PDA

View Full Version : American version of "The Office"

junior005
12-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Hello all ,

New bloke here , anyone seen the American version of "The Office" ?

Is it any good ?

Been living in South America for a while just wondering if its worth checking out.

Cheers

Cheese
12-15-2005, 04:36 PM
I like it. Obviously it is not as good as the British version but it still makes me chuckle and cringe. Steve Carell, who plays the David Brent character, is pretty ace in everything I've seen him in.

Edit: Welcome btw :D

Santa
12-15-2005, 05:01 PM
heres a thread on it - http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t93095.html

Agrajag
12-15-2005, 05:04 PM
I like it. Obviously it is not as good as the British version but it still makes me chuckle and cringe. Steve Carell, who plays the David Brent character, is pretty ace in everything I've seen him in.

I totally agree.

The new ones, where they don't use the original stories are also good, but starting to get a wee bit Americany.

Also with the welcome.

Busyman
12-15-2005, 05:16 PM
I wish they made Office Space for the small screen.

The American version of the office is in it's second season and with the popularity of Steve Carell now, it will probably go farther.

I have seen more episodes than the dismal first one and I like it better now. I say that because I saw the one where they had a basketball competition in the storeroom and I lmao :lol: :lol: . The part where he assumed the black fella could play ball was priceless.

However, I'm not a regular watcher 'cause there's so many other better shows on TV.

In fact, the only comedy I watch now is in the form of cartoons....

Boondocks
American Dad
Family Guy
Drawn Together

Busyman
12-15-2005, 05:18 PM

I totally agree.

The new ones, where they don't use the original stories are also good, but starting to get a wee bit Americany.

Also with the welcome.
Hmmm...besides the original being British, the American version seemed Americany enough.:unsure:

From what I saw of the first season episodes, Steve Carrell seems like Gaylord Focker.

Cheese
12-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Boondocks

Ace show :D

Drawn Together

Que?

Mr JP Fugley
12-15-2005, 05:31 PM
I totally agree.

Also with the welcome.
Hmmm...besides the original being British, the American version seemed Americany enough.:unsure:

From what I saw of the first season episodes, Steve Carrell seems like Gaylord Focker.
but you're an American, you don't really understand satire. so it's more likely that you'd appreciate the less subtle new series, which is also good, but different.

Proper Bo
12-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Drawn Together
Que?

shite, it's on paramount and mtv (sums it up really):dabs:

manker
12-15-2005, 06:20 PM
I think it's pretty good too, only seen the first series so far.

However, the Gareth guy is shite :dabs:

Mr. Mulder
12-15-2005, 06:26 PM
It hasn't got Ricky Gervais in it, so the chances of it actually being funny are a lot better :dabs:

Mr. Mulder
12-15-2005, 06:27 PM
Given the fact that Ricky Gervais is an overrated unfunny turd :dabs:

Mr JP Fugley
12-15-2005, 06:46 PM
i think he's V funny.

Mr. Mulder
12-15-2005, 06:49 PM
so does the rest of Britain, apparently :dabs:

Busyman
12-15-2005, 06:50 PM
Ace show :D

Drawn Together

Que?
It's...

The Surreal Life but

a cartoon and has

Captain Hero (a 70's Superman:ermm: )
Toot (a fat ass Betty Boop in black white)
Spanky Ham (a crass internet download pig)
Princess Clara (an unknowlingly racist and naive Princess)
Ling-Ling (Pikachu)
Foxxy (a black hoochie momma that looks she came from Josie and The Pussycats)
Xandir (an in-denial gay videogame adventurer)
Woldoor Sockbat (whateverthefuck)

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t84009.html

Busyman
12-15-2005, 06:57 PM

but you're an American, you don't really understand satire. so it's more likely that you'd appreciate the less subtle new series, which is also good, but different.
Oh I understand it since...I don't know....just about all of American sitcoms are based on satire :ermm: . Keep in mind Americans seem to like The Office enough since it got a second season. I mean the shows that are dominating over here are crime dramas, so for a sitcom to "make it" says alot.

I like the show aaiiiight but can't watch everything so it's one of many shows that got the axe for me. That dismal first episode surely didn't help.:dry:

I also like the episode when the "Office" had diversity training. That was hilarious.

Busyman
12-15-2005, 06:59 PM
I do hope that The Office is not the climax of Britcoms.:ermm: I liked it but it didn't burst my gut with laughter.

Mr. Mulder
12-15-2005, 07:12 PM
I do hope that The Office is not the climax of Britcoms.:ermm: I liked it but it didn't burst my gut with laughter.

Have you seen an episode of Extras? You'd get more laughs getting your cawk stuck in your zipper, which sums up nicely how painful it is to watch :dabs:

I'd say Peep Show is the funniest thing we have atm, hasn't failed once thus far :01:

Mr JP Fugley
12-15-2005, 07:23 PM
i liked extras as well, but not as much as the office. it was ok but not bigly funny.

Mr. Mulder
12-15-2005, 07:25 PM
was it really meant to be funny? rly? :dabs:

Busyman
12-15-2005, 07:26 PM

Have you seen an episode of Extras? You'd get more laughs getting your cawk stuck in your zipper, which sums up nicely how painful it is to watch :dabs:

I'd say Peep Show is the funniest thing we have atm, hasn't failed once thus far :01:
Yeah I liked Extras at first but stopped watching it after a bit. HBO is bringing the second season over soon.

There's too much on to watch over here so I have to be very discerning. Oddly enough, I do watch the show Wanted which is full of (I guess:unsure: ) the American braggadocio that Brits are always blabbering about.:ermm:

Mr. Mulder
12-15-2005, 07:26 PM
Little Britain used to be funny and catherine tate can be funny sometimes, but Peep Show ftw :01:

Busyman
12-15-2005, 07:32 PM
was it really meant to be funny? rly? :dabs:
As ziggy said before....

It's like a whole different over there.:unsure:

....but whatever works.....that's why we have different TV markets.

It does seem that, sans American comedy, our other TV shows seem to go over quite well abroad.

I was curious as to why Dr. Who hasn't been brought over here yet. My guess is that the BBC is shopping it for the best deal...even if it's on another network (besides BBC America).

That was one of few Brit shows I downloaded, watched, and enjoyed 'cause I remember the original from Public Television when I was a kid.

Busyman
12-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Little Britain used to be funny and catherine tate can be funny sometimes, but Peep Show ftw :01:
I'll have to check that out. Thanks Mulcadia.;)

If it's dry as fuck, I'm going to find you in Canada and vivisect you, mmk? :D
I don't like my entertainment time wasted.:frusty:

Mr. Mulder
12-15-2005, 08:40 PM
o rly? :naughty:

no it's not dry i don't think, lots of funny jokes blurted out at random sort of thing :01:

Agrajag
12-15-2005, 08:47 PM

Yeah I liked Extras at first but stopped watching it after a bit. HBO is bringing the second season over soon.

I wasn't even aware they had made a second series.:blink:

Busyman
12-15-2005, 08:51 PM

It hasn't been made yet, silly.:ermm:

It is being co-produced by HBO. Gervias has asked Tom Cruise to be in an episode.

Mr JP Fugley
12-15-2005, 09:02 PM

so how are they bringing it over soon, if it's not made.:blink:

Busyman
12-15-2005, 09:03 PM

I consider next year...soon, as far as TV is concerned.

Mr JP Fugley
12-15-2005, 09:23 PM
I consider next year...soon, as far as TV is concerned.
ah, so what you are saying is that HBO will be broadcasting the second series of extras some time in 2006.

Cheese
12-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Green Wing was/is the funniest British comedy I've seen in ages. Little Britain is funny but over-rated, Peep Show I'm warming to, Extras was great and Monkeydust was pure godliness.

Cheese
12-15-2005, 09:29 PM
I consider next year...soon, as far as TV is concerned. ah, so what you are saying is that HBO will be broadcasting the second series of extras some time in 2006.

Better get a video tape ready, it's on soon.

Mr. Mulder
12-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Monkeydust and Green Wing ftw, as does Bromwell High :01:

Cheese
12-15-2005, 09:36 PM
Bromwell High :01:

Que?

I don't have a TV so sometimes miss out on new British shows. Only found out about Monkeydust and Green Wing about six months ago, though it did mean I got to watch them all back to back. Same with Peep Show, only saw it a few weeks ago...:blushing:

Mr. Mulder
12-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Bromwell High :01:

Que?

I don't have a TV so sometimes miss out on new British shows. Only found out about Monkeydust and Green Wing about six months ago, though it did mean I got to watch them all back to back. Same with Peep Show, only saw it a few weeks ago...:blushing:

jebus man, don't you study the telly guides each morning? :unsure:

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/B/bromwell_high/

i think UKnova has them all, very good for a drunken laugh it is, which is why it was on late friday nights a few months ago :01:

DorisInsinuate
12-15-2005, 10:03 PM
I didn't find Green Wing funny at all for some reason, I might have been watching that House show by mistake. Ahhh, Fry and Laurie :happy:

DanB
12-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Monkeydust FTW :01:

Peadofinder General :lol:

Busyman
12-15-2005, 10:52 PM
ah, so what you are saying is that HBO will be broadcasting the second series of extras some time in 2006.

TIVO :snooty:

HeavyMetalParkingLot
12-15-2005, 10:54 PM
TIVO :snooty:

I was about to ask who the heck still uses video tapes......DVRs rock.

Mr. Mulder
12-15-2005, 10:58 PM
ive had the same video player (vcr) for nearly 5 years and it still works perfecly, got it running through my pc. only use if for the x files though, which are all on vhs :01:

Emdee
12-16-2005, 02:32 AM
Glad to see they've learned some lessons from the American version of "Red Dwarf" :pinch:

Barbarossa
12-16-2005, 10:25 AM

The thing with Ricky Gervais is you get the impression he doesn't have to act that much to be David Brent...

Same with Steve Coogan/Alan Partridge. (Which incidentally, still gets my vote as the funniest sitcom of the last 10 years...)

Mr JP Fugley
12-16-2005, 05:18 PM

The thing with Ricky Gervais is you get the impression he doesn't have to act that much to be David Brent...

Same with Steve Coogan/Alan Partridge. (Which incidentally, still gets my vote as the funniest sitcom of the last 10 years...)

http://caribzones.com/06czadvocate2.jpg

Barbarossa
12-16-2005, 05:28 PM
no, rly. :ermm: