PDA

View Full Version : Help connecting/configuring Sweex Broadband Router

tralalala
12-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Hi guys..

First off, this is the router I bought: http://sweex.com/product.asp?pid=302

Second, the problem:
I connected the WAN part of the router to my cable connection box, and the number 1 port to my PC's network card.
Then, I connected 2 and 3 to 2 other computers who also have a network card (duhh...).

Now, a friend of mine said there was no configuring to do, and yes, the router started working for about 2 minutes then all fell... I did as the booklet said with renewing an IP adress and all of that, and my friend also gave a few hours into doing this work..
Eventually I phoned the ISP, who did not help me much eaither.

Anyone know what I need to do? I have a dialup-cable connection with ACTCOM.co.il as my ISP. I am having great difficulties and frustration trying to do this thing, and have wasted much time on it.

thanks to all helpers

tesco
12-05-2005, 11:56 PM
What does it do or not do?

tralalala
12-06-2005, 10:58 AM
It's MEANT to do this: I connect it to my PC, then to 2 more PC's at home, then the internet is shared amongst the PC's.
It doesn't do this - It works for like 2 minutes, then it fell and that was it, I couldn't get it to work at all.. My question is - is there any "special" configuration settings I need to do to get it to work?

I am out of ideas, and I have wasted loads of time on this, and it's frustrating me so much.....

tesco
12-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Well define 'fell'. That's what I want to know.
What does it stop doing? Drop the internet connection? Drop the network? Stop transferring data altogether or just internet data?

Wolfmight
12-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Sounds like a crappy router.
Get a Linksys router and it'll keep those computers connected with a configuration you could always play with.
Get a Linksys Switch and that'll split the connection pronto without any configuration needed.

tralalala
12-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Well, as I said, this freind of mine took the router home, and it worked perfect, no screw-ups..

Here the connection falls all the time (@rossco: stops working, the connection stops working). I find it very odd thinking it worked for a few minutes then stopped for no good reason, and at another house it works perfectly ok.....

lynx
12-07-2005, 08:24 PM
When it falls (I think you mean fails or drops), can you still access the router itself via its local IP address (default is 192.168.2.1)?

Make sure you've got only one pc connected when you try the connection. You can add others later, but you need to know if it works with only one pc connected (if you haven't already tried it that way).

Are you using the same ISP as your friend? If so, did your friend have to enter his mac address or use the "clone mac address" function? If that's the case you have his mac address and any requests your system makes will probably be routed to his system. You need to reset the router's mac address to default, then restart the router.

tralalala
12-07-2005, 08:59 PM
the router is connected to my PC, and it (my PC) connects fine to the internet. Thing is - any other PC I connect simply doesn't seem to "want" to connect through the router.. :angry:

Wolfmight
12-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Any firewalls on the other pcs?
Make sure the correct IPs are alowed in ones such as Zonealarm.

lynx
12-08-2005, 12:01 AM
the router is connected to my PC, and it (my PC) connects fine to the internet. Thing is - any other PC I connect simply doesn't seem to "want" to connect through the router.. :angry:You gave the impression that after a couple of minutes nothing worked, not that the extra pcs did not connect.

That's the sort of information rossco has been asking you for. It is very difficult to diagnose what's wrong if you only tell us what you think is relevant, particularly when you obviously haven't got a clue what's relevant and what isn't.

Do you think you could answer my other questions, or do you think they aren't relevant either?

tesco
12-08-2005, 12:19 AM
the router is connected to my PC, and it (my PC) connects fine to the internet. Thing is - any other PC I connect simply doesn't seem to "want" to connect through the router.. :angry:
And what does that mean?

Do the computers get IP adresses? Can you see other computers on your network? Does internet ocnnection work?

tralalala
12-08-2005, 11:40 AM
The PC's say that the router is connected, but the internet doesn't work on them, and can you please explain what you meant by if I can access the router through the local IP address..??

thewizeard
12-08-2005, 04:51 PM
Simply, can you log into you router? That's where you will need to probably make adjustments. If what lynx mentioned, is the right log in address,then just type it into your IE , then you should access the log-in page of your router. Often the log in password is admin or epicrouter...or something :)

lynx
12-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Simply, can you log into you router? That's where you will need to probably make adjustments. If what lynx mentioned, is the right log in address,then just type it into your IE , then you should access the log-in page of your router. Often the log in password is admin or epicrouter...or something :)Hey, have you been logging in to my router? :angry:

:P

thewizeard
12-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Yes, I was using the "or something" password. :) ..you, of all people, should have realised, that that one was far too easy to guess. :P

tralalala
12-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Yes I can access it, and my computing mate fiddled with the settings there forever and we still couldn't get it to work.. :(

Phoned my ISP to see if they support it and they were no use. I think I'll just phone up the place I got the router from and as them if they can be of any help..

thewizeard
12-10-2005, 11:55 AM
maybe you can get someone to remotely log in and set it up for you...I have downloaded the manual..and it seems quite straight forward..just need to know the ip addresses from your computers and what applications (ports) are needed..lynx seems to know how...and is presumably trustworthy :)