PDA

View Full Version : Soulseek Users Beware....

N£MO
04-19-2003, 07:43 PM
Yesterday it was bought to my attention by a member on soulseek who reported that they had a connection forcefully closed on soulseek from the RIAA.

I was going to post a warning yesterday but decided to wait and see what happens as i always use Peer Guardian.

Well today about an hour ago i had a connection forcefully closed from Warner Music Group.This is this first i have had a connection forefully closed since i started using soulseek.

It looks like the anti piracy wa**ers are now targetting soulseek,so if any of our members dont already do so i highly recommend getting Peer Guardian and getting your bad IP's updated regularly.

You can get the latest version here (http://www.simplyclick.org/uploadertest/pg2.asp)...this version nows supports updating bad IP's by PGDAT,this is similar to sig2dat in that you just click on a range and this is added to your Peer Guardian. :)

"The Avatar Man"
04-20-2003, 01:51 AM
what is having a connection forcefully closed?

MusicWorld
04-20-2003, 06:43 AM
<_< Why do you think the thread was put in the members section?For this exact reason.Some of us was very worryed about this happening.Reason the room is called what it is.

The RIAA is here and watching...have always said that.But now look at the number of members we have.

Somebody said it before(will not mention his name) and I will repeat it.SoulSeek will not last long for a simple reason....they have something that the RIAA wants.

Enjoy it while you can.....we will go someplace else when it is gone.....really no biggie.

But the next time for sure we or should I say he,will not be posting about where we are on this forum. :ermm: :unsure:

ijc_2003
04-20-2003, 07:00 AM
also beware when using soulseek

my freind was downloading some music from a user and clicked into his shared folder to download some songs from him next thing he had about 200,000 songs in his downloads games application all sorts were downloading into his shared folder and when you delteted them they just kept coming back, i had to manually delete all the songs and programs which took over an hour to get rid, he had no viruses and does have a firewall to. very strange.

N£MO
04-20-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by "The Avatar Man"@20 April 2003 - 02:51
what is having a connection forcefully closed?
It is Peer Guardians way of blocking an attempt from one of the bad IP&#39;s in its list.

Icey
04-20-2003, 12:07 PM
i done wat nemo said and i have had about 30 blocks in about 1 hr&#33;&#33; all riaa&#33; i highly recomend this to every 1 :angry:

smellycat
04-20-2003, 03:58 PM
I only installed it yesterday. Since then I had 30 yesterday and about 12 today.

Wasn&#39;t sure they were false alarms until I read this thread.

If you haven&#39;t got it then Get Off your arse and download it&#33;&#33; :ph34r:

UKMan
04-20-2003, 05:29 PM
Hmm - i&#39;m a SS user :ph34r:

No idea how serious this is and im usually very cautious about taking stuff like this seriously anyway. But just to be on the safe side, i have added those zones to my firewall - i dont use PG - but it was easy enough. Lets see if i get any of these - hits - then i shall report back.

If it turns out to be true - then great work N£MO and THX ;)

Allways be VERY carefull who you add in SS - these days most of you have been too easy accepting anyone who just asks - i dont - and i get hammered for it - now im gonna hammer back. In other words my Buddies list is gonna get cleaned out - from now on yas all gonna have to prove your worth <_<

Only those i have been dealing with from this forum for a long time are gonna stay on it untill otherwise noted &#33;&#33;

Allways use a firewall anyway folks - if ya dont, then ya asking for it anyway <_<

Peace
UKMan

Luca_Snipes
04-20-2003, 06:54 PM
Having had a stupid amount of blocks by PeerGuardian this morning I&#39;m going to take the same view as UKMan, and remove people from my list in SoulSeek untill i can confirm who they are.
It did prompt me to make sure all my servers, firewall (that had logged some things too :&#39;( ) etc are upto date and properly configured though, now what the heck were those ports i had open <_<

porkshit
04-20-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by N£MO@19 April 2003 - 20:43
You can get the latest version here (http://www.simplyclick.org/uploadertest/pg2.asp)
the link works sends me to the site but when itry to d/l PG it gives me that file not found bullshit. anybody know where else to get it??

N£MO
04-20-2003, 07:56 PM
If you cant get it from the above site,try here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tim.leonard1/pg/PeerGuardian_v1.95b.zip).

Have helped 2 members install PG today and they have both reported &#39;connections closed from RIAA&#39;....so you have all been warned.

Following UKMan and Luca i too am cleaning up my buddy list.

dingoBaby
04-20-2003, 09:37 PM
I had several connections closed by the MPAA. My slsk is shut down for a while anyway. I am at the girlfriends parents for Easter and a few days vacation. Before I left I did what UKMan did and cleaned out the buddy list.

ToddM
04-21-2003, 12:44 AM
Im going to take your advice and make the required additions/changes now - and I may be asking some of you for your help, if I get lost in the process.

Thanks for the posts eveyone&#33;

Todd M

vivitron 15
04-21-2003, 05:15 PM
thanks for this guys...i installed PG awhile ago and have to admit to not updating perhaps as much as i should, but i got the new version, and installed, and ive cleaned my list up, but now im stuck...how do update the ips, do i just go to the main page (http://www.simplyclick.org/uploadertest/pg2.asp) every now and then and click on the all the hyperlinks? or is there kinda a regular update or....?

thanks

Viv

N£MO
04-21-2003, 05:38 PM
Today about 2 hours ago i checked my Peer Guardian and saw this:

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/2269907.jpg

They are keen on checking me out&#33;&#33;That photo is after i have already scrolled down a bit....

They can keep on trying but they wont get in :lol:

EDIT...My version of Peer Guardian is an ealier version that uses less resources.

vivitron 15
04-21-2003, 05:56 PM
ok, my good friend Nemo helped me out with this query a little earlier....basically go to the page i mentioned and click on all the links to add them to the block list. Do this every now and then, and the miserable fileshare-killers will be banished from your PC.... :P

nahan
04-22-2003, 06:51 AM
zone alarm does the same thing, your almost undetectible.
Besides there is too many easy targets out there for them to come and shut me down.

N£MO
04-22-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by nahan@22 April 2003 - 07:51
Besides there is too many easy targets out there for them to come and shut me down.
Zone Alarm does not do the same thing as PG,try reading up on a subject before you post in it. ;)

There are too many easy targets out there and you are one of them,same as anyone else using k-lite.The anti piracy groups have been targeting k-lite for a long time now and i get far more connections closed in k-lite then i have ever had on soulseek.

Had 6 more RIAA attempts blocked during the night,that i woke up to this morning.

They keep on knocking but they can&#39;t get in&#33;&#33; :lol:

opivy
04-22-2003, 07:18 AM
I to installed PG thanks Nemo for the help with that.
I have had 15 conenctions close in 24hours so come on people get this installed and be carefull

nahan
04-22-2003, 07:37 AM
Ill take your word for it .Its good to be reassured .

Thanks Nemo your an asset to us all.

marlowe_is_dead
04-22-2003, 02:35 PM
fucking riaa; I hope someone bombs their HQ

the_faceman
04-22-2003, 05:35 PM
i&#39;d just like to add that you still have to be careful. PG is good, very useful, and reduces the risk by quite a bit, but it&#39;s not foolproof, so please don&#39;t think that you can throw caution to the wind.

Be careful folks, thats all i&#39;m saying.... :ph34r:

Wolfmight
04-23-2003, 12:11 AM
Yes, i downloaded a whole some songs off Soulseek that only played a voice saying... THIS MATERIAL IS PROPERTY OF UNIVERSAL RECORDING STUDIOS. annyoin eh.

I only purchase albums for my very favorite artists. (ya know, so they dont stop playin hehe)

Luca_Snipes
04-23-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@23 April 2003 - 01:11
I only purchase albums for my very favorite artists. (ya know, so they dont stop playin hehe)
if i like an album i&#39;ll buy it (assuming it&#39;s available over here), what the RIAA, MPAA etc need to realise is that if they droped their prices, did a single internatonal release date etc etc, they would cut priacy by a bit, and in europe it&#39;s all about the fact that the US gets it all first, in the UK more than elsewhere - the prices are all fixed, far above the actual cost etc

I&#39;ve said it before, and I&#39;ll say it agian, the US film and music industry needs to wake up and realise that the US is no longer isolated, we are now a global society, and need to be treated as such

and back on topic, been hit several times today, both PG and my firewall setups are working hard :(

N£MO
04-23-2003, 06:59 AM
Thats very true Luca,we always seem to pay over the odds for goods here compared to our American friends.

I am downloading music that i just wouldn&#39;t bu normally,am using soulseek to broaden my musical horizons.

I do still buy albums,but tend to get them from my local record shop then one of the big ones....HMV,Virgin,wouldn&#39;t shop there if you paid me.

Soulseek is back up now&#33;&#33; :D

UKMan
04-24-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by N£MO+22 April 2003 - 08:02--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (N£MO @ 22 April 2003 - 08:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--nahan@22 April 2003 - 07:51
Zone Alarm does not do the same thing as PG,try reading up on a subject before you post in it. ;)

There are too many easy targets out there and you are one of them,same as anyone else using k-lite.The anti piracy groups have been targeting k-lite for a long time now and i get far more connections closed in k-lite then i have ever had on soulseek.

Had 6 more RIAA attempts blocked during the night,that i woke up to this morning.

They keep on knocking but they can&#39;t get in&#33;&#33; :lol: [/b][/quote]
Hi N£MO - in one respect you are correct about ZA "does not do the same thing as PG" - but only in the fact you have to configure it manually. In other words, it does have the same effect - its just not as easy. Any IP ranges you put into the "blocked" zone will in effect be blocked and a log record is created for you to look at. IMHO ZA, whilst not being the most user friendly of firewalls, still is one of the best out there. But having said that, IMHO PG is probably one of the most user friendly ones ;)

Ive been using ZA Pro for well over a year and have had no problems with it (so far).

Peace
UKMan

PS - if SS is up and running again - i would like to start placing bets as to when it goes down again - the bidding starts at &#036;5 - 24 hrs, &#036;10 - 48 hrs :D

Ad
04-24-2003, 02:50 AM
thanks nemo for the links but the the hell is this all about i dont quite understand it is it to do with blocking iPS like a firewall is that what it is i just dont know what this means :huh: :blink:

marine_aart
04-24-2003, 05:10 AM
hmm, can they destroy soulseek? my soulseek isnt working anymore :&#39;( , but it stopped working before this warning. soulseek site seems down (the download section) so I am waiting for guitar-slinger to send soulseek trough MSN :D , I am going to download PG right now, tnx for tip memo, and I will be back :P

MusicWorld
04-24-2003, 05:20 AM
:) For anybody who is worryed about SoulSeek being down it has nothing to do with the RIAA.I do thank Nemo for pointing this out to people with the IPs and all the other help he has given to people who use SoulSeek.....TY my freind. :)

Please follow the link below for more info.....

Info On The Status Of SoulSeek (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=28&t=29394)

Kokanee
04-24-2003, 05:22 AM
PS - if SS is up and running again - i would like to start placing bets as to when it goes down again - the bidding starts at &#036;5 - 24 hrs, &#036;10 - 48 hrs
I&#39;ll put &#036;1000 on 30 minutes :D

marine_aart
04-24-2003, 05:23 AM
it isnt down, it says soulseek instalation is corrupt, but it worked before :blink: :huh:

Ad
04-26-2003, 01:42 PM
truly excellent work Nemo

UKMan
04-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Seems to me that these days SS is down more often than its up&#33; I know its only BETA and its free - but its getting rather annoying to say the least&#33;

I hope RIAA is having the same problems though - ha ha&#33;&#33;

Maybe time to move on to another solution - shame though - its a good source of music :(

Peace
UKMan

J'Pol
04-26-2003, 04:10 PM
Any ideas UK

MusicWorld
04-26-2003, 04:13 PM
;) I got an idea.....maybe UKMan can start showing up on SoulSeek more to discuss this. :P

N£MO
04-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by adthomp@26 April 2003 - 14:42
truly excellent work Nemo
Cheers adthomp.

I havn&#39;t had any blocks from Peer Guardian for a few days now,hopefully the RIAA have got the message that they wont succeed trying to get into our computers.

Still always well worth using it as you never know when they might pay us a visit.

As for moving im not sure if its worth it.It&#39;s not that much of a problem when it goes down as plenty of other ways to share music for the time that it is down.

opihiboy
04-26-2003, 11:31 PM
wat exactly does the RIAA do??? Do they stop us from sharing or something? i thought that it wasnt illegal to share music...?

porkshit
04-27-2003, 12:08 AM
um no since pretty much all the music you download is pirated. the yare rips from cd&#39;s. you arent supposed to copy or give copies to people.

the_faceman
04-27-2003, 12:08 AM
lol, not another one...jeez.....go here

It&#39;s Amazing That Some People Think That Sharing Copyrighted Music Is Legal..... (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=28&t=29489)

chloe_cc2002
04-27-2003, 12:30 AM
my freind was downloading some music from a user and clicked into his shared folder to download some songs from him next thing he had about 200,000 songs in his downloads games application all sorts were downloading into his shared folder and when you delteted them they just kept coming back, i had to manually delete all the songs and programs which took over an hour to get rid, he had no viruses and does have a firewall to. very strange.

?????????

Can this be accidental or are you suggesting that this might have been by way of design?

porkshit
04-27-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by the_faceman@26 April 2003 - 19:08
lol, not another one...jeez.....go here

It&#39;s Amazing That Some People Think That Sharing Copyrighted Music Is Legal..... (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=28&t=29489)
haha faceman i know its incredible

opihiboy
04-29-2003, 08:41 AM
can the RIAA close down my soulseek connection? i&#39;ve been on soulseek before, but now it always says that it cannot connect to the server, but when i check the server status on soulseek homepage, it says that the server is up and running...

opihiboy
04-29-2003, 08:45 AM
oops... sry i just went back to the soulseek homepage and realized that i didnt have the latest version :blink: it works now... sry about this.

marine_aart
04-29-2003, 09:18 AM
0 blocks in 10 hours or something, do they pick random persons? some people have over 1000 blocks

N£MO
04-29-2003, 10:03 AM
Sometimes i can go for days without getting a connection closed and then all of a sudden i will get a few hits in an hour or so.Guess they sort of come in waves.I had a couple of hits yesterday but went for 3 days without any hits before then.

chloe_cc2002 Posted on 27 April 2003 - 01:30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE&nbsp;

?????????

Can this be accidental or are you suggesting that this might have been by way of design?

I have done this by accident before too.Had a few thousand to delete and took me hours...
The problem is when you do a search, if someone hasn&#39;t got their mp3&#39;s in folders and you click on a few files to download.Rather then just download the files you want it downloads their entire folder.Just be weary of this.