PDA

View Full Version : 'Don't drop out and drive '

peat moss
12-15-2005, 06:05 AM
Thought this was off the wall ,can remember being 16 and having to drop out of school to help support the family . I think its mean spirited but time will tell .

Link :http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/story.html?id=74f8452b-5faf-4a93-b533-bc1e4e9f6b4d&k=97517

JPaul
12-15-2005, 08:11 AM
Good idea, well done Canadia.

DanB
12-15-2005, 09:53 PM
I left school at 16 and I can't drive :(

peat moss
12-16-2005, 03:08 AM

Do you really mean that JP ? You can vote , drink (some countries ) and join the army @ 18 . But can't drive ? Seems rather drastic .

I apoligise for not putting the link in the thread properly by the way . :D

TORONTO - Ontario high school students who apply for a driver's licence will be forced to show proof they are attending school as part of proposed legislation raising the provincial dropout age to 18.

Everose
12-16-2005, 04:55 AM
Peat, I noticed that it excluded those that have jobs with 'learning components.' I have to wonder who is going to be the judge of which jobs contain learning components.

peat moss
12-16-2005, 05:39 AM
@ Rose or a farming community ? The little buggers are driving tractors at 7 or 8 ? But nice to see a womens perspective , I missed that learning componets bit by the way sorry . :blushing:

MagicNakor
12-16-2005, 04:06 PM
There are "work-learn" programs in Canada, and it is also possible to begin your trade apprenticeships in a similiar manner. I believe that would be what they refer to with "learning components."

:shuriken:

Mr JP Fugley
12-16-2005, 05:04 PM

Do you really mean that JP ? You can vote , drink (some countries ) and join the army @ 18 . But can't drive ? Seems rather drastic .

I apoligise for not putting the link in the thread properly by the way . :D

TORONTO - Ontario high school students who apply for a driver's licence will be forced to show proof they are attending school as part of proposed legislation raising the provincial dropout age to 18.

Sorry must have mis-read, I thought 18 year olds could get the licence and it was 16-17 year olds who would be effected.

When can you get a licence without an "educational component".

peat moss
12-17-2005, 06:57 AM
Guys and girls , I read a follow up to this in the local paper ,I thought was funny .

Three examples of High school drop outs Henry Ford , (he knew cars !) Richard Bransten the Mega store guy , and Thomis Edison . Made me think :) in all honesty I have a young daughter (15) having trouble in school , and would do anything to keep her on the straight and narrow so will use this to an unfair advantage .

JPaul
12-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Henry Ford was a nazi

If you mean Richard Branson he went to Stowe, a famous English Public School (high fees etc), ergo his folks had a few quid to help him set up his first business (Virgin). He certainly didn't leave it at 16. If you mean someone else, my bad.

Don't know who the other chap is.

GepperRankins
12-17-2005, 11:19 AM
nice one canada. make it harder for the kids who will struggle to find jobs :thumbsup:

Mr JP Fugley
12-17-2005, 12:08 PM
nice one canada. make it harder for the kids who will struggle to find jobs :thumbsup:
just the ones who leave school early and don't get an apprenticeship.

j2k4
12-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Henry Ford was a nazi

And this led him to quit school? :huh:

Mr JP Fugley
12-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Henry Ford was a nazi

And this led him to quit school? :huh:
what makes you think that, i'd be very surprised if that was the case.

GepperRankins
12-17-2005, 06:16 PM
just the ones who leave school early and don't get an apprenticeship.
agreed

j2k4
12-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Henry Ford was a nazi

Many others were taken in by Hitler; Charles Lindbergh and T.J. Watson, Sr. come to mind.

Reprehensible as Henry Ford's personal views may have been, he was not a Nazi.

Back on topic, now. ;)

Mr JP Fugley
12-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Henry Ford was a nazi

Many others were taken in by Hitler; Charles Lindbergh and T.J. Watson, Sr. come to mind.

so the anti-semitic publications, the substantial financial support for the nazi party and the medal he received from them (the highest available to a foreigner) are all to be ignored then.

i think not mon ami. he may not actually have been a card carrying member ....but then

j2k4
12-17-2005, 08:02 PM

so the anti-semitic publications, the substantial financial support for the nazi party and the medal he received from them (the highest available to a foreigner) are all to be ignored then.

i think not mon ami. he may not actually have been a card carrying member ....but then

Ah, I see.

Much as our stateside Democrats bought into the idea of Saddam's WMD.

I see your point. :P

JPaul
12-17-2005, 08:18 PM

Ah, I see.

Much as our stateside Democrats bought into the idea of Saddam's WMD.

I see your point. :P

Yeah, the one put forward by your Republican Government.

Bottom Line, Henry Ford, the great American Industrialist published anti-semitic writings and was a a substantial supporter (probably the biggest overseas one) of the rise of the nazi party. For which they decorated him.

Charles Lindbergh, the great American Hero rallied people to support the nazi party and is thought by many to have recruited many others to their "cause".

No wonder you didn't join in with WWII, you were too feckin embarrased.

Didn't Ford supply vehicles to the nazi's

Ford was also active in Nazi Germany's prewar preparations. In 1938, for instance, it opened a truck assembly plant in Berlin whose "real purpose," according to U.S. Army Intelligence, was producing "troop transport-type" vehicles for the Wehrmacht. That year Ford's chief executive received the Nazi German Eagle (first class)....

The outbreak of war in September 1939 resulted inevitably in the full conversion by GM and Ford of their Axis plants to the production of military aircraft and trucks.... On the ground, GM and Ford subsidiaries built nearly 90 percent of the armored "mule" 3-ton half-trucks and more than 70 percent of the Reich's medium and heavy-duty trucks. These vehicles, according to American intelligence reports, served as "the backbone of the German Army transportation system."....

After the cessation of hostilities, GM and Ford demanded reparations from the U.S. Government for wartime damages sustained by their Axis facilities as a result of Allied bombing... Ford received a little less than $1 million, primarily as a result of damages sustained by its military truck complex at Cologne...

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=4368

j2k4
12-17-2005, 08:30 PM
You are right on all counts; he was, in fact, so enthusiastic about the Nazi cause he discomfited Herr Hitler mightily by flooding the German roadways with his automobiles.

This spurred Hitler to enlist F. Porsche to develop his Volkswagon.

Still doesn't make him a Nazi, sorry.

Hitler himself was a poor excuse for a Nazi, being Jewish and all-he was Schickelgruber/Salemon specie, as I recall.

JPaul
12-17-2005, 08:36 PM
You are right on all counts; he was, in fact, so enthusiastic about the Nazi cause he discomfited Herr Hitler mightily by flooding the German roadways with his automobiles.

Hitler himself was a poor excuse for a Nazi, being Jewish and all-he was Schickelgruber/Salemon specie, as I recall.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck you must begin to suspect it is some species of aquatic fowl.

He was a feckin nazi, whether he ever joined the party or not.

j2k4
12-17-2005, 08:54 PM

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck you must begin to suspect it is some species of aquatic fowl.

Pffft.

I have a cat that quacks like a duck; if pressed, I can quack like a duck myself.

I'd bet I could teach you to do it inside 30 seconds.

We may need manker's services here...

JPaul
12-17-2005, 09:07 PM

if pressed, I can quack like a duck myself.

Which part would one need to press to achieve this duckly curmudgeon.

http://www.angelfire.com/nj3/test/duk.jpg

j2k4
12-17-2005, 09:49 PM
if pressed, I can quack like a duck myself.

Which part would one need to press to achieve this duckly curmudgeon.

http://www.angelfire.com/nj3/test/duk.jpg

The duckly curmudgeon button, obviously.

It is clearly labeled. ;)

Biggles
12-18-2005, 12:44 PM
In the 1920s and 1930s a great many people were extremely sympathetic towards Franco, Mussolini and Hitler and the other rather totalitarian right wing leaders of the time (ie the Romanian royal family - not to mention members of our own royal family). Being a Fascist pre 1939 was not considered an insult by those leaned in that direction.

Anti-semeticism was rife and in Europe and the US. Prejudice and discrimination were commonplace. Groucho Marx passed comment to this effect in referring to his difficulty in joining his local golf club although lesser lights in the Jewish community suffered far more degrading prejudice.

During this period, eugenics societies were unembarrassed about discussing improving the gene pool and in a number of US states criminals (often black) were sterilised as a matter of course.

It was only after the horrors of the Nazi regime were revealed in the late 40s that everyone began to (rather sharpishly) distance themselves from such points of view and personal histories were re-written.

j2k4
12-18-2005, 01:58 PM
In the 1920s and 1930s a great many people were extremely sympathetic towards Franco, Mussolini and Hitler and the other rather totalitarian right wing leaders of the time (ie the Romanian royal family - not to mention members of our own royal family). Being a Fascist pre 1939 was not considered an insult by those leaned in that direction.

Anti-semeticism was rife and in Europe and the US. Prejudice and discrimination were commonplace. Groucho Marx passed comment to this effect in referring to his difficulty in joining his local golf club although lesser lights in the Jewish community suffered far more degrading prejudice.

During this period, eugenics societies were unembarrassed about discussing improving the gene pool and in a number of US states criminals (often black) were sterilised as a matter of course.

It was only after the horrors of the Nazi regime were revealed in the late 40s that everyone began to (rather sharpishly) distance themselves from such points of view and personal histories were re-written.

So there. :snooty:

billy boy
12-18-2005, 02:44 PM
how do you people manage to turn a topic about not being able to leave school and drive into a discussion about whether or not Henry Ford was a nazi :lol:

Biggles
12-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Although we may make it look simple it is in fact due to years of hard work and practice.

j2k4
12-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Although we may make it look simple it is in fact due to years of hard work and practice.

JP and I are the forum's foremost practitioners of the various O.T. arts. :D

We've had to refine our talents for use in The Drawing Room, otherwise the mods would give us the toss, you see.

JPaul
12-19-2005, 05:36 PM
how do you people manage to turn a topic about not being able to leave school and drive into a discussion about whether or not Henry Ford was a nazi :lol:
The chap who started the thread mentioned that Mr Ford had left school early and had still turned out OK.

I thought it worthy of mention that he (Ford, not Moss) was an anti semite who published pamphlets supporting his view, a financial / ideological supporter of the nazi party, a war profiteer and a generally all round bad egg.

j2 just talked pish trying to defend the actions of a great American capitalist hero, as is his wont.

The rest, as they say, is chmistry.

j2k4
12-19-2005, 09:15 PM

I thought it worthy of mention that he (Ford, not Moss) was an anti semite...

A worm unturned, but moving in a different direction, nonetheless...:D

peat moss
12-21-2005, 02:56 PM
I think thats that the beauty of this forum so mant twists and turns , always keeps me entertained tho . I usually start a topic from the heart , forget about it then come back for an update and think did I really say that ? :lol:

JPaul
12-21-2005, 04:36 PM
I think thats that the beauty of this forum so mant twists and turns , always keeps me entertained tho . I usually start a topic from the heart , forget about it then come back for an update and think did I really say that ? :lol:
You chaps from Canadia are weird.

maebach
12-21-2005, 08:42 PM
no is not/.

MagicNakor
12-21-2005, 10:59 PM
There isn't much else to do up here beside post random topics on message-boards.

Except moose, but we let the folks in the Yukon have them.

JPaul
12-21-2005, 11:00 PM
There isn't much else to do up here beside post random topics on message-boards.

Except moose, but we let the folks in the Yukon have them.

You "do" moose :sick:

MagicNakor
12-21-2005, 11:01 PM
Only so often as the Scots "do" sheep. ;)

JPaul
12-21-2005, 11:35 PM
Only so often as the Scots "do" sheep. ;)

So frequently, well.

Biggles
12-23-2005, 12:29 AM
Did someone say sheep? :naughty:

maebach
12-23-2005, 03:18 AM
:lol: I guess i'll get the moose