PDA

View Full Version : The Chatroom And The Atmosphere There

Skweeky
04-19-2003, 01:48 PM
The atmosphere in KLchat has deteriorated drastically the last few days.

People come in demanding an instant solution for their problems, if we can't give that they starts yelling, spamming or threatening to take the chat down.
We don't mind helping people once in a while, but we can't keep it up like this. Conversation in main chat is no longer possible because of this. There are fights almost all the time.
When we send people to the board they just ignore it and keep spamming/flooding.

I had a talk with some of the ops and most of the regulars. The majority agrees that something has to change.

I would like to ask all people that come in to the chatroom to keep it calm, nice and friendly.

For the moment we have 10(!!) bans on in the mainchat. The chat was there for entertainment originally, for those who like just a little bit more than you can get on the board. For the moment it's just one chaos with 40-50 people constantly in there....and I can assure you that not all of them are nice people....

Maybe people think this topic belongs better in the lounge, but since there is a link on the board AND in the new k-lite, I thought it fitted better in here.

I would like to hear your opinions on all this and possible solutions.

Thanks
;)

stoi
04-19-2003, 02:17 PM
I agree skweeky, i was one of the first ppl in chat, but as soon as the link was put on the site and in the main program, ive tried to avoid it.

I do come in occasionaly now, but its either 50 ppl in there all arguing and trying to get there point accross, or there is 50 ppl in there and the room is dead, as far as i can tell its not often there is a happy medium.

Must admit i liked it better when there were just the select few, like the ones that post regularly on this forum, but now they seem to be coming from all over and IMHO its getting to be quite a mess.

anyway thats just my 2cents and good luck to you mods i think you will need it.

smellycat
04-19-2003, 02:36 PM
Haven't been there for a while (damn work) but there was a good atmosphere when I was last there.
Looks like I've been lucky and missed all the crap. :(

I agree with stoi about the link on the navigation bar of k-lite being the source of the problem.

Suggestions.

1 ) Form a new chatroom with just the regulars. This will break the link with the navigtion bar.
2 ) Have the link to the new chatroom posted on this forum, and viewable only by members.
3 ) Ask the develop team to remove the chat link from the k-lite navigation bar in the next build.

Best wishes.

Skweeky
04-20-2003, 01:39 PM
Smellycat:

yeah, we form rooms occasionally, because we need to discuss things, but it's a bit, I dunno, 'immoral' to make a chat and then leave it when it doesn't work anymore. I think there must be a better solution than that.

I also think that removing the link in the new k-lite might be a good thing......

;)

smellycat
04-20-2003, 02:09 PM
Hi Skweeky,

My suggestion was a bit drastic.
But I think as long as the link is there , you're going to get swamped.
I think you should try and get the link remove from the next build.
Once that's done, the "flood" should peter out.

Yep, I'm immoral. Bad to the bone. :lol:

Best wishes

MusicWorld
04-20-2003, 03:52 PM
;) Going to agree on removing the link because another link is about to be removed.Check out this post.....

RIAA (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=28&t=28575)

xeroxed
04-20-2003, 06:04 PM
Well, I'm back for the momment and since the chat room was where I invested most of my time I'm kinda disapointed. Last time I was here we where TRYING to get a link with the build now you guys want to take it down?

I haven't seen this change since I haven't been here but I'd like to think you guys can find a better way of handling it. We wanted the room to blow up for the longest time and now that it has you guys don't want it? You knew the ass holes would come with it but it's a price to pay. I'm sure you guys can figure something out without taking away it's main source of publicity.

- On a side not I'll be active again here shortly. -

Skweeky
04-20-2003, 07:01 PM
...we all invest our time in the chatroom XeroXed....if it can be handled another way, I'd really like that, but something has to change. It can't go on like this, people are staying away now... :(

Somebody1234
04-20-2003, 07:11 PM
I don't like what has happened to the chatroom but I am not in favor of removing the link from Kazaalite. It serves a purpose for the people using it now. We all knew that there was going to be this 'overflow' of new people. We had even made another room in preparation for it (#Kltops). It seems that now it's forgotten.

Anyway let the users of Kazaalite have the room and we can chat in another room too.

xeroxed
04-20-2003, 07:13 PM
What about a seperate room/link for any questions that need answered, or a disclaimer alongside the link that asks that people either PM an op with there problem or ask it in the forum.

Make it clear that it's not supposed to be a room for Q&A, hopefully that will at least help a little bit.

Skweeky
04-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Somebody: we don't use kltops anymore because Tommy left and it was his room, we can't change anything there without him

XeroXed: that disclaimer would be a good idea I think...Tilen suggested that too

Somebody1234
04-20-2003, 08:25 PM
I only refered to that room to illustrate that we knew the room would have this problem. We can still leave the link and use the other #klregs room. Why take away a feature that serves a purpose?

Skweeky
04-20-2003, 08:41 PM
an ordinary day in chat nowadays:

* Hoag has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
* hotgirl22 has left #klchat
<GummiElfe> eDonkey seems to be rather slow
* mrcall1969 sets mode: +vv eXon gentleman
* mrcall1969 sets mode: -m
<RacerII> emule does not, edonkey has a stupid add
* gentleman has quit IRC (QUIT: gentleman)
* gonca has joined #klchat
* guest659 has joined #klchat
* p2p515762 has joined #klchat
* PROSP has joined #klchat
<p2p515762> XCOPY&nbsp; &nbsp; Copies files and directory trees.
<p2p515762> C:&#092;Documents and Settings&#092;M.A.F.I.A>help<EasterBunny> this isnt a site
<p2p515762> The system cannot find the file specified.
<p2p515762> C:&#092;Documents and Settings&#092;M.A.F.I.A><tilen76> ty
<p2p515762> The syntax of the command is incorrect.
<p2p515762> C:&#092;Documents and Settings&#092;M.A.F.I.A><EasterBunny> its a "server"
<p2p515762> C:&#092;Documents and Settings&#092;M.A.F.I.A>* Hoag has joined #KLchat<p2p515762> C:&#092;Documents and Settings&#092;M.A.F.I.A>* Hoag has joined #KLchat
<p2p515762> &#39;*&#39; is not recognized as an internal or external command,
<p2p515762> operable program or batch file.
* p2p515762 was kicked by K-Lite (Stop flooding&#33;)
* eXon has quit IRC (QUIT: eXon)
<GummiElfe> what about overnet?
* eXon has joined #klchat
* eXon has left #klchat
<klchat1552> edonkey2000.com
* ment has quit IRC (QUIT: )
* p2p515762 has joined #klchat
<p2p515762> hay all
<p2p515762> lol
<p2p515762> XCOPY&nbsp; &nbsp; Copies files and directory trees.
<EasterBunny> poo
<p2p515762> C:&#092;Documents and Settings&#092;M.A.F.I.A>help<EasterBunny> this isnt a site
<p2p515762> C:&#092;Documents and Settings&#092;M.A.F.I.A><tilen76> ty
<p2p515762> The syntax of the command is incorrect.
<p2p515762> C:&#092;Documents and Settings&#092;M.A.F.I.A><EasterBunny> its a "server"
<p2p515762> C:&#092;Documents and Settings&#092;M.A.F.I.A>* Hoag has joined #KLchat
<p2p515762> &#39;*&#39; is not recognized as an internal or external command,
<p2p515762> operable program or batch file.
<p2p515762> C:&#092;Documents and Settings&#092;M.A.F.I.A><RacerII> at the bottom tilen
<EasterBunny> poo
* K-Lite sets mode: +b *&#33;*@p2p-3EA8B9F2.ipt.aol.com* p2p515762 was kicked by K-Lite (Stop flooding&#33;)
<p2p515762> C:&#092;Documents and Settings&#092;M.A.F.I.A><chaz> on this download what ever
<EasterBunny> hahah
<EasterBunny> hes banned
* mrcall1969 sets mode: +vv gonca guest659
* tilen76 sets mode: +v PROSP
<RacerII> overnet has a stupid banner add
<RacerII> overnet has a stupid banner add
* Lefty has quit IRC (Connection reset by peer)
* p2pchat_mirc3 has joined #klchat
* pykeyk has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
* hoyfamily has joined #klchat
<p2pchat_mirc3> .
<GummiElfe> anyone from germany here?
* hoyfamily has left #klchat
<jip> yea
<lynn> brb
* tilen76 sets mode: +v p2pchat_mirc3
* Josi has quit IRC (Connection reset by peer)
<GummiElfe> oder: spricht hier jemand deutsch?
* pisicutarea1 has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
* klchat1934 has joined #klchat
* klchat1934 is now known as Marcin_polska
<jip> yer
<guest971> Another question...

I know it serves well, but sth HAS to be done....I don&#39;t want it to go either, I like chat and I spend a lot of tme in there...

Lamsey
04-20-2003, 08:48 PM
that&#39;s no chatroom&#33;

Noone said anything&#33; :huh:

scribblec
04-20-2003, 10:23 PM
thats why they should make me a mod there

Jibbler
04-20-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Skweeky@19 April 2003 - 08:48
I would like to ask all people that come in to the chatroom to keep it calm, nice and friendly.

Are the people members of this site? Or just IRC users who saw the room and decided to stop in? If the room was +M, then only the Ops and Voices could speak, thus eliminating the problem?

tilen76
04-21-2003, 10:06 AM
I was just about to post this last night, but the topic got closed.

OK, let&#39;s collect our thoughts now:

- The #KLchat rooms used to be a place where a lot of people would have their problems solved and their questions answered. That was when only people from this board used to come to the chat room (and a occasional visitor). Those people knew about the board and knew that they can search for an answer here or even post their problem. It was still possible to chat at the same time.

- Since the link in Kazaalite, there are still people asking for help, but there&#39;s just too much of them at the same time and they ask questions, that are considered annoying (and answered million times) even on this board. It is very annoying and very hard to keep up with.

- We have set a topic for the #KLchat room, which people see when they join the room and reads like that:

&#39;If you have Kazaalite related problems, join this board: http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php , search for the answer or post a question there <--- The home of K++&#39;

- I have noticed a decrease of those &#39;stupid&#39; questions since then. (I&#39;m gueesing there has been a lot of visitors to the board since then too).

- It looks like we have managed to get rid of the majority of people asking those questions now.

- That still leaves us with lots of people trying to chat now. Not all of them will behave themselves. Those who don&#39;t need to be taken care of. That&#39;s why we STILL need people looking after the room. It is not a nice job, but someone has to do it. There&#39;s enough ops now, there&#39;s always at least one present at anytime.

- If the &#39;regulars&#39; move completely to their own room, that will leave the #Klchat without people controling it and I can guarantee you that the room would be a mess in less than a day, but I don&#39;t think it&#39;s our duty to look after a bunch of idiots spamming the room and fighting with each other.

My suggestion:
Leave everything as it is, perhaps make some more people from the board an op (so there&#39;ll be more control) and the regulars (board members) move to their own room for chatting. But we need some sort of disclaimer explaining the situation and telling people who join how to behave and what to do there.
But that would make the chatroom connected to the Kazaalite and not just to the board anymore. Therefore leaving us with the question, who&#39;s responsibility is the chatroom (looking after it).

Please feel free to comment.

(I may have left a lot of my thoughts out since last night when I couldn&#39;t post, so I&#39;ll add them later if I remember them.)

racer II
04-21-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Lamsey@20 April 2003 - 21:48
that&#39;s no chatroom&#33;

Noone said anything&#33; :huh:
Well if you see , i am trying to talk with "GummiElfe" about some p2p programs.
But it really was impossible because "p2p515762" or better known as "killa_sin" was flooding the room with crap (as usual) :(

And tilen i agree with you ;)
The room was a nice place :&#39;(

tracydani
04-21-2003, 02:57 PM
I was wondering about what Jibbler said before this was closed, and apparently the kill_sin references deleted. Can people effectively be banned from both the chat and this forum without being able to re-join with their same IP?

That would be great if possible, at least for the forum. Then we could more easily control the atmosphere and not let things get out of control like some times in the past. :)

Lamsey
04-21-2003, 05:20 PM
Well if you see , i am trying to talk with "GummiElfe" about some p2p programs.
But it really was impossible because "p2p515762" or better known as "killa_sin" was flooding the room with crap (as usual)&nbsp;
Yeah, I see that now. Bit difficult for me to decipher (never liked chatrooms myself).

I&#39;ve got an idea; why don&#39;t we confiscate Killa_Sin&#39;s computer? It seems to me he does nothing but abuse it...

racer II
04-21-2003, 06:07 PM
:lol:
I think that is the solution. ;)

mrcall1969
04-21-2003, 06:14 PM
Well, indirectly because of this I no longer want to do the "mod" job, I don&#39;t want to ban or devoice someone only for someone else to overturn that action a couple of minutes later.

It makes me look like a (bigger) idiot and as if I have a personal problem with one individual.

All I can say is that 1 person is regularly spoiling the room for a lot of regular visitors who go there to chat and never cause any trouble.

Lamsey
04-21-2003, 06:17 PM
Here&#39;s a better idea then, why don&#39;t we kill Killa_Sin?

We could use one of those guns he likes so much... <_<

Never understood gun worship myself... They&#39;re nasty horrible things for making people dead :angry:

mrcall1969
04-21-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@21 April 2003 - 19:17
Here&#39;s a better idea then, why don&#39;t we kill Killa_Sin?

We could use one of those guns he likes so much... <_<

Never understood gun worship myself... They&#39;re nasty horrible things for making people dead :angry:
He&#39;s never held a gun in his life, it&#39;s just the gangsta myth he likes to believe he is a part of.

He should be pitied really, he must be really lonely to go to the lengths that he does.

kiwi
04-23-2003, 12:57 PM
well I enjoy the time I have in the chat room but agree that lately it has become more and more difficult to have a conversation as idiots keep spamming/flooding it

I think that eventually it will sort itself out if the ops can keep on top of things.

My thoughts are to leave it as it is but have a clear set of rules for the room. That way if some idiot does something wrong they will be kicked.

I have learnt so much from the regulars and would hate to see them go elsewhere.

I do like the idea of a room, invite only, where us regulars can chat without the juveniles spoiling it.

I would like to thank all the ops for a great job and hope they can keep it up, you are appreciated by me.

jetje
04-23-2003, 01:53 PM
Paul suggested to notice time and date, sent that along with the used IP nr to the ISP with an line about the abuse. They will filter it out and take away his account. ;)

hawkeye18
04-24-2003, 08:46 PM
well, I am a bona-fide n00b and when I came here, I found the ops and the regs to be not only friendly, but intelligent as well... that&#39;s a rarity these days. I promply became a reg and I haven&#39;t left the chat since I joined. However, I must agree with skweeky. Just yesterday we had a massive DoS attack that we had to call the IRCops in and have them help us. This is not the type of atmosphere we want. Questions are fine, that&#39;s what we&#39;re here for, and chatting is fine, that&#39;s the whole point of IRC. But people spamming, flooding, and calling everybody nasty things are not kosher.

I am a n00b. I am here to stay. I like this room and the people in it. I hope nothing has to change...

Hawk

SuperJude™
04-24-2003, 09:38 PM
Chat is fine and it takes patience. The days of the 15 member chatroom are long gone and that is what happens when things get popular sometimes. The fact is a lot of people have never chated on irc and their first inclination is to treat chat like aol chat, but todays idiot n00b is tomorrows positive member.

Sure there has been a radical change but to be honest, from what I have seen? The ops bear as much responsibility.

Suddenly people were getting kicked for really nothing, and Topics such as "Don&#39;t even ask a/s/l or you will get banned" pop up, and for what? Chat got popular, we all need to deal with it. Since this thread is old maybe the issue got resolved, but after the hack attempt yesterday apparently not eh?

Basically somebody got pissed at chat, then flooded the server with hundreds of bots. It happens. Why I bring this up is cause there is the other thing to think about: with a popular room you will get people who may act like a lamer at first and actually be able to take down the whole server. Something to think about.

As much as I get shit for being so mean or whatever, I really do try to help in chat (that&#39;s why we are there) even when I was "under moderation". I use my limited spanish to help and I think that is the idea.

If people want a club chat atmosphere it can still be there, but the fact is things have changed, and for many people chat is their first link to the k-lite community, and I have seen other ops deride people for not using the board when these people may not ever KNOW there is a board.

I know I am going to hear lots of "but look at you" comments but keep in mind: I kicked ircops not n00bs en masse. Don&#39;t forget that. The people I screw with understand irc and I do not hostily go after n00bs in the manner that I think has started to happen in chat.

Oh well hopefully that little attack yesterday woke people up. Often a little PM can go a long way.

Another thing- rump (one of the ircops) is working on a helpbot program for us that will autoanswer commonly asked questions.

Just saying here I don&#39;t really agree with being negative about being an op when all people wanted was to get popular, and my take is hey, educate these people about irc, mirc, javachat, k-lite etc. and it only benefits us all.

-SJ™

gumbydancin
04-24-2003, 10:27 PM
I understand what SJ is saying, but I was away for a couple weeks and when I came back to the chat room it was completely different. I never like the idea of it being part of the k-lite program because you&#39;ll get anyone and everyone coming in and being less than positive. I liked it the way it was before because you had to become a member of the forum and hang out a bit before you really even knew about the chat room. By then you&#39;ve filtered out most of the people who have nothing positive to offer or merely like to stir things up. Now anyone that&#39;s bored is just gong to pop in and behave like an ass. It&#39;s kinda sad, because if it stays like this I won&#39;t really be in there and I&#39;ve met some great people in that room. Kinda missed everyone when I was gone, and was highly disappointed upon my return. Couldn&#39;t last forever I guess, but there were some real benefits to there only being a link in the forum.

Curley
04-24-2003, 10:31 PM
Here here gumbydancin, thats one of the reasons why I don&#39;t go in there anymore. Maybe when (or if) things get better then i&#39;ll think about paying you guys a visit again&#33; At the moment, i&#39;m happier sticking to msn, yahoo and pm&#39;s through the board.

Skweeky
04-24-2003, 10:31 PM
Yes, I&#39;m very glad rump is helping us with that helpbot, It&#39;ll solve the greatest part of the problem I think.
Most of the time it&#39;s not too hard to deal with the assholes that come in there, but yes, sometimes, likes yesterday, there are these things that happen...

I can only ask the people from k-lite and the board to be nice and friendly in there, most of the time the ops are friendly too ( if someone fed us, that is :lol: ).

peace

gumbydancin
04-24-2003, 10:34 PM
As a side note - I love you&#39;re new avatar Skweeky. It&#39;s kinda fitting. ;) :D

Skweeky
04-24-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by gumbydancin@24 April 2003 - 23:34
As a side note - I love you&#39;re new avatar Skweeky. It&#39;s kinda fitting. ;) :D
thank you gumby :lol: ..............I think :D

can I touch your ass one more time? please? :huh:

gumbydancin
04-24-2003, 10:56 PM
I tried to amend my name but I don&#39;t have enough space. I guess you can touch it once more Skweeky, it&#39;s the least I can do since I&#39;ve never sent you anything more tantalizing. :P :lol: :P

Skweeky
04-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by gumbydancin@24 April 2003 - 23:56
I tried to amend my name but I don&#39;t have enough space. I guess you can touch it once more Skweeky, it&#39;s the least I can do since I&#39;ve never sent you anything more tantalizing. :P :lol: :P
true true....NikkiD got all the fun, and I got nothing :(

gumbydancin
04-24-2003, 11:14 PM
lol, am I supposed to believe she never sent you ANY of those? :huh: That would be surprising. I always assumed you two shared most of that stuff. Well, if that&#39;s the case I&#39;ll send you something one of these times I peek in the chat room (to see if it&#39;s gotten any better), and I&#39;ll owe NikkiD a nice one for keeping my e-virtue intact. :D

edit: oh, and I apologize for turning this thread completely off topic

SuperJude™
04-25-2003, 04:19 PM
Hey I guess the solution is a side chatroom for older members, i have no problem with that and thinks it&#39;s a cool idea. #KLchat seems to be headed a certain direction and if that is the flow of things we must adjust our course and move on with it.

Personally what drew me to KLchat was the closeness of us as board members and I see some of that has disappreared cause of all the new people contantly logging in and out.

On a side note, what is it about javachat users that makes them log on and immediatly try out the smilies? Heh.

But again, it is what it is and maybe it&#39;s going to be pretty much a helpchat, and let the n00bs have their fun while we talk to eachother on a seperate channel?

-SJ™

MusicWorld
04-25-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by SuperJude™@25 April 2003 - 17:19
Hey I guess the solution is a side chatroom for older members, i have no problem with that and thinks it&#39;s a cool idea. #KLchat seems to be headed a certain direction and if that is the flow of things we must adjust our course and move on with it.

Personally what drew me to KLchat was the closeness of us as board members and I see some of that has disappreared cause of all the new people contantly logging in and out.

On a side note, what is it about javachat users that makes them log on and immediatly try out the smilies? Heh.

But again, it is what it is and maybe it&#39;s going to be pretty much a helpchat, and let the n00bs have their fun while we talk to eachother on a seperate channel?

-SJ™
:) Please do this.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN contacted me in a vision while I was sleeping (he does that to certain people) and said he went to the chat room the other day and only recognized a few members from our family. :(

Skweeky
04-25-2003, 07:05 PM
Tell FC that is because we&#39;re all hiding in PM or other rooms :lol: :lol: