PDA

View Full Version : Privacy Patch

The Knife Thrower
04-19-2003, 12:51 PM
With the Privacy Patch no one can look at your shared files. That means that some might think you are a leecher. If so, then what's the point in sharing if people will still think you are a leech?

J'Pol
04-19-2003, 01:44 PM
I don't care if people think I am a leech.

I am sharing and the people who are downloading from me know that.

Jibbler
04-19-2003, 01:45 PM
I don't use the privacy patch, but I'm curious, have they thought of bundling it with kazaa? It seems like this would be the next logical step. :o

clocker
04-19-2003, 03:47 PM
What is the difference between the privacy patch and the option box in advanced options that says "prevent other users from getting a list of all your shared files"?

racer II
04-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by clocker@19 April 2003 - 16:47
What is the difference between the privacy patch and the option box in advanced options that says "prevent other users from getting a list of all your shared files"?
I believe thats the patch, it is only in kazaa lite ++.

The Wise Man
04-19-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by clocker@19 April 2003 - 16:47
They're the same. The option is already in K++ editions. Also, even if you have it on, people can still upload from you.

Schmiggy_JK23
04-20-2003, 10:18 AM
just use peer guardian, and dont worry about being called a leech... ;) ;)

J'Pol
04-20-2003, 10:51 AM
Did someone say something about a beer garden, bit early for me.

TIDE-HSV
04-20-2003, 06:16 PM
Remember, Jim, it's always noon someplace (or whatever your "over the yard arm" time is), and, in Bavaria - it's always noon. :lol:

J'Pol
04-20-2003, 08:40 PM
My personal "over the yard arm" is 11:00 hrs. Always has been. However sometimes I have a drink to keep me going till then. Slainte.

clocker
04-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Last night as I was happily posting away here in the Forum, enjoying the benefits of my broadband connection, a message popped up on the screen- " Please don't cut me off!". I IM'd back and discovered that I was talking to a guy(?) in Tunisia. He had been trying to dl a Stan Ridgeway song for weeks and was continually cut off because of his extremely slow speeds and inability to show shared files. Apparently, IPS policies in North Africa are very restrictive and this poor guy was suffering the consequences of appearing to be a "leech".
He got his file- it took almost an hour!- and was profusely grateful.
Just a note to all the generals of the "I hate Leeches" Brigade... the collateral damage in your war may be more extensive than you imagine. It seems to me that the desire of the more fortunate to eradicate the "problem of leeching" may , in fact, be a form of technological elitism. Discrimination against those who, for whatever reason ( legal, hardware, ISP policy), don't measure up to your standards of "sharing". It might be beneficial to put yourself in their position every now and then and learn what it might feel like to be cut off from the advantages that many of us take for granted.
My new Tunisian friend will be dl'ing the K-Lite program today- it will probably take hours- and hopefully will come to the forum where he can explain what Internet usage is like in his part of the world. Maybe folks will see that the "plague of leeching" is in part simply the attempt of the less technologically fortunate to access the network that we play in.
Isn't this sandbox big enough for them too?

J'Pol
04-21-2003, 02:52 PM
Good points, well presented. I agree.

rastilin
04-21-2003, 02:56 PM
If nobody showed the lists the people would'nt be able to selevt them to download. There will always be people who are inconsiderate or stupid. Ignore them, this appliesin equal parts to the "I hate leechers" gang and to the leechers themselves. I sould'nt have to say that you can't tell why you can not see the files.

Schmiggy_JK23
04-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Great post clocker...

I wouldnt consider myself apart of the anti leecher brigade, as its now called... :lol:

but do i see both sides of the fence... but I think I am on this side... I mean... the concept of not wanting leeching in itself is the "you dont get something for nothing"... that is in essence, contradictory to what we do here in general... 95% percent of p2p is just that, something for nothing... so why the double standard i wonder sometimes.

like, we suddenly become moral when someone else isnt partaking in our illigetimacy to the same level we are?

i guess starting off using IRC in the early years, before this all became so easy with p2p, has helped me in this stance... cuz people have, for years, and still do, provide the service on IRC for free, leeches and all...

J'Pol
04-21-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by rastilin@21 April 2003 - 15:56
If nobody showed the lists the people would'nt be able to selevt them to download. There will always be people who are inconsiderate or stupid. Ignore them, this appliesin equal parts to the "I hate leechers" gang and to the leechers themselves. I sould'nt have to say that you can't tell why you can not see the files.
I don't show my lists and people download from me all the time. When they search for a file my version of it is included in their download.

I am also told that, if people try to view large lists it often crashes kazaa. People in this situation have told me (on this board) that they would much rather that I didnīt allow my list to be seen, as it would almost certainly make them crash.

People using other systems which I am on can look at my list. This includes SS and DC++. However that is because these systems work in that way.

Schmiggy_JK23
04-21-2003, 03:23 PM
yeah... i can imagine people could have that problem with my share as well... i share over 3000 files, over 100 gigabytes... bringing that up, could be an issue.

clocker
04-21-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@21 April 2003 - 09:23
yeah... i can imagine people could have that problem with my share as well... i share over 3000 files, over 100 gigabytes... bringing that up, could be an issue.
Bringing that up must be an issue for your system... :P

Schmiggy_JK23
04-22-2003, 12:11 AM
:) :) neg... my system is hella fast... no probs at all...

clocker
04-22-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@21 April 2003 - 18:11
:) :) neg... my system is hella fast... no probs at all...
There's a puddle at the base of my computer's tower. I think it pissed itself when I wrote "100 Gig Shared Folder".

BTW Cartman, if you say "hella" one more time... :lol:

Schmiggy_JK23
04-22-2003, 03:24 AM
ya, my friends think its funny... 80g hd, and a 180g hd... tons and tons of goodies...

Ge4orceOne
04-22-2003, 03:40 PM
Well the ISP I'm with doesnt count upload amounts at all so i dont really care how much people get from me. Bit i do limit the amount of users that can download at once to 2 so the downloads they get from me are still a fairly decent speed.

gnice4now
04-22-2003, 05:26 PM
what isp are you with if you don't mind me asking

chrhein
05-01-2003, 09:09 PM
theyre some good points here... I share around 30 gbs of movies, but i dont let users see the files. In Denmark a lot of ppl get fined for sharing in kazaa, so im not gonna take the chance. Still as long as i am sharing i feel fine, users upload from me all the time, no prob there

superblaat
05-01-2003, 09:20 PM
I dpn't upload to be moral or anything, i'm uploading to make the system work.
you shouldn't upload to prevent yourself from being cut off, you should do it, because if you don't fasttrack wouldn't work (if nobody would share).
i only keep good stuff (stuff I like) on my HD, and I don't mind if other ppl get to enjoy all that too, and in fact it does make me feel good, when i got a new file from a newsgroup and all my slots are filled with users downloading that file.
I presonally don't care about leeches, they can do what they want and I'm just going to stand with my naïve hope that most ppl downloading from me are sharing it when they're done.

Jibbler
05-01-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@21 April 2003 - 11:09
i guess starting off using IRC in the early years, before this all became so easy with p2p, has helped me in this stance... cuz people have, for years, and still do, provide the service on IRC for free, leeches and all...
I've noticed that IRC is slowly being flooded with users due to Ircspy.com, packetnews.com, etc. I have also noticed that some IRC channels will give priority to those people who are serving files, and leechers sometimes get pushed to the end of the que. In the end, IRC is a different community, and it will survive as it has for years. In two years, there may not be a "kazaa", but I assure you, there will always be IRC. B)