PDA

View Full Version : Cant Format C Drive

red devils
12-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Does anybody know how to format c drive,as i cant do it,i need urgent help,i am trying to format c drive from command prompt but i cant do it,and i have rebootable win xp cd but the cd doent picks up the setup when i restart the computer,so i need urgent help

backlash
12-13-2005, 07:01 PM
you can't format a drive you're using.

you probably need to set it to boot from the cd from within the bios. Take note of what it says when you reboot...Look for press __ for setup. it's probably the del key or maybe F2.

red devils
12-14-2005, 01:53 AM
But i dont how to change the setting in bios,i need more info on it,so can anybody give me step by step info in how to change the bios setting,as when i insert my rebootable cd,the cd automatically doesnt catch the setup when i restart my pc...

tesco
12-14-2005, 02:42 AM
what model computer or motherboard?

red devils
12-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Its a normal pc

thewizeard
12-14-2005, 11:35 AM
..a normal pc...that really is informative, if you wish step by step help, then you will have to do some work too...so what make is your motherboard, (MSI or Intel or..)and what bios have you ( Award?)...mostly one enters the bios by pressing the delete key during the "boot" then you need to set the bios to boot from cd as an earlier user already has pointed out...

Virtualbody1234
12-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Based on the posts so far in this thread... Get someone to do it for you.

This also has nothing to do with 'Internet & Programming'.

Schuler
12-15-2005, 02:57 AM
Do you have a floppy drive and a floppy disk handy?

If so, go here http://www.killdisk.com/
Then follow instructions.

However if your XP CD won't boot into setup mode you might have a bit of tuorble installing it back into your system...

zaphodiv
12-15-2005, 07:49 AM
Bear in mind that killdisk will remove all the partitions on the drive. If there is a drive d: with data for use by a system restore CD it will be gone after you use killdisk.

You have to recreate partitions on the drive with FDISK after you do a complete wipe with a utility such as killdisk.

Virtualbody1234
12-18-2005, 02:25 AM
Bear in mind that killdisk will remove all the partitions on the drive. If there is a drive d: with data for use by a system restore CD it will be gone after you use killdisk.

You have to recreate partitions on the drive with FDISK after you do a complete wipe with a utility such as killdisk.
FDISK is obsolete. Doesn't support NTFS.

Bootup with the XP CD and all the partitioning and formatting tools, including NTFS, are right there at the beginning of the setup.

Wolfmight
12-18-2005, 02:15 PM
After using the Windows XP disk to format your drive, make sure you don't let it install it's files. (unless your install windows again).
Other wise, you can turn the system off after the format. I'm not sure if the installation has a quit button, but you can just press the restart button if that's the case. Take out the cd immediately upon restart.

fkdup74
12-19-2005, 03:36 AM
http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec020203.html

FYI.....most BIOSes I've worked in, have ESC as the "oh fuck I didn't mean to do that" key
simply put, browse around in the BIOS, enter a settings page,
if it's not what you are looking for, hit ESC

clocker
12-19-2005, 03:40 AM
http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec020203.html

FYI.....most BIOSes I've worked in, have ESC as the "oh fuck I didn't mean to do that" key
simply put, browse around in the BIOS, enter a settings page,
if it's not what you are looking for, hit ESC
That's why "ESC" is short for "Eeeek, shit, crap!".
And I'll bet you thought it was for "escape".

peat moss
12-20-2005, 04:05 AM
I do about two a month for friends and yes I still boot from win me start up floppy, fdisk then boot from cdrom . Old habits die hard but its what your use to .

Whats the point of having guides if no one points to them ?

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=97309

I have used Bawa's , post over the phone to help some one thousands of miles away to format and reinstall , and it always worked I could ask what screen do you have , what colour black or blue ?

Credit is something you earn and many times they thought I wrote it ........ Not. :lol: I'v even printed for Noobies , works great . :) Good job Bawa still reliavant EH ?