PDA

View Full Version : A good firewall? Zone Alarm seems to dragg ass.

Wolfmight
12-12-2005, 12:46 AM
Zone alarm is giving me issues on all the machines I run it on. Even after a Fresh Install of Windows XP, Zone Alarm still gives me issues.
What's another good one out there?

peat moss
12-12-2005, 01:02 AM
Look n stop is good but troubling to set up with p2p programs . Symantic Internet Security is also good but I did read your post on Norton products .

http://www.looknstop.com/En/index2.htm

zapjb
12-12-2005, 02:00 AM
I like GhostWall. It has no app control. But I use ProcessGuard for that.

abu_has_the_power
12-12-2005, 02:05 AM
i just use my router with NAT. i use protowall + blocklist manager for protection. and i use nod32 for antivirus. hardly uses any system resources

and wat's awesome is my router doesn't slow down my speed @ all! i peak @ 550kb/s with torrents all the time

peat moss
12-12-2005, 02:21 AM
You know I still like ZA Pro but an older version ...... say 5.5 or there abouts with out all the extras . I'v tryed so many , using Symantic Client Firewall right now and it seems easy to setup ,no problems with p2p programs less resources blah bla . :D

suprafreak6
12-12-2005, 02:42 AM
i hate symatic personally ive been using zonealarm for a while, and its pretty decent for average intelligance users like me, but i am using an older version, the new versions are garbage, anyways my birthdays in like 4 days!

peat moss
12-12-2005, 03:20 AM
Ah your above average intelligance !:) Your the one asking for advice , stupid people don't ask . Happy early bday by the way . :)

nanotek
12-12-2005, 04:09 PM
try an older copy of sygate , works sweet for me

Wolfmight
12-12-2005, 09:42 PM
Well ZoneAlarm seems to be ok now. Strange, but I just hope they update their previous update's memory issue soon.

neoLeech
12-19-2005, 03:34 AM
try outpost pro or Lavasoft.Personal.Firewall:lol:
I've had great luck with these

fkdup74
12-19-2005, 06:47 PM
gotta throw in another vote for look n stop :)

just switched over to it from sygate pro
sygate was so good for so long, but lately it's been acting up
on my last install it seems to not want to remember any settings
window keeps popping up from the sys tray about blocked apps
even after I'd clicked the "stfu and dont tell me about this again" box about a billion times :dry:

yes I am behind a router, but I still like the extra layer of protection,
and look n stop hasnt given me one ounce of shit since I installed it :happy:

peat moss
12-20-2005, 03:29 AM
@Fkdup , I realy liked Look n stop but the advanced rules settings screwed my p2p program emule . I got the idea from one of Zapjb, posts but think He had problems with MSN aswell . So now I'm useing Symantec Client with out a hitch , very easy to use and locks you up tighter than a nuns pie hole .

I think my problem with LNS was more of a config problem with emule . One of days Ill read the FAQ . :blushing:

zapjb
12-20-2005, 06:16 AM
peat moss I'm using GhostWall right now. Very light. Freeware. Added 1 rule to be totally stealth. Has no app control. I use ProcessGuard for app control. So it's perfect. Cause I wouldn't be without ProcessGuard. So I don't need a heavy pf.

fkdup74
12-20-2005, 09:17 AM
@Fkdup , I realy liked Look n stop but the advanced rules settings screwed my p2p program emule . I got the idea from one of Zapjb, posts but think He had problems with MSN aswell . So now I'm useing Symantec Client with out a hitch , very easy to use and locks you up tighter than a nuns pie hole .

I think my problem with LNS was more of a config problem with emule . One of days Ill read the FAQ . :blushing:

so far I haven't seen any problems with Soulseek,
but then I ain't that heavy of a user as I used to be
but I just grabbed a fairly large file the other day,
and I do believe it was after I installed Look n Stop :unsure:

anyway, what would you be knowing about a nun's pie hole? :O

:P

RealitY
12-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Im still using Sygate and if you want the free version get it whike its still around...
http://www.simtel.com/product.download.mirrors.php?id=53687

fkdup74
12-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Im still using Sygate and if you want the free version get it whike its still around...

you know that comment struck me as funny....so I went to Sygate's site...
sure enough, fuckin Symantec bought em out
news to me as I haven't been to that site in, oh I don't know, like forever

Symantec and Microsoft must be havin a contest to see who can buy out the competition faster :P
"If you can't beat em.....BUY EM!" :lol:

peat moss
12-21-2005, 03:40 AM

you know that comment struck me as funny....so I went to Sygate's site...
sure enough, fuckin Symantec bought em out
news to me as I haven't been to that site in, oh I don't know, like forever

Symantec and Microsoft must be havin a contest to see who can buy out the competition faster :P
"If you can't beat em.....BUY EM!" :lol:

Well I see " You " never read our News section ! :lol: But the Firewall issue always made me think do the firewall testing sites really work ?

As for the nun crack , my wife has a "habit " its called Bingo . ;)

http://www.google.ca/search?hs=fPZ&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=firewall+test&btnG=Search&meta=