PDA

View Full Version : Bit Torrent Speed

JPaul
12-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Just broke my Bit Torrent download record with a rather respectable 462 kB/s. Nowhere near usenet speeds, but my best ever on BT.

It was The F Word, from UKNova, using BitTornado.

GepperRankins
12-02-2005, 08:52 PM
i had a few KB faster than my actual speed once.

132K is my max i think, pretty good considering i can only actually go 128 :01:

DanB
12-02-2005, 08:58 PM
http://www.milnet.com/pentagon/medals/PIM-Medal.gif

GepperRankins
12-02-2005, 08:59 PM
:blink:

JPaul
NTL just gave out upgrades. I think I now have more bandwidth than my PC can cope with now, but that's OK as I have 4 (sometimes 5) thro' the same wireless network.

Maybe I need to upgrade something, the gateway is only 811b (or whatever) is that maybe too slow to cope with 10Mb, to various different machines. Or does it not work that way.

JPaul
http://www.milnet.com/pentagon/medals/PIM-Medal.gif
:blushing:

GepperRankins
12-02-2005, 09:01 PM
NTL just gave out upgrades. I think I now have more bandwidth than my PC can cope with now, but that's OK as I have 4 (sometimes 5) thro' the same wireless network.

Maybe I need to upgrade something, the gateway is only 811b (or whatever) is that maybe too slow to cope with 10Mb, to various different machines. Or does it not work that way.
802.11b goes 5.5 or 11mbps, so it's just about fast enough. if i were you i'd go wired and give me your access point

Mr. Mulder
12-02-2005, 09:01 PM
thanks to manker i use uknova for bleak house and get speeds of 116kbs, when my max is suppose to be one gigx0r

JPaul
12-02-2005, 09:04 PM

802.11b goes 5.5 or 11mbps, so it's just about fast enough. if i were you i'd go wired and give me your access point
Your right, I can get 11, it shows up in the system tray. So that shouldn't be a prob, thanks for that.

I had some of it wired before, but found that it worked better with wireless. I think it's because of the lengths of cables I had to use.

Wireless is also more popliar with Mrs JP, due to neatness and ease of moveage.

GepperRankins
12-02-2005, 09:05 PM
how big is your house like?

JPaul
12-02-2005, 09:06 PM
thanks to manker i use uknova for bleak house and get speeds of 116kbs, when my max is suppose to be one gigx0r
UKNova is ace, especially if you can get a good ratio and get in on the torrents early doors.

JPaul
12-02-2005, 09:08 PM
5 bed plus living, dining, kitchen and study. Detached, obviousement.

We extended it because of the large number of sprogs.

Mr. Mulder
12-02-2005, 09:09 PM
thanks to manker i use uknova for bleak house and get speeds of 116kbs, when my max is suppose to be one gigx0r UKNova is ace, especially if you can get a good ratio and get in on the torrents early doors.

been seeding bleak house but noone wants them, left a few seeding over night and there were no takers :unsure:

DanB
12-02-2005, 09:10 PM
I wonder why :lol:

JPaul
12-02-2005, 09:12 PM
UKNova is ace, especially if you can get a good ratio and get in on the torrents early doors.

been seeding bleak house but noone wants them, left a few seeding over night and there were no takers :unsure:
I download the torrents to my download folder. Then I restart them every so often to see if anyone is interested. It means you can seed for the latecomers when other people have stopped, can help the ratio.

Mr. Mulder
12-02-2005, 09:14 PM

:fist:

will check in with the torrents once in a while, see if they're needed :unsure:

manker
12-02-2005, 09:16 PM

been seeding bleak house but noone wants them, left a few seeding over night and there were no takers :unsure:I was thinking of getting them to watch as I've missed the series on the tele.

Not gonna help the ratio problem if I do tho' :blink:

JPaul
12-02-2005, 09:19 PM
been seeding bleak house but noone wants them, left a few seeding over night and there were no takers :unsure:I was thinking of getting them to watch as I've missed the series on the tele.

Not gonna help the ratio problem if I do tho' :blink:
I find the method I mentioned above helps.

Also to get kick started share something that you only half want, but is really popliar with other folk. That way you can ensure "no waiting" and get in on torrents early, which is always good for the ratio.

GepperRankins
12-02-2005, 09:24 PM
i had the misfortune of seeing bleak house some time in the last few days. what a load of shite. boring nothing happens shite. just shite. no word describes it better than shite. apart from maybe tired shite. but it is shite. if i could have moved comfortably i would have hung myself

GepperRankins
12-02-2005, 09:25 PM

:fist:

will check in with the torrents once in a while, see if they're needed :unsure:
jump on new stuff with only one seed and leave it for a bit. that's how i discovered jedi mind tricks :01:

they now the second most popliar band evar :happy:

manker
12-02-2005, 09:25 PM

'kin el.

She's keeping you in the manner to which you're accustomed - and then some :o

JPaul
12-02-2005, 09:26 PM
i had the misfortune of seeing bleak house some time in the last few days. what a load of shite. boring nothing happens shite. just shite. no word describes it better than shite. apart from maybe tired shite. but it is shite. if i could have moved comfortably i would have hung myself
Plagiarist.

You copied and pasted that from The Times Literary Supplement. I remember reading it.

crysmileyguy!
12-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Just broke my Bit Torrent download record with a rather respectable 462 kB/s. Nowhere near usenet speeds, but my best ever on BT.

It was The F Word, from UKNova, using BitTornado.

:blink: join a GOOD BT site and ull max ur connection out easy.

some guy over at TB has been using a 1GB connection server to seed some stuff, im sure u could max ur connection out from his upload easy :lol:

manker
12-02-2005, 09:27 PM
So get on torrents as early as possible in order that more people will leech off you.

Good thinking, chaps :rolleyes:

GepperRankins
12-02-2005, 09:29 PM
So get on torrents as early as possible in order that more people will leech off you.

i mean like even ones you don't want :snooty:

JPaul

'kin el.

Hoi, bear in mind there are hundreds of us and 2 chiens. You've got a higher room v person ratio.

We got 2 new cars as well. :blushing:

I got the Renault (the clio extreme) I was talking about and she quite liked it. So we got another one, but she got the girlier red one with sunroof and stuff.

GepperRankins
Plagiarist.

You copied and pasted that from The Times Literary Supplement. I remember reading it.
'cept they use capitals :snooty:

GepperRankins
12-02-2005, 09:31 PM

:o

we gots wires about 10 metres and there's no loss :ermm:

dunno if that means anything to you, maybe you had a crap hub or sommat :snooty:

JPaul
12-02-2005, 09:31 PM

:P

Or seed later, when less people are doing it, thumbarse.

manker
12-02-2005, 09:32 PM
'kin el.

Hoi, bear in mind there are hundreds of us and 2 chiens. You've got a higher room v person ratio.

We got 2 new cars as well. :blushing:

I got the Renault (the clio extreme) I was talking about and she quite liked it. So we got another one, but she got the girlier red one with sunroof and stuff.And there was me thinking that a Renault Clio simply couldn't get any more girly.

We live and we learn :P

JPaul
12-02-2005, 09:33 PM

:o

we gots wires about 10 metres and there's no loss :ermm:

dunno if that means anything to you, maybe you had a crap hub or sommat :snooty:
It's all Linksys stuff which I think is good kit.

Some of the cables were 20m because of routing thro' various rooms. I was told that 25m was the max (chap at Maplins).

GepperRankins
12-02-2005, 09:36 PM
i'll let you off then :fist:

JPaul
12-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Thank you, thank you very much.

GepperRankins
12-02-2005, 09:38 PM
you're lucky i'm feeling kind today. seriousment

JPaul
12-02-2005, 09:40 PM
You seem much calmer, are you medicated.

Can we expect you to bump the "Are you a mental" thread.

GepperRankins
12-02-2005, 09:45 PM

the other day i had fluoxetine, ginkgo bilobo and vodka. apparently you aren't supposed to mix any of them :pinch:

i also haven't had my minocycline for a week so my skin is flaring up :fist:

mang i'm depressed now. i sound like yogi :cry:

JPaul
12-02-2005, 09:47 PM

the other day i had fluoxetine, ginkgo bilobo and vodka. apparently you aren't supposed to mix any of them :pinch:

i also haven't had my minocycline for a week so my skin is flaring up :fist:

mang i'm depressed now. i sound like yogi :cry:
Ah, the heady mix of prozac and vodka - happy daze.

Gripper
12-02-2005, 10:47 PM
190 kbsdown 25 kbs up

JPaul
12-02-2005, 11:04 PM
190 kbsdown 25 kbs up
leech

Gripper
12-02-2005, 11:26 PM
If ntl gives me more I'll give it back:w00t: :01: