PDA

View Full Version : File Sharing through Gmail!! Try GShare!!

geekybunny
12-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Warning: Possible phishing scam, try at your own risk!

On the behalf of the devlopers I welcome you to the new File sharing facility currently hosted at:
*UPDATE*http://www.gshare.in*UPDATE*

You can use your gmail account to login, and you can share the files you are having on your gmail account. Then you can also request the files you want. We don't store your username and password so if someone requests a file then you have to login and serve the request. The site will automatically send your shared file to the person.

For more details please check the website.

Warning: Possible phishing scam, try at your own risk!

Skiz
12-05-2005, 02:57 PM
We've been doing that for awhile here....sort of. :shifty:

Good link though.

Gripper
12-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Hmmm interesting

top25
12-05-2005, 04:48 PM
I new that 2 plus gig of space gmail gives users was gonna be used this way.

pilfer
12-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Oh, this is really good to know. Thanks -- I've just started using my gmail account more. I'll have to look into this.

tree_for
12-07-2005, 04:35 AM
i thght there was already a concept based on this rite?
P2M or something?? it was not so bad until too many pple logged on to e same e-mail accnt at e same time?

zarquon
12-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Login doesnt work, seems like a phising scam to me. Btw he is a spammer, see here

http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=33963

Skiz
12-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Yep, spammer. Good call, and welcome to FST. Someone will be here to steal take your coat shortly. :D

geekybunny
12-07-2005, 04:07 PM
There is a software called Peer2mail. It's working is totally different and as you pointed out it has its limitations such as when alot of people login to the same account at the same time. Peer2mail does not provide you with a convinient file sharing service. You upload the files to your account, then you send the links to the people who want to download it.

GShare is different!!!
Lets see how...
1. In GShare everybody logs into there own Gmail account instead of a single account. So the load is distributed and the performance does not degraded.

2. You log into your account and then allow GShare to scan any part of your inbox for files that could be shared.

3. Once you give the permission to share files, these files appear in the global list of shared files where you can also find names of the files shared by other Gmail accounts.

4. You go there and request files you want by clicking on them and the files will be sent to you in some time.

In this regard GShare's interface is easy and simpler to use.

Just try it!! GShare (http://www.gshare.hostinplace.com/gshare)
If you face any problems post it here or mail me at [email protected]

Skiz
12-07-2005, 04:11 PM
4. You go there and request files you want by clicking on them and the files will be sent to you in some time.

Why do this when I can download now from any number of filesharing programs?

thewizeard
12-07-2005, 04:20 PM
so it's you lot slowing my emails down!

geekybunny
12-07-2005, 04:21 PM
For those people who think that this is a scam, please create a new account in Gmail and then try out the service before giving your suggesstions. One thing, somebody at zeropaid forum entered wrong username and password and they were sent to a error page by the browser and from that they concluded that its a scam. :frusty:

My request is not to believe these rumors and try out the service with a new gmail account for your security.

Current stats of our service is :

Total no of Shared files: 2548
Total size of shared files: 4225.20 MB
Total no. of users: 438

Happy Sharing!!

GShare Team

geekybunny
12-07-2005, 04:32 PM
People will use this service because :

1. Just upload the files only once during which your bandwidth will be used. After that just share, as that file will never be required to be uploaded again.
2. You can download the files whenever you want, regardless of the status of the machine of the person who mailed you the file.
3. File download is very fast. Its not like rapidshare which allows downloads at speed low limits.
4. With a single click you can send hundreds of files to hundreds of people.And then those people can share the files by seeding them...

These are some of the advantages of GShare and there are lots more...

Since this service is new, there might be a number of features that are not yet implemented. You can help us develope this service. Please post your valuable suggesions and ideas!!

Just try the service yourself and login to GShare (http://gshare.hostinplace.com/gshare)

:) GShare

thewizeard
12-07-2005, 05:07 PM
do you werk with some sort of index then, because 4000 mb's doesnt offer much choice.

I know Gmail is used for these purposes, why, I have sent a few files myself...but if it becomes organised, it could " spoil" it for others and their incidental exchanges...

Skiz
12-07-2005, 05:19 PM
I don't really see the advantages, but I'll test it out before commenting more.

tesco
12-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Added a disclaimer until we're sure this isn't a scam.

If the disclaimer is removed or this is a scam, the thread will be trashed.

geekybunny
12-07-2005, 06:17 PM
We got no problem with that disclaimer.

Its just hurts to see that when we have given so much of effort to make this service working, people like zarquon ruin our image just because they are autistic. I am sure of one thing, Zarquon never even made a single line of code which could do ANYONE any good leave alone doing anything helpful to people.

@zarquon
I know you simply ruined that zeropaid.com thread. But thankfully the moderators here are not that stupid. They found an alternate way of statisfying everyone including us.

Why don't you give Auggie2k a link of this thread to show him how REAL MODERATING is done?

I again thank all the moderators here. I am sure that we will keep our good work for the P2P community, and soon going to release something even better.

Meanwhile you can help us to improve this service.

To remove any kind of suspicion we did give a testing account service, but the problem was that now we are getting more than 2000 hits per day, so we cannot simply let that thing go.

PS:I am also open for suggestion from other members who can tell us ways to make service LOOK more reliable. One thing is for sure, at no stage we take anyone's password or username.

Filliz
12-07-2005, 09:14 PM
I really don't see this having any future.
Gdrive is already something that Google is (trying to) block so people don't use their gmail account as a storage space for their stuff, so my guess is once they catch up on this they'll send you a nice email.

thewizeard
12-08-2005, 08:30 AM
..You did not address my post.. geekbunny ..it's no use being selective in what you read and reply on!

It's also no use blaming others (zarquon) if he or/ someone else notices pitfalls in your system. You are actually being helped, and made aware of future problems! No point hiding you head in the sand!

.... suggesting that the moderators here are not that stupid ...( you must be kidding .:lol:. j/k ) ....oh and and one of my friends is a moderator on zeropaid...

I am sure Google never misses any copyright infringements, and sooner or later every one who use your service, will be traceable :(

Why not try to develop something original,..erm ...like...hang on it will come to me soon... file-sharing for mobile phones.... :cool:

tree_for
12-08-2005, 02:22 PM
tats a intresting concept :FS on mobile phone..

anyway I think this might not be a phishing...
I could login with my trashed g-mail accnt... but nothing much there thou!

geekybunny
12-08-2005, 03:04 PM
It's also no use blaming others (zarquon) if he or/ someone else notices pitfalls in your system.
Pitfalls!!! Do you actually think getting the devlopers BANNED without any solid proof from a file sharing forum is really helping us in any manner. I am sorry for that.

Basically we are not into other file sharing networks much because NONE of them works across Universities across firewalls.

My focus is Indian users who don't give a damn to sharing because its not that cheap to GIVE stuff here. In my service all you have to do is to give ONLY once. After that you are just releasing the requests.

I guess someone was asking that how is GShare better then the other P2P services, well the main reasons are:
1) If 10 people download from you one 1MB file then you spend 10 MB of your upload bandwidth in any other P2P networks(except for torrents), in GShare you spend only 1MB for serving the file to 10 or even 100 people.
2) It works on HTTP protocol.

I was thinking of developing a decentralized version of this service. Comments appreciated.

And we are well aware that as soon as Google finds about our service they will mail us. Till that time I wanna find a walkaround for it.

thewizeard
12-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Well, if you knew by making that post, you would have got banned, would you still have made it? Those are the pitfalls...

Most Uni's have the ports blocked that you would otherwise wish to use for file-sharing...but there are ports, that they cannot block :) Those we used to use. The risk of getting caught, is rather high...expulsion.

Edit: I always feel that if you wish to make a post, that could cause problems, that it is always wise to contact a moderator first, a wise man counts for two or something....Which reminds me of ..

A man was driving down the road when he approached a bridge over a river. Just before the bridge, there was a warning sign: " This bridge is only capable of supporting one passenger!" so the man being alone drove over the bridge, the bridge promptly collapsed, his car plunged into into the water and he drowned... When he arrived in heaven :) he asked an Angel why the bridge collapsed while he was alone in the car.The Angel replied, ... " A wise man counts for two! "

nanotek
12-10-2005, 01:17 PM
ive actually found a much better way to file share recently :shifty:

i send dvds per post across germany with ppl ive met on the net :P

geekybunny
12-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Well, if you knew by making that post, you would have got banned, would you still have made it? Those are the pitfalls...
No, I had no idea that I would be banned for making such a post on a FILE-SHARING forum which seems to be a center for all kind of contravercy.

If tomorrow RIAA sues you(God forsaken they do) but if they do then will you be simply go to Jail without giving back a fight because you are aware of the fact that you may go to Jail for violating copyright.

I don't think there is any such term which means 'One who uses P2P network only to share legel files' or 'One who believes in sharing only and only his own stuff'.

See I don't have any kind of grudge against the fact that our intentions were doubted, but why couldn't that forum moderator Auggie2k do an intelligent thing like this moderator did. And even if it were a mistake he also banned the other developer to take the side, and just not that HE EDITED THE POST MY CO-DEVELOPER MADE AFTER BANNING HIM INTO A PERSONAL INSULT SPREE. I doubt that everywhere moderators are like that.

thewizeard
12-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Hey...not all moderators are as intelligent as our moderators :)

I believe you, when you say you are trying to develop some file sharing system for students. To beat the port blocking.. It's just that it's well know that on gmail, nothing ever gets deleted...even when it goes in the trash bin. So, if or when the RIAA (for example), or if some American court, orders Google to cough up all the names and addresses, then ...

geekybunny
01-30-2006, 11:03 AM
First of all this is simply not true that they(GOOGLE) will never delete any files.

Second thing, there is no way for Google to differentiate between behaviour of an actual user, and our script.

Anyways, GShare is moved to the new servers:
http://www.gshare.in

Busyman
01-30-2006, 11:39 AM
First of all this is simply not true that they(GOOGLE) will never delete any files.

Second thing, there is no way for Google to differentiate between behaviour of an actual user, and our script.

Anyways, GShare is moved to the new servers:
http://www.gshare.in
The link is no good.

nvm

sky
02-06-2006, 12:16 AM
One thing i dont understand is "File Size" last i knew emails in Gmail could not be larger than 10MB, so to me it doesnt seem worth it to look for files if you cant get anything bigger than that.

thewizeard
02-13-2006, 03:49 PM
...come on... that's a nice size to be able to send a romantic song to your lover, or would be lover, for Valentines day...