PDA

View Full Version : Giganews binary retention increased to #70 days

Chewie
12-10-2005, 11:54 AM
source (http://www.giganews.com/news/article/46)

Giganews is proud to announce that we have upgraded our storage capacity for the fourth time this year, which has enabled us to further improve our service to you. Giganews now offers:

Binary retention of approximately 70 days!
Text retention of over 875 days!
10 concurrent connections per account!
We are pleased to be able to continue to offer our customers the best Usenet service for your money, and we look forward to offering you many more great benefits for being a Giganews customer.

There are no configuration changes necessary to start enjoying our new retention levels, and all of the spools are already full.

Damnatory
12-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Now if only they would stop limiting their unlimited accounts, it might be worth the arm and leg they charge. :(

backlash
12-11-2005, 12:12 AM
limiting their unlimited? why the hell would they do that? if u pay for unlimited shouldn't u get what you pay for?

/me is so happy she's got a good ISP with a good news server

Damnatory
12-11-2005, 03:30 AM
limiting their unlimited? why the hell would they do that? if u pay for unlimited shouldn't u get what you pay for?

They put a hard limit on users with unlimited accounts who they feel are "abusing" the bandwidth.
Happened to me, and if you google it, you'll see that it's happened to alot of others too.

despikable
12-11-2005, 03:33 AM
Oh well at least its bringing competition( i Hope it causes newshosting to match or do better)

MultiForce
12-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Never got any limit on mine account. Got 8 Mbps and downloading about 300 - 400 Gb per month at full speed. Thats from the European cluster though. Used it
for 6 months now.

SingaBoiy
12-16-2005, 12:40 PM

They put a hard limit on users with unlimited accounts who they feel are "abusing" the bandwidth.
Happened to me, and if you google it, you'll see that it's happened to alot of others too.
I only have problems sometimes. Doesnt seem to be connected with how much I download in a certain period though. More of it just being their server im connecting to messing up.

Only problem I have with the service is that I cant connect from 2 locations at 1 time :unsure:

RealitY
12-20-2005, 04:00 AM
Only problem I have with the service is that I cant connect from 2 locations at 1 time :unsure:
You can with NewsHosting though...

:D :D

Damnatory
12-20-2005, 05:07 AM
You can with NewsHosting though...

:D :D
Yeah it's "frowned" on, but Newshosting won't do anything about it, if you decide to use your account in more than one place at a time. :D

Just to stay alittle on topic here, NewsHosting announced they are now hosting 40 days of Binary retention. The best just gets better. :P

shazer
12-28-2005, 10:49 AM
My problem in Giganews is that they only allow 10 conections, so i download at 50 kbs. I contacted them and they told me it was a ISP problem, but itīs not!

I'am using Easynews right now and i download at 400 kbs. (they have just gave +20 GB free!)

Yeah it's "frowned" on, but Newshosting won't do anything about it, if you decide to use your account in more than one place at a time. :D

What do you mean by that?

Damnatory
12-28-2005, 11:34 AM
My problem in Giganews is that they only allow 10 conections, so i download at 50 kbs. I contacted them and they told me it was a ISP problem, but itīs not!

Dude with 10 connections you could conceivable be getting 20Mbit/s easily from Giganews, considering I can max my 5Mbit on 2 connections with NewsHosting. It's definately an ISP problem with allowing that sort of bandwidth.

shazer
12-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Hmmm ... with 10 connections only i download at 5/6 kbytes/s per connection. Is there any app to boost my individual speed connections or should i contact my ISP?

MultiForce
12-28-2005, 03:15 PM
I use Giganews and have max download speed available on my internet connection with both 5 and 10 connection. I have also used the same account on 2 other ISP's and it's the same thing. So I don't think Giganews is the problem. (Tested at 2 ISP's in Sweden and 1 ISP in Norway)

I have used both Grabit, Newsleecher and Newsbin Pro.

Razz
01-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Same here really,

I use giganews, and my reader is Newsbin Pro

I have no problems downloading at my max speed of my isp - i switch between 5-10 connections dependant on what im downloading, but usually 5 - and i get anything between 8-10MBit