PDA

View Full Version : Optical Mice

Grim
04-20-2003, 03:20 AM
I visited a friends house last week & he had an optical mouse, as you can imagine i was curious. So today i decided to spend my last tenner (£10) on one which had FIVE buttons. The truth is i really needed a new one anyway cos i beat my other one to death practically (got a vicious temper). The point is if you havent got one, GO GET ONE NOW. They're so smooth, feels great.

PS. how long have these things been around, i don't get around much, just sit here in front on my PC all FU*KIN day & night. :(

Jeez i must be bored posting shit like this :lol:

Los
04-20-2003, 03:27 AM
they have been around for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time..........

Darth Sushi
04-20-2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Grim@20 April 2003 - 04:20
PS. how long have these things been around, i don't get around much, just sit here in front on my PC all FU*KIN day & night. :(
At least 10 years. My first one required a special mouse pad. Today, you can use any surface.

Grim
04-20-2003, 03:54 AM
10 years is a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time, i gotta get oot more :P

Schmiggy_JK23
04-20-2003, 03:58 AM
ten years? are u sure sushi?

I thought the original ms explorer optical was one of the first... and that came out back in like, 98-99....

get a mx500 by logitech, its the best mouse around.

clocker
04-20-2003, 04:40 AM
I've got a wireless optical mouse ( Microsoft) and I like it alot, but it does tend to eat batteries. I wanna get one of those new 3D ones that has a recharging/docking station right after I save up to get a decent monitor.

Darth Sushi
04-20-2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by Schmiggy_JK23@20 April 2003 - 04:58
ten years?  are u sure sushi? 

I thought the original ms explorer optical was one of the first... and that came out back in like, 98-99....

get  a mx500 by logitech, its the best mouse around.
The first one I had did not use IR technology used today. It needed a special mouse pad to reflect the light back. I may be off by a couple of years but I'm pretty sure it was before 95. Remember, Microsoft is not an innovator; they are just a marketing giant.

From PC World:

Optical mouse technology isn't a new concept; Mouse System patented and introduced the first optical mouse with no moving parts in 1982. The company also developed the scrolling mouse wheel in 1994, which Microsoft licensed in 1998 for its first IntelliMouse. Mouse Systems still sells optical mice, but they differ from Microsoft's new design because they require a special mouse pad with a high-resolution grid pattern.

Spindulik
04-20-2003, 05:12 AM
Optical Mouse is THE THING! INSTANT RESPONSE!! No ball lag. I need to get a place mat or small carpet for mine. Playing Unreal Tournament, I knock stuff over and spill cups and stuff.

Schmiggy_JK23
04-20-2003, 05:18 AM
nice quote sushi... i never knew that... just knew that that ms mouse was the first, "mainstream" optical i guess...

the new mx700, if you want wireless, is the way to go, as it has no wireless lag, and is super accurate.

ToddM
04-20-2003, 05:24 AM
I've got one. And I would NEVER go back to the old-fashioned ball-type mouse.

I work with AutoCAD everyday, and require that my mouse be smooth, precise, and easy on the hand/wrist.

I tried several different mfgs/models of optical mice, including both Microsoft and Logitech. The Microsft products sucked, IMO, so I decided to go with Logitech, which if youve ever used a Logitect product, you know how great their products are. I wanted to use a chordless optical mouse, but found that because of the (2) aa batteries required (and located inside the mouse), my wrist would become fatigued within 30 minutes of use due to it's weight - remember, I am running AutoCAD, so my hand/wrist/arm are in constant motion. I ended up with the "Logitech Wheel Mouse Optical Blue". This is the least expensive optical mouse in Logitech's line, and it is also their best performing, IMO. The final cost for this Ultra-Smooth, Super Precise, Never Needs Dust or Hair Removed Optical Mouse = $4.99 after rebates.....so I purchased 4 of them. My wrist LOVES this mouse, and I am able to zero-in on any point while working in AutoCAD.

I cannot say enough about this mouse, and would reccomend anyone who is readey to get into the optical mouse world to give this one a try.

Hope this helps someone.

hawk
04-20-2003, 06:41 AM
if had mine for a few years now, theres just no comparing them :P to rolly ball thingies

DarthInsinuate
04-20-2003, 07:38 AM
i'd like one, i hate cleaning the gunk out of my mouse's arse :angry:

i think weemouse might have something to say about that

amphoteric88
04-20-2003, 08:00 AM
i've got the bog standard microsoft wheel mouse optical. pretty cheap (around £20) and great value for money. as someone already said, get one of these straight away. optical mice are well worth the outlay (which isn't too much). lets face it, what's the point having a brilliant computer and having a ball mouse. ball mice just frustrate me now, when i use a ball mouse now, it's actually really frustrating.
i do have one small problem now though. when moving really small distance my mouse is slightly jerky compared to my old one. i'm just using it on a standard mouse mat, but over very small distances the movement is a little unpredictable. however, this is a small trade off for the overall performance of the mouse. plus, the model i have is hardly top of the range, so what could i expect :P

tzone
04-20-2003, 08:01 AM
ow oow i have one *jumps up through the crowd waving arm*

tzone
04-20-2003, 08:03 AM
please visit my forum My forum (http://tzone.to-j.com/index.php)

WeeMouse
04-20-2003, 08:50 AM
i'd like one, i hate cleaning the gunk out of my mouse's arse 

i think weemouse might have something to say about that

I'm a special edition mouse where this kind of thing is not required! :D

require that my mouse be smooth, precise, and easy on the hand/wrist.

Hey - you just described me! :lol:

Rocktron
04-20-2003, 08:56 AM
Hhahahahaaha :D WeeMouse WeeMouse... you crack me up every time! :lol:

WeeMouse
04-20-2003, 09:00 AM
WeeMouse WeeMouse... you crack me up every time! 

Thank you :lol:

just for the record, I do have an optical mouse...his name's bert and he's my best friend!

I cannot say enough about this mouse

hey ToddM, were you talking about me, too?! :lol:

Grim
04-20-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Darth Sushi+20 April 2003 - 05:59--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Darth Sushi @ 20 April 2003 - 05:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Schmiggy_JK23@20 April 2003 - 04:58

The first one I had did not use IR technology used today. It needed a special mouse pad to reflect the light back. I may be off by a couple of years but I&#39;m pretty sure it was before 95. Remember, Microsoft is not an innovator; they are just a marketing giant.

From PC World:

Optical mouse technology isn&#39;t a new concept; Mouse System patented and introduced the first optical mouse with no moving parts in 1982. The company also developed the scrolling mouse wheel in 1994, which Microsoft licensed in 1998 for its first IntelliMouse. Mouse Systems still sells optical mice, but they differ from Microsoft&#39;s new design because they require a special mouse pad with a high-resolution grid pattern. [/b][/quote]
Microsoft are very good at imitating & copying. As an example look at the "About Internet Explorer" in the help menu. :lol:

Bass
04-20-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Darth Sushi@20 April 2003 - 04:29
At least 10 years. My first one required a special mouse pad. Today, you can use any surface.
Yeh, I use mine on the dog&#33; :lol:
cheers,
Bass.

masta.z
04-20-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Grim+20 April 2003 - 15:57--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Grim @ 20 April 2003 - 15:57)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Darth Sushi@20 April 2003 - 05:59
<!--QuoteBegin--Schmiggy_JK23@20 April 2003 - 04:58

The first one I had did not use IR technology used today. It needed a special mouse pad to reflect the light back. I may be off by a couple of years but I&#39;m pretty sure it was before 95. Remember, Microsoft is not an innovator; they are just a marketing giant.

From PC World:

Optical mouse technology isn&#39;t a new concept; Mouse System patented and introduced the first optical mouse with no moving parts in 1982. The company also developed the scrolling mouse wheel in 1994, which Microsoft licensed in 1998 for its first IntelliMouse. Mouse Systems still sells optical mice, but they differ from Microsoft&#39;s new design because they require a special mouse pad with a high-resolution grid pattern.
Microsoft are very good at imitating & copying. As an example look at the "About Internet Explorer" in the help menu. :lol: [/b][/quote]
you mean you want me to open up IE?? nae chance :P

WeeMouse WeeMouse... you crack me up every time&#33;

i agree :D

Colt Seevers
04-20-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by kcn@20 April 2003 - 08:03
What the hell are you talking about? Can&#39;t get in to your forum, but it better be about optical mice, or related to this thread in some way ;)

I use the Logitech dual optical, bloody marvellous&#33; Haven&#39;t looked back since I got it, took me a while to adjust to it, but for gaming and the like it&#39;s unsurpassed imho. :D

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/dualoptical.jpg

http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/20011026/images/dualdetail.jpg

pyromonkey
04-20-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Colt Seevers+20 April 2003 - 16:49--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colt Seevers @ 20 April 2003 - 16:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--kcn@20 April 2003 - 08:03
What the hell are you talking about? Can&#39;t get in to your forum, but it better be about optical mice, or related to this thread in some way ;)

I use the Logitech dual optical, bloody marvellous&#33; Haven&#39;t looked back since I got it, took me a while to adjust to it, but for gaming and the like it&#39;s unsurpassed imho. :D

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/front/dualoptical.jpg

http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/20011026/images/dualdetail.jpg [/b][/quote]
y post a link to your forum in the middle of a topic about optical mice?&#33;?&#33;?&#33;

i started a thread about people who have their own forums... POST IT THERE&#33;

P.S. I use a micro&#036;oft optical blue... although i&#39;m a linux fan myself (if linux made hardware... :D )

Grim
04-20-2003, 04:32 PM
What do you use Masta.z. i have tried Netscape & did&#39;nt like it. What&#39;s my other options for webbrowsers?

WeeMouse
04-20-2003, 04:46 PM
QUOTE&nbsp;
WeeMouse WeeMouse... you crack me up every time&#33;&nbsp;

i agree&nbsp;

:"> ...you people are too kind&#33;

its the best mouse around.

:&#39;(

ThR^
04-20-2003, 09:29 PM
mx500 0wnz&#33; all mouses&#33;&#33;

Lamsey
04-20-2003, 09:47 PM
Optical mice are the only way to go.

Yeh, I use mine on the dog&#33;
I tried that - it works&#33;

They&#39;re really handy for taking with a laptop - no need for a mat&#33;

"The Avatar Man"
04-20-2003, 09:49 PM
Yeh, I use mine on the dog&#33;
yeah me too..oh wait what are you guys talking about,,,umm never mind
but seriously doesn&#39;t he/she move around too much?

Lamsey
04-20-2003, 10:04 PM
not if you tell her to stay.

She does look confused though...

ooo
04-20-2003, 10:05 PM
hello.... lol

amphoteric88
04-21-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Grim@20 April 2003 - 17:32
What do you use Masta.z. i have tried Netscape & did&#39;nt like it. What&#39;s my other options for webbrowsers?
try fast browser and opera
i&#39;ve only tried fast, it&#39;s pretty good
heard that opera is supposed to be the best non ie
good luck

Wolfmight
04-21-2003, 12:12 AM
i got one, cant go back to ball mice... I had horrible times with em. worth the extra &#036;10 or whatever...saves alot of stress

btw like u got a ball mouse and it gets clogged...you will suck at online fps gameing also ;) . laser is little more pricey, worth it

Luca_Snipes
04-21-2003, 12:34 AM
i have optiacal mice for both my PC and laptop, and can&#39;t imagine using a mouse with a ball again...i just wish my logitec cordless mouseman optical wouldn&#39;t eat through battries though <_<

Grim
04-21-2003, 12:39 AM
Why was this moved???????????????????????????????????????????????
This is a general chat, there is nothing broke, no problems, no NOTHING, JUST A GODDAM CHAT. :angry:

accat13
04-21-2003, 12:57 AM
I&#39;ve got two computers hooked up side by side right now lol, one has a logitech and the other microsoft...My opinion the logitech is more comfortable has better response time but sucks on batteries..go logitech and keep a spare wire mouse around for the moments you run out of batteries... :lol: ps gets confusing sometimes I grab the wrong mouse... :lol: :lol:
Grim Posted on 20 April 2003 - 19:39
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a general chat, there is nothing broke, no problems, no NOTHING, JUST A GODDAM CHAT.&nbsp; chat chat chat :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jayhawk
04-21-2003, 03:12 AM
i have an optical mouse as well. There was this guy who came down and he had this pretty sweet optical wireless mouse. He was talking where you could get these real cheap over the internet does anyone know any sites? I forgot what site he said

Grim
04-21-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by accat13@21 April 2003 - 01:57
I&#39;ve got two computers hooked up side by side right now lol, one has a logitech and the other microsoft...My opinion the logitech is more comfortable has better response time but sucks on batteries..go logitech and keep a spare wire mouse around for the moments you run out of batteries... :lol: ps gets confusing sometimes I grab the wrong mouse... :lol: :lol:
Grim Posted on 20 April 2003 - 19:39
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a general chat, there is nothing broke, no problems, no NOTHING, JUST A GODDAM CHAT.&nbsp; chat chat chat :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blah&#33; Blah&#33; Blah&#33; :lol:

Lamsey
04-21-2003, 01:48 PM
This is a general chat, there is nothing broke, no problems, no NOTHING, JUST A GODDAM CHAT.&nbsp;
It&#39;s a discussion about hardware, so it&#39;s more relevant to have it in hardwareworld...

Livy
04-21-2003, 02:00 PM
i got one, well two, got one for my laptop nd one for my desktop, works a hell of alot better than ball mice.

Schmiggy_JK23
04-21-2003, 03:48 PM
Colt... if you really want "thee gaming mouse", i would definately check out the mx500... in its short time since release, it has already become the leading mouse among the counter strike community. half of the members of my clan use it. Google up some reviews, and check it out, you wont be disapointed, and hey, if you are, you can always return it.

I use this... then use my old MS optical explorer that i put onto my brothers machine, and think to myself... how the hell did i do with this on counterstrike, lol... and my awping skills (sniping), have increased greatly with this mouse, and some nice everyglide mouseskatez