PDA

View Full Version : stereo cd-r playback

johnq86
12-17-2005, 02:13 AM
my friend got rid of his stereo because it didnt play burned cd's.is there anyway of modding the stereo to playback cd-r cds.

twisterX
12-17-2005, 02:42 AM
i dont think so. Old ones cant play cd-r's. i dont know why.

maybe he burned an mp3 cd. did he make an audio or mp3 cd?

tesco
12-17-2005, 04:16 PM
i dont think so. Old ones cant play cd-r's. i dont know why.
I have one that says made in 1988 that plays cd-rs fine.
I think it's jsut to do with the quality/power of the lens.

twisterX
12-17-2005, 04:39 PM
DAMN!! 1988. how much did that thing cost back then??

What brand is it.

tesco
12-17-2005, 04:46 PM
It's a maganavox CDB582. says october 1988 on the back.

We didn't buy it, someone gave it to us about 6 or 7 years ago and tht was our first cd player.

j2k4
12-17-2005, 05:13 PM
I have an Onkyo changer, vintage 1995, that plays MP3s.

I have several players which specifically disavow MP3 compatibility, and they all play them anyway.

I agree that there must be a narrow field of lens manufacturers whose products tolerate MP3s although the end retailer warns they won't play.

I know some of this can be mitigated by not pressing the burn rate on MP3s, but I've not had the problem, so...

Insofar as some lenses are used generically (and some digital converters likewise), it might pay to investigate who builds what for whom, and thus discover whose products might work for MP3 playback.

Mr JP Fugley
12-17-2005, 07:35 PM
I have an Onkyo changer, vintage 1995, that plays MP3s.

I have several players which specifically disavow MP3 compatibility, and they all play them anyway.

I agree that there must be a narrow field of lens manufacturers whose products tolerate MP3s although the end retailer warns they won't play.

I know some of this can be mitigated by not pressing the burn rate on MP3s, but I've not had the problem, so...

Insofar as some lenses are used generically (and some digital converters likewise), it might pay to investigate who builds what for whom, and thus discover whose products might work for MP3 playback.

what does the lens have to do with playing mp3s. if the machine doesn't know how to decode them then the lens matters not one fig.

are you sure you have a 10 year old cd player which plays mp3 files, did you perhaps dream this, after much appleing.

tesco
12-17-2005, 07:41 PM
I'm pretty sure the MP3 wasn't around until after 1995 so I doubt your player plays MP3 cds.
I tihnk you might be getting confused between an MP3 disc and an audio disc made from mp3s.

Mr JP Fugley
12-17-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm pretty sure the MP3 wasn't around until after 1995 so I doubt your player plays MP3 cds.
I tihnk you might be getting confused between an MP3 disc and an audio disc made from mp3s.
they were around before 1995, but not anywhere near as common. tho' i'm not sure if they were used in domestic appliances, probably just a computery type thing way back then

j2k4
12-17-2005, 08:11 PM
JP-

Decoding, right.

In any case, I am quite sure my Onkyo DX-C211 6-disc changer plays MP3s, as I am (as I type this) playing an old 8X MP3 I burned in my 2001 vintage NEC NR7800A which was OEM on my Dell.

The dulcet tones of Ella Fitzgerald emanating from my Klipsch RF-35 speakers are lovely, indeed.

BTW-Ross...

These are originals ripped to MP3 format and played in my CD player.

JPaul
12-17-2005, 08:32 PM
JP-

Decoding, right.

In any case, I am quite sure my Onkyo DX-C211 6-disc changer plays MP3s, as I am (as I type this) playing an old 8X MP3 I burned in my 2001 vintage NEC NR7800A which was OEM on my Dell.

Well I suppose if you're actually listening to mp3s on it then that pretty well covers that. Incontrovertible evidence and so forth.

Did it cost a quadrillion dollars (£18.27) back then.

j2k4
12-17-2005, 08:49 PM
JP-

Decoding, right.

Well I suppose if you're actually listening to mp3s on it then that pretty well covers that. Incontrovertible evidence and so forth.

Did it cost a quadrillion dollars (£18.27) back then.

About $275 as I recall.

I don't pretend to know how/why it works; I've got portable players, boom-boxes, etc, that pre-date MP3s, and a deck in my car that says they won't play.

In and amongst all the equipment hereabout, an old Sony boombox my wife brought to our marriage is the sole non-player.

RealitY
12-17-2005, 09:01 PM
These are originals ripped to MP3 format and played in my CD player.
Are you sure you dont mean the reverse that youve taken the mp3 and used a program like to wmp to put them on disc. Programs such as wmp and others convert the files back to wav/cda which is the same as store bought cd media wise. However if your saying you can put those mp3 files on a disc in data format and play them thats rather amazing. You could put the contents of at least 10 regulars cds on one disc if you want then and use that unit.

As for myself I have a very old cd player around the same date as rossco cd player that plays cdr just fine when written in wav/cda although when I tested cdrw wouldnt play them. As for playing mp3 in data format not even a chance...

EDIT: Thought to take a look around Google out of curiosty
Worlds First MP3 Player (http://news.com.com/Bragging+rights+to+the+worlds+first+MP3+player/2010-1041_3-5548180.html)

twisterX
12-17-2005, 09:06 PM
yea im confused too.

MP3 CD= Mp3 burned as data playing. You can put 100's of them on one cd.

Audio Disc= Mp3 burned to a cd and automatically changed to wma. Fits around 20 songs.

JPaul
12-17-2005, 09:10 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you chaps think j2 is addled.

The chap told you he's playing mp3s.

RealitY
12-17-2005, 09:12 PM
yea im confused too.

MP3 CD= Mp3 burned as data playing. You can put 100's of them on one cd.

Audio Disc= Mp3 burned to a cd and automatically changed to wma. Fits around 20 songs.
I always confuse these also but if I remember correctly wma is that crap windows format which is compressed similar to mp3 and has drm cababilities whereas wav/cda is the original cd format that most apps convert files back to so they can play in almost any standard unit. I think Ive got that right anyway...

JPaul
12-17-2005, 09:12 PM
What's wma, when I convert mp3 I do it to cda (cd audio methinks).

RealitY
12-17-2005, 09:16 PM

Considering hes generally a bright chap I guess we could let it slide this time if so...

EDIT: Checks dictionary and relizes j2 is the bigo whiskey drinker.
A secret well kept from meself.

JPaul
12-17-2005, 09:20 PM

Considering hes generally a bright chap I guess we could let it slide this time if so...

You still don't believe him, do you.

RealitY
12-17-2005, 09:23 PM

Im trying to be nice but in short "fk no" especially after reading back hes got several units that are similarly amazing...

JPaul
12-17-2005, 09:23 PM

If he had any taste he would drink Whisky, but then he is an American so whatcha' gonna' do.

JPaul
12-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Im trying to be nice but in short "fk no" especially after reading back hes got several units that are similarly amazing...
So you think he is telling fibs about having this kit.

A tad h4r5h p'raps.

RealitY
12-17-2005, 09:26 PM
6000 Posts

Good thing this is the Lounge or Ide have to ban meself for a tad...

JPaul
12-17-2005, 09:27 PM
6000 Posts

Goof thing this is the Lounge or Ide have to ban meself for a tad...
Moderation for excessive h4r5hity would suffice.

RealitY
12-17-2005, 09:27 PM
If he had any taste he would drink Whisky, but then he is an American so whatcha' gonna' do.
Stop ragging thus Americans with them great grammers and all ffs...

RealitY
12-17-2005, 09:31 PM
6000 Posts

Goof thing this is the Lounge or Ide have to ban meself for a tad...
I thought it wouldve been for teh spammage not the h4r5hness.

Just noticed him viewing this thread while sorting through his stack of discs trying to make sence of this all. Oh shit now thats the h4r5hness you were speaking of. What type of moderation do you think would do...

JPaul
12-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Stop ragging thus Americans with them great grammers and all ffs...
If he had taste he would drink Scotch Whisky, not the inferior Whiskey as cooked elsewhere.

JPaul
12-17-2005, 09:33 PM

Just noticed him viewing this thread while sorting through his stack of discs trying to make sence of this all. Oh shit now thats the h4r5hness you were speaking of. What type of moderation do you think would do...
You must submit all of your posts to yourself prior to posting them.

For a whole week.

j2k4
12-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Alright.

If I rip a CD to MP3 using EAC/Lame and burn the resultant files to a CD-R using Nero, EZCD, or even WMP, I guess that makes it an audio CD.

I have an Onkyo CD changer and several other CD playback-capable units which will play such MP3-based CDs, only one of which is less than, oh, 3 years old.

Isn't this capability what the originator of this thread was referencing?

It would never occur to me to pop a data CD into any of my music machines.

What did you fellows think I was talking about?

RealitY
12-17-2005, 09:34 PM

You must submit all of your posts to yourself prior to posting them.

For a whole week.
I was thinking the same.
Sounds tedious...

JPaul
12-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Alright.

If I rip a CD to MP3 using EAC/Lame and burn the resultant files to a CD-R using Nero, EZCD, or even WMP, I guess that makes it an audio CD.

I have an Onkyo CD changer and several other CD playback-capable units which will play such MP3-based CDs, only one of which is less than, oh, 3 years old.

So you were talking pish after all .... and there was me supporting you.:(

j2k4
12-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Pish is in the eye of the beholder.

Perhaps you could do with a quick rinse...:huh:

BTW-

RealitY-

What is a BY-GO whisky-drinker?

RealitY
12-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Alright.

The original post was just refferring to playing cdr not any actual media type that I can think of but was most likely reffering to cda files like youve now cleared up. Somewhere along the way it got a tad confused as it seemed you were suggesting these relics played mp3 files as data which many new players do with no conversion back to cda needed allowing room for much more tuneage on teh disc.

Anyway it would seem all is clear now although I dont know if I can ever see you in the same light being a hardcore confused whiskey drinking American with bad taste at that...

JPaul
12-17-2005, 09:43 PM

Difficult to see how "I have an Onkyo changer, vintage 1995, that plays MP3s." can be misconstrued old chap.

It either does, or doesn't.

So .... which is it.

mp3s or mp3s converted to cda (otf)

j2k4
12-17-2005, 09:46 PM

Difficult to see how "I have an Onkyo changer, vintage 1995, that plays MP3s." can be misconstrued old chap.

So .... which is it.

The latter.

I apologize for your lack of discrimination. :D

JPaul
12-17-2005, 09:47 PM
The original post was just refferring to playing cdr not any actual media type that I can think of but was most likely reffering to cda files like youve now cleared up.

CD-R is a media type. Mp3 or CDA is a file type.

The medium is the actual physical thing it is recorded on, the file type is what is recorded on it.

RealitY
12-17-2005, 09:52 PM
The original post was just refferring to playing cdr not any actual media type that I can think of but was most likely reffering to cda files like youve now cleared up.

The medium is the actual physical thing it is recorded on, the file type is what is recorded on it.
Um gee thanks for clearing that up he who backs the pish.

I was actually saying the same thing I thought...

JPaul
12-17-2005, 09:52 PM

So .... which is it.

The latter.

But when I questioned it you re-inforced the claim by saying

JP-

Decoding, right.

In what was a quite frankly condescending tone.

To think I then supported you blindly, for shame.

RealitY
12-17-2005, 09:53 PM
My post count is HUGE yeaaaa...

JPaul
12-17-2005, 09:54 PM

No, you actually said exactly the opposite, whatever you thought you were saying.

It's a "what words mean", "what order you put them in" thing.

RealitY
12-17-2005, 09:56 PM

No, you actually said exactly the opposite, whatever you thought you were saying.

Ok Manker whatever you say...

JPaul
12-17-2005, 09:58 PM

Ok Manker whatever you say...
:lol:

The ultimate insult.

I'm hurt, hurt I tells you.

RealitY
12-17-2005, 10:05 PM
I didnt mean any offense I truly thought you were Manker ffs...

/me goes to panel and checks the logs while dropping cookie crumbs on the server.

RealitY
12-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Hay this looks to be a good watch see...
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=1212063#post1212063

JPaul
12-17-2005, 10:10 PM

You're pushing yer luck now, matey boy.

RealitY
12-17-2005, 10:11 PM

You're pushing yer luck now, matey boy.
Oh noessssssss...

j2k4
12-17-2005, 10:45 PM
The latter.

JP-

Decoding, right.

Which tone I adopted whilst laboring under your misapprehension of my original ill-formulated premise.

Tell you what:

Let's blame johnq86.

It seems he's left, anyway. :)

JPaul
12-18-2005, 09:18 AM

JP-

Decoding, right.

Which tone I adopted whilst laboring under your misapprehension of my original ill-formulated premise.

To interpret for the hard of thinking.

j2 posted pish, other people reacted to what he actually said.

He retorted in a sarcastic / aloof manner, thinking he had originally said something entirely the opposite of what he did actually say.

He now finds it impossible to say, oops my mistake.

j2k4
12-18-2005, 01:53 PM
my friend got rid of his stereo because it didnt play burned cd's.is there anyway of modding the stereo to playback cd-r cds.

This is what I responded to.

Oops, My mistake.

Right.

johnq86
12-18-2005, 07:15 PM
so whats the diffence between a mp3 cd or a music cd?isnt it the same?

Mr JP Fugley
12-18-2005, 08:13 PM

This is what I responded to.

Oops, My mistake.

Right.
:lol:

tesco
12-18-2005, 10:43 PM
so whats the diffence between a mp3 cd or a music cd?isnt it the same?
An MP3 CD is a data cd with actual MP3 files on it.
An audio cd is the MP3 or whatever music filed encoded to work in a stereo cd player.

Audio CDs are limited to 80minutes while MP3 discs are 700mb meaning a lot more songs.

Barbarossa
12-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Some older stereos can play audio CD's burnt on CDR disks, some cannot. It just seems to be luck of the draw.

Hardly any "older" ones (if any at all) will play Data CD's containing MP3's.

You'd be lucky to have one that plays CDRW disks either, even if it has been burnt as an audio cd (dunno why you'd want to do that anyway :P )

No matter what the source of your song (mp3, wav, wma, etc...), the songs on an audio CD will always be burnt in cda format, for compatibility in audio cd players.

I think that's right. :happy:

JPaul
12-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Some older stereos can play audio CD's burnt on CDR disks, some cannot. It just seems to be luck of the draw.

Hardly any "older" ones (if any at all) will play Data CD's containing MP3's.

You'd be lucky to have one that plays CDRW disks either, even if it has been burnt as an audio cd (dunno why you'd want to do that anyway :P )

No matter what the source of your song (mp3, wav, wma, etc...), the songs on an audio CD will always be burnt in cda format, for compatibility in audio cd players.

I think that's right. :happy:
Why didn't you post that right at the start and save a lot of bother, bawbag.

PS normal CD players can often play wav files as well, but that's not important right now.