PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!

asmithz
12-09-2005, 04:08 PM
I really suck looking up info on how to fix stuff. The problem is both my heater and Bath are broken. The heaters wiring is wrong. The bath leaks hot water and runs on gas. So my PG&E bill has went from $95 to $295. Can you suggest what to do, or sites that may help me?

Yogs
12-09-2005, 04:15 PM
You have a bath that runs on gas??? :fear:

Agrajag
12-09-2005, 04:18 PM
I really suck looking up info on how to fix stuff. The problem is both my heater and Bath are broken. The heaters wiring is wrong. The bath leaks hot water and runs on gas. So my PG&E bill has went from $95 to $295. Can you suggest what to do, or sites that may help me?
Don't fanny about with electricity and gas, that's my suggestion.

vidcc
12-09-2005, 04:25 PM
the leak sounds like a washer needs changing on the tap or if it is a sealed unit then a replacement tap. this may help (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1881738125.1134145061@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdhaddghefeldhcgelceffdfgidgkk.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=Know%20How&MID=9876&pos=n28)

If you are unsure as to the heater wiring then you need to consult a professional. How do you know it's wrong anyway?

Busyman
12-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Seek profffesssional hellllpp.

Why does your bath run on gas?

Agrajag
12-09-2005, 04:35 PM
the leak sounds like a washer needs changing on the tap or if it is a sealed unit then a replacement tap.
Based on what, he just said his bath was leaking. If the tap was leaking then surely he would have said .... the tap is leaking.

Or do you know that he is a mental and can understand him better than the rest of we.

asmithz
12-09-2005, 04:59 PM
I really suck looking up info on how to fix stuff. The problem is both my heater and Bath are broken. The heaters wiring is wrong. The bath leaks hot water and runs on gas. So my PG&E bill has went from $95 to $295. Can you suggest what to do, or sites that may help me? Seek profffesssional hellllpp.

It's old i guess, the gas is for the hot water.

The bath isnt leaking cuase of a washer. I think it's cuase when i turn the hot water off, it doesnt shut off complety. No matter how hard i turn it.

GepperRankins
12-09-2005, 05:03 PM
isn't merkin mains AC?

if it's just like a filament thingy, it can't be wired up wrong :dabs:

Mr JP Fugley
12-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Seek profffesssional hellllpp.

It's old i guess, the gas is for the hot water.

The bath isnt leaking cuase of a washer. I think it's cuase when i turn the hot water off, it doesnt shut off complety. No matter how hard i turn it.
Is it leaking from the tap.

DanB
12-09-2005, 05:53 PM
If the hot tap isnt shutting off preoperly when you turn it off then yes it does need re-washering, and if your hot water is heated by gas and its constantly trickling then it will be being constantly heated hence the large gas bill

asmithz
12-09-2005, 06:10 PM
If the hot tap isnt shutting off preoperly when you turn it off then yes it does need re-washering, and if your hot water is heated by gas and its constantly trickling then it will be being constantly heated hence the large gas bill
Exactly, that is why i need to fix it. I think that might be the reason my heater doesnt work eaither. I think it is eating the water so much that it cant heat the heater :-p

@Mr JP Fugley, yea its leaking from the tap

I am trying to find the main water main, so I can shut off the water. That to, I am having a hard time finding lol.

My mom said that it is outside underground, and i read that online too, but i dont know where.

JPaul
12-09-2005, 06:37 PM

Probably a washer then.

If it's the hot water then it's not the water main you need to turn off, you don't get hot water from the street.:blink:

asmithz
12-09-2005, 06:42 PM

Probably a washer then.

If it's the hot water then it's not the water main you need to turn off, you don't get hot water from the street.:blink:

Its not the washer, its the hot water not shutting off all the way. I wanted to turn the water off, so i can take it apart and see why. :unsure:

Gripper
12-09-2005, 07:38 PM
http://www.diydata.com/problem/taps/washer_replace.htm

This is how you change the washer

vidcc
12-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Probably a washer then.

Its not the washer, its the hot water not shutting off all the way. I wanted to turn the water off, so i can take it apart and see why. :unsure:
If there is not a stop valve to shut the hot water off from from the out pipe on the furnace or an individual one for that tap there should be a stop valve entering the furnace.(set the temp. to zero while you are working) If the tap is leaking it is because the washer has perished and can not make the seal. If it is a ball valve tap then you might as well replace it.
May i suggest you install a shut off valve for the tap while you are at it to save future messing.

j2k4
12-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Something is amiss in your deduction.

If your "wiring" is fecked on your water heater, to the extent it does not heat water, then what you are leaking from the hot tap on your shower wouldn't be too hot.

First of all, it is highly unlikely you would have an electric water heater and gas heated (hot water) bath.

The gas-valve/thermostatic control on your water heater may indeed be mal-functioning, but if you have hot water leaking from your bath tap, it is functioning to some extent, and not leaking gas, which is your primary safety concern.

There may be a shut-off (somewhere/anywhere) between the water heater and your bath; look for it, and if you find it, turn it off.

Do NOT shut off the cold water feed to your water heater!

If your bath-tap is not horribly old, you can disassemble it and remove the core, which assembly includes the washer/seat.

If you can remove this, intact or in pieces, take it to your nearest building supply/plumbing store, and find a replacement.

Install it as you buy it, and you should have fixed whatever leak bedeviled you.

When you've completed this task, we'll look at the water heater.

Actually, you might even contact PG&E before you start; some utilities make goodwill visits (under the guise of safety programs) to help sort these types of problems.

tesco
12-10-2005, 12:04 AM
What is wrong with the Heater that makes you think it's wired wrong?
That I can help with. :01:

Gripper
12-10-2005, 12:05 AM

Its coal powered:lol:

asmithz
12-10-2005, 12:55 AM

It may not have a problem, It could be having heating issues becuase of the bath always leaking hot water. One problem tho, is a thermostat wont work on it for some reason, and I have it not hooked up. I just have the two wires, and when i want the heater on I connect the wires. ;)

tesco
12-10-2005, 01:12 AM

It may not have a problem, It could be having heating issues becuase of the bath always leaking hot water. One problem tho, is a thermostat wont work on it for some reason, and I have it not hooked up. I just have the two wires, and when i want the heater on I connect the wires. ;)
Buy a new thermostat then. :P

Guillaume
12-10-2005, 01:14 AM
I see the Hardwareworld curse is spreading.

All of you repent before it's too late.

:wacko:

asmithz
12-10-2005, 01:23 AM
It may not have a problem, It could be having heating issues becuase of the bath always leaking hot water. One problem tho, is a thermostat wont work on it for some reason, and I have it not hooked up. I just have the two wires, and when i want the heater on I connect the wires. ;) Buy a new thermostat then. :P

I have, and it still dosent work.