PDA

View Full Version : I hate DIY

sArA
12-09-2005, 01:18 PM
I promised to get my daughters bedroom done in time for Christmas.....

Running out of time, so thought I would skive today and paint the cupboard doors...but no...never that simple is it?

I empty the cupboard and the whole inside needs doing so I still can't start the doors....why is it when you start a job, it always leads to another one...:angry:

Yogs
12-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Well, that 's why i mostly DDIY.........:D

Buffalo
12-09-2005, 01:36 PM
I love decorating, I was doing to whole house until my split up, things have been put on hold a bit :(

I'm in Norfolk if you were close I'd get my Brush out and help you out, I'm damn good at DIY, well i've had 15 years experience as my ex was a lazy sod lol

I'm sure you will get it sorted sara!

Good luck! Love from Baz

MagicNakor
12-09-2005, 02:08 PM
I don't mind decorating either...except I can't seem to find furniture in the colours I'm wanting.

Not that it matters right now, since I couldn't afford it anyway, but I really do need a duvet. :P

:shuriken:

sArA
12-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Funny,but on clearing the cupboard I ended up throwing 4 duvet's down the tip! sorry MN

I don't mind the decorating so much, its the prep that really pisses me off, particularly when you are trying to bodge round some very dodgy plaster.....

clocker
12-09-2005, 02:19 PM
its the prep that really pisses me off, particularly when you are trying to bodge round some very dodgy plaster.....
Your plaster can move?
Oh boy, this is much worse than we thought.

Time to bring in the pros.

Guillaume
12-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Well, that why i mostly DDIY.........:D
HSEDIIYS* is even better. :01:

*Have Someone Else Do It In Your Stead

Yogs
12-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Well, that 's why i mostly DDIY.........:D
HSEDIIYS* is even better. :01:

*Have Someone Else Do It In Your Stead

Thanks, that was what i meant.....:shifty:

Though i like HSEDIIYSAWHS* even more.....:naughty:

*Have Someone Else Do It In Your Stead And Watch Him/Her Suffer.

Buffalo
12-09-2005, 02:35 PM
I did manage to get my living room done in time for crimbo!
http://www.sheringhamsurf.com/fst/buffalo_home1.jpg

Lots to sort yet, but I guess it will be in the new year for the rest of the house.
as you say Sara preparation is everything but small jobs can become very large Jobs, at my old house down the beach the walls were full of salt, so fixing bulging plaster was a matter of removing everthing back to the flintwork, big job.

Yogs
12-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Well, i did isolate/wrap our house all on my own!!!:01:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y190/shannon28/Snowy002.jpg

Buffalo
12-09-2005, 02:44 PM
That is well cool Yogi, Now that reminds me of my first home in a van up the woods, it was a cool 3 years, I loved it, well wild with nature!

Yogs
12-09-2005, 02:54 PM
That is well cool Yogi, Now that reminds me of my first home in a van up the woods, it was a cool 3 years, I loved it, well wild with nature!

It can get a tad cold at times and we pray the water won't be shut off for

a few more weeks(normally it's shut off beginning of November, but the owner

of the camping leaves it on for us and another couple as long as it doesn't

freeze too much....), but i really love the silence here.....:D

I can play my music as loud as i want and no unexpected visitors!!!:01:

Our electric bill will be very high, but that's still cheaper than what we paid

last year for the big trailer we rented then.

I was actually just kidding boat the DIY, cos i did a lot of that lately just

to be able to stay here for the winter.

I also made some heating for the rabbits and guineapigs, so they can stay

outside.

With just two 40 watt lamps and two tin cookiejars!!!:D
(pics later!)

Yogi

Buffalo
12-09-2005, 03:18 PM
this was my late fathers home for 4 years, when i moved in with him I stayed in that van till i got my own, it was well cosy.
I got a two birth van but the problem was damp in the mornings, but soon got it dried out.
my heating was an old cole burner from an old van, the heat was well good.
water was via a hose pipe as well
I loved cooking on an open fire.
I would never give up those memories, yes it was damn hard some days in the winter, but it made me.

http://www.sheringhamsurf.com/fst/van-hb.jpg

And a picture of me 1991 outside the workshop
http://www.sheringhamsurf.com/fst/workshop.jpg

Yes, Good times, indeed

HeavyMetalParkingLot
12-09-2005, 03:35 PM
...but the problem was damp in the mornings, but soon got it dried out.

Puberty is a bitch....

Yogs
12-09-2005, 04:06 PM
this was my late fathers home for 4 years, when i moved in with him I stayed in that van till i got my own, it was well cosy.
I got a two birth van but the problem was damp in the mornings, but soon got it dried out.
my heating was an old cole burner from an old van, the heat was well good.
water was via a hose pipe as well
I loved cooking on an open fire.
I would never give up those memories, yes it was damn hard some days in the winter, but it made me.

http://www.sheringhamsurf.com/fst/van-hb.jpg

And a picture of me 1991 outside the workshop
http://www.sheringhamsurf.com/fst/workshop.jpg

Yes, Good times, indeed

Thanks!!!:)

I like your stories and pictures!!!:)

Glad to hear we're not the only nutters that actually really enjoy living the hard life!!!:D :01:

Lot of peeps might think it's about the money, but it actually costs about the same

as a regular house(rented), cos of the high energy-bill.

I just totally enjoy the isolation here and being in the woods all the time.:cool:

Officialy it is illegal to live in a touristic place, but happily we live in that one

city, that couldn't care less!!:rolleyes:

Actually half of the council's office employees lives in a caravan!!!:lol:

(though no one at a place as beautiful as ours.....:D )

vidcc
12-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Go for the Mr. bean method of painting..... mask everything that you don't want to paint and then put a big firework in the can of paint....light and run.

lynx
12-09-2005, 05:12 PM
put a big firework in the can of paint....light and run.Damn, that's where I went wrong. :(

Gripper
12-09-2005, 08:04 PM
I've got a 3 bedroom feckin house to decorate by the 17th,I'll do ya cupboard,you do me house....Fair swap :)

maebach
12-09-2005, 09:03 PM
and you'll take care of the coats?

Gripper
12-09-2005, 11:52 PM
2coats plus under coat for the glosswork!!

Buffalo
12-09-2005, 11:59 PM
One year I tried acrylic primer, what a load of crap, it's a waste of time.
i'd never use it again.
i stick to oil based primer, great stuff!

tesco
12-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Go for the Mr. bean method of painting..... mask everything that you don't want to paint and then put a big firework in the can of paint....light and run.
And don't forget your hat in the apartment.:P

Gripper
12-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Those one coat paints are shite as well

Buffalo
12-10-2005, 12:10 AM
Those one coat paints are shite as well

I've never used them, the trouble using crap like that is it short term & looks shit.
i live in an old fisherman cottage, I like taking it back to the old wood, Good primer, and i use crown undercoat & gloss.
the trouble is I smoke, so it's a yearly job

Gripper
12-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Yeah I heard you was hawt :lol:

sArA
12-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Well, the inside of the cupboard is done.....now for the doors....and the windowsill.....and, and, and.....

@ clocker...getting the professionals in is not an option as the room really needs completely re-plastering and that is just not possible as my daughter has nowhere else to sleep and it takes a week or so to dry out. Plus I am not intending on staying here for more than a couple of years now as me and BF are going to get a bigger house, therefore I know its a bit bad but we are leaving that problem for the new people. The rest of the house is fine so I don't feel too guilty.

Buffalo
12-10-2005, 04:08 PM
dryline it ~ two day Job!

Barbarossa
12-12-2005, 11:10 AM
I've never yet managed to find "one coat paint" that didn't require me to put two coats of it on the walls anyway... :frusty:

Sara, I hate decorating too, i just dislike all the mess and the disruption. Also, I then get all OCD about the paintbrushes, etc...

Do you need new carpets? If so, then I can recommend some carpet fitter, so long as you don't expect them to turn up at any given time... :dabs:

sArA
12-12-2005, 02:43 PM
New carpet from carpetworld coming on Friday morning 'sometime' lol.

Which means that I have to finish the wallpapering.....1 wall done, 3 to go....all painting is now done.....

Then.....

A whole weekend of Ikea flatpack to make up....great

enoughfakefiles
12-12-2005, 08:26 PM
New carpet from carpetworld coming on Friday morning 'sometime' lol.

Which means that I have to finish the wallpapering.....1 wall done, 3 to go....all painting is now done.....

Then.....

A whole weekend of Ikea flatpack to make up....great

We have a carpetworld.:unsure:

Gripper
12-12-2005, 11:29 PM
My new carpet is coming on friday as well,feckin ell they gonna be busy,bloke reackons he's coming at 7:00am,we will see:dry:

sArA
12-13-2005, 12:45 AM
Mmmmm mine could be anytime between 8.30 and 1.00 apparently.

One wall of papering left to go......and realised that I am going to have to ring the carpet shop and tell them that I do need new underlay after all (its bollocksed), and can they add it to the bill......now watch the fucking price rocket!

Gripper
12-13-2005, 06:19 AM
Shit Sara,the underlay cost's nearly as much as the carpet.
Try using your womanly wiles you may get a discount :)

Barbarossa
12-13-2005, 10:00 AM
My new carpet is coming on friday as well,feckin ell they gonna be busy,bloke reackons he's coming at 7:00am,we will see:dry:

:lol: Expect them to turn up no sooner than monday afternoon... :angry: