs (took forever to load), and many more. I didn't know much about trading files on IRC at the time, but the hardrive was too damn small anyways. It was full all the damn time.

I think the monitor's refresh rate is around 50hz, but I'm not sure. All I know is that shit gives you a headache.