PDA

View Full Version : Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones

kotel
12-18-2005, 09:15 PM
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/object/736/736199/princeofpersiatwothrones_pcboxboxart_160w.jpg

December 12, 2005 -
[Ed's note: Hey there, Prince fans! If you're an avid reader of IGN you'll notice that this quaint little review of Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones is a copy of the same one that ran on our GameCube, PlayStation 2 and Xbox channels. This is because the games are virtually identical across all platforms, save for a few bits here and there.

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/672/672820/prince-of-persia-the-two-thrones-20051201070743364.jpg

That being said, you will also notice some slight variations in the scores at the end of this article. Of course, we must consider a game's native environment when assigning our ratings and while consoles are inundated with action platformers, the PC is starving for a good one. Our scores must then reflect Prince's more significant presence on this platform -- plus this game is just a wee bit better. But then all that will be explained in brief at the end of this article.
If you are, however, simply wondering if this particular version of Two Thrones is identical to the others in terms of content and also functional, wonder no longer: The games are clones of one another and this one works just fine.

Now please enjoy the rest of our regularly scheduled review.]

Once upon a time...
To appease the lowbrow demands of 100 million casual gamers unwilling to spend cash for Ubisoft's brilliant Sands of Time game, the company took Warrior Within into the more digestible realm of "action" and away from the realm of "thinking-man's platformer."

Swords and shadows! Dirt and "bitches!" Warrior was to be Ubi's sinister, consumer friendly modification of the fundamental Sands mechanics that were ever so thrilling and critically acclaimed. But despite best efforts and a healthy dose of hard rocking, Warrior Within cheesily fell short of the amazingly high bar its predecessor set. In trying to appeal to more folks by lining the game with more stuff, much of the original magic was lost. Indeed, an excess of scantily clad women, shadowy beasts and heavy riffs made Warrior Within ordinary, for when all is dark and grimy, even the dark and grimy become bright. A good rule of thumb is to understand when one more stroke is too many and when an excess of magic is drab.

Sadly, it seemed back then that a title of Sands of Time's caliber would just not come, given the new path laid down by Warrior Within for the Prince series. Boy does it ever feel good to be wrong! I'm dazzled. Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones is Sands of Time reborn.

Vantage Point

Music, art, acting, acrobatics...story! Each universally applauded part of Ubisoft's first marvelous foray into the Sands of Time trilogy has been recreated here with care and cunning, save for the scarred and craggy, battle-hardened face of our champion. And yet, while this third game offers so much indisputable greatness, it still grips tight to the failing philosophies of Warrior Within in just enough key areas. Two Thrones also suffers slightly from an imposing holiday deadline and the preposterously lofty expectations fans of Sands carry with them at all times.

Narrated now by the somber and knowing Empress of Time in a way that neatly ties the end of Two Thrones to the beginning of Sands, this Prince's journey begins much like Warrior Within or Shadow and Flame, in sea and turmoil. Approaching his home port of Babylon with Empress Kaileena under arm and the Dahaka defeated, the Prince looks forward to rest and comfort, though the smoking ruin of his city will give him none. With his land besieged, his vessel burned, his woman bound, and his house in ruin, the Prince sets out to free his love, reveal his enemy, punish his rivals, and put his home to rights. But even champions are subject to the whims of fate. Along the way the Prince will encounter old friends, older relations and new foes. His story will unwind backward and at once spring forward into a climatic choice between light and dark -- the Two Thrones, one of self-serving indulgence and personal achievement, and the other of unbridled heroism despite consequence.

Reforming the Prince into his original shape was a bloody good idea! Genteel as he is, Yuri Lowenthal's Prince of Persia in The Sands of Time is far preferable to Warrior Within's Wolverine Clone #818. The gruff, self-serving madman who sought to stop the Empress's Sands at any cost was not the young royal plagued by distrust and delusions of glory we all loved. #818 was simply out of place in such a fairytale. So being back in Yuri's shoes just feels right.

Ubisoft also expertly balances Yuri's third Prince between two lines of starkly contrasting motivation, or the two thrones. Throughout the course of this adventure, the Prince must decide what's truly important. He must confront his Dark self as it struggles to gain a foothold on his conscious and he must also fess up to past crimes and move past them regardless of hardship (while listening to awesome music).

By linearly forcing the game on a railroad ride to an inevitable conclusion, and not focusing on the paradoxical "Superman can now fly around the Earth backward real fast" time traveling mechanic to undo old problems and create new ones, Ubi has done away with backtracking and also recaptured the sense of urgency and achievement that were so prevalent in Sands.

Guyver
12-18-2005, 09:25 PM
id play it if it wasnt for fuckign Starforce...

asmithz
12-18-2005, 11:29 PM
id play it if it wasnt for fuckign Starforce...

I beat it, I have an xbox :P

Adster
12-19-2005, 12:24 AM
i Have to buy it fuck pulling out my box adn fuckign unpluging fuckign cords all the time although I here that NFORCE 3 adn 4 boards can get aroudn starforce and i have a nofroce havn;t tried it yet

Peerzy
12-19-2005, 01:20 AM
i Have to buy it fuck pulling out my box adn fuckign unpluging fuckign cords all the time although I here that NFORCE 3 adn 4 boards can get aroudn starforce and i have a nofroce havn;t tried it yet

What...The...Fuck?

Click Me Adster (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=english+lessons+online&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official)

Busyman
12-19-2005, 01:29 AM

What...The...Fuck?

Click Me Adster (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=english+lessons+online&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official)
:dry:

Formula1
12-19-2005, 02:53 AM
huh

http://ts.searching.com/torrent/479867/Prince_Of_Persia_The_Two_Thrones_SFCloneDVD_MiRROR_www_ultimate_bit_board_dl_am

silent h3ro
12-19-2005, 02:56 AM
What...The...Fuck?

:dry::dry: :dry:

Guyver
12-19-2005, 04:46 AM

What...The...Fuck?

HAhahah im with peerzy on that one, WTF!?!

Adster
12-19-2005, 12:07 PM

What...The...Fuck?

as usual perzy is on with his negative posatrs never seen a positive post from him

yes Im drunk so you can go suck my fuckign dick

Delorean
12-19-2005, 05:53 PM
You only have to use DT and unplug your IDE Drives from your pc and then play it!

Guyver
12-20-2005, 01:37 AM
You only have to use DT and unplug your IDE Drives from your pc and then play it!

ya who wants to do that....

cpt_azad
12-20-2005, 01:53 AM
ya who wants to do that....

people that don't have enough money to buy a game :huh:

Delorean
12-20-2005, 02:50 PM
I just unpluged my drive just to finish the game in like 3 days because i had nothing else to do :P then delete it! Big deal...

Peerzy
12-20-2005, 10:52 PM
What...The...Fuck?

as usual perzy is on with his negative posatrs never seen a positive post from him

I've made countless positive, understandable posts:rolleyes:

Sorry Adtser my bad-

aDSTar wtf??? ivee mad lotz of well gud p0sts i cnt cuont them coz thirer s0 mnay!!1!1!!

fuckign dick

silent h3ro
12-20-2005, 11:36 PM

Adster
12-20-2005, 11:56 PM

Sorry Adtser my bad-

aDSTar wtf??? ivee mad lotz of well gud p0sts i cnt cuont them coz thirer s0 mnay!!1!1!!

fuckign dick

I can understand that well why can't you?? ohh thats right you just the biggest critic on this forum Mr KNOW IT ALL in gamesworld

and you have always had in in for me ever since your buddies and the sam incident

Typical fucking poms

Peerzy
12-21-2005, 01:15 PM

Sorry Adtser my bad-

fuckign dick

Typical fucking poms

Ahhh, if we are gonna go down that road it must mean all Aussies are 13 year old kids with serious mental disorders that don't allow them to type properly, mate.

Please also link me to where i've 'had it in for you':unsure:

I can understand that well why can't you??

Ofcourse you can understand it knobjockey, you wrote it, you know what you mean, others don't.

Busyman
12-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Typical fucking poms

Ahhh, if we are gonna go down that road it must mean all Aussies are 13 year old kids with serious mental disorders that don't allow them to type properly, mate.

Ofcourse you can understand it knobjockey, you wrote it, you know what you mean, others don't.
It was fucked up but I understood it.

Didn't take too long either.....

I have to buy it. Fuck pulling out my Xbox and fucking unpluging fucking cords all the time. Although I hear that NFORCE 3 and 4 boards can get around Starforce, I have a NFORCE but I haven't tried it yet.

Seems to me you were either being a smartass or are too stupid. Adthomp's boxing glove typing is nothing new so all the "WTF!!!" was bullshit.

Peerzy
12-21-2005, 07:34 PM

It was fucked up but I understood it.

Didn't take too long either.....

I have to buy it. Fuck pulling out my Xbox and fucking unpluging fucking cords all the time. Although I hear that NFORCE 3 and 4 boards can get around Starforce, I have a NFORCE but I haven't tried it yet.

Seems to me you were either being a smartass or are too stupid. Adthomp's boxing glove typing is nothing new so all the "WTF!!!" was bullshit.

Yet the italic bit looks nothing like the bold bit, you've added in whole new words that were missing and he spelt stuff wrong so that it gave it another meaning.

I bet you didn't read his post and straight away know what he meant. You needed a few good reads and a quick think about what subject he might be talking about.

Delorean
12-21-2005, 08:41 PM
Guys come on.. this post is about prince of persia and you ended up talking about something way out of topic.. and even worse listening to peerzy's criticism!

we all know how negative he is, just ignore him! :P

Peerzy
12-21-2005, 10:15 PM
Guys come on.. this post is about prince of persia and you ended up talking about something way out of topic.. and even worse listening to peerzy's criticism!

we all know how negative he is, just ignore him! :P

Im not negative:dry: Im just anti-positive;)

Adster
12-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Typical fucking poms

Of course you can understand it knobjockey, you wrote it, you know what you mean, others don't.

you know I don't talk in AOL language which is what you were trying to make out I do LOLZ!!!!! oh U lov me!!!! my fone language!!

some of it you got right

cant be fucked linking you to other stuff but it seems like I post you criticize (sorry American spelling) me most of the time either if its about my typing which everyone is used to by now.

13 year old Aussie???? hahahahahahaha how did I know you were going to say that!!! everybody's come back is always a senseless age factor

never had anything against you peerzy but getting fed up and this has been a long time coming ive stayed calm for too long

and you know what thing I was talking about its why I don't go to the lounge anymore...or the Scots basically hate my guts.

so be it!!

ohh btw seeing I talk AOL language (which I have hatred for)

PWNED!!!! GEP RUELZ!!!!! I luv u all!!!! u r grate!!!!!!!!!

silent h3ro
12-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Stfu guys it's just a damn forum..... I used to care but it doesn't matter not like we see each other in real life (haha real life:rolleyes: )...

Peerzy
12-22-2005, 02:36 AM

Of course you can understand it knobjockey, you wrote it, you know what you mean, others don't.

you know I don't talk in AOL language which is what you were trying to make out I do LOLZ!!!!! oh U lov me!!!! my fone language!!

some of it you got right

cant be fucked linking you to other stuff but it seems like I post you criticize (sorry American spelling) me most of the time either if its about my typing which everyone is used to by now.

13 year old Aussie???? hahahahahahaha how did I know you were going to say that!!! everybody's come back is always a senseless age factor

never had anything against you peerzy but getting fed up and this has been a long time coming ive stayed calm for too long

and you know what thing I was talking about its why I don't go to the lounge anymore...or the Scots basically hate my guts.

so be it!!

ohh btw seeing I talk AOL language (which I have hatred for)

ADSTER I WUD REPLY 2 UR MORONIC POST IF I CUD UNDERSTAND ONE WORD OF TEH UT3R SHYTE U POST1!11!11 OMG LOL

http://ssshotaru.homestead.com/files/aolertranslator.html

:naughty:

silent h3ro
12-22-2005, 02:40 AM

:lol: Bookmarked!

Adster
12-22-2005, 03:37 AM

some of it you got right

so be it!!

ohh BTW seeing I talk AOL language (which I have hatred for)

ADSTER I WUD REPLY 2 UR MORONIC POST IF I CUD UNDERSTAND ONE WORD OF TEH UT3R SHYTE U POST1!11!11 OMG LOL

stop talking AOL language

btw you just replied to my utter shit post do you know this is sooooo 2003 talking about my typing?

Peerzy
12-22-2005, 12:19 PM

some of it you got right

so be it!!

ohh BTW seeing I talk AOL language (which I have hatred for)

stop talking AOL language

btw you just replied to my utter shit post do you know this is sooooo 2003 talking about my typing?

IM NOT TOKNG AOL TOK U AER!!!!!1 LOL I ALSO DID NOT REPLY I SIMPLY POSTED A MESAEG ON A FORUM AMEAD AT U!!11! WTF LOL IF U HAEV HAD SPALNG/TYPNG ISUES SINCE 203 WUD IT NOT B A GOD IEDA 2 START 2 MAEK THEM SLIGHTLY R3ADABL3 SONER RATHER THAN L8R?!!!?? OMG WTF LOL

Delorean
12-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Jeeezz this is aint gonna end soon! i wonder what could happen if they could see each other in reality!

Adster
12-22-2005, 10:52 PM
nothing would happen peerzy has completely gone from Adster can't type
example: fukc adn knwo

to lets talk in AOL language which I never talk in it absolutely shits me

I bet peerzy can't resist to reply again to this thread I KNOW he enjoys my utter shit crap posts so much he has to read them and make a comment about them

nothing against you peerzy I just don't know why you hate me so much

Peerzy
12-23-2005, 12:43 AM

I bet peerzy can't resist to reply again to this thread I KNOW he enjoys my utter shit crap posts so much he has to read them and make a comment about them

You do quite blatently have something against me :(

Adster
12-23-2005, 06:10 AM

You do quite blatently have something against me :(

nothing against you!!! several times you have commented about me in the typing area but you did it in a insult kinda of way sounding as though you were pissed with me

lets just drop this bullshit and bury the hatched and be friends I guess ive been a bit cranky this week

ApacNTS
01-02-2006, 10:29 PM
bringing back an old thread to say how great this game was. never played a game like this, but i def enjoyed it. the final cutscene was the best out of the whole game imo, and the trippy last battle was alot of fun. makes me want to go out and get the other ones, just so i see the whole story.