PDA

View Full Version : Symantec hopes to deliver antivirus online

peat moss
12-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Symantec will slowly move toward supplying its consumer applications--such as Norton Antivirus and Norton Utilities--as a service.

At a roundtable discussion in Sydney on Thursday morning, David Sykes, vice president of Symantec in the Pacific Region, explained that as broadband becomes ubiquitous and consumers get used to purchasing software online instead of in a box, security services--and even PC utilities--could be sold as a service.

According to Sykes, this is already happening in countries such as Korea where Internet service providers are reselling applications on behalf of security companies such as Symantec.

"The ISP licenses our product and delivers the service--they do the scanning, disk fragmenting and other stuff that Norton SystemWorks does--and they deliver that down the pipe," he said.

:source: Source: http://news.zdnet.com/Symantec+hopes+to+deliver+antivirus+online/2100-1009_22-5988162.html?part=netscape-zdnet&tag=mynetscape&subj=technews

BawA
12-09-2005, 06:43 PM
that means no more phone activation and lose of phone activation crack-trick :cry:

Skillian
12-09-2005, 07:54 PM
All software will be like this one day - you'll pay a set fee to use Microsoft Word for an hour, and won't even need it installed on your system.

We'll be renting out processing power and hard disk space too soon.

maebach
12-09-2005, 08:56 PM
OMG :fear2:

peat moss
12-09-2005, 09:18 PM
To be honest I'd "pay" for this first !

Quote : Symantec executives have in the past admitted that customers often complain about the size and resources used by its consumer applications such as Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security.

Last year, Mark Kennedy, architect, product delivery and response at Symantec, said the company would respond to customer feedback by making its flagship consumer product smaller and faster.

"The footprint of the product and the performance of the product is something that the consumer team is actively working on," Kennedy said at the time.

S!X
12-09-2005, 09:38 PM
that means no more phone activation and lose of phone activation crack-trick :cry:

:cry: When it happens were going to have to find an alternative.

reaktor
12-09-2005, 09:50 PM
With the way companies are always trying to push to see users systems and make sure that there is no unlicensenced copywritten material, I think I would just reformat everytime I had a problem and just continuously back up my data.

They state that its mainly for ease of use, but I have a hard time believing that since on networks, when a client gets a virus I disconnect that computer from the network to scan it so it doesnt spread. With this method, you cant do that.

I think its just a ploy for them to save money from not having to manufacture the physical media and perhaps try to control the copyright infringement. Nothing more.

S!X
12-09-2005, 10:23 PM
With the way companies are always trying to push to see users systems and make sure that there is no unlicensenced copywritten material, I think I would just reformat everytime I had a problem and just continuously back up my data.

Reformatting all the time would be such a pain, its bad enough just doing it once :ermm:

peat moss
12-09-2005, 11:51 PM
I think its happening already my ISP has a free program called Shaw Secure to D/L for its customer base , I havn't tryed it tho, I hate using an all in one security suite .

Its based on F-secure I think , the intent is there which is good as they can only do so much .

reaktor
12-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Reformatting all the time would be such a pain, its bad enough just doing it once :ermm:

Not for me it isnt, but then again I reformat 2 different ways. 1) Reformat with unattended winxp install and 2) on my server, reformat and reinstallation of ghost image.